Sonic The Hedgehog

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Returning to the Amy discussion, there's a lot of things that were there the whole time with her but don't get focused on. One is her comment at the end of her story in Sonic Adventure: "Just watch me. I'll make that Sonic respect me!" It's interesting to think about the actual trajectory.
-Sonic Adventure 2. Amy rescues Sonic. While it's not a thing Sonic would hold over her, she repaid the debt of having to be rescued. Her "will you marry me" is met with a No.
-Sonic Heroes. Since a rescue didn't work, Amy challenges Sonic to an anime rival battle. The answer is still No to marriage.
-Sonic Battle. She mistakenly assumes that taking care of Emerl is Sonic presenting a secret test of character to see if she'll be a good mother. In her zeal, she takes up boxercise. While a lot of the focus the game gives is due to her obsession with using boxercise to lose weight, she takes it up in the first place to protect Emerl. Sonic & Tails explicitly comment that she's getting stronger. I think it's worth noting that the people who are known to have martial arts training are Knuckles (one of the strongest characters in the setting) and Espio (a literal ninja).
-Sometime after (unsure on the first game where it happened) Amy started asking Sonic out instead of immediately jumping to marriage. It marks a shift, especially since while Sonic will immediately say no to marriage (makes sense considering they aren't adults) he'll often get flustered instead of turning her down when dating gets mentioned.
-Sonic '06. Elise gets kidnapped a billion time but one of the times she gets kidnapped it's Amy who does the rescue. The two of them have a talk and discuss love, not knowing they're both talking about Sonic. Later in the game, Amy doesn't flip out when Elise gives Sonic the kiss of life. She's able to be mature if someone else catches Sonic's eye. Then 06 decides to 06 and erase itself from the timeline.
-Sonic Unleashed. Over the course of the game, there comes a point where Amy asks Sonic if he'll go out with her after he saves the world. The answer has no affect on the game...
-Sonic and the Black Knight. Sonic starts the game with two chili dogs, which doesn't sound like that big of deal. At the end, Amy's chiding him because she thinks he's making excuses instead of truthfully recounting he got sucked into a storybook. Excuses for missing their date. She had finally gotten him to agree to a date...and she feels like he stood her up.

Basically Amy:

jm-wearing-you-dowwwn-memecrunch-com-steve-urkel-meme-related-keywords-53933661.png

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There's something I've been noticing across this marathon that I want to discuss. It's the fact that...I don't think Sega considers the anthropomorphic characters to be animals. It actually started with the first TailsTube on how they specifically said "folks like us" and "people like this" rather than saying animals and humans. A few different cartoons have had attempted matchups between humans and anthros, though admittedly half have been Robotnik "marry royal for power" schemes. If it's true that they aren't viewed as animals, it would help explain why they didn't realize Elise from 06 would be problematic. Sonic almost had a human girlfriend in early development of the first game but someone from Sega of America advised against it. And style does a lot. The weird human designs of AoStH don't feel out of place next to anthro characters. This popped back in my head seeing Breezie and Robotnik Jr. fall in love since, despite both being robots, one is a femme fatale designed to seduce Sonic and the other is designed to be Robotnik's son.
Yeah, it's kinda like how a lot of people lump Sonic characters in with "furry," and while that may hold true for some of the SatAM/pre-reboot Archie characters, I felt like Sonic characters just really have their own thing going on.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
And then Sonic X just kept flip-flopping inconsistently about the whole Sonic/Amy matter.
One of the more interesting things is that Sonic X had an episode with a similar plot of "Sonic agrees to a date with Amy but gets held up fighting something". The main wrinkle is Sonic also double booked a race with Chris's uncle, Sam Speed. The majority of the episode is Amy and Sam hanging out for the day discussing Sonic and having their own adventure. Sam presents the idea that maybe Sonic has a fairly short term memory. At the end of the episode, Sonic meets back up with them and immediately challenges Sam to a race but doesn't acknowledge the date with Amy, who's standing right there.

Somewhere around Sonic Boom, things shifted in how Sonic and Amy's interactions are portrayed. Amy is less likely to openly ask for a date while Sonic is more willing to hang out with her and considers her part of the group.

Yeah, it's kinda like how a lot of people lump Sonic characters in with "furry," and while that may hold true for some of the SatAM/pre-reboot Archie characters, I felt like Sonic characters just really have their own thing going on.
I wonder if part of this is Rouge's fault. She has much closer to regular human proportions and gets portrayed as sexy. In comparison, Amy wears a red, backless dress but is a noodle limbed character portrayed as cute instead of sexy.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Somewhere around Sonic Boom, things shifted in how Sonic and Amy's interactions are portrayed. Amy is less likely to openly ask for a date while Sonic is more willing to hang out with her and considers her part of the group.
In that version, it's because Amy's crush on Sonic is something she tries to keep secret. It's obvious she likes him when you look at all the clues, but it's something that that version of Amy doesn't want Sonic to find out about. And Sonic in turn does view her as a friend, but also occasionally seems to get a bit jealous whenever Amy gives special attention to someone other than him, making one wonder if Boom Sonic may be harboring some deeply-concealed feelings of his own; feelings that he doesn't normally have to think about most of the time because Boom Amy doesn't pursue him at all like most other versions of Amy do.

And this mutual friendship with a hint of something more even allowed the writers of the Boom cartoon to poke fun at the Sonamy ship multiple times.

Last edited:

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
Pretty sure Sonic from Boom has feelings for her by virtue of comments he's said when by himself. I also think there's an element of "worst kept secret" about Sonic & Amy since, at bare minimum, Tails and Eggman seemed fully aware of it. Which makes sense considering Tails is pretty perceptive and Eggman has cameras everywhere.

But despite the Sonic Boom subseries, it seems like the interaction between them in the main series shifted around then. Amy's less overt about dating and marriage while Sonic doesn't react with dread when he sees her.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
"Don't try to marathon Frontiers." Oh boy, wonder how how many people will do that then complain about the game.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I would give it another watch with subs. I never hated it, but the dub has issues I can't completely ignore.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
I just finished AoStH and thus the marathon and all Sonic cartoons until Prime. Probably give my thoughts tomorrow but stuck in a weird place where I don't if I should consider Sonic Christmas Blast its own thing or part of AoStH. I has its own feel despite otherwise being a post series special.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think it was intended to be somewhat standalone but I consider it part of AoStH. Christmas Blast debuted on USA Network in 1996. AoStH was no longer airing on USA Network that year, but SatAM still was. You'd think they'd have wanted their Christmas special to tie closer to the show they were still airing, so the stronger resemblance it has to AoStH is striking.

Shadewing

Citizen
I always found it interesting that they used her early Archie Comic colors (Pink and Black) rather then her SatAM colors (Tan and Brown). Which kinda makes sense, as The first year or two of the Archie comics are more AOSTH based.

Top Bottom