Sailor Moon Discussion

wentwood

Citizen
Who has had a chance to watch either the 90s episodes or Crystal?

BTW I caught Eternal on Netflix. Cosmos is the last movie. Netflix has Sailor Moon Crystal up. Watching Series III of Crystal and am on Sailor Moon R.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
'90s, for sure, many years ago.

Never got to see how the series ends, though, because... you know.

wentwood

Citizen
Viz put out an English Dub for Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.

That was one of the first sets I got officially.

I found out why Sailor Stars never came over. There were issues with one of the Outer Scouts because of bi gender. This was also the case with the Sailor Lights idol group in Sailor Stars. That was a big part of it and Dic didn't think that would be appropriate for the USA. So they ended it with Super S.

Thanks to Viz we can see how the original series actually ended.

I'm looking forward to that as I'm on Sailor Moon R at the moment. Chubi Usa just came in (Episode 60)

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Any other ways to watch that one? Streaming on Netflix, perhaps?
Viz's dub and sub of both the 90s anime and the first three seasons of Crystal (but not the Eternal movies, Netflix has the rights to those) have been up on Hulu since 2014.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I seen the 90s anime and Crystal, plus read the English translated manga, with Crystal, while the show looks nice, it lacks heart, I know its following the manga more closely but it comes across as rather soulless as a adaption, the first season, I felt got into a right mess where they try to add in stuff that never appeared in the manga, then the adaption of the Supers part of the manga, just struck me as kind of rushed as it was crammed into movies instead of given a chance to shine, so to me, there was a clear focus on making it look good but not ensuring that the story felt heartful/impactful, but then I could say similar about the resent adaption of Shaman King, that series suddenly became rushed to cram the whole manga into a 52 ep series, I felt it could of benefited from some more eps

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Viz's dub and sub of both the 90s anime and the first three seasons of Crystal (but not the Eternal movies, Netflix has the rights to those) have been up on Hulu since 2014.
Unfortunately, that does me little good in Canada. 😿

wentwood

Citizen
I started watching 1990s Sailor Moon on a set that's Region Free.

I also picked up

Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars

from Viz first as it got a USA release.

Currently I'm on Episode 60 of 200. (Sailor Moon R)

I also had a chance to see the first movie on the set. All 3 had been included.

I got this set due to full screen.

Once I get to Sailor Moon S these will be the Dic version.

I may at some point get the Viz edition.

This is so I can catch up 90s Sailor Moon.

I will swap to the Viz set when I get to Sailor Stars.

What I do with buying Anime is get the Japanese exclusive episodes first. Sailor Stars finished the 90s series.

wentwood

Citizen
Thanks to Viz will soon be watching Sailor Stars.

Oddly enough Amazon doesn't have any Sailor Moon DVDs up at all. eBay has a few but not from Viz darn it.

Episode 63 (Sailor Moon R)

Unlike Viz these are full screen. Once I get to S these might be the DIc version episodes.

The advantage to my set is I get to watch all 3 movies. The first I saw already. I also get to see the episodes skipped by DIc which is good.

I streamed Eternal on Netflix.

wentwood

Citizen
Sailor Moon releases a final two part movie to close out the Sailor Moon Crystal series and will see Usagi again face Sailor Galaxia.

wentwood

Citizen
To get ready for this I'm watching Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon Sailor Stars which also sees the finale in which Usagi faces Sailor Galaxia.

It will be interesting to see how the relaunch movie handles this final fight.

Kalidor

Supreme System Overlord
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I renamed the thread to make it easier to notice. All Sailor Moon discussion should be posted in here.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
So the opening to Cosmos is up on YouTube. And it's a straight up homage to the Sailor Moon S op sequence! Moonlight Denetsu and all!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
So the opening to Cosmos is up on YouTube. And it's a straight up homage to the Sailor Moon S op sequence! Moonlight Denetsu and all!
I don't know whether to call that lazy and unimaginative, or completely pandering to all the whiners who can't stand anything to be different from the 90s anime.

*shrug* It looks fine, I guess. I was just hoping for another original theme song like the ones we'd gotten before Cosmos.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I mean I get that. A new song would have been cool and all. If anything I'm surprised they went with Moonlight Denetsu rather than the Stars OP. But seeing it with the new animation and obvious homage to the old Op is cool to me.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
If anything I'm surprised they went with Moonlight Denetsu rather than the Stars OP.
Oh, I'm not. If they were going to go back to any of the classic theme songs, it'd definitely be Moonlight Densetsu. To this day, there are still a lot of fans who are still sore about the changeover from Moonlight Densetsu to Sailor Star Song for the final season, calling it an unnecessary change that only added to how "different" and "wrong" the final season felt to them.

But enough about the Sailor Moon equivalent of Geewhiners. 😛

I am still looking forward to seeing Cosmos finally bring the saga of Crystal to its proper conclusion.

Top Bottom