Israeli-Palestinian Conflict

NovaSaber

Citizen

Indeed, if American political and media elites are sincere when they say they are repulsed and sickened by criticisms of Israeli policies, and by measured statements calling for de-escalation strategies, then they would surely be shocked by conversations that have taken place inside Israel since October 7—because a number of high-profile Israelis have been making statements that sound a lot like those coming from Omar, Tlaib, and Sanders.

Consider Daniel Levy, a former Israeli peace negotiator and top adviser to former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Barak, who told the BBC, “If anyone told me that what the militants did on the weekend was a legitimate response to years and years of occupation. I would say: ‘No, you’re wrong-headed. You’ve lost sight of humanity and reality.’ And if anyone tells me that what Israel is doing in Gaza today is a legitimate response to what happened on the weekend, it’s exactly the same.”

Thylacine 2000

Citizen
Amira Hass said:
In a few days Israelis went through what Palestinians have experienced as a matter of routine for decades

No. No, they really didn't. This was an Einsatzgruppen-level blood orgy of mass rape, infanticide, kidnapping, desecration of the dead, dragging cowering civilians out of a shelter to be slaughtered, and broadcasting snuff films of all that. I know about PLENTY of dark, criminal shit done by the Israeli army in combat and by random Israeli criminals. It isn't that.

The question of why people are snapping back so hard against Tlaib and Omar is a fair one. Their demand fit a ceasefire IMMEDIATELY, with no military option at all, strikes many as ridiculous. A lot of voices on the further Left discredited themselves pretty badly in the immediate aftermath. Tlaib was repeatedly pressed to condemn the sexual violence of Hamas and didn't, it was caught on camera, and I think people have just gotten tired of it.

Israel is going to obliterate Hamas. Kill every trooper, collapse every tunnel, destroy all vehicles and materiel. I would earnestly prefer they could do that without an atrocious civilian death count. FWIW, the Gaza Strip is not the same thing as Gaza City and it is not the wall-to-wall congested urban space that you see on the news. There are plenty of low-density spaces where people could flee, if they can make it.

1697340599524.jpeg

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
No. No, they really didn't. This was an Einsatzgruppen-level blood orgy of mass rape, infanticide, kidnapping, desecration of the dead, dragging cowering civilians out of a shelter to be slaughtered, and broadcasting snuff films of all that. I know about PLENTY of dark, criminal shit done by the Israeli army in combat and by random Israeli criminals. It isn't that.

The question of why people are snapping back so hard against Tlaib and Omar is a fair one. Their demand fit a ceasefire IMMEDIATELY, with no military option at all, strikes many as ridiculous. A lot of voices on the further Left discredited themselves pretty badly in the immediate aftermath. Tlaib was repeatedly pressed to condemn the sexual violence of Hamas and didn't, it was caught on camera, and I think people have just gotten tired of it.

Israel is going to obliterate Hamas. Kill every trooper, collapse every tunnel, destroy all vehicles and materiel. I would earnestly prefer they could do that without an atrocious civilian death count. FWIW, the Gaza Strip is not the same thing as Gaza City and it is not the wall-to-wall congested urban space that you see on the news. There are plenty of low-density spaces where people could flee, if they can make it.

View attachment 17129
However, if the reports are true, not everyone in Gaza City can escape to the south as Hamas, for whatever reason, have blocked some of the routes.

Hiding in random holes/buildings etc isn't a great option, is it?

MrBlud

Citizen
Maybe every current one, but this backlash is only going to ensure there are just as many to carry on.

If nothing changes after this they’re simply going dig new tunnels, and obtain more vehicles/material, and bide their time until they perpetuate another atrocity.

Which will bring an Israeli response and everyone gets to see this happen again (and again, and again, and again)

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Maybe every current one, but this backlash is only going to ensure there are just as many to carry on.

If nothing changes after this they’re simply going dig new tunnels, and obtain more vehicles/material, and bide their time until they perpetuate another atrocity.

Which will bring an Israeli response and everyone gets to see this happen again (and again, and again, and again)
This was something I heard on the (BBC/Channel 4) news; Israel is fine with a military response for short-term gains, but not in political ones for long-term/preventative ones. It needs to find a peaceful and inclusive solution so that Palestinians and Israelis can start to live peacefully.

Thylacine 2000

Citizen

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
I wrote "Palestinians", not "Hamas".
And I wrote hamas. Because I meant hamas.

Yes, there should be peace between palestine and israel. Unfortunately: hamas is a political organization, a terrorist organization and exists solely to pursue an ideological goal through murder. They are in the way. There needs to be a new government in palestine if there is to be any long term, lasting peace. You might be able to broker something short term with hamas, but it'll only last until they think they can get another chance to attack.

Do I know how to do to get them out of the way, preferably without civilian casualties? No, even if they weren't using schools and hospitals and the people there in as meat shields. The best way would be getting palestinians to rise up and rid themselves of their oppressors: but it's a catch 22 because that would require their government (hamas.) to actively negotiate in good faith to see towards improving the standard of living for everyone: and they won't because then they won't have pissed off, uneducated, unemployed people with no sight of a future to fight and die for them.

Given what was happening in israel until the shooting started: there probably needs to be a new government in israel too, but they're closer it than palestine is. At least there's something of a democracy there.

NovaSaber

Citizen
Hamas is only "the government" of Gaza, not of all Palestine.
The fact that Israel generally treats them as more legitimate than the West Bank's government is actually a part of the problem.

Pale Rider

...and Hell followed with him.
Citizen
Hamas is only "the government" of Gaza, not of all Palestine.
The fact that Israel generally treats them as more legitimate than the West Bank's government is actually a part of the problem.

Top Bottom