Not my cabbages! - Avatar: The Last Airbender / The Legend of Korra Thread

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Finishing up Shadow and Bone season 2 and their magic users also use elements. Wind, ice, fire, water, metal. Also sun summoners and heartrenders.

The intense fights they have (when they have them anyway) would make for a good basis for the live action Avatar.

They even have different cultural nations. Yeeeeah, probably very inspired by Avatar. Maybe.

Cybersnark

Citizen

It actually looks decent, though Zuko's scar is still too subtle (at least it doesn't just look like a mild black eye this time).

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
This was posted two weeks ago but not shared here:

And this was posted today:

I think, like Netflix One Piece, this series is in good hands who know what they're doing.

Shadhausen

Citizen
I don't know, I've heard they've dialed back Sokka's early sexism which make me worried for his character arc.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I don't know, I've heard they've dialed back Sokka's early sexism which make me worried for his character arc.
Considering there's only eight episodes for Book 1 this time, he may not have as much time to grow as he did in the original Book 1's 20 episodes.

Axaday

Citizen
It isn't the cartoon without cartoonists. It is the story done again. He doesn't have to have that arc. As dazzling as the visuals may be, this should not be done unless it has something new to say.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
In the behind-the-scenes video I posted six posts above, Sokka's actor said that his main character arc in this show is learning that you don't need to be a warrior in order to be a hero.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
About half through the season. So far not bad. I feel like most are going to hate on it just for not being the cartoon and losing the cartoonish charm it had, but while I can understand the sentiment, you can't expect everything to be translated one to one. What's the point of redoing everything just as it was.

The hour long episodes are giving them enough time to flesh out characters enough so we aren't speeding too fast through the story. That said some things are skipped, some are blended together, and some things are mentioned that shouldn't be until book 2 in the original series. Most of the skipped things are just things that would honestly be too outlandish for live action or much too weird. But it does kill early Aang's happy go lucky attitude a bit sooner and it's sad that we don't see much of it.

But honestly my biggest issues is the effects and greenscreen blending. There are times where it's just so obvious that it's distracting. And admittedly the acting isn't always the best. Sometimes the lines just come out a bit wooden. But I feel that could be a direction problem more than the actors considering it hits everyone.

That said, if you are actually willing to give it a chance, I feel it isn't a bad adaption. It's needing some work still but we've seen what could be worse before. It's doing a good job of adapting what works and not rushing the story. Trying to push it into a movie was never going to work, but this like the One Piece adaption is trying to be faithful to the original while making it work in the real world.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I've seen three eps and it's been pretty good.

The first ep is a little traumatic.
Second ep... no comment.
Third ep, holy cow I was disappointed with the title since it gave me expectations but still good.

Sokka looks too serious and angry.
Katara has to run convincingly. I don't feel any urgency when she's running. Like she's just jogging instead of 'matter of life and death' sprinting.

Some people look so spot on. Some folks, I miss the sharpened features of the toons.

Hey, in ep3, is the physics correct during the jumping part near the end?

Axaday

Citizen
Do 8 episodes align with the whole first season of the cartoon or is the number of seasons here open-ended?

Shadhausen

Citizen
Yeah, nothing I've heard about the new show really appeals to me so I think if I ever want to revisit the show I'll just rewatch the original.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
I'm up to ep6. Some episodes mixed together were ok, except when they take stuff from later seasons (like the tunnels and the spirits).

I love that they used some moves from the Bumi vs Aang cartoon fight. Same with the Blue Spirit escape.

Top Bottom