[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Whatever it was, Static Signal couldn't tell what secret ingredient Skivey Dive added. He did know it was different so it might get the restaurant some attention on its own. Several coworkers rushed in to get some coffee. "Thanks Static. You buy this?"

The pegasus paused and nodded to Rhapsody. After initial discussion, Brisk Iron handed over the briefcase. "Here you go. Since this finished so quickly, you have an hour before Destiny expects you back on shift. I don't know if your...extra curricular activities...have given you any additional information sources for whatever you find in here. Alternately, the Documents Department keeps copies of newspapers from here and a few other cities. I need to confirm with the air ferry service for the expedition. The letter requesting my presence got held up in the mail so we need to leave out first thing tomorrow so we don't miss the festival. I'll meet you back in my office for a quick briefing on what you've found."

Huffing in frustration, even though he at least partially understood Night Caps reasoning. Scarlet pusjed his way into the small apartment and faced the earth pony.

So, what? Your solution to the Snow Shark is to completely isolate yourself from the rest of us. Go at it hell for leather and spend every second of your time racing around the dreamscape in an attempt to run into it? And if you do run into it, what then?

Night, i understand your feelings about what happened to Misty, i really do, but running headlong at the danger and burning yourself out isn't going to help anypony. Not Misty, not Maple, not the Chief. Nopony.

Ponyfeathers Night! This creature can elude a Princess. Think about that. It is capable of avoiding and deceiving Princess Luna, one of the most powerful magic users in Equestria, and yet you charge at it alone.

I say again, this will not help anypony."

Scarlet sighed and shook his head. He was willing to bet any amount that not even the Chief could have suspected that this was why Night Cap wasn't at work.

Listen Night Cap. Lets go back to the Keep amd talk to the Chief about this. You are part of STOMP remember. You aren't alone in this. Please, don't hide away in seclusion in some vainglorious attempt to take on the world by yourself."

Ocean had told Static to tell them Night Cap bought it. He knew she didn't want to be connected with the coffee. But he still felt obligated to at least mention her brothers restaurant. After all, coffee like this could drum up some business.

Of course, her suggestion did bring up another possibility. Static noticed Night Cap hadn't arrived yet. Maybe he could help cover for him. It looked like these ponies might be more forgiving of a tardy co-worker if they had gotten them free coffee. And just mentioning her brothers diner shouldn't involve her in any way.

"Night Cap was going to go to Skivey's to get some for the department. It may be why he's late." Static took another sip. "Yeah, definitely Skivey's. Across from Semolina's just a few blocks east of here for anypony interested.

"Night Cap bought it? Hey, he bought the donuts that other time, too."
"This stuff's pretty good."
"Maybe he can bring waffles next time."
"Pancakes."
"WAFFLES!"
"PANCAKES!"
"...is that the accountant coming this way?"
"!!!"
"Scatter!"
As his coworkers dispersed, Static Signal saw Hazel Naught happily walk up. She was pushing a small cart with a few boxes of paper on it while humming. "Good morning, Static! I do believe I'm quite early but better that than late."

Static smiled to see Hazel Naught walking up. He was probably one of the few in the entire Keep that would smile to see her walking up...but hey! After that bowling night, it was hard to see her as one of those monstrous accounting types instead of another friend who works here who's just as much a pony as everypony else.

"Ms. Naught! Good morning! Good to see you. The schedule just said something about paperwork needed filing? Kinda vague. What's up?" As he caught sight of the boxes, his ears drooped a bit.

[This is gonna take a while.]

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"There's many papers to file but I presorted them so it should go smoothly. Melon took me to see the wrestling last night and I'm still in such a mood that I couldn't wait to sort some ledgers this morning!"

"Hmmm... a job or hobby..." Misty rotates through the mental list of her friends' jobs. "How about... uh... movie projectionist?"

[She...likes...sorting ledgers?]

[It is a part of her job.]

[Filing paperwork is part of yours.]

[Yeah, but that's not something I like to do. I like projection duty, making documentaries, building tech. Filing paperwork is just something I do because it's an included part I have to do along with all the other stuff I get to do. She actually likes sorting ledgers?]

[To each their own.]

Static helped push the cart over to the appropriate filing cabinets. "Yeah, I just saw Mr. Hide a few moments ago. It sounded like you both had fun."

