PS 3 - PS 5

Tm_Silverclaw

Citizen
I want to see what developers could do with PS2 graphics but modern hardware. Imagine how big those levels could be.

I'll be honest.. I think a lot of Devs actually need to go back to PS2/NGC style of games and tech nowendays. Uprezzing a PS2/NGC texture to 4K still looks pretty darn good, and they could do impressive things with the rest of the overhead instead of JUST worying about graphics, and the cost of game development could go down a bit.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
None of the ps2 FF games were one massive level. They were all quite segmented with load times between maps. Same goes with Dragon Warrior VIII(it was essentially the standard overworld/poi system used by RPG's since the early days of the Ultima franchise). I can't say on the Tomb Raider games, never really could get into that series. Massive maps mean something more like GTA: San Andreas(I think that was the largest single map in any PS2 game).

wentwood

Citizen
Playing Final Fantasy I - IX on PS mini and Final Fantasy X and XII on PS 2 as the games are from the system released.

I tried Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 on PS 3 with the collection released for PS 3 and ran into incapadability issues.

Playing MGS on PS 2 for this reason.

Tomb Raider worked as Under World was released for the PS3.

wentwood

Citizen
System update on PS 3 - 5

Sometimes when a PS 2 game gets listed for digital sales the game might not be compatible as it was made and released on the PS 2.

This is why I have game disks for PS 2 and 3.

So I bought all the hard disks for games I knew I would play long term on PS 2 and 3 first.

I have bought digital games for PS 4 mainly. (Mega Man 9 - 11 and Double Dragon IV.)

wentwood

Citizen
I found my PS 1 flash drives so now I can avoid backwards compadability with those games.

Why are there black bars on the side on the PS mini?

On a PS2 the game is full screen.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Most likely an aspect ratio issue. the PS1 and PS2 were designed with 4:3 televisions in mind. The PS mini was released after most displays had switched to a 16:9 aspect ratio. Only options to properly display the games was to either a: stretch the game to fill the screen, causing image distortion, b: zoom into the image slightly and crop off the top and bottom of the image or c: add black bars to the sides and preserve the image the way it was intended to be seen.

wentwood

Citizen
I have over 500 PS 1 games on blue flash drives for my PS Mini.

The second thing is that you need all 5 PS systems for compatibility due to game software.

Top Bottom