Mayhem Transformers Discussion: United We Shelfwarm

unluckiness

Now with pinchy claw action!
Citizen
IDK at least this doesn’t seem to be starring a criminal as the two lead roles.

ROTB seems to be taking all the wrong lessons from Bumblebee. No,Paramount, it didn’t do well because optimus was a red box-truck and tape guy was there.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Citizen
Cancelling the ill-advised DC movies to minimize losses sounds like decent management to me.

They just needed to cancel all of them. Or not have greenlit them at all but you make due with what you have.

Last edited:

unluckiness

Citizen
It’s not a complete bomb like Flash or Elemental but it’s not doing well either. It’s probably breaking even at best if we use the usual double the published budget rule of thumb for these big Hollywood films.With how ridiculously inflated marketing budgets have gotten in recent years, I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish in the red.

i can’t even be bothered to go see it because it’s apparently going to streaming in like a month and streaming here is like $3 a month.

Last edited:

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
the movie isn't even bombing lmfao
Really, had the movie opened to Elemental’s numbers (sub 30 mil opening weekend), THEN we’d be talking a bomb. Reportedly, Elemental’s budget was in the $200 million range as well.
It’s not a complete bomb but it’s not doing well either. It’s probably breaking even at best if we use the usual double the published budget rule of thumb for these big Hollywood films.

With how ridiculously inflated marketing budgets have gotten in recent years, I wouldn’t be surprised if they finish in the red.
Then again, there’s a LOT of money on the back end we don’t see. While Paramount+ will get the streaming options first, they WILL open up to other providers. Transformers, as a franchise, actually gets quite a bit of play across channels from multiple owners. IIRC, Revenge of the Fallen was a massive hit on home video, and I‘m sure subsequent films did good numbers as well.
RotB has also seen a LOT of media tie ins that I don’t recall seeing for even some recent Marvel and Pixar projects, so there’s money there. And there’s also residuals from the toys. Paramount still sees a cut for anything featuring a direct from movie design, and if the toys do well, that feeds into the bottom line.

Ultimately, I don’t think RotB will be any failure, but I also feel that studios are starting to really be forced to grasp with the ramifications of how streaming has changed consumers views on consuming content. If RotB does comparable numbers to Bumblebee (given the release timing, I expect it to do marginally better), I think most involved will deem it “good enough”, especially considering the stronger back end the Transformers franchise has compared to others.

Frankly, RotB is coming out better than some of its competition. Fast X will struggle to hit $150 million, D&D (despite the rave reviews) MIGHT scratch pass $95 million. I’d be shocked if Indiana Jones does much better than RotB.
Mission Impossible will do gang busters because Tom Cruise is, somehow, a money magnet.

unluckiness

Citizen
Think the better term would be disappointment. These bigass studios don’t invest nearly half a billion just to make a comparatively measly few mill.

And yeah, a trip to the movies costs too much nowadays and gets you less than a streaming subscription. I don’t blame people for sitting out the shlock Hollywood expects us to lap up when it’ll be on streaming in a month or so. It shocked me to find out how much ticket prices are in the developed world.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It's doing better than TLK domestically but the international numbers seem bad so far. Especially bad considering how much they spent on international marketing.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
They were wanting the film to be good.

tfboo.gif

unluckiness

Citizen
I can't believe somebody went through the trouble of making a face cover but gave up completely on the back end and minicon ports.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Someone's already making shoulders that move properly, because there was absolutely no reason that the design can't do it.

Top Bottom