[That reminds me, I did make a promise to Night Cap.]

[I wonder if he even remembers that.]

Scarlet stared for a few seconds as Night Cap replied to his outburst, fighting valiantly not burst laughing at the sight before him. While in his dreamwalker state Night Cap may very well be Mighty.

Here though, 'Unstoppable Monster Hunter' just could not be further from the bleary eyed grey pony sprswled actoss an unkemt bed. This is the vision Scarlet would forever be reminded of, whever anypony (including Night Cap) referred to the earth pony as a minster hunter.

That automatically quashed any lingering frustration he had with Night Cap regarding his current heroic, if misguidedly obsessive, need to fight the monster who attacked Misty.

Restricting himdelf to a chuckle and a grin, Scarlet gestured from Night to the door.

"Then lets get back to the Keep might hunter.

I'll be honest though. All the Chief said to me was that you were late for work and i should go wake you. Maybe she knows what you're up to, maybe not. Either way, your friends and your coworkers on the team are better off knowing where you are. Rather than finding you in the hospital later. Or worse.

Everyponies better off with backup right?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Backup's a liability. I used to like traveling with companions, but this job works better if I don't have to be responsible for anyone."

The pegasus paused and nodded to Rhapsody. After initial discussion, Brisk Iron handed over the briefcase. "Here you go. Since this finished so quickly, you have an hour before Destiny expects you back on shift. I don't know if your...extra curricular activities...have given you any additional information sources for whatever you find in here. Alternately, the Documents Department keeps copies of newspapers from here and a few other cities. I need to confirm with the air ferry service for the expedition. The letter requesting my presence got held up in the mail so we need to leave out first thing tomorrow so we don't miss the festival. I'll meet you back in my office for a quick briefing on what you've found."

Rhapsody nods some and takes the briefcase. "I'll see what I can turn up." She replies and flies off to a nearby rooftop, if she needed a quick change she'd be out of sight for many. She puts the briefcase down and opens it, to see what's contained inside.

"You're wrong Night Cap. Having ponies on your side means you have somepony to rely on. To battle with. The only time backup could ne considered a liability, is if you don't trust each other to do the task ahead of. They have to trust yhat you won't take foolish risks, but you have to trust that they know what they're doing, and can defend themselves.

If you mean the reason you dropped companions in favour if the lone wolf route, is because you spect all your time second guessing them, or feeling obligated to protect them, then you weren't a team.

Having friends means that we all look out for each other.

And never run away and leave a pony behind,"
he added quietly.

"A movie projectionist? Well, a face would play up the ability to entertain and educate and even the latter would be about entertainment. There's various photography based things like taking pictures with fans or using a catchphrase like 'capture a moment in time'. Maybe even bring a projector down to ringside and set it up, even if it never gets used. There's a lot of wrestlers who use props to set the image but don't use those props in the ring. Also note that a few of these stretch the concept.

For a heel, you could have a pony who's all about catching their opponent's embarrassing moments on film. Or, they could be catching their own moments on film but they're really vain and snobbish. If they do research on the town ahead of time, they could sit there insulting the area's favorite movies. Especially if there's a local movie star."

"Oh yes, such a wondrous athletic competition. The opposing team had a fitting name for their villainy, Fiscal Irresponsibility. Why, those miscreants threatened to use Federal Tax Code: Section Ñ on their opponents and members of the audience! Section Ñ has been rendered illegal in most parts of Equestria due to how it brings undue hardship and can lead to property being seized. I was just a step away from flying down there and telling them about reputable financial practices!

But I remembered that while it is an actual sport, the personas are for show. That might have caused quite a scene if I flew down there. Ha...hahaha! Ahem.

But all was right as the Fancy Finances thwarted them with their valiant Double Tax Return maneuver. I may not understand all of the rules but I do believe I'd enjoy going again."

Searching through the papers, Rhapsody found that most of it was information about the legal loophole with some of the uncommon but not confidential information about Brisk Iron. Upon looking some more, she found that the name of the property owner for the Bubonic Inn, a pony by the name of Chipotle Verde.

Static still had a hard time picturing a wrestling team with accounting as their theme. In fact, of everypony Static considered a friend, Hazel Naught was quickly becoming the one who baffled him the most...even moreso than Night Cap and Snowy.

