Post Pictures of your Transformers, Let's see 40 years worth of Transformers!

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
I love this pic! Pardon my ignorance though, but what is the significance of the "2000" logo on Ironhide? I get the yellow stripe, and it looks like you've used a sticker set with some other upgrades, but just wondering about the number.
Honestly? I don't know. The sticker set was the "toy accurate" set, even though the actual G1 Ironhide toy didn't have that marking. I'm guessing it's something from the actual Nissan Sunny-Vanette Coach SGL model deco?
I'm not too familiar with that vehicle but it looked like a deco that would have been used at the time it was new.

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
After a little research, I have come to understand that Nissan (Datsun) had several trim packages of the Vanette available in the 70s and 80s (LX, SG, SGL, D, T, GL, etc.). The "2000" designator apparently refers to the model, but I'm not sure how often it was used as a graphic on the actual vehicles. Still, it's kinda cool in an old-school, Diacloney way.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
174_5a435b7ecef55.jpg

Looks like a fair bit of inspiration came from this.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
After a little research, I have come to understand that Nissan (Datsun) had several trim packages of the Vanette available in the 70s and 80s (LX, SG, SGL, D, T, GL, etc.). The "2000" designator apparently refers to the model, but I'm not sure how often it was used as a graphic on the actual vehicles. Still, it's kinda cool in an old-school, Diacloney way.
Danke!

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Oh absolutely.
I've realized my preferred aesthetic for Transformers- or the 84-85 Autobots at least- is cartoon-accurate robot modes but toy or real world accurate decos. The flat Sunbow animation look doesn't work for me in toy form, and I adore decos that match the details of the toys or the IRL vehicles they were based on.

So I'm all over any ToyHax set that gives a vehicle mode IRL details. Doubly so if it's for one the 70s/80s designs the 84-85 guys had.

View attachment 17959

Looks like a fair bit of inspiration came from this.
See? This is just cool to me.
And the thing is it can't be nostalgia. I was born in 1987. The 80s were over by the time I have any meaningful memories. This doesn't remind me of my childhood or anything.
I just think it looks cool af, as the kids say.

TheSupernova

How did we get so dark?
Citizen
I do wish the SS86 vans leaned harder into that vehicle accuracy aesthetic that Earthrise had done.

For all their flaws, the ER vans kinda nailed the "early to mid-80's Japanese van" look (well, the front end and general silhouette) better than the new ones do. I haven't had the draw to put the more vehicle accurate details on SS86 Ironhide because it really isn't hitting that same vibe.

But, going to SS86 was still the cheaper option than buying all the upgrades to make the ER vans work. I'll settle for close enough, here. 😅

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
I do wish the SS86 vans leaned harder into that vehicle accuracy aesthetic that Earthrise had done.

For all their flaws, the ER vans kinda nailed the "early to mid-80's Japanese van" look (well, the front end and general silhouette) better than the new ones do. I haven't had the draw to put the more vehicle accurate details on SS86 Ironhide because it really isn't hitting that same vibe.

But, going to SS86 was still the cheaper option than buying all the upgrades to make the ER vans work. I'll settle for close enough, here. 😅
I agree on the overall "look," but the SS86 van mode isn't bad by any means, and looks the part well enough.

The problem with the ER van is that it had too many issues that just didn't work. The should blocks cutting off the windows, the feet just sticking out, the Cybertronian wheels. I actually like the shield roof, that was the right kind of Diaclone throwback I can get behind. The rest though.... yeesh.

I tried though. I got the set to replace the feet with feet that transformed into a real van back, and while they looked the part they utterly fail to clip together in van mode. So even if the feet no longer stand out like they did... they still don't look good.
And after that swing and miss I just decided to stop trying to make such a flawed mould work and go with the SS86 one. My major issue with it- the flat Sunbow deco- was easily solved with the ToyHax toy-accurate set. So the cost of one set of stickers vs a bunch of third party add-on kits that may not work?

SS86 won.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I'm not a fan of the 86 van mode as it looks terrible with the massive hinge sticking out at the sides, the front windscreen panel never going fully into place, it feels like more attention was given to the robot mode than the van mode, the alt mode feels like a after thought

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
The only thing that really bothers me about the SS86 van is the "nubs" on the top. I get that they are there for Ratchet's ambulance lights, but they look bizarre on Ironhide. Beyond that, I think that the SS86 version does a good job of doing what it is supposed to do. And no feet dangling off the back of van mode is a major plus!

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Only thing I don't like about the SS86 altmode is the lack of a yellow stripe. The dead version has it, but I don't want that version. And I know Toyhax has labels for that, but buying the whole extravagant set for just the stripes isn't worth the cost.

LordGigaIce

words pain, funny man
Citizen
Only thing I don't like about the SS86 altmode is the lack of a yellow stripe. The dead version has it, but I don't want that version. And I know Toyhax has labels for that, but buying the whole extravagant set for just the stripes isn't worth the cost.
Depends on which way you go. The set has stripes for the toy and cartoon accurate looks. The additional stickers outside of the stripes pick out detail like headlights and tail lights, licence plates, etc...

Stuff like that goes very well with the toy-centric set of stickers but I can see how that stuff wouldn't be worth it if you just wanted the cartoon accurate solid yellow stripe.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Minor sticker and paint applications to make the "Rocket Base" that came with Galaxy Shuttle a little bit closer to the original. I like to think of it, the Amazon exclusive Rocket Base set and the latest Skylynx's base mode as complimentary, colour-coded accessories to the main Rocket Base.

Rocket Base - Galaxy Shuttle.png

Rocket Base - Countdown Pilot.png

Rocket Base - Vehicle Mode.png

Rocket Base - Weapons Deployed.png.jpg

Rocket Base - Micromaster Launch Mode.png.jpg

CountdownToy_1.jpg

Top Bottom