Ranting about quebec: newspark edition!

KidTDragon

Now with hi-res avatar!
Citizen
Sounds like he's trying to secure the boomer vote.

"Too many kids think using English is cool and even more of them won't keep off my lawn!"

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
He can yell at clouds all he wants... when he doesn't have unilateral control of about 8 million people.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright, so it's been a minute, lemme update y'all.

The teachers have a tentative agreement with the government. They've been back to work since christmas. Legault has outlined (to the public.) the details of the new teacher contract: and has been badmouthing those teachers the entire time, and is currently blaming them directly for increasing the deficit.

Yeah. Way to make them feel appreciated, especially after all those appeals to the public "won't someone please think of the children!" (no fooling, he actually said that.).

Which leads me to my next point: the caq will not be the next government. Polling shows them coming in second to the PQ, in a slowly opening race. Seems two mandates were all we could take of avowed former seperatists and now the people want give another chance to... currently practicing seperatists? Stupidity abounds. In response to the polls: the PQ have sworn that first thing they will do in their mandate is... a referendum. The wholly stupid thing is: it's not affecting their polls. The threat alone has been enough enough to turn the PQ in back benchers in their own province: but now the public demands it?

So yeah: that's the future of quebec for the next few years. Legault bitching and failing despite have unilateral control (or, so he thought.), and the PQ screaming and honking for 1998 again. They're going to drive both businesses and individuals out of the province come 2026, they're going to crash the canadian dollar, and it'll be an excuse for EVEN MORE wanton bigotry and racism. Cause the PQ might not like legault, but they agree that there's entirely too much english being spoken on the streets of montreal.

But hey, let's check in on the liberals for a minutes, might be cause to hope.

Nope, still a leaderless batch of used flushable wipes.

Oh well, starting to smell like 1998 in here.

Edit: oh yeah, semi related news.

They're going to spend 1.2 billion in montreal!

Nope: not social housing, social workers, rent relief, or price of food aid. The Big O is getting a NEW ******* ROOF! Yeah, cause tearing it down would cost 2 billion, so they opted to try to fix it... again. Third time they've replaced the roof. Can't wait to see how fast the new one fails.

Last edited:

Anonymous X

Citizen
I thought PQ were almost extinct? *checks recent Quebec opinion polls via Wikipedia* Oh, they’re back yet again, I see.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Oh yeah, well, with four seats in government: they never really went away, just got quiet and ignored.

Related news: amazon will now be tagging quebec made products with a fleur de lys to help quebecers to buy local!

Which is ******* stupid, because I go to THE STORE to buy local shit, which is featured prominently. I use amazon to buy the shit I cannot buy in the province because of the idiotic ******* language laws: likes BOOKS! and Electronics that preferentially start in ******* english.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Oh well, starting to smell like 1998 in here.

In the rest of the country, I'd take 1998 in a heartbeat. Those were the last echoes of Canada's glory days.

That was the year my mother, a single parent not even pulling in $50k/year, bought a 3 bedroom townhouse in the GTA on her own; and paid if off in just under 20 years. Today, people moving onto her street tend to be dual high income childless couples driving luxury cars (albeit, financed over far more than the recommended max of 48-60 months).

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Well, glad that's what you want megsy.

In 1998: I was two year shy of my high school papers, and was being threatened with either deportation, or imprisonment (cause the pequists were demanding concentration camps.) because of my ******* language. I got to literally watch my entire future, my families future, and what little value they had built in this place be threatened by a gaggle of ignorant fuckwits who wanted something that will never ******* work.

Pratt and Whitney (my fathers employers.) were prepping to extract the company and resources from the province. The federal government LITERALLY HELD A ******* WAR GAME to simulate quebec seperation.

But hey the GTA was far enough away, and well enough off that the 8 million people having their citizenship ripped from them didn't bother you at all, cause houses were cheap.

And I get to keep watching them do the same ******* thing. The PQ are currently the front runners for the next mandate in quebec: And do you know what they want to do, very first thing?

Another referendum.

The problems facing the GTA are omnipresent across the country, and some of us have significantly more on our plates besides. So; instead of pining for glory days gone by: you DO something about it? How about it?

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Well, there are worse things to pine for than affordability for all. I could be pining for the days when Canadians only had 1 or 2 sources of news, and lamenting how much easier it was to lie to the country that way. :cautious:

Quebec governments have always been a lost cause. Because they're pandered to, and given everything they ask for on a platter (while spitting in the face of those giving it to them, no less). I don't know why the rest of Canada puts up with it; maybe they think it's cute, like taking care of a feral cat. I've never thought of it as especially cute, or amusing. I find their anti-Anglophone rhetoric distasteful, and the only reason they get away with most of it is because it's all said in French, and nobody outside of Quebec wants to watch French television or news. Hell, most Canadians are blissfully unaware of what goes on in Federal Parliament... are they really going to focus on the internal provincial matters when all our lives are going hell right now?

