Star Trek: Discovery

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
CBS All Access has been rebranded as Paramount+, with the fourth season of Star Trek: Discovery scheduled to begin streaming Thursday 18 November 2021.

Full trailer, released today at NYCC 2021:

Teaser trailer, previously released at First Contact Day 2021:

Kup

Citizen
Lots of explosions.
Dark sets.
Biggest threat ever.

Michael Bay presents Transformers 6. Coming to theaters 2022.

No? It’s Star Trek? Huh. Coulda fooled me.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well the trailer looks halfway decent. Let's see if I get Charlie Browned with the football yet again though. I'll be glad when Strange New Worlds gets here.

electricidad

Citizen
I finished season 3, just in time for the season 4 trailer to drop. What I liked:
•How the Federation was portrayed. A bit skeptical at first, and then largely aligned with our heroes. Yes, the Burn would have been traumatizing for the Federation, so they certainly would have doubts about our crew. But they came around.

•The new additions to the crew. Like the new Trill character; like Book; love Grudge. Grudge should have her own episode.

•The pacing of the season. It felt more thought out than the past two.

•That Burnam is captain by the end of the season. She had a fantastic season! Happy to follow where she leads.

•Liked seeing Trill, Vulcan and Earth again. The season 4 trailer appears to have a Cardassian, but with softer prosthetics. She's part human, part Cardassian? Maybe we're headed to Cardassia/Bajor/the Badlands?

What I didn't like:
•The side quest to the Mirror Universe. I get it: other trek shows have also gone to the Mirror Universe, to see our heroes, but ONLY TWISTED BY EVIL! This, however, seemed like it could have been a single episode. We find out where the Burn started, and that a Kelpian was in the middle of it, and then, all of a sudden, we leave that plot point dangling for a couple of episodes so Mirror Universe stuff can happen? Huh. Liked that we saw the Guardian of Forever for a second or two. But was ending the Empress's arc worth two episodes? Probably not.

•Seriously. It would be like, if in the Next Generation, we found out the Borg were on their way to Earth, and then the entire episode is about Worf hottubbing in mud with his son.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My concern with this new season is it's yet another "worst thing to happen to the galaxy than evarrrrrr!" plot instead of just having regular Star Trek stuff. Considering the last "worst thing evarrrrrr" was preposterous and resolved by figuring out it was a mentally challenged guy who screamed... well... I hope they learned something from what wasn't good about last season, which was most of it, frankly.

Maybe they'll actually focus on characters instead of character traits and we'll get more stories about people who've been on there for 3 seasons but barely have a speaking line like Smiling Asian Guy who's name nobody can remember because he's just a prop.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So episode 1 has aired and I have to say it's off to a good start. Good pacing, actual things happening that are Star Trek related. There was a lot of good emphasis on the bridge crew where they were called upon to do more than just sit around and say nothing.

I could probably do without another galactic "threat" of that scale where Burnham saves the day, but I'm liking where it's starting out so far.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I hate that they don't understand what the Test is meant to do. Its not to show you that there are unwinnable scenarios so you don't take pointless risks, its to see how you deal with it. Do you go down fighting, let the poor freighter be destroyed, try to run, etc.

Also, you can beat that test, even without cheating. Nog did it.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As far as the episode goes, I enjoyed it, but I am wondering what the heck is going on with the anomalies. Why it is appearing right near bookers planet, and why could the birds feel it?

Also, at the end, they say they can't find the planet, as it has been pushed several hundred thousand kilometers out of its orbit, that is about the same distance as the moon is to the earth(365K kilometers).

I know I ma just nitpicking, but that stood out to me.

I did like the opening scene with the butterfly people.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
I hate that they don't understand what the Test is meant to do. Its not to show you that there are unwinnable scenarios so you don't take pointless risks, its to see how you deal with it. Do you go down fighting, let the poor freighter be destroyed, try to run, etc.

Also, you can beat that test, even without cheating. Nog did it.

