Robots in Disguise (2001) Appreciation Thread

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Okay, I was going to mention this in a thread where I thought I had seen discussion about an upcoming Ultra Magnus figure and whether it should just be one robot, or an inner-robot and outer-armor thing. But I can't find it, Search can't find it, so here we are.

Been looking at a bit of RiD for something lately, and between that and the above-mentioned topic, I got to thinking...

Is it time for Omega Prime to make a comeback?

I was thinking on the Ultra Magnus thing, and I like the inner-robot/armor deal, buuuuuuut... I would be willing to forgo that if Optimus could combine with him again.

I'm not talking about a slavish recreation here (though I'd welcome that, too), but just a new take on the concept of the two combining into Omega Prime. I'd kinda like to see a G1-styled take on it, despite knowing that RiD is part of JG1...

Which brings me to something else which came to mind:

Car Robots was a Japanese production that was ultimately a part of JG1, and was imported into the US to be our first wholly-unique stand-alone continuity. With that said, I'd sort of like to see an American-made sequel that follows on from it as part of its own universe, rather than as a part of the bigger Japanese G1 picture.

Am I alone in this?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
They did do that Encore rerelease a few years back in 2018.

It was a bit faulty, though, so that may have soured things a bit.

A few places even still that Encore reissue in stock.

MrBlud

Citizen
I feel like they could probably get away with a decent Commander Omega Prime but to really shine you’d probably need a Haslab.

Alexcoene

Citizen
I mean, I'd rather get new continuity take on the Transformers than sequels, especially since RID was very self-contained and left no meaningful loose ends.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
If Hasbro were to redo RID OP & Ultra Magnus, I'm betting they'll be seperate leader class figures or a commander and leader, last I checked Hasbro didn't want to put Optimus prime into a Haslab, so that the best way to go about it, I know speculation about the upcoming Legacy Armada OP has fans believing at some point we'll see a updated verison of Armada Jetfire and maybe Overload but that is just specluation at this point, so if they were to do them again as new molds, I think the options I presented would be the best for the RID characters

Lobjob

Citizen
I am ecstatic for Tow-Line. It'd be neat to get all those characters remade, but not like slavish remolds. New designs, like everybody got upgraded for a new story and if we use the new Tow-Line as a base...this Earth might not be in that great of shape.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
I would be curious how they would reimagine Omega Prime without straying too far from the original? With Ultra Magnus kind of exploding and then folding around Optimus as armor, what would an alternate take do that didn't just retread what the original did (and, possibly, with a lower parts count)?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I would be curious how they would reimagine Omega Prime without straying too far from the original? With Ultra Magnus kind of exploding and then folding around Optimus as armor, what would an alternate take do that didn't just retread what the original did (and, possibly, with a lower parts count)?
While I can't see them eliminating the "break apart into armor" aspect for the combination, they could at least try to make Magnus transform from truck to robot as one solid figure, rather than having to disconnect and reconnect his legs for the truck/robot transformation.

This is what Takara tried to do with their Legends Godbomber figure.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
My RiD Ultra Magnus is now extremely yellowed and in a tote in my closet.

Lobjob

Citizen
I love Omega Prime but he was never good at supporting his weight. I'd take a second go that helps with that a bit

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I've been theorizing about something from the RID 2001 toyline lately.

As we all know, the Hasbro line was greatly expanded to have way more toys than those released in the original Car Robots line. While most of these extra releases were mere redecos of preexisting molds from G1, G2, Beast Wars, Machine Wars, and Beast Machines (including some that were made for those lines but not first released until this line), there were four completely brand new molds made for this line that were an anomaly among all the other preexisting molds. Said four new molds were the Basic class Spychanger-styled toys of Scourge, X-Brawn, Optimus Prime, and Ultra Magnus.

uakiHbF.jpeg

fUntHmk.jpeg

By all appearances, these four new figures stand out as completely random in their existence as all-new molds created specifically for the Hasbro version of the line, when not a single other figure released in this line was a new mold made specifically for the Hasbro line. Yet, following the third Basic Class wave that consisted of the four G1-molded Decepticon combiners, these four unique cases came along as the line's fourth Basic Class wave, released in January 2002.

