MPG - new Japanese Transformers series

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
How do you mean?
The official MP looks like a CHUG figure to me, but it's priced as an MP figure.

The current 3P MP line more like an MP figure (in terms of quality, paint, lack of kibble and proportions) but it's priced far cheaper.

Darth_Prime

Citizen
Doesn’t seem that “giant”.

Attachments

• FA2B310C-B3DB-4F3A-9A4F-90A79E463909.jpeg
    FA2B310C-B3DB-4F3A-9A4F-90A79E463909.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 83

Powered Convoy

Randy
Citizen
Size was estimated as not being too large based on the silhouette. 12 inches is smaller than I would like, but not at the sake of making huge components like the unofficial one that is in development.

Dake

Citizen
Wait, is this suggesting the combined mode will be under 12"? I'd be surprised if any regular CSR would have that information. I'd assume they were saying the individual figure (Shouki - the only one announced so far) is 11 and change inches. Though that may be "product dimension" which could just as easily be train mode or track length.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't Devestator or at least Predaking-sized.

Last edited:

mx-01 archon

Citizen
Provided the silhouette isn't skewed in some way, calculations are looking such that a ~30cm combined mode is accurate.

The individual robots should only be Ironhide/Starscream height.

Compared to the 3P version, they've just chosen to scale these differently. They've gone for accurate robot heights, while managing to fit them into the most popular model train scale in Japan.

3P goes for Combiner height instead, with way larger (but toy-styled, somewhat stumpy) train modes.

Last edited:

mx-01 archon

Citizen
If that's the case that just takes the pricing from high to outrageous.
Unlike the 3P versions, TakaraTomy needs to pay licensing fees.

I'm hearing that the MP Trains are actually priced quite similarly to high end model trains?

Just a big difference in target audience, is all.

Also note that the Japanese had no qualms dropping ~1200 USD on the Metal Structure Nu Gundam. That was a 13" figure, with diecast, but with no transformation mechanisms to speak of. Not only did that have no troubles selling, it sold out instantly, once pre-orders opened. By contrast, this will cost roughly the same, for a similarly-sized robot (slightly shorter, but quite a bit chunkier), split into 6 payments over ~2 years, and you get six individual robots or some nifty model trains out of the deal as well.

Just a matter of perspective.

It just remains to be seen if the MPG line continues beyond the Train-bots, and how the price structure will work out there. Constructicons should be about the same individual size, but I don't believe they require licensing. And Devastator's combination method is a bit more set in stone, compared to Raiden here where they seem to be going slightly more experimental in favour of the alt-modes, so a hypothetical Masterpiece shouldn't end up too divorced from the Combiner Wars figure's scale. Maybe only slightly shorter because that figure turned out kinda lanky.

jamarmiller

Citizen
if the 30cm height is correct, that will mean it fits into my kids chug collection , which means its perfect size for them. the price is crazy , way to expensive but if the 30cm height is correct, then i am buying two for my two kids .

but this is going to take 2 years to complete? arghhh , hope i dont forget about it

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Doesn’t seem that “giant”.
Yup. I was chatting with the OP about that yesterday. If true, it might confirm that this toy is more CHUG than MP?

Wait, is this suggesting the combined mode will be under 12"? I'd be surprised if any regular CSR would have that information. I'd assume they were saying the individual figure (Shouki - the only one announced so far) is 11 and change inches. Though that may be "product dimension" which could just as easily be train mode or track length.

I'd be surprised if this wasn't Devestator or at least Predaking-sized.
I asked them about that, and they stated that they checked, several times with Takara Tomy on the phone, and they stated it was for the combined mode.

mx-01 archon

Citizen
Yup. I was chatting with the OP about that yesterday. If true, it might confirm that this toy is more CHUG than MP?

It's only "CHUG" if you prioritize the combined mode scale. Alt-mode finish and individual robot scale are very firmly Masterpiece.

