Star Trek: The Original Series and The Next Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Star Trek toys can go places where Star Wars toys simply cannot:

MEGO had a cornucopia of Star Trek toy designs in their R & D (Research and Development Department):

Last edited:

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
And what about justice for this woman whose son this crystalline entity form killed?

Is she just sh#t out of luck?
I'm breaking my "never respond to you" mantra because this is so important to say.

I wholeheartedly reject the premise that "justice" for murder can only exist if the perpetrator is killed. I cannot state this strongly enough.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
If we use Picard’s Next Gen logic, I guess we shouldn’t put him to death:

We should try to communicate with him and see what he needs. He’s just a cuttlefish and has as much right to be here as anyone else. Maybe we should try to get him to work at Target.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I don't understand how a person can be obsessed enough with Star Trek to think a walkie-talkie is a cool toy for kids because it says "Star Trek" on it, but not understand the concept of restorative justice.

You don't have to agree with it, but you should at least have a handle on the concept.

You'll be the only one surprised by this, but I do not in fact support the death penalty or permanent incarceration myself, so yes, I would in fact prefer to see a serial killer rehabilitated into society and working at Target if at all possible. If not, they'd stay in a clean cell, with a reasonable amount of social interaction and activity and regular visits from a therapist, in a facility that wouldn't tacitly permit gangs, fights, and abuse as part of the "punishment". You know. Like in Star Trek.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I don't understand how a person can be obsessed enough with Star Trek to think a walkie-talkie is a cool toy for kids because it says "Star Trek" on it, but not understand the concept of restorative justice.

You don't have to agree with it, but you should at least have a handle on the concept.

You'll be the only one surprised by this, but I do not in fact support the death penalty or permanent incarceration myself, so yes, I would in fact prefer to see a serial killer rehabilitated into society and working at Target if at all possible. If not, they'd stay in a clean cell, with a reasonable amount of social interaction and activity and regular visits from a therapist, in a facility that wouldn't tacitly permit gangs, fights, and abuse as part of the "punishment". You know. Like in Star Trek.

Star Trek is science fiction fantasy. It won’t work in real life. It goes against human nature, who we are at our core:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Sounds to me like you don't agree with Roddenberry's vision of the future after all.

I think an advanced civilization would more likely resemble something like this:

(cued to 1:45)

after trying Roddenberry’s vision of a communistic Utopian society of the future and realizing that once again (ie. the first time it was tried was during the Cold War) that it’s a nice-sounding idea but just does not work in practice because it does not align with human nature (eg. like capitalism does, which comes the closest to human nature).

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Wow I wonder how you could have ever come to the conclusion that the social environment you were raised in was the most natural one, you must be correct.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I think an advanced civilization would more likely resemble something like this:

(cued to 1:45)

after trying Roddenberry’s vision of a communistic Utopian society of the future and realizing that once again (ie. the first time it was tried was during the Cold War) that it’s a nice-sounding idea but just does not work in practice because it does not align with human nature (eg. like capitalism does, which comes the closest to human nature).
Sounds like you no longer agree with what you said before:
Roddenberry was a genius on the same level as Carl Sagan and Isaac Asimov.
So which is it? Was he a genius, or was he delirious? You can't have it both ways.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I've heard it said that there's no wrong way to be a Star Trek fan. It's convenient of you to collect so many of them in one place.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
So that's how they keep it secret. This coverup goes all the way to the top.

If you squeeze your brain at the right angle it might even explain the black badges.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Maybe they're psychic badges and just show the badge the other person expects to see.

Destron D-69

FF10F0
Citizen
because of lower decks making "badgie" these ones have to be black for diversity and to comply with the Oscars new rules for award qualification, they want to get Michelle another award for the section 31 film Xd

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Destroying the entity isn't justice, though. At least not the type of justice the Federation believes in, judging by the fact they don't execute their own criminals or hostile alien prisoners, either.

Not really what the federation does consistently though. I mean the Federation captured Lore, and he is a fully sentient being that had a kill count far below the CE, and they just disassembled him forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom