Star Trek Lower Decks

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Saw the fifth ep. I thought I'd like a T'Lyn ep better but it was just average. I think maybe Boimler would have been a better foil for her in the ep.

Are the three ladies a reference to something?

BTW, i feel like they're dropping hints that captain Freeman is heading for a breakdown. She's been trying so hard to prove something to herself all season.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I liked it. Tendi being super friendly was great! The Betazoids being a bait and switch was great too. Loved the Security guards!

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Following up but the three betazoid spies from the T'Lyn episode were special guest voices (comedians? don't really know them offhand) so it wasn't really a Trek reference that I didn't get.

----

New ep. Weird that T'Lyn wasn't included. She wanted to record stuff about Orion culturse before so she would have asked to be included in tourism reporting. Or else maybe one of the lieutenant junior grades could have requested she be included?

A little heart breaking that we get two of the three in the family to reprise their voices but we can't get the third anymore :(

My fave Easter egg would be the weapon in the last part, hehe. Oh was the captain's dance a reference too?

Last edited:

Copper Bezel

Revenge against God for the crime of Being.
Citizen
New ep. Weird that T'Lyn wasn't included. She wanted to record stuff about Orion culturse before so she would have asked to be included in tourism reporting. Or else maybe one of the lieutenant junior grades could have requested she be included?
They could certainly have rolled her in, but there's already an A, B, and C plot. I love what she's bringing as a member of the main cast, but it's probably best if they don't expect us to be asking where she is whenever she's not on screen. Admittedly they could have swapped her in with her own C story in place of Boimler's, which would be fine (honestly that'd almost always be an improvement!) but Boimler's bit was funny so.

Rutherford and Tendi's story was a leeeeeettle too silly even for Ferenginar, even for Lower Decks, at least in the restaurant scene, but it was still a lot of fun, and the resolution back on the ship was cute.

April pointed out to me that LD massively stepped up their facial animation game at some point. Not sure if that's completely new to this episode, but there were some moments this time I was noticing with Mariner especially where it just seemed way more dynamic and fluid than I remembered noticing. I don't think I appreciate often enough how even outside of the ship CG stuff and sets, this show is not just another animated sitcom on an animation level.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
April pointed out to me that LD massively stepped up their facial animation game at some point. Not sure if that's completely new to this episode, but there were some moments this time I was noticing with Mariner especially where it just seemed way more dynamic and fluid than I remembered noticing. I don't think I appreciate often enough how even outside of the ship CG stuff and sets, this show is not just another animated sitcom on an animation level.
Holy cow, YES! I thought I would be the only one to notice but, YES, there were some amazing fluidity with the expressions at several points! They should save it for the season finale, hehe

I feel Rutherford and Tendi's plot means that that's as far as it will go. I'm strangely ok with that.

Something small but I liked a lot is when Quimp spelling said he loved her. Like it was nothing.

Copper Bezel

Citizen
I feel Rutherford and Tendi's plot means that that's as far as it will go. I'm strangely ok with that.
Yeah, I think I'm okay with it either way and I just appreciate that they explored it, and without being entirely cliché.

Occurs to me that @Axaday has to be right about money in the Federation, it seemed like it was standard operating procedure for Ferenginar to be admitted with a completely independent economy of its own.

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen

It might be, it might not be. Like the endpoint is them going "oh yeah were just friends" and them comically getting into a very suggestive position that they comment "feels right" which can be taken either way as "oh see they are just friends" or "man these two are really in denial"

What can be taken in less either way is them constantly accidentally saying very "not just friends" stuff without thinking the whole ep and then getting flustered. Rutherford suggesting that a universal symbol of love should be "gorgeous green eyes" or Tendi trying to justify why she jumped to going around topless around him are kinda strong contenders for the real situation being that they do have feelings for each other but are either just too stupid to realize it, aren't ready to admit it, don't actually know what those kinds of feelings /are/.

Dvandom

Citizen
I got the impression that Rutherford and Tendi may be demisexual (Tendi by Orion standards, given her S1 make-out scene). And at the very least, neither is really comfortable with sexual attraction: Rutherford because his memory wipe took out a lot of his formative horny teenager stuff, and Tendi because she rebels so vehemently against her own culture's expectations. They are definitely either aromantic or maaaaaybe demiromantic, for basically the same reasons (memories, Orion romance is so different Tendi doesn't know how to do it).

Their final scene established that they are DEFINITELY a couple. Just not the kind of horny couple the rest of the ship is into. (Boimler is not ace or aro, he's just terminally unable to notice flirting. Not to mention way too neurotic to relax enough to have a relationship.)

---Dave

Copper Bezel

Citizen
Yeah, I think that's probably the best read. The little moments of romantic attraction slipping out weren't so much signs that they "should" be a romantic couple, but that it's not that they couldn't be, they're just happier with what they've got. And yet it's not quite the same "better as friends" cliché because, yeah, they're more like an aromantic couple, I think that's the more accurate label. The level of comfort and trust they have between them is distinctly not "just friends".

Monique

Guess whos back
Citizen
One thing I hope they do is that if they are going to keep touching on DS9 cast is to bring back Garak. I wouldn't be opposed if he showed up with a certain doctor as well.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It might be, it might not be. Like the endpoint is them going "oh yeah were just friends" and them comically getting into a very suggestive position that they comment "feels right" which can be taken either way as "oh see they are just friends" or "man these two are really in denial"

What can be taken in less either way is them constantly accidentally saying very "not just friends" stuff without thinking the whole ep and then getting flustered. Rutherford suggesting that a universal symbol of love should be "gorgeous green eyes" or Tendi trying to justify why she jumped to going around topless around him are kinda strong contenders for the real situation being that they do have feelings for each other but are either just too stupid to realize it, aren't ready to admit it, don't actually know what those kinds of feelings /are/.

I am shipping those two so hard I have Tracking number from UPS. so I really hope that they realize that they do have feelings for each other. We know that Ritherford's other personality liked her.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Title of the new ep is a spoiler so not saying.

Holy cow, what an ep! The B plot made me tear up at a bit near the end. It's the theme really.

On the A plot, I love the implications on the deus ex machina.

We're three eps to go? One more attack ep then maybe two part finale?

Edit - wait, WTQ, missing again?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well that was a good episode. Tendi and Rutherford at the beginning had me hoping again. Oh well, at least Peanut Hamper has had a redemption arc out of it. I rather enjoyed that.

So the ships weren't destroyed but stolen! I wonder who is behind it?

Top Bottom