It's impossible to hit all three bullet points at once.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's only "CHUG" if you prioritize the combined mode scale. Alt-mode finish and individual robot scale are very firmly Masterpiece.

It's impossible to hit all three bullet points at once.
I'm not so sure. The 3P version, to me, looks more "MP" than the the official. The official bot mode looks CHUG to me.

mx-01 archon

Citizen
I'm not so sure. The 3P version, to me, looks more "MP" than the the official. The official bot mode looks CHUG to me.

On what grounds are you basing this on? The official has a realistic train mode, with a lot of care taken to give it very minimal panel breaks, in order to appeal to the scale train crowd. The 3P version uses stumpy/truncated trains based on the original toy proportions, and covered in panel breaks and obvious hinges.

The MP robot mode is based heavily on the original lineart, including the large boots, hands, and forearms, with the kibble "cape". The 3P version doesn't look like the cartoon art at all, with more "normal" proportions (but overall kinda chunky in an AEC kinda way, as all Zeta figures have been).

Honestly, Zeta's combiners have always looked more "CHUG" to me than MP because of their really exaggerated, heavy proportions. Again, really reminiscent of a lot of AEC toys, or early 3P stuff like TFC's Combiners. Not at all like either of the main MP aesthetics, either the previous Hasui run, or the more recent "full 'toon" looks.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
On what grounds are you basing this on? The official has a realistic train mode, with a lot of care taken to give it very minimal panel breaks, in order to appeal to the scale train crowd. The 3P version uses stumpy/truncated trains based on the original toy proportions, and covered in panel breaks and obvious hinges.

The MP robot mode is based heavily on the original lineart, including the large boots, hands, and forearms, with the kibble "cape". The 3P version doesn't look like the cartoon art at all, with more "normal" proportions (but overall kinda chunky in an AEC kinda way, as all Zeta figures have been).

Honestly, Zeta's combiners have always looked more "CHUG" to me than MP because of their really exaggerated, heavy proportions. Again, really reminiscent of a lot of AEC toys, or early 3P stuff like TFC's Combiners. Not at all like either of the main MP aesthetics, either the previous Hasui run, or the more recent "full 'toon" looks.
Sorry, but I disagree. The official versions look stumpy and kibbly in bot mode, and more akin to CHUG to me, whereas the 3P versions seem to have better/more elongated bot modes with less kibble. Combined with the price, I feel the 3P versions "feel" more like MP toys, regardless of whether they fully represent the original cartoon designs.

Regardless, as I'm more interested in the CHUG-styled official designs, I'll wait for the KO versions. In either case, they offer better value for money than the official versions, IMO.

mx-01 archon

Citizen
Sorry, but I disagree. The official versions look stumpy and kibbly in bot mode, and more akin to CHUG to me, whereas the 3P versions seem to have better/more elongated bot modes with less kibble. Combined with the price, I feel the 3P versions "feel" more like MP toys, regardless of whether they fully represent the original cartoon designs.

Regardless, as I'm more interested in the CHUG-styled official designs, I'll wait for the KO versions. In either case, they offer better value for money than the official versions, IMO.

Then you've got a pretty arbitrary, self-defined version of "MP".

"Stumpy and kibbly" are not inherently CHUG signifiers, when those elements are entirely accurate to the character's onscreen design.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Then you've got a pretty arbitrary, self-defined version of "MP".

"Stumpy and kibbly" are not inherently CHUG signifiers, when those elements are entirely accurate to the character's onscreen design.
Yes, it's true that the official version looks accurate to the cartoon model, but that's how I feel. Of course, this is all based upon looking at photos, so they could all feel different when looked at in real life. I suppose it's also the small size of the figures too.

Yeah, not having to pay for anything outside out of the literal firing of the (stolen) molds really cuts down on the overhead.
There's a dedicated thread to discussing this issue here:

- https://www.allspark.com/forums/threads/the-knock-off-transformers-thread.134/

Please feel free to have a look at the links in the first post, which might address your comment.

Top Bottom