Saints Row

Shadewing

Citizen
The first game I don't think has ever been re-released; Even the Steam franchise collection doesn't included it. You might have to track down a hard copy of the 360 release to play it.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
If you can play 2, then you really aren't missing anything... other than the explanation for 2's opening.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
The thing is, I can play 2, but streaming games takes about three-five minutes to start up, you can't keep it running when you put the system to sleep...it just isn't an optimum way to play. But I may go back and try it once I'm done with 3. Who knows? I just wish there were a better way to play PS3 other than streaming.

I mean, like, yeah, I do have a PS3 and could go get a copy from Disc Replay. But I hate to do that when I can already play it using PS+ streaming. But I hate to use PS+ streaming because it's just not a pleasant way to play.

Don't try to figure that one out. I'm just messed in the head.

Shadewing

Citizen
I just started SR The Third. I tried to start 2, but it was one of the ones you have to stream, which while it works better than I thought it would, the load times are horrendous. But so far 3 does look interesting. I just did the airplane bit at the very beginning and should probably call it a night.

BTW, No, Hazy is not allowed to rob the bank like that. :p

Cradok

Citizen
I'm still waiting for that Saint's Row 2 rerelease they said would fix all the bugs. Now that they're just straight-up rebooting the series, I'm pretty sure that's been officially canned and they're just not bothering to tell anyone.

It was a two-man team working on it, and one of them died last year, so I wouldn't hold out much hope.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The thing is, I can play 2, but streaming games takes about three-five minutes to start up, you can't keep it running when you put the system to sleep...it just isn't an optimum way to play. But I may go back and try it once I'm done with 3. Who knows? I just wish there were a better way to play PS3 other than streaming.
hhrrrmmmm...

I need to check my disks. I know I had SR2 on the Playstation... but I don't remember how I had it.

Edit: hhrrrmmmm... where did I even put my playstation disks. Shit, this might take a while...

Caldwin

Citizen
Okay, I really want to hear opinions on the new one from y'all. I don't really care for the characters too much, but I'm liking the game play.

Thing is, I'm not hearing anything but bad from just about all sources.

It's woke:
I don't really see that. You have a diverse cast. But I don't see anything really woke here. I think a lot was being made about the player character in the trailer because she had "the haircut." But when you can customize the player character to be absolutely anything you want, it feels like a stupid thing to get hung up on.

The characters are hipsters, not gangsters:
Now this one I definitely see. If this were the main thing being brought up, I'd totally understand. Eli in particular is absolutely not my favorite character.

Buggy as hell:
Maybe my time with Cyberpunk 2077 desensitized me to this. I've had a few crashes, which is irritating. I also saw a few bugs. But (sadly) that just seems like the state of the industry today. I can't remember the last time I saw a AAA game that wasn't buggy as hell at release.

But like I've said before, I am relatively new to the franchise. So I'd really like to hear from some of you.

Shadewing

Citizen
I've not played it yet, probably wont for a while unfortunately; however I will say: The woke complaint is complete bullshit; this series has always had a diverse cast, even in the first game; but the second game is where that really exploded between the more expanded character creator and being able to be either male or female; and the new saints. They've always tried to make the games as inclusive as possible.

Caldwin

Citizen
Yeah, usually I'd be right on board the bandwagon of "hug this woke bulljive." But when I started hearing it about this after the first trailer and I watched the trailer myself to see what was being talked about, I was just like uh, guys? You're really reaching here."

I will give credence to the hipster vs. gangster complaint. And I'll even concede the buggy complaint (though like I said, I can't remember a recent AAA release that hasn't needed several patches at the start). But the woke thing...yeah, from what I've seen so far, that's bull shit.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Wasn't 2 the one that also made gender a slider rather than a pick-one-or-the-other situation? Granted, between the game's overall wackiness and the fact that they got rid of it in the next game, I'd suspect it was done that way as a joke more than anything else, and a joke they came to feel was in bad taste. Little did they know.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't see the woke. People are really reaching this time.

Non-gangster characters doing gangster things is fine. Whether it's done well here is questionable, but I get it.

The only complaint I understand is a lack of interaction with the supposed open world. The best way I've heard it put is that the open world is just a really elaborate level select menu, not something you're living in. But that's just how things are now.

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, today I'll be getting the Cowabunga Collection so I won't be putting as much time into this. But I am having a blast with the new Saint Row and will definitely try to keep it going.

I will say even with just one full game of the pre-reboot series under my belt, I don't really care as much for the new crew as I do the old. I especially don't care much for Eli who really keeps giving me Baxter Stockman vibes.

But the crew is growing on me, particularly Neenah. I'm definitely glad I didn't listen to all of the reviews. I think I have a new favorite franchise.

Caldwin

Citizen
So question for y'all...

Let's just say for the sake of argument that you subscribe to a service that lets you download a bunch of old games for free. You can play these games as long as you eant as long as you subscribe to this service so you don't have to go looking for these games and wasting your money on physical versions of these games.

What does that look like? Does it look anything like this?

D75D82C2-A5B2-49A5-955E-85B49ADBC7F4.jpeg

Caldwin

Citizen
Well, credits are rolling (though I've still got plenty to do). That was actually pretty fun. I can understand why old fans might be disappointed with the new crew, but being new(ish) to the series, I had fun.

I will say that there were a few times I had to restart some checkpoints because the game glitched out, which was annoying. But over all, pretty fun game.

Caldwin

Citizen
Little tip, when you get to the point where you can build the Saints Tower, be ready to take some video capture. So worth the $8,000,000!

Caldwin

Citizen
So, just wondering, who else has the new game. I just realized I'm actually really close to the Platinum, but one of the trophies requires pranking in co-op. So I figured if one of you wanted to prank me, I prank you and we'll both have the one trophy that requires another player.

Top Bottom