Show me your Retro gaming collections!

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I also finally broke down and got a copy of Metroid off of eBay.
Which cover art? The original release where it has the actual sprite graphics from the game, or what appears to be a re-release where it's yellow with a nifty hand drawn Samus on the cover? I have the later myself and like it better between the two.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I got the original Pixel art one. I already have the box to match that one, just need the cart for it.

That brings my NES want list down to:
Contra
Megaman 1
Megaman 3
TMNT 3
Castlevainia 1
Castlevainia 3
Rescue Rangers
Super C

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
I got the original Pixel art one. I already have the box to match that one, just need the cart for it.

Contra
Megaman 1
Megaman 3
TMNT 3
Castlevainia 1
Castlevainia 3
Rescue Rangers
Super C
For the exception of Super C I have all of those. :p

I really hope to get a copy of Super C someday. Till then I have a physical copy of the Contra collection, so I can at least play it that way.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Contra - got it

Megaman 1 - got it on some collections but not the original cartridge

Megaman 3 - got it on some collections but not the original cartridge

TMNT 3 - got it

Castlevainia 1 - got it

Castlevainia 3 - got it on some collections but not the original cartridge

Rescue Rangers - don't have it in any way

Super C - got it

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
That brings up an interesting question actually. Are there NES games I'm actively after? Like what are my system wants?

I basically have all the big hitters I want. I have all the Megaman games, The Castlevania's the Marios and the Turtle games. Most of the other games. I mean I have all three Ninja Gaiden games.

I'm not a sports person, so I don't have any sports games, nor really want any. I'm not a racer, so I don't have like RC Pro Am or anything or care to.

There are a few big shot games people might say I should get for my collection, but honestly I'm not that interested. Like Mike Tyson's Punch Out, or Battletoads. Maybe if I found them for really cheap, but neither of them really ever seemed like that much fun.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few I wouldn't mind:

Super C
Felix the Cat (Heard it's decent)
Rescue Rangers 2, Ducktails 2
Darkwing Duck would be great. Given it's a sorta MegaMan clone.

Would love Little Samson, but not much of a chance of that.

I would also love to get a copy of Pools of Raidence actually. It and Super C may be my biggest wants right now.

Also wouldn't mind a copy of Fester's Quest just to have it. Oh Nightmare on Elm Street as well, given I have a four score.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That brings up an interesting question actually. Are there NES games I'm actively after? Like what are my system wants?

I have been pretty much just getting what I played or wanted as a kid. Like I have no need to try to get the heavy hitters for the NES, as I don't really have any desire to play them. The only one that I might get is like you, little samson, but I can live with getting a repro of that. :) Other than that, its pretty much what I have been finding cheap at stores.

I'm not a sports person, so I don't have any sports games, nor really want any. I'm not a racer, so I don't have like RC Pro Am or anything or care to.

Tecmo Bowl is a surprisingly fun football game, but it and Base Wars are pretty much the only sports games that I would recommend on the NES.
There are a few big shot games people might say I should get for my collection, but honestly I'm not that interested. Like Mike Tyson's Punch Out, or Battletoads. Maybe if I found them for really cheap, but neither of them really ever seemed like that much fun.

Punch Out is a classic game! I would highly recommend that one. Battletoads is just a favorite of mine, and I would recommend that as well, but to be honest, I mainly played the Gameboy port growing up.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few I wouldn't mind:

Super C
Felix the Cat (Heard it's decent)
Rescue Rangers 2, Ducktails 2
Darkwing Duck would be great. Given it's a sorta MegaMan clone.

Would love Little Samson, but not much of a chance of that.

I would also love to get a copy of Pools of Raidence actually. It and Super C may be my biggest wants right now.

Also wouldn't mind a copy of Fester's Quest just to have it. Oh Nightmare on Elm Street as well, given I have a four score.

Good list! I would also recommend Friday the 13th if you don't have it already.

wentwood

Citizen
My final list

Dragon Warrior VIII - Journey Of The Cursed King
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X (PS 2)
Final Fantasy XI (PS 2)
Final Fantasy XII (PS 2)
Final Fantasy XIII (PS 2)
Final Fantasy XIV (PS 3)
Final Fantasy XV (PS 4)
Double Dragon IV
Mega Man 1 - 8 ( PS 2)
Mega Man 9 (PS 4)
Mega Man 10 (PS 4)
Mega Man 11 (PS4)
Mega Man X 1 - X 8
Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS 2)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS 2)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS 3)
Metal Gear Solid 5 (PS 3)
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Trilogy
Street Fighter III (PS 2)
Super Street Fighter IV (PS 3)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2006 Trilogy) (PS 2)
TMNT - Danger Of The Ooze (PS 3)
TMNT - Mutants In Manhattan (PS 3)
Tekken 4 (PS2)
Tekken 5 (PS 2)
Tekken 6 (PS 3)
Tomb Raider I - V (PS 1)
Tomb Raider VI (PS 2)
Tomb Raider VII (PS 2)
Tomb Raider VIII (PS 2)
Tomb Raider IX (PS 2)
Tomb Raider X (PS 3)

I bought Legacy Collection 2 and Mega Man 11.

