Star Trek: Picard

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
In fact lets just say that discussing anything here that hasn't aired on Paramount+ or been a sneak peek/trailer is prohibited. Lots of us are really enjoying this season and I hate to see that get ruined by spoilers.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
Honestly, given what I've seen so far, I don't have high hopes from a storytelling point of view.

It will likely be stuffed to the gills with fanservice, and that will probably be sufficient for everyone, possibly even me.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think that tomorrow's episode is going to set the tone. They have to get out why Jack is crucial and who/what the BBEG is. Then we need to have a huge confrontation at the big celebration and the follow up for it.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Just finished this weeks episode.

the real villain is exposed. We learn what Jack is. And an old favorite comes back.

MrBlud

Citizen
They did Shaw dirty. The big surprise was the least surprising thing ever. The Borg were the only logical choice as the big bad. Sorry to everyone hoping for pah-wraiths. That being said, the Borg assimilation plan was pretty ingenious. Luckily Starfleet is incredibly stupid or they would’ve had a much tougher time. ESPECIALLY since the E was presumably lost when the Protostar hijacked/interconnected the fleet before this. Which makes Starfleet even stupider for proceeding to do the same damn thing afterwards! Be interesting to see how they fix things. Presumably Jack will reassert control somehow

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
They fooled me, the misdirects really did make me think there was a possible outcome that wasn't the Borg vs. the Fat One. The Borg ability to assimilate biology also explains exactly what technology they'd put in Vadic to control and communicate with her. Her hand and Jack's brain-jacking were the same thing all along. Well done.

They've told us before that transporters perform decontaminations and other biological edits. Sneaking genetic assimilation receivers into that system is the most plausible and clever element of this plan, and it rings true. Again, damn, well done.

So what happened to the E? They all looked at Worf. All I know is what’s been shown on screen.
I haven't seen Prodigy, but Worf would have been captain of the E at the time according to beta canon, and it fits with Picard no longer captaining a ship at the time and Riker being on the Titan. Whatever happened to it, it made like a movie Enterprise and went asplodey without leaving enough parts for Geordi to fix.

Edit:
Also: "Jack, what is this?" "Futility." Absolute applause line, I cackled with glee

Axaday

Citizen
All the pictures I saw were from this episode. I mistook Admiral Shelby for Admiral Janeway, though.

Hanging a lantern on how weird it is that Admiral Shelby would be for such a Borg-like thing is not enough. It is difficult to grasp how Starfleet could be so short-sighted.

The Borg have always been doing some genetic resequencing to make various species networkable. Okay. I can go with that. There's been, probably, very little research on the children of XBs. It makes some sense. But then I am very surprised that the transporter wouldn't notice that Picard's DNA wasn't the same as it used to be. That point sticks on me. But apparently we have to go past that. It didn't get caught, but one of its results eventually got caught and it is actually pretty creative to retcon the irumodic syndrome as a misdiagnosis. It wasn't found until after he was assimilated. It all checks out cleverly. BUT what I still have a lot of trouble with is why they would be so desperate to get Jack. Can they not make whoever they want into a transmitter?

Blud said:
They did Shaw dirty.

I disagree. They may have done fans that wanted Shaw to headline a new series dirty. Shaw himself spent a week with these people and then sacrificed himself to get the other heroes to where they needed to be to save the galaxy. He wouldn't have done that a few days ago. He learned something.

Lots of stuff was pointing to D being in Bay 12. Guinan is going to sell out of fat ones tomorrow. I have always thought D looked silly. That giant floppy saucer is going to make an easy target for the whole rest of Starfleet. I really HOPE HOPE they don't tell me that with expert handling it will be able to hold its own for any length of time in an actual battle OR go fight a Borg cube to rescue Jack. It is FUN to see the crew back aboard and a nostalgic treat for so many. I'll totally allow it, with my misgivings, but it isn't where I hoped the show was going. Nothing about this episode is.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
Intriguing Thought. I don't have leisure to go back and check, but:
Is it still possible that BBEG isn't Borg and that they stole Picard's body and were trying to capture Jack to STOP the Borg from getting them? To stop the Frontier Day plot? Changelings have also infiltrated the fleet and will not be assimilated.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
All the pictures I saw were from this episode. I mistook Admiral Shelby for Admiral Janeway, though.

Hanging a lantern on how weird it is that Admiral Shelby would be for such a Borg-like thing is not enough. It is difficult to grasp how Starfleet could be so short-sighted.
And Control in Disco S2 is ancient history, but the network virus in Prodigy and the Texas Class AI ship incident from Lower Decks happened last week.

Lots of stuff was pointing to D being in Bay 12.
Yeah, I didn't want it to be but it was the only reveal that would have had any thematic weight.

I appreciate that they remembered the Borg transwarp network to explain how Jack got anywhere in a shuttlecraft, but it's a good thing that nothing else relevant to the plot requires long distance travel, because it'd be really sad to have D puttering around at a fraction of the speed of any of these other ships. Possibly slower than the damn shuttle.

It feels mad unlikely that they're going to make it look embarrassingly bad, but Worf did at least comment on the limited weapons capability.

In the broad strokes I'm just glad that Starfleet ships don't look like ovular office buildings anymore. The D has one good angle, from below the saucer section with the funky neck, unique deflector dish, and sheet-thin nacelle pylons on display. Any other angle, the dumb saucer and stubby nacelles ruin it. (Titan-A, we barely knew you, Team Fat One was in full control of that ship for the runtime of maybe an episode and a half in total.)

Intriguing Thought. I don't have leisure to go back and check, but:
Is it still possible that BBEG isn't Borg and that they stole Picard's body and were trying to capture Jack to STOP the Borg from getting them? To stop the Frontier Day plot? Changelings have also infiltrated the fleet and will not be assimilated.
It's technically possible, because Team Fat One only inferred that the changelings were the ones whose infiltration of Starfleet allowed for the Borg DNA code to be baked into Federation standard transporter software. But that means that if the changelings have a face turn, then either the inference was wrong and will need to be explained, or we'll need some explanation of how the Borg got into the software instead. And there's only one changeling faction, because Vadic got the portal gun and Picard's body thanks to her infiltration network, so they're all on the same side.

Deathy G1

Citizen
The Borg's plan was better than anything I could've thought up myself. I didn't expect the crews (well the younger ones at least) to be assimilated, just the ships. Also, it doesn't seem like we are getting the rest of the hero ships coming along for the ride alongside the D.

Are we assuming that Prodigy showed the end of the E? That didn't really seem unsalvageable there. Perhaps Worf lost it later?

Theory time: Jack is going to overthrow the Queen, take control of the collective and permanently end the Borg threat.

Axaday

Citizen
Also, it doesn't seem like we are getting the rest of the hero ships coming along for the ride alongside the D.
I always found that idea over-the-top silly. Geordi said this was the only functional ship not on the network. Not sure if that means the other ones are on the network or that they are not functional.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
I thought the Blonde lady from S1 and 2 when they time traveled took over the Borg, where is she?

a little disappointed they didn’t automate the legacy ships to go along with the D. Granted, ships like the A and others would get smashed. But the Defiant should be able to hold her own for a bit. She’s a tough little ship.

was hoping they would show the Excelsior before her demise.

Top Bottom