Personal Canon Thread

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I have an addendum to what I wrote before regarding the first four Marvel UK-original comic stories, particularly what I wrote about "Man of Iron".

I did some further research and discovered a few incongruities with what we're told about when "Man of Iron" is set, which not only cause some problems with where I chose to place that story in the Marvel UK continuity, but which also simply make no sense.

Part 1 of the story opens with a narration box that sets the story "at the end of a long hot summer". Then, Part 2 opens with another narration box that tells us it is now "An Autumn night, clear, cold, and sparkling with stars." Part 1 also takes place during the day and ends with night falling, while Part 2 appears to begin during the same night that ended Part 1. This would suggest Part 1 occurs on the last day of Summer while Part 2 begins on the first day of Autumn. Like I said in my previous post, this would place the story in September, but specifically about a week before the end of September, around the 22nd or 23rd. This poses a conflict with something else we are told in Part 2: When Jazz, uh... "kidnaps" young Sammy Harker (the Autobots' main human ally in this story), he reminds Sammy that the boy is currently "on holiday", meaning he's on a break from school. This appears to be true as the bulk of the story is set across three consecutive days, and during all three of them, Sammy never attends school.

The thing is, Sammy can't be on break from school if the story is set in the latter half of September, because (according to Wikipedia, at least), the academic years for primary schools in England begin during the first week of September, and the first school break doesn't occur until the end of October/beginning of November, around Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night. Of course, any UK members on here are free to correct me if any of this information is incorrect. Here is what Wikipedia said on the matter:
In England and Wales, the academic year usually runs from the first week of September of one year through to the third week of July of the following year, with the time split up into three terms. Each of these is usually divided into halves with a week-long "half-term" break between. Primary (4-11) and secondary (11–16) schools usually follow a 39-week academic year, while further (16+) and higher (18+) educational establishments often have 33 or even 36-week terms, generally with no half-term break. Oxford and Cambridge universities have shorter terms still, usually eight weeks each term.

For English state schools, the year commences the first week of September with a half-term break (one week) at the end of October, and the first term ending the third week of December

England and Wales​

Summer holidays in State schools are usually between five and seven weeks long, starting in mid-late July and ending in early September. Schools have Christmas and Easter holidays, each usually lasting about two weeks. The school year is split up into three sections: Autumn term (between Summer and Christmas); Spring term (between Christmas and Easter); and Summer term (between Easter and the Summer holiday). Roughly half-way through each term, pupils will get one week off school, known as half-term. In the Autumn term, half-term often falls the week of Halloween and close to Bonfire Night.

So, between the three bits of info we're given on when the story is set (end of summer, Autumn, and a school break), something is off. It seems the only way to find a fix for this is to assume that one of these points is less factual than the other two: If we take just the first two points into account, the story would be set in the back half of September. But, as I said before, Sammy is clearly not in school during this story, so the third point seemingly can't be ignored.

Going by just the first and third point, that would place the story earlier, before the first week of September during the final week of summer break (as opposed to the end of the Summer season). This could work, in theory. But, throughout the story, pretty much every human character is shown wearing jackets, coats, sweaters, long pants, long-sleeve shirts, and layers upon layers of clothing, all suggesting that the weather really is chilly and cool, like the caption for Part 2 said about the Autumn night being cold. And when the montage at the very end of the story flashes forward to the next summer, people are seen wearing short sleeves and T-shirts, reflecting the warmer weather accordingly.

So, that leaves the third option of ignoring the ironclad letter of the first point in favor of the latter two, with it being Autumn and during a school holiday. We'd just have to assume that "at the end of a long hot summer" is less literal and actually just means that Summer has already come and gone. If the above information from Wikipedia is correct (again, any UKers on here may chime in), then the Autumn session's half-term break set around Halloween and Guy Fawkes Night would be the perfect time of year for this story to be set. Specifically, it could be set during the little gap of time between Halloween (October 31) and Guy Fawkes Night (November 5), since neither event is so much as hinted as having happened or about to happen in this story. The three days could go anywhere from the 1st to the 4th of November (either November 1-3 or November 2-4).

