Robots in Disguise (2001) Appreciation Thread

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
You young folk weren't around back then, so I understand where your confusion comes from.

(snip)
NONE of us are confused. We know exactly what we're talking about. We're talking past each other. You're making a case literally NO ONE is arguing against, except to say that the points you're making aren't relevant to what we're talking about.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Forgive me then, let me go back and address what you said directly.

I know it's pedantic to say so, but acknowledging that the previous post is entirely correct about how late this toy came out (as well as the Armada styling of the package format), it's TOTALLY part of the RiD line. It says so right there on the package, as demonstrated by the picture visible in his own post.

You are saying that its part of the RID2001 line. The line that ended the year before the toy came out. I am saying that there is a difference between RID2001 and RID2003. RID2001 was a mainline toyline that was carried by all the retailers with the only exclusives coming late at the end of the toyline in 2002. RID2003, with its new packaging was a completely store exclusive line that released months after the RID2001 ended and was sold along with Armada that was almost halfway through at that point.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Out of all the images showing RID, the repaint of TM2 Megatron caught my eye, I always thought that was merely a fan deco instead of a real product, shows what I know! 😁
Yeah, I am hoping that we will get a repaint of the recent Legacy figure for him, as my original Cryotek has seen better days.....

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm just over here eating popcorn and enjoying the deluge of sweet, sweet nostalgia from all this packaging.

I think this post-RID2001/Universe 1.0 space is what I want Generations Selects to really turn into. Sure, keep the predictable "they have this mold, they'll probably get its Diaclone colors out at some point", but also give me the joyous randomness and mixed-bag-of-effectiveness homages.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
Forgive me then, let me go back and address what you said directly.

You are saying that its part of the RID2001 line. The line that ended the year before the toy came out. I am saying that there is a difference between RID2001 and RID2003. RID2001 was a mainline toyline that was carried by all the retailers with the only exclusives coming late at the end of the toyline in 2002. RID2003, with its new packaging was a completely store exclusive line that released months after the RID2001 ended and was sold along with Armada that was almost halfway through at that point.
That's one perspective, but mine (and others) is that putting a dividing line that creates an "RiD2003" designation is something that Hasbro didn't actually do, themselves. It's something you can do on the basis of evidence (and let me be clear, I'm not disputing any of the facts you're citing. Only that your interpretation is not the only one that can be drawn), but it's arbitrary. If we're saying it's an RiD figure (and specifically, a figure of RiD Scourge), you really don't have a leg to stand on to say that it isn't, and trying to tell us it's from a different RiD line is picking nits.

You say the RiD2001 line ended, wth a new RID line created in 2003. I say that the RiD2001 line was resuscitated in 2003. Who's to call me wrong? Surely there's more basis to say that the "new" 2003 line is simply a resuscitation of the 2001 line than there is to say that RiD2015 (which didn't even use the same logo) is....

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
So does this mean there's a case for shoving all those 'unknown continuity' Universe 1.0 characters into RID?

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's one perspective, but mine (and others) is that putting a dividing line that creates an "RiD2003" designation is something that Hasbro didn't actually do, themselves. It's something you can do on the basis of evidence (and let me be clear, I'm not disputing any of the facts you're citing. Only that your interpretation is not the only one that can be drawn), but it's arbitrary. If we're saying it's an RiD figure (and specifically, a figure of RiD Scourge), you really don't have a leg to stand on to say that it isn't, and trying to tell us it's from a different RiD line is picking nits.

You say the RiD2001 line ended, wth a new RID line created in 2003. I say that the RiD2001 line was resuscitated in 2003. Who's to call me wrong? Surely there's more basis to say that the "new" 2003 line is simply a resuscitation of the 2001 line than there is to say that RiD2015 (which didn't even use the same logo) is....

That reminds me of this. :)

1708711445751.png

I don't know what else I can say to explain my point on this subject, as I laid out the evidence and there is nothing new to say or debate. We all know that the RID2001 line ended, and halfway through its successor's run these came out the following year with the hybrid packaging as all retail exclusives, similar I might add to how they had the Transformers Dinobots line.

1708711897886.png

Without any internal Hasbro documents, I don't think I could convince you, and we will just have to leave it at agree to disagree.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
There's nothing to convince. If I haven't convinced you that I do understand your position (but take a different one), I don't see anything futher to discuss, either.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
I was born in 1996, Transformers Robots in Disguise was literally my introduction to this damn franchise, what the hell are you talking about saying I wasn't around back then lol.
Suffice it to say, I'm a fair bit older than even that, and had a similar reaction.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There's nothing to convince. If I haven't convinced you that I do understand your position (but take a different one), I don't see anything futher to discuss, either.
No, I see your stance quite clearly, hence the agree to disagree.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I was born in 1996, Transformers Robots in Disguise was literally my introduction to this damn franchise, what the hell are you talking about saying I wasn't around back then lol.
You were 4 or 5 years old when the line launched. No offense, but I doubt that you could have even read the names boxart at 4 or 5 years old, and would have no idea the complexities of wave releases and exclusives at that time. Meanwhile, I was a 20 year old man, emailing Hasbro about Scourge's toy release.

GB on the other hand has been around maybe longer than I have, and my comments were more meant to you and the other younger posters and not him as he knows the information I shared with you.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Sooo...RiD2001. This was the series that got me back into collecting Transformers hard. I was born in 1981 and grew up with the G1 cartoon, but mostly got Gobots for toys. RiD Prime was my first ever Optimus Prime, and I was super happy to have him!

I do remember getting the "more G1" heads for Prowl and Sideburn (into Tracks) from Transrepro, but thankfully those were modifications that were reversible!

I just wish Hasbro would get the rights to release the series on DVD or BluRay (or streaming, I guess)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Did this group make their own products before or after Unicron.com started making theirs? Because the Unicron.com upgrade kits were some of the first third party products ever.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
While I do second Coffee's assertion that people needed to calm down over this, I'm going to be honest with you - I miss these nitpicking of granular details types of arguments.

It's so refreshing to see a discourse on stuff like this given what every other ******* argument amounts to these days.

Anyway, carry on!

Top Bottom