Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

DarkeklawGW

Immortal Maximal OC
Citizen
Also I go hard for the bit.. SO don't think I didn't go and get a bit of a Backstreet Boys song Translated into Klingon.

SenwI' rIlwI' je ((Everybody ))
SuDwI', tera' qeylIS je
ro'lIj yIchunqa'
SuDwI', tera' qeylIS je
romuluSngan
ghuy'cha', chal
Hu'tegh, HIja'.
jIQuch yIche'pu'mo', puqloDwI'pu' je.
'ach ro'nalDaj, 'ej ghItlhchoHDI',
toDuj'e' Daghajchu'meH bortaS'e'
SuvwI'na' pumvetlh, suDwI' yISov:
jIbelmoH'a'?
HIja'
va, wa' vIghur jIH neH jIghHa''a'?
HIja'
jIlegh'a'?
HIja'
qaSovbe''a'?
bImejDI' pa' DaHotlh
SenwI' rIlwI' je
HIja'
romuluSngan
HIja'
SenwI' rIlwI' je
romuluSngan
ghuy'cha', chal
wov
DaH ghu' DaQoyDI'.
yupma' mIn DaleghtaHvIS
qaStaHvIS ram, teSDu'lIjDaq chepqu'chugh
vaj QeHlu'bej
HU'tegh, jIH.
jIbelmoH'a'?
HIja'
va, wa' vIghur jIH neH jIghHa''a'?
HIja'
jIlegh'a'?

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I mean logically stuff would have to change. There is absolutely no way 2023 NOW would be indistinguishable from a 2023 where WWII took place from 1969-1975 instead of 1939-1945.

Yet that’s exactly what Paramount decrees and thus so it is.
A fair point, although one theory (not posited specifically on Star Trek, to the best of my knowledge, but I've definitely seen it elsewhere) would suggest that the timeline tends to smooth itself out the further from a change goes along (perhaps an inverse butterfly effect, if you will). In this reasoning, a more relevant example to what we see in Star Trek would be to say that 2023 (as we know it) would (or wouldn't) be the same if the Spanish Inquisition started in, say, 1732, rather than in 1702.

MrBlud

Citizen
A fair point.

It seems the Eugenics Wars bled into a lot of stuff with truly apocalyptic overtures like the Bell Riots, WWIII, etc in a way the Spanish Inquisition (AFAIK) did not.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
Pretty good episode. They didn't all quite land for me but still some good ones in there.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
It was fun and it looked like they probably had fun doing it. I ended up feeling a greater appreciation for the art of the musical by the illustration provided by this episode (not complimentary) but a couple of moments like the dancing starships and the Pirates of Penzance callback made me happy.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Aaaaayiaargh. Two things I still can't get over:

1. Uhura has a solo about singing solos while she's making the final discovery about the nature of the problem and the solution. Spock has just left the room singing about being alone. The solution literally is singing together. It is a thematic crime against musical that Spock doesn't reenter the room on the pickup and the triumph isn't a duet. That's just what you do even when the text isn't itself already the metatext.

2. We have two drops about "singing Klingons". This is an outside joke. It's funny to the Enterprise crew, but we, and here I mean we longtime fans among the audience, know Klingons love opera and sing space shanties at work. Their tough image makes 23rd-century Starfleet incapable of clocking them as being more musical than themselves. But while the Federation doesn't yet understand the Klingons, the show largely should. In the climax we see on screen, the Klingon ships dance with the Enterprise and are clearly providing part of the solution by raising the improbability wave, their participation is not a joke, except the meta - you know, we're three layers into joke here, but it's serious for the plot. And on top of everything else, sea shanties got popular in real life in between Deep Space Nine and now.

So, setup and callback, they're on the right track - singing Klingons do come back at the end, right before Gilbert and Sullivan do. But this is a kill your darlings moment. Like don't get me wrong, the single funniest and best musical moment of the entire episode is the boyband Klingons. The word "bat'leth" being the rhyme word in a couplet is the kind of thing every song in the episode should have been striving for from go; it is the thing for which you do a Star Trek musical. I guess that, being so musically superior to the Federation, the Klingons are incapable of even being the butt of the joke without still showing them up on a meta level. But it's completely the wrong landing.

The joke should not be "Klingons are singing and it's exactly as silly as we imagined all along", it should be "Klingons are singing and it's the most badass thing I've ever seen and also saved the day." The joke is that the Enterprise crew are about 100 years too early to know that the Klingons have their own whole musical thing.

We should have got a truly epic orchestral space shanty out of this. This kinda shit:

Edit: Worth adding, they reference sea shanties twice, once offhand in a joke in the second act and once in Uhura's reveal of the plan, so they've actually set this up as hard as they've set up singing Klingons in the first place, apparently by accident. 🤔

Last edited:

MrBlud

Citizen
Yeah, I was quite perplexed the Klingons were taking about “their dishonor” in regards to singing since it seems like it would be 100% up their alley.

Unless they were focusing more on it being against their will?

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I honestly think the writers were focusing on "funny because boyband", which is an expired MRE take on par with "tough guys don't sing" IMO. 😣

Edit: My tactical rather than strategic solution to the Klingon interlude, inspired by mishearing the lyrics the first time, would be to make the last line "Off the view screen!" instead of "Make your blood scream!", and end transmission on beat instead of awkwardly off.

Last edited:

AgentOrange

Citizen
The dishonor was because they were singing the K-pop and not singing some badass Klingon opera that the audience would expect and have been fine with. Part of the whole joke is the audience with its knowledge wondering why Klingons would feel dishonored by singing when we know Klingons love to sing.

And the rhyme was mek'leth not bat'leth. Wrong sword

Copper Bezel

Citizen
That's, uh, that's hyperdefensive as ****, actually. I actually noticed the term used was "mek'leth" in between when I rewatched it with subtitles on and (gasp) didn't even correct myself. Why do I get the feeling you've already read the comments about the class name....