As of late, I've been thinking about why these four figures were made at all, why Hasbro spent the money and effort into having these four made, instead of just releasing more redecos of existing Basic Class molds from Beast Wars or Beast Machines to create more non-show toyline-original characters (after all, the very next Basic Class wave, Wave 5, saw the release of a brown redeco of Beast Machines Obsidian).

At the time of this wave's release, January 2002, the cartoon was on a sort of hiatus on Fox Kids, airing reruns until new episodes resumed later in February. And the first of these new episodes to air that year was none other than Episode 33, "Maximus Emerges", the episode that finally saw the long-awaited debut of Fortress Maximus's robot mode. And later in May, Transfandom.com started reporting preorders for Hasbro release of the Car Robots Brave Maximus toy as Robots in Disguise Fortress Maximus, which was to have been exclusive to FAO Schwartz stores and certain online retailers like Action Figure Express and Big Bad Toy Store.

The product description from Action Figure Express even specified that it was going to be released in the original Car Robots packaging (suggesting that Hasbro had simply acquired overstock from Takara) and would see release later in August 2002. However, this release did not happen because the G1 Fortress Maximus toy mold (which the Car Robots/RID figure was made from) failed to pass Hasbro's drop tests, and thus did not meet their safety standards at the time.

But, that does not change the fact that Hasbro did originally have every intention of bringing the set over to release in the Robots in Disguise line. And seeing as how the Spychanger toys scaled the best with Maximus's city mode in order to get the most playability out of it...

K5q5nUW.jpeg
If0DXAG.jpeg
qZLHov2.jpeg

...I feel like Hasbro may have wanted some size-appropriate smaller toys of some of the more major characters from the show. Namely, Scourge actually went inside Maximus's shoulder compartment in the show, so a Spychanger-sized toy of him made sense to let kids recreate that scene in toy form.

wo8W74J.jpeg

And if there was going to be a Scourge, it'd then make sense to have an Optimus for him to face off against. Though, the length of his fire truck mode probably made it more practical for his toy to be bigger than the average Spychanger and thus turn into his super robot mode instead of his cab-only normal robot mode. And if Optimus was gonna get a (larger-than-normal) Spychanger-esque toy, why not also Ultra Magnus?

That then just left Scourge's 2-pack companion needing to be figured out, since his toy was normal Spychanger-sized and all normal Spychangers were sold as 2-packs in the mass retail Basic Class at the time (as this was before the single-packed "Spy Changer" releases that would come later as store exclusives). Ultimately, Scourge's companion ended up being X-Brawn, and I think I may have figured out why.

The first wave of Basic Class toys consisted of three 2-packs featuring the six cartoon-character Spychangers from the Car Robots line, but the second wave (preceding the Wave 3 Decepticon Combiner limbs) consisted of two 2-packs featuring four more non-cartoon Spychangers made from molds that had originally been created for the Generation 2 line's assortments of Go-Bots, but were never released until Robots in Disguise in 2001. These four were Daytonus, Side Burn, Prowl 2, and Side Swipe.

GXHW4gy.jpeg

a3YbyTy.jpeg

Since two of these were Spychanger versions of non-Spychanger Autobot Brothers Side Burn and Prowl (I'm not gonna get into the can of worms that is "Prowl 2"; it was likely that Hasbro simply viewed the toy as just Prowl and didn't give a rat's head about anomalous "2" in his name), it would logically stand to reason that a Spychanger version of X-Brawn would be just the thing needed to go with them to complete the trio. Thus, X-Brawn became Scourge's companion piece, fitting the bill for their 2-pack release while simultaneously completing the three Autobot Brothers in Spychanger form.