He understood that accounting was something that needed to be done. But for someone to actually enjoy that kind of work? There's just so many...numbers...and paper work...and legal jargon...and...and...numbers!

He smiled and nodded until she finally came to something he could relate to.

"No kidding! My first time to a wrestling match I didn't understand half of what was going on. I mean, I could mostly tell who was winning and who was losing...but I never understood having rules in a fight. But it was quite a show. Maybe there's a book or something that could tell us what all the rules are."

They don't, but you do? Thats a very lonely outlook on things Night. I understand that the dreamscape is nothing i could imagine, i doubt any non dreamwalker could imagine it. However, facing things alone can be just as dangerous as leading an inexperienced team.

Teamwork isn't about 'Yay Team!' cheerleading. Its about sharing skills and info. Learning to rely on each other. Planning, preparing. Not rushing in while the rest just cheer you on. There are other dreamwalkers here. Other ponies who have experienced the dreamworld with you. For this Snow Shark, sticking together and facing it down is better than having it pick us off one by one.

Perhaps you could stop it if and when you face it. Or, it could squash you like a bug and move on. I'll say it again. This thing can elude Princess Luna."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hazel Naught pondered for a moment. "It might not be current but as a sport there's a possibility the Keep might have a documentary on it. That would surely explain at least some of the rules."

Searching through the papers, Rhapsody found that most of it was information about the legal loophole with some of the uncommon but not confidential information about Brisk Iron. Upon looking some more, she found that the name of the property owner for the Bubonic Inn, a pony by the name of Chipotle Verde.

Rhapsody looked over the info in the briefcase, and then quickly changed into her alter-ego to head to the Police station. "Detective Champron, I need any information you have on a pony named Chipotle Verde."

Static raised an eyebrow. "The Keep might have something?" he asked incredulous. He hadn't ran into anything before. Of course, that didn't mean it didn't exist. "I was just thinking of going to the library after work."

[Or you could ask Maple, or Pendulumnae.]

[Should maybe design a costume first...maybe a persona.]

[Maybe see about working on one for Night Cap too.]

"Hmm...don't want to get ahead of myself though." Static chuckled. "Bowling and now wrestling! I never thought that working in a museum projection booth would introduce me to so many extra-curricular activities!

"Okay, so... themes are important! Alright. But what about... the acting? How do you get into character?"

Scarlet simply stared. All he could think of to say was.

"Maybe i can help with that. The 'getting your dreamwalking info published' i mean.

Wait a minute. You can't possibly be the only pony who mends and defends the lower levels of the dreamscape!

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Hazel Naught continued filing papers "Yes, the library might be a possibility as well. All this exciting talk...hmm. I do believe we've had limited contact despite being neighbors. I've never really been a pony for parties but it almost makes me wonder about setting up a radio on wrestling nights and several of us having a get together."

Gem Champron was initially startled but nodded in greeting upon the superhero entering his office. "You've been doing so well lately, you might put one of us out of a job. Though that's a curious question. You asking means it's likely important but that name isn't really ringing any bells. That means they either aren't big time or they're good at keeping their nose clean. So...that file cabinet that you don't see because I'm not pointing to it obviously may or may not contain national newpaper clippings from the past few years that would assist you."

Spoiler

Static thought it over. If he and Night Cap were actually going to become wrestlers...well that might get a little sticky if they were trying to keep their identity a secret. Of course, it's not like they'd be fighting every time there was a wrestling event. And if they ever did make it, they could tell Hazel Naught at least.

"That could probably be arranged. I know a few ponies who work here at least that seem to be wrestling fans. It's kind of odd. I've never been much of a party type pony either. But I've been to a few get togethers lately. I normally just find a quite place to sit and watch. But it's still fun in its own right...you know...just kinda being on the sidelines."

Gem Champron was initially startled but nodded in greeting upon the superhero entering his office. "You've been doing so well lately, you might put one of us out of a job. Though that's a curious question. You asking means it's likely important but that name isn't really ringing any bells. That means they either aren't big time or they're good at keeping their nose clean. So...that file cabinet that you don't see because I'm not pointing to it obviously may or may not contain national newpaper clippings from the past few years that would assist you."

