Ninja Turtles - Cowabunga!

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Honestly if it’s the same arcade as the one that’s sitting in my local mall the last few years, it’s probably best to wait for this one to go on sale. It is such a waste compared to any of the older Turtles arcade beat ‘em ups. They would have to add a lot more in to get me to jump on this one.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
$30? Yeah, I'll be getting it. Never played it before, so I don't know what to expect. But "TMNT arcade brawler" is enough to pique my interest.
Be careful on that one. There was a Wii/360 game from Activision back then that was basically that style of game based on this iteration, and it was hot garbage.

Here's a good review of it I managed to find:

And if you collect Nintendo Force magazine, I reviewed it there back when it came out.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
Oh, I know not all TMNT brawlers are good. I had TMNT Arcade Attack on the DS and it was borderline unplayable and the graphics were trash.

Still, as stupid as it may be, it's hard to resist something with the TMNT label, even when I know it's garbage. I mean, I own the Bay movies after all.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'm kinda "meh" about this latest acquisition.

IMG_3018.jpeg

Honestly I don't care so much since I'm just going to throw it away, but I know there are collectors who would want to keep their stuff mint-on-card. So to those people I have to say, don't buy from Amazon!

IMG_3019.jpeg

The turtle himself looks nice and feels sturdy. But those pauldrons and wrist guard are loose as hell. Both halves of the sword separated are thin and flimsy as hell as well And don't really fit well in Leo's hands. There's only one place to store a sword on the back.one half of the sword fits alright, but leaves the other half without a place to be held.

The combined sword is a tight fit for storage but it works. It also fits Leo's hand better a d is definitely less flimsy. But with all the times I see Leo as a dual wielder, it just doesn't feel right.

Also, I guess the chest plate and sword halves are meant to be the MotU part of this crossover. But the chest plate wouldn't be completely out of place on some strictly TMMT toys I've seen and the sword looks different enough from He-Man's sword as to barely homage it at al. Point being, in this toy crossover between two franchises, I see almost all of one and very little of the other. Which I guess that's okay since I'm a rabid Turtles fan and only a fair weather fan of MotU. But still.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
vwvr6o28lbsc1.png

So Pixel Dan was able to get in contact with Playmates PR and snagged a higher resolution image of these Remastered TMNT.

That skin texture is ... well it sure is SOMETHING.

Also Leo and Donnie's heads are flipped.

Playmates cockblocked Super7 for this?!

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Honestly I don't care so much since I'm just going to throw it away, but I know there are collectors who would want to keep their stuff mint-on-card. So to those people I have to say, don't buy from Amazon!

Also, I guess the chest plate and sword halves are meant to be the MotU part of this crossover. But the chest plate wouldn't be completely out of place on some strictly TMMT toys I've seen and the sword looks different enough from He-Man's sword as to barely homage it at al. Point being, in this toy crossover between two franchises, I see almost all of one and very little of the other. Which I guess that's okay since I'm a rabid Turtles fan and only a fair weather fan of MotU. But still.
Yeah, for some reason, Amazon has a BIG issues with the elongated card backs for MOTU Origins (the style was carried over to ToG). But, for openers like me, it has opened up some great deals.
I've been getting them from the Amazon Warehouse for $3-5 below going rate. The only issue has been the packaging, which is why, I assume, they were returned to begin with. Though, I think my Man At Arms was returned partly due to being the international flavor, not the domestic one.

I will say that Leo is the "least" interesting of the all the ToG line. I see what they were going for (the classic He-Man chest armor, the split sword is a carryover from old lore as well), but I agree Leo isn't terribly compelling on his own. Though, I argue the point wasn't to "Turtles cosplay as MOTU", and more "Turtles integrated into the MOTU universe".
The line has been my biggest joy this year. With so much oriented towards remaking old stuff to sell to us old farts, the creativity (Mikey's wig is a fantastic detail, and the revamped Merman is just AMAZING) this line has been a tremendous breath of fresh air.

What did they block?
After Super7's line started, Playmates decided to throw some weight around and made a huge fuss about the Ultimates line using details originating from the original toys. The release of Rat King was a famous example of a figure getting delayed a wave to make changes to pacify Playmates. I'm sure there is more to the issue than that, but I'm not overly familiar with the issue.

Though, considering the sheer number of licenses on the brand (Playmates, NECA, Super7, Loyal Subjects, plus crossover licenses for Hasbro and Mattel), there's a LOT of "splicensing" going on, and I think there's an inevitability of toes being stepped on. I think Playmates went after Super7 explicitly because of the strong vintage toy connection.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Huh, I always wondered what sort of arrangement they had. Didn't expect the answer to be "they don't."

...and what's this "Amazon Warehouse" you speak of?

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Huh, I always wondered what sort of arrangement they had. Didn't expect the answer to be "they don't."

...and what's this "Amazon Warehouse" you speak of?
A general observation of mine is that it appears that Playmates starting to fuss about Ultimates right about the time Rise completely bombed and reissues became a more significant part of their product line up.

Amazon Warehouse is Amazon’s “outlet” venue. It appears as an individual seller, but seems to specialize in “used items” (which, for me, seem to have been returns due to unsatisfactory delivery condition). When you see a listing for “used condition” items, it’s typically from the Amazon Warehouse. Discount is variable, I’ve seen it vary on items I’ve ended up purchasing from as little as $0.90 to a couple dollars, depending on what the “current base price of new” is at the moment. For reference, since the line launched earlier this year, Turtles of Grayskull figure prices have varied on Amazon from 19.99 to 21.99 (Not factoring in 3rd Party sellers)
For example, my ToG Man at Arms was $18 and change, shipped (with Prime) in “Good Condition” (Base Price was around 20.99, IIRC). It ended up being in better condition than my ToG Donny which had the same rating (And about 50 cents cheaper).
But again, the issue comes down to you never know when or how much it will be. Though, I DO see a LOT of the MOTU Origins and adjacent lines being tagged as “Frequent Returns”, like due to the shipping concerns Caldwin can attest to.

ALSO, Amazon has a coupon for $2-ish off wave 1 Turtles of Grayskull figures

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Neat. Where do I find the Amazon Warehouse stuff?
On the app, it’s under your profile in the “deals” tab. On the site, I just did a search for it and got this link:

If you don’t want to fuss with that, just go to your preferred item. If they have a used/Warehouse stock, it will appear under the normal purchase tab in grey (again, make sure the seller is “Amazon Warehouse” and not someone else. Not likely to be an issue with toys, but certainly with electronics) and also in “Other Sellers”.

Again, deals are variable. Relevant to this thread was my purchase of the BST AXN Best of Raphael box set for just over $20, shipped (granted, the holidays might have been a factor). But then I see Best of Super Shredder getting a paltry $3 markdown from MSRP.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
On the subject of BST AXN, start checking your Walmarts. Remember, YMMV with Walmart, as a general rule…
But at mine, they are still doing “Spring Cleaning” and the yellow tags have started to crop up in the “Collectibles” area in Electronics. I found the BST AXN comic packs (Best of Mikey and Shredder in Hell were all mine had) marked down to $10, while the “desaturated”/B&W IDW 4 pack was down to $25

Top Bottom