Sailor Moon Discussion

wentwood

Citizen
USA Dubbing Due To Cencorship - From Wikipedia

Sailor Moon's original North American release was the subject of heavy editing which resulted in large amounts of removed content and alterations that greatly changed the original work.[32] These changes altered almost every aspect of the show including character names, clothing, scenes and dialogue. Some scenes with brief nudity and bathing were also censored,[33] and any type of violence including violence against children was also removed.[15][34]

The series also faced censorship of LGBTQ characters and thematics in numerous countries.[35] Censorship in various countries ranged from changing a character's gender to removing gender fluidness in characters, or editing romantic pairings into close relationships between family members.[36][37][38][20] English Professor Diana Burgos of Florida Atlantic University identifies that the 2014 remake of Sailor Moon titled Sailor Moon Crystal retains a lot of the central themes about gender and sexual identity that is showcased within both the manga and Japanese Sailor Moon anime, but removed from the 1990s Sailor Moon dub.[35] Sociology professor Rhea Hoskin specifies that the removal of homosexual and gender-fluid characters in the 1990s Sailor Moon highlights the exclusivity of what was otherwise representation of LGBTQ in a female-lead superhero show.[39] Modern releases restore the censored material cut from the original Japanese version.[40]

wentwood

Citizen
Regardless of the above reason I will possibly try to watch the Toei versions which are currently on Tubi.

Videomaster21XX

This is how a unicorn comments
Citizen
I'm not entirely sure I can label the DiC dub as "inferior" and my reasons are summed up in this video rather well:

Of course with me, I've stated how much of a fan I am of the DiC dub plenty of times. I can't deny nostalgia has some stakes in it, but I've said it before and I'll say it again. I find the DiC dub music just better than what the original had. In just about every way. I want THAT music.

If I was super rich and super lucky (as I'm sure it'd be a nightmare to get this done) I'd take the show, re-dub it with as close as I could get with the DiC voices. (Most notably as close as I could get for Terri Hawkes Serena. She'll always be my Serena) This includes the Fawk British Amy and Luna and all., but with nothing cut out. No cut episodes, no edited-out stuff, no mashed together final two season 1 episodes. (and no cousins, but that was another team entirely)

Sadly that will never happen, so I have to take what I can get. Luckily I DO have the original DiC Dub DVDS, and the Cloverway DVDS of S and SuperS, so I at least get to keep the names I was used to.

I grabbed Stars via the viz dub just to finish the series, and I have to say by then I feel the Viz actors have at least gotten the hang of it by then. Still not the biggest fan of them, but I don't hate it. They at least sound better then they did in the very first episode of the series. I'm sorry but to me that sounded like very wooden acting from the viz dub over.

Haven't grabbed anything else from viz yet. I will at least get the first season so I can watch the cut episodes and full two episode final.

wentwood

Citizen
The set I have is to watch what was skipped by Dic.

I at least want to see the full story.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
She's a little rounder than the other Sailors, sure, but I think calling her "Chubi" is a bit much...

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I. Mean there are times when Usagi might be rounding that way in the old series.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I. Mean there are times when Usagi might be rounding that way in the old series.
Hey now, come on, she's insecure about that.

All kidding aside, a number of episodes had her feel bad about her weight and/or body shape (but not enough to fully change her diet since she still loves her some snacks).

Last edited:

wentwood

Citizen
I just watched Dic 03 Slim City today.

So far this version is going Ok but I was glad to have watched the Japanese version for skipped episodes.

Now watching the Dic dub of Series I.

This is kind of making me think of Trans Formers Galaxy Force having seen the Cybertron episodes.

wentwood

Citizen
Sailor Moon Dic Dub

Well I have to admit after seeing Series I on my set I was watching the Dic dub out of curiosity.

And having seen the Toei side Dic had kept the story proper but I've had the same issues with Power Rangers.

In the case of both PR and Sailor Moon it feels way too.... watered down honestly.

The Dic dub feels totally gutted from the Toei episodes and a total rebuild from the ground up.

With the set I have you see the full story and nothing changed which was the big draw for me.

If you cut stuff you might lose what's important to the overall story of Sailor Moon.

This is why I don't watch US versions of anime.

It doesn't feel natural to me.

Here's the weird part big time.

My set has the Dic Dub at Sailor Moon S but no episodes are skipped and Japanese titles are used rather than Gramps In A Pickle and a few others.

The Series 3 titles are in English on top of it which helps so in my case I get to see an extended version of S and Super S with the Dic cast which could be fun.

This is why I'm streaming the first 2 Dic dub versions for Sailor Moon and R.

On my set it's the Viz cast.

As for the new group I agree that it didn't feel natural at first but being 64 in it feels like they were getting into the flow of the series.

Last edited:

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
The background music is better, but a lot of the vocals are overly adjusted to make them sound better. Just comes off as fake.

Top Bottom