Star Trek: Discovery

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
ISS Enterprise A adrift in a wormhole and the breen were unmasked to reveal generic aliens.

I'll take old yeller out the back.

I'll have to re-watch at some point, but I think that was just the regular ol' 1701. It's a bit reminiscent of the Ent-A we're used to because they're using the updated DISCO/SNW design for the basic Constitution-class, which incorporates some elements from the original movie refit/Ent-A.

I have to admit, I'm kind of baffled at the timeline of events that was suggested. Supposedly the crew of the ISS Enterprise revolted after the attempted reforms to the empire failed (was this unnamed High Chancellor perhaps mirror Spock, who Prime Kirk influenced during his visit? I'd like to think so). Ascending to that position must have taken him at least a few years, so you'd think the ship would have undergone its major overhaul around the same time as the its prime counterpart during The Motion Picture. In any case, the reforms, revolt and subsequent escape clearly occurred during the 23rd century, probably at least a few years after Mirror, Mirror, which was 9 years after the USS Discovery vanished into the 32nd century.

But then we have this Dr. Cho, who was implied to have been among the rebel crew trying to escape. So they did, and apparently made lives for themselves in the Prime universe. But then, like 100+ years later, in the late 24th-century, Cho is somehow still alive and active enough to revisit this incredibly dangerous shipwreck to plant the clue aboard?

I dunno... all this seems like it's stretching basic common sense, and for no particularly good reason other than the fact the writers wanted to have the mirror Enterprise in an episode for some reason.

When I first saw the ISS, I got a little excited. I thought we were in for some wacky Mirror universe shenanigans or a few callbacks to the TOS or ENT episodes. But nope, just a few reused sets from SNW redressed with the Empire's insignia. Such a wasted potential.

As far as this Breen revelation goes... at least now we know why they joined with the Dominion during the war, and why the female Founder seemed to trust them so much more than her Cardassian allies, or even the Dominion's subject species. The Breen are either in the middle of, or have just recently completed an evolutionary transition from humanoids to a liquid form not unlike the Changelings themselves. The founders may have considered them kindred spirits.

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I have to admit, I'm kind of baffled at the timeline of events that was suggested. Supposedly the crew of the ISS Enterprise revolted after the attempted reforms to the empire failed (was this unnamed High Chancellor perhaps mirror Spock, who Prime Kirk influenced during his visit? I'd like to think so). Ascending to that position must have taken him at least a few years, so you'd think the ship would have undergone its major overhaul around the same time as the its prime counterpart during The Motion Picture. In any case, the reforms, revolt and subsequent escape clearly occurred during the 23rd century, probably at least a few years after Mirror, Mirror, which was 9 years after the USS Discovery vanished into the 32nd century.

But then we have this Dr. Cho, who was implied to have been among the rebel crew trying to escape. So they did, and apparently made lives for themselves in the Prime universe. But then, like 100+ years later, in the late 24th-century, Cho is somehow still alive and active enough to revisit this incredibly dangerous shipwreck to plant the clue aboard?
The stardate on the dedication plaque though is 8 years before TNG. Apparently there's some mention of a Tartarus base too, I was hearing? (Didn't go back to get a closer look myself.) That suggests that the ISS Enterprise was salvaged/recovered by some lost/hidden colony and rededicated before leaving for the Prime universe.

Axaday

Citizen
Stick with me just a second while I am pedantic. It looks like a nice day and there will be wind and my daughter has been wanting to fly a kite she won at a party. I played "The Kite" from "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" on Alexa and the recording they chose was Anthony Rapp. His character on Discovery just wouldn't ever make me think he was a Broadway guy. I don't think that's really unknown. He was in the original cast of Rent and in the movie. Broadway has mainly been his career.

I started thinking about what his job is on Discovery and I am not looking it up, but I just don't know. He feels like the Chief Engineer, but he was billed before the show started as being an exo-mycologist and that stuck with me. Certainly to invent the spore drive, he would need to know a lot of engineering, but my starting impression was always that his role on the ship was running the Spore Drive experiment that he had invented. The ship has Impulse and Warp Drive and the whole compliment of ship systems that I didn't think (at least originally) that he was responsible for. Discovery has a markedly different storytelling scheme than Star Trek that came before. There is a whole set of bridge officers that look familiar when I see them, but I don't know their names or generally their jobs. I know the lady with the cybernetic implants is the pilot. They have talked about that enough. I remember just from recent dialog this season that the black guy is communications. I don't know his name. I don't know any of their names. There is an asian guy and there is a black lady that is really good in a fight. So she might be tactical? Security?

