Post Pictures of your Transformers, Let's see 40 years worth of Transformers!

Internet Jesus

Poison Love
Citizen
Another one from my Instagram. Take-Off is one of my very few G1 toys. My aunt who lives in Germany got me Take-Off and I kept him until he got lost in a move (along with a headless/fistless Jr. Optimus Prime, 4/5ths of Abominus, Dragstrip, Carnivac, AM Starscream, Quickswitch, Hosehead, G2 Scavenger...my boys...).

Anyway, I've been planning this custom ever since TR Slugslinger was revealed. It was the chest thingies that got me thinking. Then a few weeks ago, I came across a junker Slugslinger on eBay. It was just the upper torso/cockpit with no fists. Luckily I had an extra Triggerhappy and Highbrow I've always wanted to use for this so I went ahead and got it (for $8), kitbashed this lad together and got a-painting.

I'm so very happy with how he turned out. I still want to detail his wings and vehicle mode a bit, maybe add his vestigial wheels somewhere, but goddamn, he looks gooooooooood. I still need to clean out the lower torso...some adhesive from the masking got stuck there...

HlWJ1oz.jpg

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Another one from my Instagram. Take-Off is one of my very few G1 toys. My aunt who lives in Germany got me Take-Off and I kept him until he got lost in a move (along with a headless/fistless Jr. Optimus Prime, 4/5ths of Abominus, Dragstrip, Carnivac, AM Starscream, Quickswitch, Hosehead, G2 Scavenger...my boys...).

Anyway, I've been planning this custom ever since TR Slugslinger was revealed. It was the chest thingies that got me thinking. Then a few weeks ago, I came across a junker Slugslinger on eBay. It was just the upper torso/cockpit with no fists. Luckily I had an extra Triggerhappy and Highbrow I've always wanted to use for this so I went ahead and got it (for $8), kitbashed this lad together and got a-painting.

I'm so very happy with how he turned out. I still want to detail his wings and vehicle mode a bit, maybe add his vestigial wheels somewhere, but goddamn, he looks gooooooooood. I still need to clean out the lower torso...some adhesive from the masking got stuck there...

This is gorgeous. I have some Slugslinger scraps hanging around (I needed the upper legs to replace another custom), and I'd had it earmarked to be a Doubleheader... but this is tempting to try. Great work!

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I maintain that I am not one for spending money on gap filler kits. They tend to cost too much for what they are and do, and for the most part I'm not bothered by some visible bits like that. But I made an exception in this case.

I recently got a good deal on a Kingdom Magnus (two right missiles -- anyone have a spare left one?), figuring it would do for now while I wait for one with a better altmode. (Who knows when that'll be.) Had trouble getting past the un-unseeable gaps in the shoulder posts, as every time you want to look at him head-on, they're right there, these weirdly hollow posts with shelves in them. And solid shoulder posts have always been part of the Magnus "look" (especially relevant for a figure whose design meant to evoke it so directly)... so this felt like a more justifiable fix than "oh, this random bot's inner forearms have an empty space and some ridges".

In the end I found the Ratchet Operating Studio kit, one of those mass 3D printed clusters of gap fillers making the rounds on ebay and elsewhere, and figured ~$15 was a good price for a few usable pieces (with the rest going to resale to recoup costs). I noticed that upper-leg extensions were part of the kit, as well as a 5mm peg that would allow the rifle to be attached to the back, so it seemed like an even better deal. The leg extensions weren't the priority, but they certainly sweetened the pot.

On the whole it's... All right. These extensions show that there's really only so much to be done with the mold to deal with the legs. They move the mushroom pegs a smidge above where they were, probably because right above the tops of the original upper legs seems like the only other place you could put a mushroom joint slot.

(I assume, at least. I guess it's possible to make something that sandwiches the mushroom joint and fits within the original thigh? Hell, I guess you could just make a new slightly longer upper leg since the lower legs SEEM to disassemble easily enough for a replacement?)

(Obligatory: you do need to shave down the original mushroom pegs a teeny bit to retain the articulation and make the swivel less scary-tight.)

plA4qqg.jpg

As such, now the arms seem a BIT short, mostly due to the short biceps/high elbows. The colors contribute to it as well, with the mostly white boot fronts (Siege had the side walls in blue). Also, the minimal blue on the belt/groin piece (because the hinged bit below needs to be white for unarmored mode) adds to the "the legs start too high up" vibe.

It doesn't look TOO bad, but it reminds me of Dream Huey from some angles.
FJ40ksq.jpg

Unarmored Magnus looks good. With slightly shorter legs due to the lack of big boots, the arm/leg proportion issue is less striking, but still there -- and the head now looks pretty small. On the plus side, the width (brought by his truck front 1:1 being his torso front). no longer makes him look short and dumpy. Thanks to the added height, now he comes across as a stocky powerhouse.

MBg79qK.jpg

The height also helps distribute the armored mode's chunkiness and mass better -- the short legs put the immense backpack too close to the also-chonk legs, which is now less of an issue. Now he can look armored without looking burdened by it.

On the whole, not bad. I wish there were an option to get just these parts, but the price is right (especially if someone more into gap fillers is willing to buy the rest off you). It's quite a bit cheaper than most other options, and I've not heard encouraging things about the pricier kits either.

I may also be overstating the arm/leg proportion situation (thoughts?), as it liekly just takes some getting used to. Mainly, though, I really can't complain about how well the shoulder things turned out; that was worth breaking that self-imposed rule.

rZfsqOo.jpg

Funny enough, I still have the original problem I had with regard to the missiles, but we'll see where we go from here.

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

HlWJ1oz.jpg
Is it based-off of this character?

- https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Take-Off

Anyway, The Ark just landed in Japan, and I noticed Mainframe didn't come with any guns, the poor little lamb...

Autobot Mainframe.png

'

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

Demovere Xeno

HALLELUJAH
Citizen
Legacy Skids rocks. I love him a lot. He’s amazing. View attachment 4183
......Seriously, how did they manage to make him boxier than his G1 toy?
Some No Way Home fun.

8vEg10O.png
Earthrise OP: "Are you going to go into battle looking like a showroom concept truck, or you got your gear?"
Classics OP: *wind vane and smokestacks transform into guns*
Earthrise OP: "......Good."

MorganDfX

Photographer/3H Fan
Citizen
......Seriously, how did they manage to make him boxier than his G1 toy?

Earthrise OP: "Are you going to go into battle looking like a showroom concept truck, or you got your gear?"
Classics OP: *wind vane and smokestacks transform into guns*
Earthrise OP: "......Good."
Who cares if he’s blocky? It’s skids. And he’s finally proportional

Top Bottom