Nobody has the intention to invade Ukraine

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Musk is an asshat. All he's looking for is attention. Ignoring him takes away a lot of his alleged power.

Putin, on the other hand, is old and crazy. I can see someone with his ego saying he'll take the world to the grave with him. I sincerely hope there's someone in the Russian military hierarchy that values their children enough to not push the button when the command comes down.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Quite frankly... survival trumps a lot of things, including nationalism... usually.

Here's the thing; if they've been paying ANY kind of attention at all: the guy who's the weak link in the chain and most likely to stop putin nuking someone... might let him do it anyway. The resulting coalition of armies that walk all over russia is also most likely to disassemble the existing industries and institutions in the hopes of preventing this russia from happening again. That weak links kids will probably be better off after just one nuke than they are under a russian oligarchy.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Nice to see China's leadership having a broken clock moment. Though even they know once nukes fly, it affects EVERYONE. You can't use nukes and keep a conflict localized.

Cyoti

Citizen
Nice to see China's leadership having a broken clock moment. Though even they know once nukes fly, it affects EVERYONE. You can't use nukes and keep a conflict localized.
More likely they realize it creates a dangerous precedent if a nuclear power that's losing on the battlefield can just threaten everyone with nukes for an automatic win. That basically guarantees Taiwan/Japan/South Korea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_latency) potentially going for nuclear weapons as blackmail and insurance against Chinese military action.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
But let's be clear here: that's all M.A.D. actually is. The entire world gambling on the other guy holding to "don't start nuthin', won't be nuthin'" and it can't actually hold with the stepping up of religious fanaticism and actual ******* fascism.

When the soviet union fell, the world heaved a sigh of relief at the fact that the cold war was OVER. Nice to know the boomers actually left their grandkids something after all; and since they didn't leave a functional government, healthy environment or hope for the future: I guess the ongoing threat of nuclear annihilation is a wonderful runner up prize.

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
More likely they realize it creates a dangerous precedent if a nuclear power that's losing on the battlefield can just threaten everyone with nukes for an automatic win. That basically guarantees Taiwan/Japan/South Korea (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_latency) potentially going for nuclear weapons as blackmail and insurance against Chinese military action.
Either way, China actually stepping back from Putin and saying "we're not with this guy" shows just how much support he's lost.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I just checked the nuclear clock: sadly it seems they only update it once a year because it's still at 100 seconds to midnight. And the last dated update was january.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I keep hearing repeat the refrain, but there's shock and surprise as they give the new number and then play faster.

I imagine as it gets worse, they'll just be screaming randomly at three times tempo, followed by the sounds of chaos as they simply drops the instruments and run.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
See, Putin is ex-KGB. He understands poison, balconies, propaganda and hidden bombs, he doesn't quite get military tactics. It's his kryptonite.

Rust

Slightly Off
Citizen
Not according to him, if the reports of his micromanagement of the Ukranian offensive are to be believed.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
report of micromanaging? Putin declared himself marshal of the ukrainian theater. He's not micromanaging, he's ******* KARENING the military.

Cyoti

Citizen
See, Putin is ex-KGB. He understands poison, balconies, propaganda and hidden bombs, he doesn't quite get military tactics. It's his kryptonite.
He is not that sort of agent. He was a caseworker as in a bureaucrat/paperpusher operating in Dresden, most of the action was in Berlin and West Germany apparently and charitably he was maybe cultivating assets to obtain publicly availabe information like military training manuals. Uncharitably he was just making dossiers of news clippings (that were all later burned with the fall of the GDR) and trying to get the Red Army Faction to steal Western car steroes for him.

Last edited:

Covert Agent Rodimal

Citizen
Sometimes I think we need to remind these people when they talk about the use of WMDs that (for good or ill) we're the only ones that have actually ever pulled the trigger.

Top Bottom