Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
So despite all our efforts to avoid starting World War III, he's determined to do it anyway just out of spite.

Ironbite4

Citizen
And following this announcement, there ain't a seat on a plane to be seen out of Russia.

Ironbite-ain't nobody wants to die in Ukraine.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
So despite all our efforts to avoid starting World War III, he's determined to do it anyway just out of spite.

I'll be honest here. Much like with the lunatics in my own country, at this point I'm so run down and dead to it all I just want to get this shindig started so it can be over with already.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Making too many problems...

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
Oh no, Russia's getting mad at the UN. I sure hope they don't do something rash like voluntarily pull out of the Security Council. Then we'd be free to make even more decisions that they don't like.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Russia is all flavours of stupid right now, but they aren't THAT stupid. They'll give up their security council seat and permanent veto power when the dead walk the earth.

NovaSaber

Citizen
They shouldn't have it in the first place. It was never actually voted on, they just claim to be the USSR's "main" successor state by virtue of...being the largest and having the nukes, I guess.

Which is really weird given that, even if it was only for a few days, Russia and a USSR that no longer included it existed at the same time.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
It's the UN; NO ONE SHOULD HAVE PERMANENT ANYTHING. Giving a select set of nations MORE power over all the other member nations literally defies the point of the ******* UN.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
No, the Security Council is meant to be the enforcers of the UN in so far as they are the most powerful nations on the planet. Their resolutions stick because they're the ones lifting the lion's share of the load.

But as Ukraine has demonstrated, Russia possesses neither the means nor the motivations to enforce UN policy. If for no other reason, they should be removed from the Security Council and replaced with a nation which has a military capable of sustaining itself and supporting UN actions.

Cyoti

Citizen
It's the UN; NO ONE SHOULD HAVE PERMANENT ANYTHING. Giving a select set of nations MORE power over all the other member nations literally defies the point of the ******* UN.
The point was to give these powers a stake in the UN and a guarantee that it couldn't be used against them while their future participation gave the UN legitimacy. France with the vestiges of their Empire and a desire to be the third pole in the Cold War and the USSR with their influence in the Middle East/Africa/Asia could done their own thing and formed their own intergovernmental organization, which would have damaged the credibility of the UN as a global forum and made it a club dominated by America, its European allies and the various countries that they had influence over.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Given Russia's current status in Ukraine, the real question is how many Russian officers are gonna have unfortunate window-related accidents?

Top Bottom