I feel weird about it. The model has always been that the characters of the show were the bridge officers, the doctor, and the engineer. But on Discovery the characters are:

Michael - The Science Officer, the prisoner consultant, the first officer, the Captain
Stamets - Exo-Mycologist, Inventor, Now Spore Drive core (weird that he invented the spore drive, wrote a business case, got 2 ships built at a cost in the billions, got 2 crews hired, and then eventually found out that his co-inventer must have discovered that the reason the whole thing didn't work was because it needed a living component and they never realized that). Maybe he is in charge of all engineering on the ship, I don't know
Culber - Doctor and trying to become counselor, sometimes dead.
Book - Courier, Boyfriend, Roustabout
Saru - First Officer, Captain, First Officer, Ambassador who generally steals every scene as far as I am concerned
Grudge - Doesn't do a lot, but I know her name because she gets mention in every episode.
Tilly - Ensign whose job I was unclear on, helper in engineering who just knows all the science I guess
Adira - Castaway?, Liaison that understood future tech, ....engineering flunky?
Reno - Castaway, steals the other scenes because never in shot with Sara, engineering flunky?

This show is heavy on scientists, which is actually.....what Starfleet is supposed to be about, but Star Trek has never made it look that way. After Season 1 was Tilly reporting to Stamets as a junior engineering officer? It definitely looks like Adira and Reno work for Stamets. He definitely looks like the chief engineer at this point. Maybe always was? I have no idea what anyone's rank is other than Michael and Sara and the new First officer. Is Adira an officer now? Was Reno a chief engineer on the broken ship who was just like "Oh, I'll work anywhere"?

I was going to say the pedantry was over after the first paragraph, but then I wasn't sure. It is done now.

Can anyone name all the bridge officers with their jobs without looking it up? Bonus points if you can say their ranks without looking them up. All on the honor system, because I won't know if you looked it up.

Axaday

Citizen
To complicate things, there's this:

"Nilsson​

Lt. Nilsson (portrayed by Sara Mitich) is an operations officer on the bridge of the Discovery. Mitich portrayed Airiam in season one of the show, before that role was taken over by Hannah Cheesman for season two, while Mitich began recurring as Nilsson in season two – who eventually takes the bridge position of the deceased ("Project Daedalus") Airiam."

I don't know who this is. But....an actress played one character in season 1. Another actress took over the role for season 2, but the original actress didn't leave. She started guesting as another character....and then the character was killed off and the guest character played by the original actress took over the same job. That is weird stuff. But since we don't even know the bridge crew, I didn't notice any of this. If this is someone I would even recognize, I probably didn't know they weren't all the same character.

Edit - Oh, I didn't notice the actress switch because Airiam was the robot.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Owoshekun (or Owo for short) is the fighting lady you were thinking of - pretty sure she's supposed to be security. You also forgot Linus, the Saurian (who tbf is usually comedy relief more than anything) And Tilly was command track at one point - they had the thing where Michael was trying to up her stamina for it before they time-jumped. She's technically a Academy Instructor on loan right now.

Axaday

Citizen
Linus works on the bridge. Forgetting him is being obedient to the wishes of the producers.

Kup

Citizen
See it wasn’t until last year that I realized Stamets *wasn’t* the CE. Someone mentioned him as the mushroom expert and it hit me.

I think that’s an issue I have with Disco. I don’t know what roles each person plays. Is Culber even the CMO is it that other lady?

Axaday

Citizen
Well I don't ever seen anyone downstairs giving orders to Commander Stamets and he seems to be in charge of any science going on.

Culber IS the CMO.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
I don't think we've ever actually even seen the Discovery's conventional matter/anti-matter reactor or its engineering bay, have we?

Axaday

Citizen
And Tilly was command track at one point - they had the thing where Michael was trying to up her stamina for it before they time-jumped. She's technically a Academy Instructor on loan right now.

Yeah and that is another thing. You really can't have a first year ensign as your frontrunner for First Officer just because you think she'd do alright at it.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I think that’s an issue I have with Disco. I don’t know what roles each person plays. Is Culber even the CMO is it that other lady?

Culber IS the CMO.

He might be now (I'm honestly not sure), but I'm pretty confident that he wasn't when the show started out.

UPDATE: Memory Alpha isn't even helpful, but it does suggest that Dr. Pollard (that other lady) is only a Lt. Commander, while Culber is a full Commander, FWIW.

Axaday

Citizen
He might be now (I'm honestly not sure), but I'm pretty confident that he wasn't when the show started out.

UPDATE: Memory Alpha isn't even helpful, but it does suggest that Dr. Pollard (that other lady) is only a Lt. Commander, while Culber is a full Commander, FWIW.
I am pretty sure he has said so lately.

Top Bottom