So, yeah. The joke is in no way that they get the audience to be expecting something cool, so the show gets to disappoint them instead. I'd love for there to be some double reverse Uno card shot off the rim here, but it's just not in the show. The show just did a basic. It's as surface level as it looks.

It's La'an and Una who refer to "singing Klingons" as I recall, and neither laments "Klingon singing", but the concept of "singing Klingons". (Like, someone might resent showtunes as "white people music", but they're unlikely to find "singing white people" a novel concept. Unlike La'an and Una, Spock has by now experienced Klingon singing, and would not be laughing at the concept of "singing Klingons", despite probably hating it.) So I imagine we both agree that the characters don't know.

But I don't see any indication that the show expects the audience to know either. When we finally get the hail, the expectations of the characters that "singing Klingons" is a very silly thing are simply reinforced. As far as the crew's concerned, asked and answered. They aren't sitting there disappointed that the people they don't picture singing aren't cool when they do it. That reaction also certainly doesn't become any funnier to the audience simply because we know it's an unfair characterization. Quite the contrary in fact!

And think about the kind of Thanatos gambit you're proposing here. This is part of the grand finale number, and you think they want to disappoint the audience as a joke at this moment? It's complete nonsense. (That trick is used correctly by the way with "A Private Conversation," and where you expect it during the rising action.) Meanwhile, a year and a half after sea shanties were a TikTok trend is the least cool time to profit from a meme, but you know, you still very much do anyway....

No, they just missed the shot, it's okay, you don't have to convince yourself they're secretly winning four dimensional basketball. I'm glad Star Trek has participated in the tradition of musical episodes, but I'm only giving it the participation trophy it's earned for that. These are hardly the only problems, there's bad structure and missed gags everywhere, they're just the two things that are going to be nibbling the back of my brain for the rest of my life. Frankly, even between the two, the Klingon thing is just a missed (if obvious) opportunity, the Uhura thing is a crime against the structure of the musical.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
1. Uhura has a solo about singing solos while she's making the final discovery about the nature of the problem and the solution. Spock has just left the room singing about being alone. The solution literally is singing together. It is a thematic crime against musical that Spock doesn't reenter the room on the pickup and the triumph isn't a duet. That's just what you do even when the text isn't itself already the metatext.
Why was engineering deserted during that bit anyway? Do they not need a bunch of people there working to make sure the warp core doesn't fall out or something?

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Some people just NEED to find fault with things....
(Some people just NEED to find fault with people....) No, I held off for 14 frickin' hours dammit. Gimme a cookie.

I think you understand how wrong that characterization is, mostly because you are also a human who also experiences experiences. I wanted to love this episode to the very deepest corners of my heart, because was set to combine two of my very favorite things in the world. Instead I had a delightfully fun but subtly offputting, wrong, and creepingly unsatisfying experience that, as I said and meant entirely unironically, made me more deeply appreciate the craft involved in all of the other musicals (and frankly some of the other Star Trek) I love. I'm not going to search your post history like a creeper to find an example of you being the first in a thread to express disappointment with something that disappointed you in an unexpected way. I have full confidence in your ability to look through your last five posts or so and find one. I don't need to qualify that to "media", opinions on air fryers will follow the same human patterns.

Star Trek is also literally the only ongoing show I engage in fandom discourse about, because for me it's the only thing not made worse by being exposed to others' terrible opinions. It does not matter (to me, but also to you or anyone else) whether they're positive or negative opinions, other people's opinions are always disappointing, and if we're still around talking about shit I assume we're coming in eyes open.

In short, I did not come into your living room sir

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I did like that they tried to explain the random musical outbursts [pseudo] scientifically while not getting into a whole lot of technobabble. "Improbability Field" just about sums it up, even it if does kind of evoke a Hitchhiker's Guide feeling, which is a bit odd for Star Trek. I had fun, though, so I'll happily buy into that.

There is precedent in Star Trek, as they have dealt with probability-altering fields once before in that DS9 episode with the "game" that could cause people to become either lucky or very unlucky.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah, keeping it light and silly while giving the crew something to wave their tricorders at, like a Christmas special one-shot. I honestly took it as a direct reference, since immediately after the parallel universe argle bargle, La'an asks if they'll turn into bunnies and Spock tells her they probably won't be bunnies for the sake of repeating the word "bunnies". Since the Improbability Drive is known for two things, one of them being instantaneous interstellar travel and the other being turning people into couches and missiles into whales and petunias, I took this as a rare case of setting aside the science and just treating another science fictional thing as if it's real in this universe.

Edit: Honestly still more plausible, and more deeply explored, than the interdimensional nebula babies

Last edited:

Cybersnark

Citizen
Honestly, I feel like it would've worked better with a random god-like alien behind it all, even if that particular plot mechanism has been done to death in other musical episodes (Buffy, The Flash, and sort of in The Brave and the Bold). I mean, it's Star Trek; god-like aliens putting the crew in silly situations is almost routine.

(I would also criticize putting Spock's number and Uhura's number back-to-back on the same set. There should've been a scene change or a location shift between them.)

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Apparently the bunnies thing was also a Buffy musical referance, I was hearing?

TOS also had that Pleasure Planet thing where McCoy ran into the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland, though that's in the future from this episode.

Dvandom

Citizen
People are focusing too much on the fact of singing, when we know Klingons sing a lot. Remember: the singing forced people to admit to emotional stuff that they'd been hiding. In a culture where promotion is often based on assassinating your superior (or at least beating them in a fight), suddenly having all your strong feelings coming out in song form is gonna be a MAJOR PROBLEM.

---Dave

Top Bottom