But then, you're probably wondering, what does any of this have to do with my previous placement of the story during the same stopgap within "The Last Stand" that I placed "The Enemy Within!", "Raiders of the Last Ark", and the flashback portion of "Decepticon Dam-Busters!"? Well, the more I thought about it, the more I not only really didn't like having to place "Man of Iron" in two radically different placements between the US and UK continuities, but I also struggled to believe that (out of all four of those stories) "Man of Iron" could also be set during that same stopgap as the others. It's just such a busier, longer-set story than the events of the other three, each of which only span a day at the most and keep the action close to home for the characters. Whereas "Man of Iron" takes the cast halfway around the world on a longer three-day adventure, with a more explosive and destructive battle between the 'Bots and 'Cons that yields heavy damage to both sides, consequently feeling like so many more resources are expunged during the story.

The Autobots' energy situation on Earth in the four-issue limited series is dire. They are desperate for more energy, and their reserves are practically running on empty. The other three UK stories taking place during that time is already straining believability enough, while "Man of Iron" just feels impossibly too big a story to have also occurred during that time. So then, where am I going to put it? Right after US issue #12 "Prime Time!", which would put it before "Shooting Star!" in the US continuity and before "Christmas Breaker!", "Crisis of Command!", "The Icarus Theory", "Dinobot Hunt!" and then "Shooting Star!" in the UK continuity.

But what about all I said before about why it can't go right before "Christmas Breaker!"? Well, I found something else, too. While it's still true that "Christmas Breaker!" opens with a newspaper dated December 24, 1985 that has an article written about the events of "Prime Time!" (suggesting that those two issues are meant to be close to each other), I found there to be a gap of time that happens later but which, in-universe, doesn't feel like a time gap at all. The majority of "The Icarus Theory" takes place on January 25, a whole month after "Christmas Breaker!". On that same day, Optimus checks in on Ratchet repairing Bumblebee from the injuries he sustained during the preceding story "Crisis of Command!" Both Optimus and Bumblebee act as if the events of that story just happened very recently, as if it was just the other day that Bumblebee got injured. If that's the case, then that means there's about a whole month-long gap of time between "Christmas Breaker!" and "Crisis of Command!", despite the former containing some story bits that foreshadow the events of the latter, which, when read back-to-back, make "Crisis of Command!" feel like it comes shortly after "Christmas Breaker!", not a whole month after. And yet, the dates in both "Christmas Breaker!" and "The Icarus Theory" say otherwise.

So, if there can be that long of a gap between "Christmas Breaker!" and "Crisis of Command!", then perhaps there could be a similar gap between "Prime Time!" and "Christmas Breaker!" after all, in which "Man of Iron" could slot in and be set at the beginning of November. As for the newspaper article, perhaps the news coverage of the events of "Prime Time!" was an ongoing thing, with multiple stories being written about it for several weeks after it happened. The specific article in the Christmas story was also said to be an interview with Ferdy and Gabe, two of G.B. Blackrock's employees that were among the workers held captive by Shockwave. Maybe the interview simply took that long to get underway, delaying the article's completion and publication. Maybe the two were first taken in by the Army or Triple-I and questioned by them before being released to public and interviewed by the press. Either way, the events covered by the newspaper article don't necessarily have to be as recent as I'd previously believed.

What's more, the sudden outrage that the Autobots feel with Optimus at the start of "Crisis of Command!" would now have more context in light of Optimus's callous decision to order Jazz to destroy the buried Autobot vessel at the end of "Man of Iron", when the Autobots could have salvaged any resources from that ship for them to use in their war with the Decepticons, instead of Optimus simply having the ship destroyed. Prowl and Bluestreak grumbling to themselves in "Christmas Breaker!" about how Optimus has been acting "strange" lately would also have more context from that decision in "Man of Iron", since that decision always felt strangely out of character for Optimus.

So in the end, I'm more comfortable with placing "Man of Iron" right after "Prime Time!" in both the US and UK continuities. While this would instead set "Man of Iron" during the Autumn of 1985 instead of 1984, the story was originally published in January 1985, so it's at least still within the same year it was originally published. Consequently, we now have the following reading order for all of these issues (US issues in normal text, UK issues in Italics):

"The Transformers"
"Power Play!"
"Prisoner of War!"
"The Last Stand" Pages 1-8
"The Enemy Within!"
"Raiders of the Last Ark"
"Decepticon Dam-Busters!" flashback story
"The Last Stand" Pages 9-22
"The New Order"
"The Worse of Two Evils!"
"Warrior School!"
"Repeat Performance!"
"Decepticon Dam-Busters!" present-day wraparound story
"The Wrath of Guardian!"
"The Wrath of Grimlock!"