The only way it's going to change is by punishing the province economically. Businesses need to leave, and mostly importantly people need to leave in droves, and the Federal Government needs to stop pandering to their nonsense. If any other province had instituted some of the backwards-ass laws Quebec has, Trudeau (despite having no sense or morality, no ethics, no convictions and no balls) would've jumped down their throats in a heartbeat. Not because he actually gave a damn ('cuz let's face it, he's a sociopath who cares for nothing but himself), but because he thinks he might be able to trick a few more people into believing he's on their side so they'll vote for him.

When Quebec passes a bigoted law? Crickets. I can hear a pin drop in Ottawa all the way from Toronto. Because he knows that's how he gets their support, and his silence isn't condemned by the masses because (bought and paid for) mainstream media in the rest of Canada reports on only the barest minimum of what the PQ does provincially.

The only thing I can do personally is my bit to punish them economically. I haven't set foot in Quebec in 20 years, and never intend to again. If I'm going to visit another part of Canada, I'll gladly go west. My investments, meagre as they might seem to our overlords, are all directed in exactly the opposite direction of our fake Finance Minister's suggestion to the plebs.

Personally, my long-term plan is to get off this sinking ship and retire somewhere cheap. South America, the Philippines, Sri Lanka. Somewhere I can live a few years and die quietly without any bullshit. Because that's about the best anyone in our generation can hope for. No family, certainly not children unless you don't mind being extra poor, no home ownership, no good standard of living. I no longer believe the damage done to Canada is reparable within our lifetimes, and our only hope of continued existence is relying on the United States for military protection? How ironic, given the way so many Canadians love to look down on it.

And the GTA has plenty more problems than just home prices. Rent is also out of control. A full 10% of the city's residents now rely on foodbanks to feed themselves and their children. International students are being exploited and have been found living in conditions as bad as 25 kids to a single residential basement apartment. Both violent and petty crime are rising to levels not seen in years, car thefts are rampant, and if you're not lucky enough to have a garage you're likely to be missing a catalytic converter when you come out one of these mornings. There's one guy I work with who lives in a townhouse complex with no garages or underground parking, and his Jeep has been stolen twice. He's since installed the immobilizer on it, which apparently can't be overcome at the moment, but even now he'll come out in the morning to find the window broken after somebody's attempt to steal it.

Every dollar the government spends (sorry: borrows, 'cuz there is no actual money anymore, with $1.2 trillion in debt) now is making us all palpably poorer, and there's absolutely no end in sight.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Welp! It's time for the CAQ to take on their next big threat to quebec society: ENGLISH! as written on kitchen appliances.

Yup, they want to make it a legal requirement to have unilingual french on your toaster, stove, microwave, coffee pot and fridge. That fridge is ******* smarter than the caq in it's entirety.

They have unilateral power over the legislature: they could do anything... including securing their futures as employed politicians by solving the ACTUAL PROBLEMS here (like housing, and health care, and poverty.) but NOPE! This is the hill they want to take.

Thankfully, this is just another hill they'll die on. Economics experts both inside the party, and outside and unaffiliated have already weighed in: this is going to ******* back fire, quickly, massively and horribly.

But it's also a completely predictable move by the cat vomit party: they'll scream about this for a while, then drop it like spaghetti sauce over white cloth. Because they know they do not get another mandate, so now it's going to be distractions and hate till 2026. Thankfully, this might hurt the PQ (the estimated to be next mandate holders.) because they'll throw entirely behind this: and it will not happen.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Quebec dropped its budget today!

On it's head, repeatedly... holy shit I feel like I did this joke already.

Oh well, time to laugh at their priorities instead. They added 128 million to help fight wild fires in the province!... and 187 million to fight the decline of the french language. Oh yeah, really taking the whole the climate change thing seriously over here.

Also, the CAQ have added like 6 billion in deficit since they took office. Projecting quebecs deficit to be around 11 billion. So much for letting business men run the province.

Last edited:

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Alright: so, as I was pondering the imponderable while making lunch, and I heard that poilievre had a "campaign style" event recently... which is blatantly illegal right now because there's not even a date set for the next election.

And it occurred to me... he had to. He had no choice, he ******* had to.

Tory political culture, lip service to democratic principles aside, is functionally a barbarian tribe. They're waiting for the next loud mouthed braggart to tell them who the boss is. It's the same reason why they can't push any policy right now: They can't write corporate tax cuts pretty enough to trick the liberals and NDP into voting for it, but they also can't write reasonable policy because it would require cooperating with another political party. If they have to cooperate: they aren't in charge, and the next loud mouthed braggart will attempt to overthrow the current one.

They can only function in a position of ABSOLUTE power because they literally cannot cooperate with anyone else or else the party will consume itself.

They are a political party without a means to politify because they are the opposition. So they have to make grand accusations and hold rallies just to grab any attention at all because they literally cannot do policy. They're BUILT this way, and the only way they can change is to die because there is no way to do the job as they're supposed to because of how extreme the party as a whole has become.

