Sailor Moon Discussion

wentwood

Citizen
I'm watching Sailor Stars on Viz DVD right now.

Despite it's gender problems with the 3 Lights and a few other things it's a good series.

I'm watching Sailor Moon R presently.

Once I get to S it will be the Dic cast so I may need to see the Dic version of Series I and R soon.

For my set the Dic cast will be featured for S and Super S plus the movies but no episodes are skipped.

Echowarrior

Citizen
...wait, the DiC/Cloverway dub is available? Legitimately available?

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, nostalgia. On the other hand, the Viz dub is superior.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
...wait, the DiC/Cloverway dub is available? Legitimately available?

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, nostalgia. On the other hand, the Viz dub is superior.
Wentwood is likely talking about the old DVD sets of the DiC/Cloverway dub of the movies, Super, and SuperS that were released way back in the 2000s.

The DiC dub of Classic and R were also released on individual DVDs (instead of season sets) way back then too, but it sounds like Wentwood is talking about the Viz dub DVD sets for those two.

wentwood

Citizen
I got a 10 disk set for Sailor Moon and they went with the Dic Dub starting with S.

I may need to stream the Dic episodes for Series I and R.

The set I have will pick up for skipped episodes.

Another company had put this out.

wentwood

Citizen
Note on releases -

Some countries may not have been able to get the Viz sets so for mine the Dic episodes were the only ones available when they made the set.

I do have the Viz set for Sailor Stars for an English dub.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There is no shame in watching an inferior dub if it's what you remember and you like it.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
If you were getting it solely for the DIC/Old dub cast I wouldn't blame you. There are no legal courses to obtain it outside of outlandish prices for the original releases and none of the creators are seeing that money. That said if it's just trying to watch the show overall than I do go withthe legal course of action whenever possible. I think ViZ is still in the middle of releasing the original series on Blu-Ray after the original DVD printings. But Eternal still hasn't made to to anything outside of Netflix in the west hasn't it?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Ah. Well, count me out then.

Inferior dub or not, the folks who worked on it did their best, and they deserve compensation. You don't get compensation for a bootleg.
What tipped me off was the fact that it was described as a 10-disc set, when there has never been a complete series DVD release for the entirety of a Sailor Moon dub (any dub) in one set.

But Eternal still hasn't made to to anything outside of Netflix in the west hasn't it?
I think so, yeah. Seems Netflix wants to maintain the sole distribution rights for Eternal at this time.

jonfromtheIRS

only person to ever like ReLoad by Metallica
Citizen
Honestly, i cant respect the 90s dub of Sailor Moon in any regard.

Admittedly even in its untouched original form the anime does have some odd or even plain bad changes from the manga, but the Cloverway dub takes that to 1'000 in many ways. Characters have theyre names needlessly changed, the final two episodes of classic are ripped apart and stitched into one removing the entire emotional core of the episode, Sailor Stars wasnt even acknowledged, and the main reason for my harsh feelings towards it, what they did to ALL the LGBT rep the original show had.
First, the gay couple in classic (Jadeite and Zoisite i think?) were turned into a straight couple by making one of them a girl.

Then they basically mutilated the episode of S where mako basically discovers the fact she is bi, and the one that really rustles my jimmys, Haruka and Michiru.
(Sailors Uranus and Neptune respectively) Who were taken from being a really nice lesbian couple, to really wierd and creepy cousins witch never feel nice to watch and could probably be easilly interperited in many bad ways. And with Sailor Moon in its unaltered state being some of the best rep i have ever seen in a show, you can kinda understand where im comming from. And yea i know its because of how things were at the time or whatever, but that doesnt mean i have to like it especially when a better dub thats true to the actual show is far more easilly avalible now.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
First, the gay couple in classic (Jadeite and Zoisite i think?) were turned into a straight couple by making one of them a girl.
Wasn't that one by DiC? Or did Cloverway redo it?

Cloverway probably could have done something better than cousins, but I don't think anyone else could have gotten away with not making the types of changes they made at the time, anyway. It was that, or find some place that gets subbed VHS tapes (much more difficult before internet use became more prolific).

I'm happy to have gotten what we did, as much as we did, when we did. Sucked we didn't get the last season, though.

