Masterpiece Thread

Sciflyer

Two arms and one smile
Citizen
Very cool! I am watching this with some interest but probably will not get it. PM Prime / Ginrai / Super Ginrai was never really "my Optimus Prime" growing up, although I always appreciated the design (plus the whole Godbomber thing was cool and helped make it evern more of a super robot). I do have the Takara LG version from a few years ago and functional issues aside, he's still a good enough-looking representation for now.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
Yeah . . . . i think 3rd party has covered this territory and, while I know these are early pics, I think they did it better. I'll stick with my Thunder Manus at this time.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I can't say I'm crazy about this one. Standard robot mode / cab is pretty nice, but I have some quibbles with the trailer. It's too far back in trailer mode, and the proportions are a little off in robot mode. I have no knowledge of cartoon Ginrai, so these opinions are 100% based on my Powermaster Optimus Prime expectations.

Somehow, the super mode arms are both too big in trailer mode and too small in robot mode. And I don't like the fact that they don't integrate into the trailer at all. Again, that may be "correct" for Ginrai, I really have no idea, but I'd prefer them to disappear into the trailer as much as possible for Prime.

And I don't know why Takara always insists on doing his super mode feet like that? With very short or no toes hidden as much as possible behind those vertical structures? It's a very odd interpretation of what was going on with the original Powermaster Prime mold feet.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't hate it, but for reasons mentioned (not least of which being the price), I think I'll wait and see if they do better for something more mainline.

Interesting that the smaller robot has the American version's red eyes, though.

I do appreciate that it looks like fully arming the battle station mode doesn't disarm the small robot and vice-versa here.

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ginrai's super mode arms actually did integrate into the trailer (or at least fold to fit its shape better) in animation.
(This site won't let pictures embed: https://rq87.flyingomelette.com/RQ/C/MF/14/14.html )

So that's certainly not the reason they inexplicably stick up higher than on the G1 toy.

Yeah, the cartoon definitely had a much better looking trailer mode. Some very odd decisions all the way around the this design.

Also, before clicking your link, I never knew that Ginrai was drawn 100% accurate to the toy, with the real truck front on his back and the fake truck torso being a canonical fake truck torso! I kind of love it.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Could have swappable eye parts, for red or blue.

Or they'll just release an "anime colors" version with blue eyes later to milk the mold for another run.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
I mean, they're already releasing the toy in two versions: the toy deco MP-60 and the anime deco MPG-09 with the trailer.

They're already milking the damn mold before it's even come out (or officially announced) and they're doing it in the worst way because they want you to buy both versions if you want a toy-accurate Super Ginrai MP lol.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
For reference:

uIVZRGF.jpeg

AgvNX9m.jpeg

7ZJUrJX.jpeg

ByactEk.jpeg

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I mean, they're already releasing the toy in two versions: the toy deco MP-60 and the anime deco MPG-09 with the trailer.

They're already milking the damn mold before it's even come out (or officially announced) and they're doing it in the worst way because they want you to buy both versions if you want a toy-accurate Super Ginrai MP lol.

Yup. If we want a toy version, we have to buy both, and have a leftover anime cab. Now imagine the guy who wants toy and anime trailers. That guy has to buy three versions, and still ends up with a leftover cab.

I wouldn't buy this if I were a billionaire. Hug Takara for doing it this way.

Shadewing

Citizen
Yup. If we want a toy version, we have to buy both, and have a leftover anime cab. Now imagine the guy who wants toy and anime trailers. That guy has to buy three versions, and still ends up with a leftover cab.

I don't see the point of Ginrai/PMOP without a trailer anyways; like regular Prime sure. But the main part of the appeal with them IS the trailer's super mode.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen

Transformers is a dying franchise in Japan, so Takara has to try and milk the fans it has over there for as much money as they can.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
honestly nah i think it's mostly a combination of sentient mecha like transformers not being as popular as piloted mecha + takara having other franchises like shinkalion which serve as their 'kid-aimed mecha franchises' these days

the result is you just get something that, while takara doesn't completely ignore the kid market (if they did, they wouldn't bring over the kid-aimed cartoon tie-in toylines and the shows wouldn't air in japan), it's clear that their focus is collectors (but of course how do you get new collectors if you're not getting the kids hooked into the franchise when they're young so they wanna buy these things as adults)

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I wonder why piloted mecha are so much more popular than sentient mecha over there, while here it seems to be the opposite.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I wonder why piloted mecha are so much more popular than sentient mecha over there, while here it seems to be the opposite.
It's probably something as ingrained in the minds and traditions of Japan as the stigmatic belief of "animation is primarily for children" that runs just as deep in the U.S.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maybe they find piloted mecha more aspirational.

That's just cause the red eyes are on the toy deco-based MP-60 release and that's the color eyes the toy had for both the US and Japanese versions of the figure.

Oh, huh. I could have sworn the Japanese toys I'd seen had blue eyes, while the American had red.

Top Bottom