I play up to Final Fantasy IX on PS Mini and X - XII on PS 2. Need an HD for my PS 3 for Final Fantasy XIII. I play Final Fantasy III on Android.

I hope to play the Survivor Trilogy from Tomb Raider at some point. Part 1 is on PS 3.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Tecmo Bowl is a surprisingly fun football game, but it and Base Wars are pretty much the only sports games that I would recommend on the NES.
I had a ton when I got my NES initially. My dad had been collecting games and just gave me what he had. I ended up selling them all. Unless it's something silly like MegaMan Soccer, I just don't care. *shrugs*
Punch Out is a classic game! I would highly recommend that one. Battletoads is just a favorite of mine, and I would recommend that as well, but to be honest, I mainly played the Gameboy port growing up.
Punch Out I'd have to try to see if I enjoyed it. Never played it, but don't care to spend near 100 for the thing only to find out I don't like it.

I didn't spend a lot on them thankfully, but I always heard great things about Kid Icarus and Blaster Master for the NES. Both were VERY underwhelming for me. I may never bother to beat them.

Battletoads I'll be honest. I want nothing to do with the jet speeder levels. The rest of the game is fine, but unless I can just skip that stupid jet bike part, I don't want to play. I play games to have fun, not frustrate the hell out of me.
Good list! I would also recommend Friday the 13th if you don't have it already.
I don't, but I don't really want it either. It's one of those if I found it for real cheap I would get it just for the heck of it. Doesn't help I'm not a fan of either horror franchise. I only want the Nightmare on Elm street one because of the four player side scrolling action.

This does remind me that there is one other game I want. Dragon Power. Given it's the first Dragonball game to come over here just under a different name.

Videomaster21XX

Citizen
Damn it how do I keep forgetting games I'm after?

Okay new list of games I'm actively trying to get for NES:
Pools of Radiance. (I played the Commodore 64 version a ton, and this is basically the best port of it I can get)
Monster Party (Because it looks insane)
Gremlins 2 the New Batch (because it looks fun as hell)
Super C (Because I used to play it with a friend long ago)
Bart Vs the World (Used to have it and Space Mutants. Lost both, got a new copy of Space Mutants, but need World)
Dragon Power (For being the first Dragonball game)
Little Samson (Because it's supposed to be great, but too expensive now)

Wasn't there a Ghost and Goblins for the NES? I should get that.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I bought Contra off of Ebay. I found a new seller that was selling it for $21 shipped, so let's hope that it's not a scam! :) Also I forgot about Zelda 2, so I am adding that to the bottom of my list.

TMNT 3
Megaman 1
Megaman 3
Super C
Zelda 2
Rescue Rangers
Castlevainia 1
Castlevainia 3

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So I bought Contra off of Ebay. I found a new seller that was selling it for $21 shipped, so let's hope that it's not a scam! :) Also I forgot about Zelda 2, so I am adding that to the bottom of my list.

TMNT 3
Megaman 1
Megaman 3
Super C
Zelda 2
Rescue Rangers
Castlevainia 1
Castlevainia 3
I got my Contra in yesterday along with a replacement box for Battletoads! I need to do some reorganizing then I will post some pictures!

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So, I stopped by Game exchange today, and took a look around. I picked up a cheap non-transforming G1 Soundwave action figure of some sort and a used Sudowodo pokemon toy. I also picked up some retro titles while I was there. They had obviously got in a lot since I was last there, as they actually had some cool stuff and some of the staples. I picked up Bust a move on the SNES for $14.99. I liked the arcade game, so I might like this. And while it wasn't on my NES wishlist, I got a clean copy of Yoshi's cookie for $9.

I almost picked up a copy of Xmen on the genesis just to get the box since I still have my original game but no box. However the box was damaged on one corner and it was still $20, so I passed this time. I need to make a list of Genesis and SNES games to look out for.

my NES want list:
TMNT 3
Megaman 1
Megaman 3
Super C
Zelda 2
Rescue Rangers
Castlevainia 1
Castlevainia 3

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Well monthly update time it seems.

I picked up a copy of Operation Wolf for the NES for $5 at the local retro game store, as well as a Gameboy 4-player multitap for $8. I knew about this growing up as a Gameboy kid, but I never knew anyone that had it. Seeing one these days is a bit rare, so for $8, I got it. Wishlist still remains the same:

my NES want list:
TMNT 3
Megaman 1
Megaman 3
Super C
Zelda 2
Rescue Rangers
Castlevainia 1
Castlevainia 3
Darkwing Duck

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My genesis collection. It way overfills the shelf. There is my original model 1 that I got for my 13th or 14th birthday. I wanted it over the snes to play Shanghai as I had got addicted to the Mac version at school. It came with Sonic 1 and 2, and two weeks later I used my birthday money to buy X-men! There is a model 2 with a 32X on it that I picked up at a flea market twenty years ago for $20. My only 32x game is Doom. I have a smattering of loose games and a bunch of them in cases. No idea on how to display all of them right now.