Apparently that's the lesson the president things you should take from it. Considering the state of the Federation by that time period, it could also be that the reason "modern" Starfleet runs it now matches her view, rather than the original reasoning, since when you're as low on resources, ships, etc as Starfleet was before the Discovery arrived and found Fort Dilithium, it'd be very easy to slip into a "take no risks" mindset institutionally. No way to know for sure without other viewpoints from 32nd century natives.

As far as the episode goes, I enjoyed it, but I am wondering what the heck is going on with the anomalies. Why it is appearing right near bookers planet, and why could the birds feel it?

Also, at the end, they say they can't find the planet, as it has been pushed several hundred thousand kilometers out of its orbit, that is about the same distance as the moon is to the earth(365K kilometers).

I know I ma just nitpicking, but that stood out to me.

I did like the opening scene with the butterfly people.

The birds thing I missed at first too, but someone else pointed it out in some comments I read - during the opening, Adira talks about how birds can feel magnetics, and these birds' reaction is a callback to that. As for why near Kweijan, when we heard the station was near it and the figured out the station got hit by the anomaly, it was pretty clear that was what was going to happen once the weirdness showed up at the planet.

On the last part, remember that space is BIG and EMPTY - given planet orbits never really change, obviously it's a concern if an orbiting body is not where its supposed to be. At that point they had no idea where it went or what direction ti went, and the only reason they found it so fast is because it was still that close to its original orbit. Frankly I thought they were going to find the thing got Asteroid Belt'd.

Overall, it all felt fairly Trek to me. From the episode title I thought it was going to involve Tilly taking the test(for whatever reason) especially given the Starfleet Academy reopening.

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen

I assume it's Kurtzman writers being Kurtzman writers as usual. Organic atmospheric animals should not be able to sense gravity changes ahead of time given that gravity propagates at the speed of light, and trailers say the anomaly can appear anywhere.

Cradok

Citizen
The President is being a bit of a dick about it, but she's not wrong. Did Burnham choose wrong in this instance? Maybe. Have we seen other captains make similar, or even more ill-advised decisions and have them come good? Absolutely. The problem isn't what she did, but why she did it.

Which is not to say the President was innocent either, for someone who's supposed to be assessing Burnham for another command, she just can't help throwing her weight around, even after she seemingly acquiesces to letting Burnham be in charge. Thirty seconds of grumbling every time Burnham makes a decision adds up, maybe everything would have gone smoothly if the Workbee had launched earlier.

On the other other hand, the captain should not be the one to walk off the bridge in the middle of a fluid situation like that, even is she is apparently the best person for the job. Detmer is presumably better, but she's trying to keep Discovery from crashing, so it's fine she's out, but is there nobody else?

And that's not to ask the usual question when 'the transporters are offline' comes up: isn't there a bay full of shuttles that have their own transporters? Also, isn't there a bay full of shuttles?

Minor nitpicks are the uniforms that are somehow less flattering than the TMP ones, complete with a rank badge that is both useless and must be extremely uncomfortable; the 'lol politicians suck' bit feels too much like Picard not really understanding what the Federation is; the fact that Spock's Axiom and the Kobayashi Maru aren't the same thing, they're just linked in that situation, why does nobody who riffs on Wrath actually understand it; and the fact that there's basically no scene where the camera isn't moving.

I know I'm harping on about one thing, I did actually like most of the episode. The pre-credits was a bit frenetic, but felt good, as did the rescue mission in general It all felt like people got to contribute to solutions, rather than just be props that go 'Aye sir' occasionally. I liked Tilly's breakdown on the station when Nalas pulled the phaser. I liked the quiet scene with Booker's family, even though I gave it 50/50 on it being a 'look at the happy people we're going to kill by the end of the episode' and I hate that I was right about it. But overall, yeah, enjoyed. I hope they can go up from here, rather than the down that's been the general trend.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So after only 4 seasons it looks like Discovery has achieved becoming a tolerable show. Episode 3 was a pretty good story that felt like an episode instead of just a giant clusterfuck of spinning camera scenes and crying, and still somewhat progressed the overarching story.

It would have been better without wasting so much time on the Gray character. Now that he has a body I hope it's done so they can focus on other stuff. We got some good character growth with Tilly as she goes on her journey and it was nice to see Book get some peace of mind from what's been weighing on him. I couldn't tell if there was really blue energy and the Vulcan president was lying about it or there really wasn't anything (sometimes the direction doesn't always match up with the script) so I guess we'll wait and see.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Episode 4 wasn't too bad. This will have spoilers below.

