IDW G5 Set Your Sail #2

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Previously, on My Little Pony...
3340882__safe_artist-colon-amy+mebberson_idw_official+comic_izzy+moonbow_seapony+28g429_unicorn_g5_my+little+pony-colon-+set+your+sail_set+your+sail+1_spoiler-c.jpg

If I had a nickel for every time MY obsessive fandom memory helped me in the real world, then I'd have...*SIGH*...someday I'll earn myself that nickel...

Do seaponies dream of electric eels? Find out in...
3309857__safe_artist-colon-justasuta_idw_official+comic_izzy+moonbow_pipp+petals_pegasus_seapony+28g429_unicorn_g5_my+little+pony-colon-+set+your+sail_set+your+.jpg

So, how is it?

Yeah, it's good. Don't hesitate to pick this miniseries up. This is going to be good stuff.

Art wise, it's still doing pretty great. The art's lively and fun. They're still doing that coloring from last issue that I'm still not 100% sold on. But, it still looks great. Everyone's expressive and it's just fun to look at.

Story wise, this is jumping around quite a bit. There's 3 subplots we're following this issue, so it keeps things jumping around between the different groups of characters. And this is actually getting more complex than I expected. We're getting Sea Pony politics and factions! And LORE! Like...a surprising amount of lore in this one issue alone, really. They go a little high-fantasy with the sea ponies and their multiple kingdoms. It's actually rather interesting and unexpected. I like it!

So, yeah, this is good comics! If you have ANY interest in the G5 comics, this is one you'll want to pick up. I recommend it.

Pipp's trapped in a burlap sack with Izzy. I do not envy Pipp, right now, given how much time Izzy spends in garbage bins.

"Maybe this is the seapony's way of saying hello!" The next step of the welcoming party involves beating the bag you're in with sticks until candy comes out!

"It's no use! The knot is too powerful!" Izzy's gotta start working out with her magic. Girl can't even untie a knot while underwater.

Meanwhile, Zipp is trying to figure out the mystery of Creeping Jenny. Using her Warhammer 40K books, apparently, if all the skulls are any indication.

Okay, it's actually kind of clever for the kidnappers to claim that Pipp got her phone wet and is using a different number. They don't question how she bought another phone under the sea, but I guess the seaponies probably have phones...that are somehow compatible with the Pegasus phone network....let's not think about this too hard?

Meanwhile-meanwhile, we get to meet Queen Calla Lily and her sister Anemone. And they're worried about the Trenchponies! We're getting sea pony politics and world building!

LORE DROP! Apparently, the sea ponies have Seven Anchors of the Seven Seas, which gives all of them their magic. The Coral Crown from the Great Inland Sea, the Seadragon Scale from Seadragon Drift, the Moon Pearl from Luna Ocean, the Agate Geode from Celestia Ocean, the Sand Dollar from the Sea of Clouds, and the Starfish Seaglass from the Sparkling Sea. Which only gives us 6 artifacts, meaning the Trenchponies have one artifact of their own. And Celestia and Luna both get oceans named after them, but nothing for Twilight or Cadence?

I appreciate the world building, I really do. But, it's a little sad that this one comic has had more thought and care put into it's world building than ALL the rest of G5 put together. I mean, it helps only having one author instead of a whole team trying to patch something together, but still. I'm a little more interested in this undersea world, now, than the mainland.

"Do you like practice in front of a mirror, or...?" Heh.

Oooh, but Queen Calla Lily has been using a Ersatz Enchantment to fake Pipp's messages back to Queen Haven, which is bad mojo. That's probably going to backfire on everyone by the end of this mini.

Meanwhile-meanwhile-meanwhile, Zipp has decided to go to the sea to see what's up. We get seapony Zipp! And Anemone meets her to show her around, and distract her from noticing Pipp isn't around.

Meanwhile-meanwhile-meanwhile-meanwhile...oh, wait, we looped back around to the original story. Pipp is being interrogated by Captain Starboard...who kind of has a gross worm problem in his throat.

Apparently, Pipp has 70 million followers. Feels like that number is high for as low as the population of the pony world feels sometimes, but maybe multiple ponies are making dummy accounts just to subscribe to her some more?

And Captain Starboard starred in the limited edition holiday prequel to the Galloping Ghost, It's a Watery Life. Oh, they're doing a Star Wars Holiday Special thing. I wonder who was sitting around watching weird dances in the living room in that story?

Fangirl Izzy is the most adorable Izzy.

We're getting editorial captions for books that don't even exist, I love it!

Pega-crabs...even the underwater sea-life has mutated in between G4 and G5. What happened?

Queen Calla Lily seems to have a sweet tooth, if her garden of vegetable/candy hybrid atrocities is anything to go by. She'd get along with Sunny and her freak fruits.

Queen Calla Lily turns out to be a amazing actress, faking tears to get Zipp to sympathize with her while she tells her some half-truths about why she invited Pipp here...while not mentioning that Pipp has been kidnapped by someone else. Shrewd and manipulative. But, not totally evil. This is getting interesting.

The pirates are also running a pirate-radio station from their pirate ship....that's kind of great.

And the pony-nappers want Pipp to take their side in this conflict with the Queen. Hmm...

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
This is brilliant. This is what I was hoping for when it was confirmed that IDW was going to do G5 comics.

Oh G5. Even seaponies have been through a collapse.

I am genuinely intrigued. We have two factions here and I really don't trust either one. Either side might end up being the real villains here, but they're both likable enough that I expect someone on the villain side to flip. It kinda feels like a G1 story, just with good art and a more developed setting.

Speaking of art, it's still good. It takes what works about TYT and makes the heads somehow work a little better. I still have no problem with the colored outlines. I get why black outlines are a safer choice but this is working.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Honestly, I feel pretty confident that neither side will really be the villain here. Their mutual mistrust of each other is the "bad guy" for this story. It's probably just one big misunderstanding, somehow.

Now, that's not to say we won't get...I dunno...a evil clone of Pipp born of the Queen's enchantment gone out of control or something. But, I'm pretty sure by the end of the story, both sides of this conflict will end up having a big dance party together. Probably literally, since Pipp is right here for the musical accompaniment.

Top Bottom