"DIS-Integrated Circuits!"
"The Next Best Thing to Being There!"
"Brainstorm!"
"Prime Time!"
"Man of Iron"
"Christmas Breaker!"
"Crisis of Command!"
"The Icarus Theory"
"Dinobot Hunt!"

"Shooting Star!"
"Rock and Roll-Out!"

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Who's up for another round of "Where can this fit in the Marvel G1 comics?"?

This time, I'm taking a look at the four Marvel UK Nebulos stories that all take place somewhere during the four-issue Marvel US Headmasters mini-series. These are three "Headmasters Saga" prose stories from the 1987 annual: "Doomsday for Nebulos", "Stylor's Story", and "The Final Conflict". As well as the standalone comic story "Worlds Apart!" Of note is that all four of these UK stories were published before the first issue of US mini-series had been first published in full in the UK, so these four stories always felt a little awkward with the US mini-series. Nonetheless, each of them (like the first four Marvel UK stories that I've already gone over) was still intended to take place at some point during the events of the US issues.

---

"Doomsday for Nebulos" is basically an extended adaptation of the first meeting of Lord Zarak and his followers with Scorponok and his Decepticons, which was seen in the second issue of the US Headmasters mini, "Broken Glass!". With "Doomsday" adding so much more detail to this meeting than how it went down in "Broken Glass!", one can have their cake and eat it too by simply considering the shorter single-page version of these events seen in "Broken Glass!" as an abridged, summarized version of the meeting, with "Doomsday for Nebulos" being the full, true version of the meeting, as nothing of value is lost by writing off the "Broken Glass!" version of the meeting as the less literal of two. So, the way to fit "Doomsday for Nebulos" would be the read all of "Broken Glass!" up to the page with this meeting (Page 11), then stop reading "Broken Glass!" and read "Doomsday for Nebulos", and then resume reading the rest of "Broken Glass!".

---

Next comes "Stylor's Story", which is another expanded retelling of events from the Headmasters mini. "Stylor's Story" recounts the final events of "Broken Glass!" from the point-of-view of Stylor, the Nebulan who would become binary-bonded to the Autobot Chromedome. Basically, the whole second half of "Broken Glass!" from the first page after the aforementioned Zarak/Scorponok meeting, all the way to the very end of the issue, is recounted by Stylor in this story. And any minor oddities that may exist between the two can be chalked up to Stylor embellishing some of the details in his version of the events, as he's telling the story in the style of a charismatic salesman. so, the way to fit "Stylor's Story" would be to simply read it immediately after the end of "Broken Glass!".

---

Then we get to "The Final Conflict", which is the first of these UK Nebulos stories to be a mostly original story instead of adapting events from the Headmasters mini. Notably, three of the Decepticon Targetmasters appear in this story, when Misfire, Slugslinger, and Triggerhappy didn't first become Targetmasters until near the very end of the fourth US Headmasters issue "Brothers in Armor!!". And when they do, the Autobot Headmasters are all captives of Zarak and the Decepticons. They aren't freed and don't escape until the next scene after, which is then followed by the Autobots deciding to leave Nebulos and head for Earth on the issue's second-to-last page. The final page then sees their departure from the planet, as well as Zarak's Decepticons giving chase aboard Scorponok's ship.

There is so very little time for "The Final Conflict" to slot into "Brothers in Armor!!". The only place it could possibly fit in is between those final two pages. The penultimate page seen Galen give the order for the Autobots to prepare for immediate departure from the planet, and "The Final Conflict" begins with preparations already being underway. A few more matters are taken care of before they leave, and then Scorponok comes in with his duel challenge to Fortress Maximus that turns out to be a distraction while the Decepticon Targetmasters steal a fuel converter that Brainstorm and Arcana had made, one that would enable the Decepticons to leave Nebulos and to Earth themselves.

