Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
It'd be better if the people of Israel didn't wait until the next election and just shot Smotrich, Netanyahu and all the other fascists in Likud's coalition in their worthless faces.

Pocket

jumbled pile of person
Citizen
It'd be better if the people of Israel didn't wait until the next election and just shot Smotrich, Netanyahu and all the other fascists in Likud's coalition in their worthless faces.
Alternatively they can still do that after they're voted out. I support the "hunting down fascists, rounding them up and then executing them without trial" Act of 2024.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
What did the government actually do?

They stripped the court of its ability to overturn government actions that it found "unreasonable."

The court can still overturn actions! It just had to use different grounds. The "unreasonable" issue is the subject of an ongoing fight from the 1990s, and yeah, yeah, it IS a subjective term. But nothing bad was happening with it in place.

Everybody clear on that? They settled the score on "reasonable," the court can still overturn actions because they are "biased" or whatever, one subjective term was replaced with another, and they blew up 75 years of social order to make that swap.

I was deeply hoping someone, anyone, would block this, or back down. Even the people who supported the change should have recognized that the diplomatic, economic, and social costs were not worth it. Israel is a land of coping, of muddling through, of dealing with annoying work-arounds because it isn't worth wholesale changing the system. I know the pro-change arguments, and they all could have waited. They all could have coped. This was entirely self-inflicted and unnecessary.

It could be reversed immediately if a more moderate government wins next time. I believe "next time" is fall 2026.

Aaaaand the court just overturned the law.

Without a Constitution, there's no legal guideline for what happens when the Knesset and High Court disagree. Who gets the last word? Can there just be endless repetitions of this dance? Anyway, this was what tore their society apart and weakened military readiness enough for the October attack and it just got flushed. Big "Tarn, everything you did was for nothing" vibe.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Simultaneously (for values of the word.) israel is apparently readying to draw back thousands of troops from gaza.

Teufel

Citizen
Hundreds of pro-Palestinian protestors in NYC chant in support of the Houthis' terrorist campaign against international shipping in the Red Sea attacking Israeli-linked or even just suspected vessels they can. They have also fired ballistic missiles and launched intercepted drones at Israel.

The Houthis official slogan is "God is the Greatest, Death to America, Death to Israel, A Curse Upon the Jews, Victory to Islam"

The anti-Zionism is palpable.

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
Did you really just call virulent antisemitism "anti-Zionism?" I get that the two are often linked (particularly when idiot tankies/campists do shit like that tweet and cheer on authoritarian/fascist regimes solely bc they're enemies of "the West"), but saying anti-Zionism instead of antisemitism is... Not exactly a great look.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
This might explain why some of my Muslim colleagues and pupils wanted to boycott McDonald's in Japan.

However, McDonald's Japan isn't really the same as McDonald's Israel, but I can appreciate where they're coming from. Some (but not all) of my colleagues/pupils have also said similar things about Coca-Cola, but I'm not sure why.

The irony here is that of McDonald's Japan's menu is "haram" for Muslims as none of the meat isn't "halal". Even the French fries are cooked in animal fat.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Top Bottom