Side note: any political party that can only operate as a majority should not exist.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So they're what we wish the Republicans were: just as obnoxious and uncooperative but utterly impotent because of it instead of managing to get everything they want handed to them by an opposition too cowardly to actually oppose anything.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Minority governments in Canada typically don't last long enough to get much done; and after all this time I think a majority of people are tired of nothing getting accomplished. They're willing to throw caution to the wind and vote Conservative on the off chance that something might improve (some may even be willing to settle for something just happening for a change), even if only by accident. Personally, though, I don't believe Pierre is as bad as Trudeau would have people believe. He's certainly not a Donald Trump (no Canadian politician is, however bad they are), and trying to compare him to Trump only ended up with Trudeau dropping further in the polls. And while there are undesirable further-right elements among the back benchers in the party, it's his job to keep them restrained.

And I'm not going to sit here and pretend that Trudeau doesn't have a litany of personality defects as well, or pretend any longer that he legitimately supports the causes he claims to, because we all know at this point that he's just spewing cynical horseshit to get votes. He talks out of both sides of his mouth on issues like the Israel/Hamas war, trying to secure both the Muslim & Jewish community's votes, but not truly giving a damn either way as long as he gets what he wants.

This latest parliament has only lasted as long as it has because the NDP has propped them up in exchange for false promises. The promise of Universal Nationwide Pharmacare in exchange for the NDP voting with them on supply & confidence votes in order to maintain the confidence of the house. Technically, they had promised the bill would be tabled by the end of 2024. It wasn't, although the NDP continued to prop them up, ostensibly because the NDP leader wants to last long enough so that he qualifies for his golden pension. Remember, the NDP purports to be the party of unionized, working-class people.

The Liberals have drafted a bill Respecting (not implementing, nor laying any groundwork for)... "Pharmacare???". It provides for only 2 drugs (birth control and insulin) that most provinces already have programs in place to provide for those who can't afford them or lack coverage through their employer. Ontario, for instance, already provides birth control for anyone under the age of 25. This bill hasn't yet been tabled for first reading, so it hasn't even begun its journey to being signed into law. If the Liberals actually cared and used every muscle they have left to ram it through each stage, it still wouldn't make it before the next election. Even if it somehow magically did, the bill only requires that they implement the 2-drug program sometime in the 12 months after it's signed into law, which means we're now into 2025 and the Liberals will be lucky if they're still an official party. At least 2 provinces (the two problem children, Alberta & Quebec) have already said they aren't interested, making the Pharmacare neither national nor universal. Not that it was ever going to happen, anyway.

But hey, at least the NDP Leader will qualify for his golden parachute. He'll need it, too.

What they have tabled, though, is a draconian bill that attacks freedom of expression online. Even Margaret Atwood has spoken out strongly out against it, and she should know a few things about draconian governments. Any party that can table such a bill simply cannot be trusted. It shows very clearly what their priorities are.

Last edited:

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Wait, what the heck is this Pharmacare thing? I thought Canada just provided free drugs for everyone all the time.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
No, not at all. Canada's health care system is actually a (not very efficient) mish-mash of public and private coverage. It's also a provincial responsibility, so every province governs health care themselves and has their own unique spin on it.

In my province, our public "Insurance" is called OHIP. In theory, it provides for things like doctors visits and services so that we don't need to pay for appointments, prescription renewals, etc. It also covers pretty much major medical treatments like surgeries, chemo, and whatnot for life-threatening conditions. It covers stuff like x-rays, MRIs, CTs, at least in most circumstances when they're prescribed. It won't pay for elective scans like those fancy new full-body scans, and obviously doesn't cover elective or cosmetic surgeries.

Drug coverage isn't included in that, except (as I mentioned) for young people, through a program called OHIP+. Seniors over 65 also get most of their drugs covered. So there's that gap between 24/25 and 65 in which the vast majority of adult Canadians get drug coverage through a private insurance plan, typically provided by their employer. It also covers other things not covered by the provincial plan, like vision care/glasses, dental care, Orthopedics, massage therapy, chiropractic care, psychiatrists/psychologists, upgraded hopsital room beyond basic, etc.

Anonymous X

Citizen
Wait, what the heck is this Pharmacare thing? I thought Canada just provided free drugs for everyone all the time.
They don’t. Their universal healthcare system is actually rather threadbare when compared to European equivalents.

As far as I’m aware, some provinces have their own programmes for covering medication, but not free or universal.

TM2-Megatron

Citizen
Anonymous is correct. Nearly every European country with nationalized health care has a system vastly superior to Canada and (perhaps most importantly) gets far better value for their money than Canada manages to. If there's one thing Canadian governments excel it, it's pissing away money for no particular purpose. Our current Prime Minister has incurred more debt than every single Prime Minister preceding him, combined. Between 1867 and 2015, we accumulated $500 billion. 2015 to now? An extra $700 billion, and nothing to show for it.

Our current government (in particular) like to boast about how progressive they pretend to be, but in all honesty they could benefit from a few good force-fed mouthfuls of humble pie and adopt some of the best parts of other country's systems.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So you're saying if we somehow managed to pass Medicare For All, we'd actually get to brag about having leap-frogged Canada in terms of how socialized our medicine is?

Top Bottom