Increase of Spam Bots at This Site?

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
I've noticed that, in the past few days, several spambots have infiltrated this site and have posted multiple spam threads in most of the sub-forums here.

Also, even if I block them (which I have), their posts show under the "latest post" description under each sub-forum.

Please could this be fixed?

Last edited:

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Here's what I mean about the site "showing" ignored threads by Spambots.

1/ The main forum page shows the ignored spam threads in the "latest post" under each sub-forum.
Screenshot_20230825_214429_Samsung Internet.png

2/ However, going to each sub-forum will then not show the spam posts by the ignored spambots.
Screenshot_20230825_214439_Samsung Internet.png

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
It's never time for a required captcha.

I don't know why this is happening right now but it'll pass. Just report the spammer accounts and don't click any of their links.
How do we report accounts? I could only see the option to report their posts and also the option to ignore them.

Perhaps we need more security to create an account? Possibly a captcha to create an account and then, as stated above, a time limit before someone can post and/or a minimum number of first posts/new threads that need to be checked by admin first before publication for new members?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That's what I thought. My interface is slightly different, so I had to ask.

I will say, I can't go into details for obvious reasons, but our account creation process actually does catch a lot of these. You only find out about the ones that slip through. So rest assured that Allspark's shields aren't down or something like that. Nothing broke. There's just only so much that can be done to stop a determined human from registering a spam account.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
With the timing, it leans towards the thought that it's people in another country's time zones as opposed to bots. They're posting in an early morning gap when most of the mods aren't up yet.

Zamuel

Pittied fools.
Citizen
On the more constructive side, one idea is to limit new accounts to Welcome to The Allspark for a few hours. If they spam, it's only in one place. If it's an actual user, we get introduced to a new poster.

Dake

Citizen
Does the forum software not allow a mod to delete all recent activity when banning the spammer?

What about requiring post approval for all new members?

Top Bottom