...But then, as mentioned above, the Brave Maximus import release got canceled. So, this wave of Basic class figures that had been made with the anticipation of interacting with the big city playset toy suddenly no longer had said playset to go with them, and just released as they were anyway since Hasbro had already put the effort into having them made in the first place.

But hey! That's just a theory!

A TOY theory!

Aaaaaaaaaand cut!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Makes sense. It's like how they they launched Generations Legends to go with Titan Metroplex.

G.B.Blackrock

Citizen
The theory makes as much sense as any, and I know of no known facts to dispute it, although I would point out that Hasbro was responsible for the anomalous "2" in Prowl 2's name. They didn't have to put it there! While neither Spychanger Sideburn nor Prowl (2) especially resembles their larger namesakes, the resemblance in vehicle mode is clearly intentional (if Prowl 2 admittedly deviates from Prowl more than Sideburn does from the larger version). Maybe the "2" was a late addition to "explain" the (late?) change in police deco.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The theory makes as much sense as any, and I know of no known facts to dispute it, although I would point out that Hasbro was responsible for the anomalous "2" in Prowl 2's name. They didn't have to put it there! While neither Spychanger Sideburn nor Prowl (2) especially resembles their larger namesakes, the resemblance in vehicle mode is clearly intentional (if Prowl 2 admittedly deviates from Prowl more than Sideburn does from the larger version). Maybe the "2" was a late addition to "explain" the (late?) change in police deco.
The running theory on that is that the "2" was a holdover from the Deluxe class Supercharge Mode Autobot Brothers' toys being internally labeled with a "2" at the end of their names in store computers ("Side Burn 2", "X-Brawn 2" etc.), and that the Basic class toy was colored based more on the blue and white Prowl toy instead of the white and black one (whether by accident or on purpose we may never know). While the yellow of his robot mode doesn't match the Deluxe Super Mode toy's deco, neither does the orange of Spychanger Side Burn match the deco of his non-Super Deluxe toy (though, the gangmolding between these guys is also at play).

The Binaltech fiction, the Beast Wars Sourcebook, and Ask Vector Prime were all still years away from 2001, so none of their complications that were further brought to this matter were a yet factor.

Last edited:

Echowarrior

Citizen
I am very much eager to have HasLab Omega Prime and kinda wish that we could get more new toys based on RiD. Sideburn seems to be a given at this point, and I think Skid-Z would be easy for Hasbro to do if they so desired.

They probably won't, but still, doesn't seem difficult.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I would like for Hasbro to do the Autobots that make up Railracer as a modern figure, plus the Buildteam, they are overdue for an update, but then so is Thunderwing, who despite being one of the key villians of the old Marvel comics, has only had one new toy since his debut and that was the Classics/Universe/Generations line, anyway, for RID Skidz, they just need to take one of the WFC trilogy Mirage figures and repaint him and your done, its the Autobot brothers and the Autobot combiners that need updates, plus Megatron/Galvatron

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've been theorizing about something from the RID 2001 toyline lately.

As we all know, the Hasbro line was greatly expanded to have way more toys than those released in the original Car Robots line. While most of these extra releases were mere redecos of preexisting molds from G1, G2, Beast Wars, Machine Wars, and Beast Machines (including some that were made for those lines but not first released until this line), there were four completely brand new molds made for this line that were an anomaly among all the other preexisting molds. Said four new molds were the Basic class Spychanger-styled toys of Scourge, X-Brawn, Optimus Prime, and Ultra Magnus.

uakiHbF.jpeg

fUntHmk.jpeg

By all appearances, these four new figures stand out as completely random in their existence as all-new molds created specifically for the Hasbro version of the line, when not a single other figure released in this line was a new mold made specifically for the Hasbro line. Yet, following the third Basic Class wave that consisted of the four G1-molded Decepticon combiners, these four unique cases came along as the line's fourth Basic Class wave, released in January 2002.