Not saying it's perfect or ideal by any means, but the world is constantly changing (and no, they haven't brought back pudding pops*). Even from where we were 15 years ago, a lot of stuff has become more acceptable, even if not accepted by everyone, and Sailor Moon is even older than that. Even in its chopped up localized form, it was still pretty groundbreaking.

* Now to see if anyone gets this reference.

jonfromtheIRS

Citizen
Wasn't that one by DiC? Or did Cloverway redo it?

Cloverway probably could have done something better than cousins, but I don't think anyone else could have gotten away with not making the types of changes they made at the time, anyway. It was that, or find some place that gets subbed VHS tapes (much more difficult before internet use became more prolific).

I'm happy to have gotten what we did, as much as we did, when we did. Sucked we didn't get the last season, though.

Not saying it's perfect or ideal by any means, but the world is constantly changing (and no, they haven't brought back pudding pops*). Even from where we were 15 years ago, a lot of stuff has become more acceptable, even if not accepted by everyone, and Sailor Moon is even older than that. Even in its chopped up localized form, it was still pretty groundbreaking.

* Now to see if anyone gets this reference.
iirc DiC were distributors and Cloverway were the ones actually producing it.

And yea the og dubs kind of a double edged sword.
Cause it did get out there and get big, but at the cost of it being extremely scuffed due to how the times were.
But regardless, we have a good dub now that can be reccomended instead so its not that big of a deal.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Characters have theyre names needlessly changed,
Just like every kids anime dub at the time. Pokemon, Digimon, Medabots, Yu-Gi-Oh, Beyblade, even the much revered DBZ had some slight name alterations. It was what was done back then.

the final two episodes of classic are ripped apart and stitched into one removing the entire emotional core of the episode,
It was the only way to get those episodes on the air. Otherwise, they would have been banned from ever airing. Imagine jumping from the episode before straight to the first episode of R. It would have made no sense.

Sailor Stars wasnt even acknowledged,
Not much that could have been done about that. The contract expired and Toei revoked all licenses at the time. Even the Japanese version of SuperS didn't acknowledge Sailor Stars (outside of the final episode's next-episode preview, but that's being pedantic).

(Jadeite and Zoisite i think?)
Zoisite and Kunzite

iirc DiC were distributors and Cloverway were the ones actually producing it.
DiC was the company that produced the dub of Classic and R, Pioneer was the company that both produced and distributed the dubs of the three movies, and Cloverway was the North American branch of Toei at the time that produced the dub of Super and SuperS. All were produced by the studio of Optimum Productions.

The original syndication rights of the DiC dub were handled by The Program Exchange, while the VHS and DVD distribution was handled by ADV. Both the movies' dubs and the Cloverway dub were distributed on VHS and DVD by Pioneer (later renamed Geneon by the time last few DVDs of SuperS were released).

wentwood

Citizen
Mostly using the DVDs to catch up.

I had gotten Sailor Stars from Viz recently.

However given that the US has to re dub to not offend I will be watching the Japanese versions regardless of what series.

If trying not to get US viewers mad I'm done with US anime and cartoons.

The US has always taken a pansy approach to these shows and it's getting to be a bridge too far for me.

jonfromtheIRS

Citizen
Not much that could have been done about that. The contract expired and Toei revoked all licenses at the time. Even the Japanese version of SuperS didn't acknowledge Sailor Stars (outside of the final episode's next-episode preview, but that's being pedantic).

Zoisite and Kunzite

DiC was the company that produced the dub of Classic and R, Pioneer was the company that both produced and distributed the dubs of the three movies, and Cloverway was the North American branch of Toei at the time that produced the dub of Super and SuperS. All were produced by the studio of Optimum Productions.

The original syndication rights of the DiC dub were handled by The Program Exchange, while the VHS and DVD distribution was handled by ADV. Both the movies' dubs and the Cloverway dub were distributed on VHS and DVD by Pioneer (later renamed Geneon by the time last few DVDs of SuperS were released).
did not actually know that about Sailor Stars

thanks for the name corrections i never get em right lol

also thats a lot of companys damn

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
However given that the US has to re dub to not offend I will be watching the Japanese versions regardless of what series.
What are you talking about? The Viz dub of Sailor Stars is accurate. It changed nothing about the Starlights' ability to physiologically change their bodies' genders or Seiya's crush on Usagi.

Top Bottom