Two more things to note:
  • First, unlike the previous two stories, "The Final Conflict" is not a single body of prose, but rather has a main story and separate Epilogue that seems to be set some days later. So there's an extra gap of time in this story between its main part and its Epilogue. Though, I'd still place this epilogue, too, before the final page of "Brothers in Armor!!", as it seems to take place immediately before the Autobots finally take off from Nebulos.
  • And secondly, in all three of these UK stories, Galen is inexplicably referred to as "Kord" instead. The letters page for Issue #158 simply wrote this off as a total error, so we just have to imagine that he's still named "Galen" in these three stories.
---

Finally, we get "Worlds Apart!", the most awkward-fitting one of all. This one basically can only fit in the exact same place as "The Final Conflict" due to the Targetmasters' appearances alongside the Headmasters in this story. The Autobot Targetmasters were first created in "Brothers in Armor!!" when the Autobot Headmasters were still in Decepticon custody, and like I said before, the Autobot Headmasters don't escape their captivity until right before the end of the issue, which leads immediately to their plans for departure. "Worlds Apart!" can't go anywhere other but the same stopgap used by "The Final Conflict". The question then becomes how "Worlds Apart!" and "The Final Conflict" can fit with each other.

"The Final Conflict" begins with the Autobots having already begun their plans for departure, and ends with them all ready to go. But "Worlds Apart!" is a standalone story with no signs of either faction planning to leave Nebulos. Yet, because of the Autobot Headmasters not being captured and the Autobot Targetmasters existing, "Worlds Apart!" has nowhere else to go. It needs to fit in or around "The Final Conflict" some way somehow. This is where I return attention to the Epilogue of "The Final Conflict" being set some time after its main story, which creates a gap of time in which "Worlds Apart!" could actually slot right into.

It's still not a perfect fit, though, as "Worlds Apart!" has the Decepticon in ownership of a "notorious Fortress of Despair", something that feels quite at odds with their having used Zarak's various facilities as their bases of operation. Coupled with Zarak's resources and influence, the Decepticons would have had no need an additional fortress of their own. My rationale for this is that the Fortress of Despair could have been built by the other Decepticons in Scorponok's crew besides the Headmasters and Targetmasters, like the Terrorcons and the Duocons, who weren't seen at any of Zarak's bases. These other guys could have built the fortress and been stationed at it while still under Scorponok's command.

And it's not entirely impossible for this to have happened off-panel between issues, since it is stated by Zarak in "Brothers in Armor!!" that the Autobots first came to Nebulos "some months ago", but when reading all four US Headmasters issue back-to-back it does not feel like "months" have passed. So this implies that more adventures may very well have happened between issues. Specifically, the fortress could have been constructed off-panel during the time of issue 3, before the Decepticons had actually formalized their alliance with Zarak. They'd still be using Zarak's industrial complex as a temporary base, but would have had the fortress built to serve as their own base before deciding to fully team up with Zarak. And those not binary-bonded to Nebulans could have continued to operate from the fortress (and were simply elsewhere, out in the field, away from the fortress during the events of "Worlds Apart!").

---

So then, this is the final resulting chronology of the Marvel Headmaster saga on Nebulos:

"Ring of Hate!"
"Broken Glass!" pages 1-11
"Doomsday for Nebulos"
"Broken Glass!" pages 12-22
"Stylor's Story"
"Love and Steel!"
"Brothers in Armor!!" pages 1-21
"The Final Conflict" pre-Epilogue
"Worlds Apart!"
"The Final Conflict" Epilogue

"Brothers in Armor!!" page 22

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Please don't take this as an indication that this is unwelcome here, but... Have you considered a blog
I know what you are saying about that. His stories are very robust and deserve to be expanded on. I've really enjoyed reading them.

I've honestly thought about a blog myself with my Gizmo-verse. I know most people would be "Whatever dude" with my silly storyline, but some people might enjoy it and I know I would enjoy trying to get it all out of my head and into writing.

lastmaximal

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't dispute any of that. And I do respect the amount of thougt that goes into considering so many narrative elements and factors; this amounts to literary analysis and that's fun in itself. I'm just a bit weary of the walls of "was this too long for the TFWiki notes section" material. But i suppose, as much as anything, that's probably an indicator that I'm just not the audience for this sort of thing. Or this much of it. But I'm far from the only rabbit in need of a rabbit hole, and this might just fit the bill for others. So I'll stop talking about it.

I'd love to read that storyline, Gizmoboy.

Top Bottom