As of late, I've been thinking about why these four figures were made at all, why Hasbro spent the money and effort into having these four made, instead of just releasing more redecos of existing Basic Class molds from Beast Wars or Beast Machines to create more non-show toyline-original characters (after all, the very next Basic Class wave, Wave 5, saw the release of a brown redeco of Beast Machines Obsidian).

At the time of this wave's release, January 2002, the cartoon was on a sort of hiatus on Fox Kids, airing reruns until new episodes resumed later in February. And the first of these new episodes to air that year was none other than Episode 33, "Maximus Emerges", the episode that finally saw the long-awaited debut of Fortress Maximus's robot mode. And later in May, Transfandom.com started reporting preorders for Hasbro release of the Car Robots Brave Maximus toy as Robots in Disguise Fortress Maximus, which was to have been exclusive to FAO Schwartz stores and certain online retailers like Action Figure Express and Big Bad Toy Store.

The product description from Action Figure Express even specified that it was going to be released in the original Car Robots packaging (suggesting that Hasbro had simply acquired overstock from Takara) and would see release later in August 2002. However, this release did not happen because the G1 Fortress Maximus toy mold (which the Car Robots/RID figure was made from) failed to pass Hasbro's drop tests, and thus did not meet their safety standards at the time.

But, that does not change the fact that Hasbro did originally have every intention of bringing the set over to release in the Robots in Disguise line. And seeing as how the Spychanger toys scaled the best with Maximus's city mode in order to get the most playability out of it...

K5q5nUW.jpeg
If0DXAG.jpeg
qZLHov2.jpeg

...I feel like Hasbro may have wanted some size-appropriate smaller toys of some of the more major characters from the show. Namely, Scourge actually went inside Maximus's shoulder compartment in the show, so a Spychanger-sized toy of him made sense to let kids recreate that scene in toy form.

wo8W74J.jpeg

And if there was going to be a Scourge, it'd then make sense to have an Optimus for him to face off against. Though, the length of his fire truck mode probably made it more practical for his toy to be bigger than the average Spychanger and thus turn into his super robot mode instead of his cab-only normal robot mode. And if Optimus was gonna get a (larger-than-normal) Spychanger-esque toy, why not also Ultra Magnus?

That then just left Scourge's 2-pack companion needing to be figured out, since his toy was normal Spychanger-sized and all normal Spychangers were sold as 2-packs in the mass retail Basic Class at the time (as this was before the single-packed "Spy Changer" releases that would come later as store exclusives). Ultimately, Scourge's companion ended up being X-Brawn, and I think I may have figured out why.

The first wave of Basic Class toys consisted of three 2-packs featuring the six cartoon-character Spychangers from the Car Robots line, but the second wave (preceding the Wave 3 Decepticon Combiner limbs) consisted of two 2-packs featuring four more non-cartoon Spychangers made from molds that had originally been created for the Generation 2 line's assortments of Go-Bots, but were never released until Robots in Disguise in 2001. These four were Daytonus, Side Burn, Prowl 2, and Side Swipe.

GXHW4gy.jpeg

a3YbyTy.jpeg

Since two of these were Spychanger versions of non-Spychanger Autobot Brothers Side Burn and Prowl (I'm not gonna get into the can of worms that is "Prowl 2"; it was likely that Hasbro simply viewed the toy as just Prowl and didn't give a rat's head about anomalous "2" in his name), it would logically stand to reason that a Spychanger version of X-Brawn would be just the thing needed to go with them to complete the trio. Thus, X-Brawn became Scourge's companion piece, fitting the bill for their 2-pack release while simultaneously completing the three Autobot Brothers in Spychanger form.

...But then, as mentioned above, the Brave Maximus import release got canceled. So, this wave of Basic class figures that had been made with the anticipation of interacting with the big city playset toy suddenly no longer had said playset to go with them, and just released as they were anyway since Hasbro had already put the effort into having them made in the first place.

But hey! That's just a theory!

A TOY theory!

Aaaaaaaaaand cut!
Yeah, that's what I always figured, more or less.

Top Bottom