Star Trek: Picard

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
weasley-ron-weasley-red-hair-hand-me-down-you-must-be-a-weasley-gif-5659155
Yeha, I have been reading the Harry Potter books to my kids for the last few months so I am bound to get some weasley typos.....

Dake

Citizen
Probably everyone who ever served on the Enterprise is a Captain by now. Probably the majority of the fleet is captained by people who served on the Enterprise-D under Picard. Why wouldn't they all command something?
Not everyone should be in command of a ship. Probably plenty of people flying desks.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Lots of people in TOS went on to hold the rank of captain. Doesn't mean everyone with that rank commands a ship.

Axaday

Citizen
Lots of people in TOS went on to hold the rank of captain. Doesn't mean everyone with that rank commands a ship.
They all did unless Uhura didn't. TOS movies were pretty weird on that. Not to say that Sci-Fi necessarily has to, but they did not reflect modern reality in that. Commander Chekhov and Captain Spock would not have been able to go back to their old junior posts on Enterprise. Scott could never have had the rank of Captain without taking a bigger job than Engineering on a ship.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spock commanded the Enterprise as a training ship for a while and Sulu had a ship but I know of no other ships any of the other captains commanded.

Axaday

Citizen
Mm hmmm. But in real life you can't get the promotion without taking the job and once you get the rank you can't say, I just wanna go back to my old job. I don't want TNG era to go do what TOS did. Unless the fleet is expanding rapidly, there aren't enough Captain or Admiral chairs for everyone to get there. The majority of officers are going to finish their careers as some level of lieutenant.

Axaday

Citizen
How often do evil master plans get foiled because they assumed they could pick up ingredients along the way? Get your Picard body and your Jack and THEN schedule your climactic event.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spock commanded the Enterprise as a training ship for a while and Sulu had a ship but I know of no other ships any of the other captains commanded.
Bones was an Admiral on TNG when he guest appeared on the first or second episode. Scotty was a Captain when he retired and crashed into the Dyson Sphere. No idea if they ever captained a ship though. I don't remember what rank Chekov was in Generations which was his last cannon appearance.

Considering Scotty was third in command of the flagship and often had to command in TOS, I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually took a command, and annoyed the heck out of his chief engineers.

Deathy G1

Citizen
The merging of Data and Lore was very well done. I like that the new Data isn't just a copy of emotion chip Data from Generations. Also, since Picard's old body is toast, any remaining possibility of Locutus returning would have to be through Jack, but I am backing off that theory of mine. Picard and Jack's syndrome may be caused by the Borg, but I am not so sure they are directly involved anymore.

...unless the collective is beyond the red door.

Axaday

Citizen
I made a mistake. I forgot about Picard this morning for about half an hour and then didn't have time to watch it all. When I had to come to work
Data was handing over Spot. But I can already see what Data is doing and it is really cool. Maybe Lore was never a failure at all and Soong just flinched. Children are always erratic and he could have gotten through that, but the betrayal made him what he became. Give him a lifetime of Data's memories and he's...not gonna be bad? Data wins by surrendering.

I lost track of Worf and Raffi. Were they on the show at all last week? I know they came aboard with Data, but I don't know when they slipped away.

So did Picard seem to have Iromodic Syndrome but had something else that the Borg caused? Or is Iromodic Syndrome a mutation that wasn't quite ready in Picard, but was in Jack? Because whatever it was really did kill Picard before it could come all the way awake. I don't know. I'm still struggling with them on this. I DO NOT WANT to find out that some Borg tech was in Picard's sperm.

I guess it is pretty clear at this point that we have the real Deanna. There was a moment where I felt like he was gently testing her and she would fail, but I guess they didn't want to play that.

But hey! There are only 2 episodes left and we never got to the awkward middle. It is time for either the unsatisfying ending or something new for this show.

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
I don't quite like the details of how captive Data captured Lore, at least in the visual representation of sci-fi ideas, but the trick was really good and I didn't see anything coming soon enough to weaken the effect. Data's personality matrix (Left Spiner and Blue) still should have been the one to disappear, but right Spiner / red should have then become Data (mostly). Because that's what we're told happened, Lore "won" but became Data in the process. Oh well, it was still clever and cool, and the dialogue mostly worked either way.

I have exactly zero complaints about the other standoff. Jack was perfect, Seven was perfect, Data over the address system was perfect ("unwelcome guests and monologuing protoplasms,") and Vadic was her immaculately perfect self to the very end. "Hugging solids."

I was *dreading* the director and producer credits cards. I have zero plausible theories for myself what's behind the red door in Jack's inherited brain tumor. After they retook the bridge, that was pretty much the biggest feeling I had, gleefully dreading the cliffhanger. This show is quite good at them. I "can't wait to see what happens next", I'm utterly sucked into this plot at this point.

But hey! There are only 2 episodes left and we never got to the awkward middle. It is time for either the unsatisfying ending or something new for this show.
Wow, it really is. I really can't believe this is the same series where they were using Radio Shack drones to attack a NASA rocket last season. We're truly in unprecedented spaces.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's possible the beamed the body aboard the shuttle along with them since they were in the room with it when the alarm was sounded and they had to get out of there.

All the Data Lore stuff was good. They even acknowledged the fact that the Data we saw in season 1 was just another "version" of Data but this actually feels more like a continuance of the original character we saw in Nemesis.

The brother dynamic between the two has always been very well played and this was no exception. I felt it was obvious what Data was doing with the "here, take this. Ooh and here's another good one, you can have it" but I still think it played out wonderfully.

The thing that irritated me the most was the appalling behavior of Shaw. He didn't formulate a plan. He didn't stand up to Vadic and try to protect his crew. He just stood there like a good little boy and took it while lecturing Seven about how "Starfleet" is supposed to act. It was cowardly and intolerable. I've never seen a Starfleet captain behave like that and just let their crew be sacrificed while saying NOTHING. Well, not nothing, because he told Seven to sit there quietly. Cowardly. They took a character who seemed shitty at face value, redeemed him a bit with his backstory and then made him shitty again.

Axaday

Citizen
I think Shaw is gonna do some learning here, but I don't think they have time to turn him into a Captain that can headline a show.

Why can't Picard do the computer stuff they need Data to do?

MrBlud

Citizen
I feel like it’s pretty wild we have two(?) episodes left and we have little idea what the endgame is. Presumably whatever is behind the red door is connected to melty face guy (and the Frontier Day attack) but we have like nothing to go on.

What was Shaw supposed to do exactly? Give some purely performative outrage like Seven? He would’ve blown the Turbolift and avoided the whole thing which (real world) was absolutely the right call as it would’ve traded one life for T’Veen’s and stopped the ship being captured.

Don’t you remember Axaday? They spent five minutes explaining they DRM’d Picard’s cool Android body to be just as shitty as his old human one…for reasons

Really heartwarming to see all seven of them together again

Top Bottom