Post Pictures of your Transformers, Let's see 40 years worth of Transformers!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
20221225_180151.jpg

I bought a thing this year!

I think I bought this one the day before the whole set went on heavy discount. *sigh*

This one fills a void for me. I wanted the 1996 toy since 1996. I saw it once in stores but that just wasn't the day, and then I never saw it again. Then I heard stories about the fragile Cyberbee gimmick (I still don't what part actually breaks though) so my paranoia kept me from ever buying one on eBay. Then the Kingdom toy showed up and was a weird boxy thing. Then we got a 1996 reissue but it doesn't have the striking black color of the original. Then Buzzworthy brought my Kingdom digibash to life.

This mold isn't so bad in hand. I think the superior colors help.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I know it’s anime accurate, but I’m not really a fan of these new MP seekers. For me, I think it’s the second version.
I like the first and second versions, but the 3rd, anime version, pictured above (in reality, "version 3.0") just doesn't do it for me either. I'm not going to spend even more money on a third version of an already expensive line of 3-6 figures (seekers) just because the designers couldn't get their sh*t together the first time. Experimentation and updates should be left to the smaller, cheaper figures, rather than these so-called "Masterpieces".

Shadewing

Citizen
While I also don't care for the new seekers, I am super impressed by just how far "looking like the animation" has come. He is an engineering masterpiece. And I am totally fine with them using the MP line to realy refine their methods; becuase that trickles down into the regular retail stuff. Its so much easier to go whole hog and scale back, then start small and scale up.

Also I take issue with the whole "didn't get it right the first time." The original MP toys were right the first time, for the time period they were released in. They were still vastly above anything else offered in the brand. But this is all an art form of engineering. As new methods and ideas come about; they can see new ways to better improve on what came before. Unless you're out there driving a Model T; refusing to get a newer Car becuase you don't want to bother with designers that can't get their shit togeather?

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
It’s the ridiculous ballooning of prices that did it for me. I don’t hate the cartoon look but I wouldn’t pay the going rate for them especially when something damn close at a fraction of the cost will be on shelves soon

stuff like achey-breakey knees, disintegrating Hounds and the coronation stuff distribution did not help. Thank you MPM Ironhide, for your unacceptable condition eventually saving me so much money.

Last edited:

Dake

Citizen
I like all the versions of the MP Seekers, but I'm not rebuying all of them. I have Starscream 3.0, Thundercracker 2.0 and Skywarp 1.0. I also have all the old 3P Coneheads based on the modified 1.0 design as well as some others, so I guess variety is the spice of life or something.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I've always wanted to experience the first MP Seeker mold, but I'm on a budget.

I get why they feel they have to go full toon. It was easier for Masterpiece to just be Definitive Modern Update(TM) when the alternative was Classics. Masterpiece prices, even early Masterpiece prices, are just no longer a good deal when Generations is as good as it is. So now Masterpiece is trying to be Definitive Accurate Update(TM), which requires accuracy to something.

Shadewing

Citizen
As with all things, as time moves on what was a pennicle becomes standard, state of the art becomes common place. Your best effort yesterday become mediocre after a few days and you'll have to make a bigger effort next time. Moving forward means realizing whatever achievement is made, will eventually be eclipsed by by the next one and the one after that.

We didn't stop at computers when the first, room fillers were made. We didn't stop phones when the rotorary phone came to be, we didn't stop TV at the tiny black and white screens. Just because we got lap tops, smart phones, and flat screens nowadays doesn't mean that there predacessors weren't all marvelous achievements, doesn't lessen their importantance.

MP-01 is a brick compared to MP-10 and he's dated as well when Earthrise Prime is available; so much of the recent stuff have been dubbed 'mini-masterpeices' by the fandom; that it means the real ones need to continue to be even more amazing. And eventually, those ones will also look dated in 10, 15, 20 years.

Everytime you think you've reached and end point, life moves the goal posts and shows you that you can still go further.

Dake

Citizen
Seeker 1.0 had its detractors, but I still think it was a triumph of its time and remains the cleanest jet former to date.

Seems like you should be able to find the Walmart version fairly reasonably on Ebay if you're patient.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
I hated that first masterpiece seeker mold. It was, IMO, horrible. Finicky, difficult to transform, and not fun to pose or play with.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Another thing about going full toon is that it's a goalpost that doesn't have to move. We can move incrementally closer to it, and our expectations of what's reasonably possible can change, but the goal doesn't change as long as we agree that it is the goal at all. Toon is what it is. They're not going to go back and redraw the cartoon. As long as that's the goal, the only thing that can change is the "what's reasonably possible" part.

Dake

Citizen
I hated that first masterpiece seeker mold. It was, IMO, horrible. Finicky, difficult to transform, and not fun to pose or play with.
See? I never understood the hard to convert thing. Aside from the finger tip popping off, I always found it to be one of the most straight forward of the MPs.

Top Bottom