----

They are really taking to heart the idea of having stuff actually going on, with about 3 stories this time around. You have the Federation political stuff (where once again Burnham saves the day by being super good at everything)., the Tilly cadet stuff and the Book therapy story. Anything with the Gray character in it barely qualifies as a story and is a complete waste of time so I zoned out on those scenes too much to know if there's a side story at play.

Federation stuff: With Ni'Var (formally known as Vulcan) working to get back into the Federation after 4 months of talks, the Vulcan President drops the bomb of their entry being conditional to leave whenever they feel like it. Even though the Federation President said people could always leave the Federation if they wanted to, and that's what Vulcan has already done, they refused to conceded to the point that the Vulcans demanded even though they already could anyway, for some reason. Knowing that nothing would ever be accomplished without Burnham they pretended Vance got sick at the last minute so Burnham would have to come in and save the day! Because god forbid any significant thing happen without Burnham being the savior.

Tilly Cadet Mission: This was a pretty good story where we got to see some different faces in a situation where they had to work together to get out alive. Of course, one guy died, the Lt. of something but it wasn't clear if he was in Starfleet or just another cadet. Well, Adira also came along but they didn't really do much. The story in this episode reminded me a lot of some of the Lost in Space encounters from the new (and now concluded) show. The big surprise is that Tilly is leaving Discovery (the ship) and going off to instruct at Starfleet acadamy.

Book: I feel like this story has taken a step back. in Episode 3 Book was already more or less healed emotionally with the mind meld, but seems to have fallen back into despair. Culver was counselling him and we got to learn a little bit about that character too. I think these types of scenes are important to tell Star Trek stories and have mostly been absent from the previous 3 seasons, so it's good to see more time spent on these.

So as far as the black hole stuff, it's mostly on the back burner at this point. Stammets is still trying to get the bottom of it and isn't taking any time off like other crew have been doing (playing around in their version of 10 forward) and we got to see some interaction with Linus again. I still think the bridge crew as a whole have been horribly under utilized as nothing more than smiling faces. We had a BIT of development with Owo last season but they are all mostly set dressing at this point. And not even in this episode as they didn't really appear at all.

I think things are improving overall this season, but it's kind of weird that I'm the only one here really talking about it considering I spent most of the first 3 seasons shitting on how stupid it was most of the time.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I LOVE that Reese finally got something important to do - he was put in charge of overseeing the evacuation. AND IT WAS DONE OFF SCREEN. We never saw any part of that evacuation. :D

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
I rather liked that there was a clear indication that the Discovery has shifts, as we got alternate crew members manning some of the bridge stations, but now I would like to know more about this character.

Attachments

• crewmember.jpg
    crewmember.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 61

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
Well spotted! I looked at a bunch of easter egg listing sites/videos for the episode and none of them mentioned it, so I'm not sure if they missed it or the character turned up and was noted then, and I just missed it.

Edit: Ah, there was one in "Kobayashi Maru" on the station the Discovery rescued people from, so possibly the same character!

SHIELD Agent 47

Citizen
The prediction I have seen going for this season's ending is:

Ruan Tarka will seize control of the DMA to exact revenge on the remnants of the Emerald Chain. Book will have to overcome his grief and anger at Species 10C for the greater good to stop Tarka.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
So during McDonald Canada's recent Monopoly promotion I "won" 3 free months of Paramount+ in Canada.

Just a warning to fellow Canadians... don't waste your time. Baffling as it is, Star Trek isn't even on there. NO Star Trek... not old, nor new. The whole goddamn franchise which was Paramount/CBS's biggest motivator for creating their own streaming service is ENTIRELY absent.

What's more... and get this... there are a total of 54 films on Paramount+ Canada! I literally own more Paramount content on blu-ray (160+ films and various television properties, which doesn't even include Paramount-produced content released through other labels like Shout Factory, Kino or Arrow) than Paramount ITSELF has on their own streaming service.

Top Bottom