So I redid this shelf. I moved the Sega collection down one into a larger shelf and it turned out alright.

1710174019150.png

Now you can see consoles as well as most of the games.

So with the above shelf empty, I decided I would display my Gameboy/Gameboy Advance collection.

1710174102786.png

I got a GBA SP stand off of Etsy, and it looks rather nice, but I need to find out what my girls did with my two GBA SPs. I got my Old school Gameboy there, along with its box and the box that Zelda came in when I was a kid. I was surprised I still have any Gameboy boxes! I also have the Game Genie Box I need to put in there too. I still have three of the Gameboy games I had as a kid, Battletoads(a favorite of mine), Final Fantasy Legend (Epic game!), and of course Zelda: Links Awakening.

That isn't my original Gameboy, as I originally had the first model that had that x-ray looking box:

1710174399636.png

I got it for Christmas the year it came out. We were traveling for Christmas to my aunt's house in Buffalo, NY. The whole flight back we all took turns playing Tetris. It wasa family sport for the first year at least. We got a few games for it, and I started carrying it around in a wooden case, until my Granny identified it as a purse. However, that Gameboy was stolen from my bag during baseball practice after school one day when I was in the 5th grade. What really sucked was that on top of losing my Gameboy, which was my only gaming platform at the time (no NES), it had a borrowed game in it! So I had to use all my saved-up money to pay for a replacement copy of the game.

I didn't find out what happened to that Gameboy for 7 years. One of my classmates named Matt, that wasn't even on our team, went through the bags laying there during practice, and found my Gameboy. He took it and had it on the bus the next day, showing it off. Another boy, named Michael, was bullying him and threw the Gameboy out the bus window onto the road. I was sitting in Music class my senior year, and I over hear Matt talking to another boy named David a row behind me about this tie he got a Gameboy at school. Relating the whole story to David proudly about how he found this Gameboy at school and how Michael had trashed it the very next day. I turned around and asked him if the game inside was Final Fantasy Adventure. He said yeah, and I decked him and turned back around. He stood up, said "What was that for?" To which I stood up a foot taller and wider than him and said, "That was mine!" He sat back down, not wanting to get his butt whooped after admitting to stealing, and class continued. I should have made him pay me back, but it had been 7 years at that point, and he probably couldn't have anyways.

We did get a replacement Gameboy as we still had a handful of games as well as the AC powerpack for it. However, it lost its shine when we got a NES and then a few years later a Genesis and a SNES a year or so after that. We did have some more games, but I am sure that my brother traded them in to one of the mom and pop shops around the nearby larger towns. Megaman, tetris, Marioland, and others were missing from my collection. I will have to try to get some of them back. I already have Marioland, so my want list of games for it isn't that long.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I should note that since I gave a story about the Gameboy I should tell you story about the Sega Genesis.

We moved from a city of almost a million people to one around 2000 people to be near my mom's family. We lived five miles from three different sets of cousins that were all about them same age(9 months from the oldest to the youngest). The Christmas of 1989, they all got the Mario/Duck Hunt NES bundles. We had been growing up with a Commadore 64 and a Atari 2600, so the NES was a huge jump. We didn't get one until July 1991, 2 months before the Super Nintendo came out. Four years later, and we have thoroughly enjoyed the NES but want a next gen system. My brother wanted a SNES, but I wanted a Sega Genesis, as it had Shanghai 2 on it. I had got hooked at school playing a similar game on the mac in the library. My father was adamant that we didn't need more video games and we should get something more outdoorsy. (My father was an outdoorsman and I am sure that it was a great frustration to him that his two sons were geeks, even the Eagle scout one ). So my Dad convinces me that instead of a Sega Genesis, we should get a go-cart. Go carts are awesome to 14 year olds, so why not? However, my father and brother went to the nearby city to get one, only to discover the vast price difference between a $2000 go cart and a $199 Genesis. So what they did was take a giant shipping box (around 7 feet tall, 5 feet wide, and a foot thick, and put it in the living room, telling me that we would have to assemble it. What was inside of it, however, was some weights, and this box:

1710252475013.png

At this point, ours was still a model 1 Genesis but it came with Sonic 1, and a promotion that included Sonic 2 as well! First game I got was X-men, a few weeks later when we went on a trip to my cousin's wedding in NY. The next game was Shanghai 2!

The Genesis model 2 and 32X was something that I picked up at a flea market in the early 2000's for $10 untested no cables, controllers, or games.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Two new additions to the retro game collection. I stopped by Game Exchange on the way to run some errands at lunch. I got a loose copy of Donkey Kong Country for the SNES with the dust cover. Not a bad pick up for $14. I also got a complete in case copy of Aladdin for the Genesis for $6! I had a loose copy already but for $6, this was a great upgrade!

Top Bottom