Increase of Spam Bots at This Site?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I've noticed that, in the past few days, several spambots have infiltrated this site and have posted multiple spam threads in most of the sub-forums here.

Also, even if I block them (which I have), their posts show under the "latest post" description under each sub-forum.

Please could this be fixed?

Last edited:

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Honestly maybe put slightly more stringent requirements to create an account

Like not so stringent that they'll discourage legitimate users, but enough that spammers won't bother.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I found them. We have a nest of spammers who never posted. They just updated their profiles over and over with spam links. Some of them have been here a while, so maybe that got this place put on some sucker list, and maybe that's where the current attack is coming from. I know phone scammers have sucker lists, so maybe spammers do too. I don't know.

I'm going to go through the entire member list and clear them out and see if this stops.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Fnu be like

2bnwow.jpg

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
We had 2 more try this morning but got caught by our approval filter. Hopefully now that Fnu has gone nuclear on the spam bots that had already snuck through the door, we can try minimize their impact. We really would like NOT to close off registration to new members so we'll see if we can control it this way first.

A big thank you to Fnu's efforts on this.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I don't know what their game plan is now. During my all-nighter I noticed some of the new spammers were trying to view accounts I deleted in the great Saturday purge. So they were aware of those dormant accounts, and they know they've been found out. Why they're still trying, I don't know.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I don't know what their game plan is now. During my all-nighter I noticed some of the new spammers were trying to view accounts I deleted in the great Saturday purge. So they were aware of those dormant accounts, and they know they've been found out. Why they're still trying, I don't know.
Desperation. If they throw enough sh*t at the wall, some of it will stick. Most spam is akin to "brute force", right?

Is there an option to "soft block" them? Basically allow their account to stay at the site but their posts only show to them and no one else? This might be a way to not alert them if their account has been deleted?

Top Bottom