Spoiler

Black Night hehs softly. "Your cops do more then their fair share around here. There will always be room for the good ones." She says and then nods "Their name came up in something I'm investigating. It could be nothing, or it might lead to something more; it's too early to tell as there not too much to know at the moment other then it feels like something shady is going on, so I can't provide any further details just yet. Wouldn't want to send you or the department after ghosts." She states, giving Gem as much info as she can, as even she had little more then a gut feelings and the vague words of a minion.

She goes over to the filing cabinet and looks through the material inside of it skim for mentions of Chipotle Verde's name.

Spoiler

"Fair point. I guess you don't 'dream' as such because you never truly sleep. That explains the Coffee addiction

Scarlet hoped that the Chief would be around so Night Cap could explain his reasoning for ditching work.

"...oh.

Good grief."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
With careful examination over several minutes, Black Night began to piece together some things about Chipotle Verde. While the newspaper photos available weren't particularly clear, it was easy to tell she was an adult pegasus. Born into a rich family, she went missing after a mountain hike outside of Equestria years ago and returned a few weeks later. Buying up a lot of property out west, she's come into disputes with both the Grape Family and the Royal Guard, though nothing seems to have escalated.

Spoiler

"I guess that just comes down to picking a good theme, too. Like...you shouldn't be in the role of a clown if you don't like face paint and lack a sense of humor."

Hazel Naught pondered, "I guess I wouldn't know but it's nice to imagine."

"I guess it depends on the pony, really. I mean, I like socializing. I really do. It sure beats the alternative. I've been the loner. It...kinda sucks.

"But being in a crowd, totally surrounded by ponies and the whole energy that flows in places like that...it can be exhausting. I guess staying on the sidelines is more a thing of needing a breather.

"Ponies like Maple, on the other hoof...it's like she thrives on it!"

Static shrugs slightly as he puts yet another file away. "Good thing about watching from the sidelines though, you get to see so many different kinds of ponies. The fearless ones who'll belt out a karaoke song without a single thought of how others see them, the ones who will flirt with absolutely every single other mare or stallion in the place, the one's who get uncomfortable because of it...the other ones on the sidelines watching just like you...you see a lot of stories unfold that way."

"Alright... I suppose that's something I need to put a lot of thought into."

Somewhere behind the bangs, wheels began turning.

Black Night finished up and looked over to Gem Champron. "It's not much, but she's also had some dealings with the Royal Guards and Grape Vine. Further avenues to explore at least. The fact she went missing for so long and then returned could also be something... It wouldn't be unheard of if it was an impostor. Its been helpful, but still nothing we could act on. If I learn anything real important, I'll let you know." She replies before heading heading out.

A quick change later, and Rhapsody heads towards The Keep, checking the time to see if stopping by the document department is possible.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"So thats what you meant be being unafraid to run away? You have to relive a great fear in order to get in?

Hmm. The way you describe it, it almost sounds like the Dreamscape is less simply a dreamworld, and more an alternate dimension of sorts."

Hazel Naught placed the final file in the cabinet. "Oh, I was meaning more of going to gatherings as a whole isn't a common thing for myself. However, I do believe we're finished. It seems that time flies when you're having fun!"

In the midst of their conversation, Scarlet Spectrum and Night Cap arrived outside Brisk Iron's office. Elsewhere, Rhapsody arrived at the Documents Department and could hear voices inside.

"what else could break through? There're worse things down than the Snow-oh we're here."

Scarlet raised hoof and knocked hesitantly.

"i hope she's back. When she sent me to get you the Chief said she had to dtep out somewhere herself so, cross your hooves Night Cap."

Rhapsody' ears perk up some at the sound of voices, she waits outside a bit trying to see if she can make out anything being said or who might be in there.

[Night Cap starts to doze off while standing]

Scarlet grimaces at Night Cap.

"Night Cap! Like i said before, i applauf your determination to seek out and attempt to take on the Snow Shark. You have dities in this part of reality too. You have a job at the Keep and you're not slacking off"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I used not to be either. One night in STOMP though, I just couldn't do the loner thing anymore. The ciders, the anger, the loneliness...it's slow death. Of course, now it's kinda crazy how far the other way I've gone. Clubbing, wrestling, bowling, helping Skivey at his diner, making tech... I even have a marefriend! Never would have seen that coming. Honestly... I don't think I could add too much more. Of course, you're always welcome to join...except on marefriend night. Anchors might be miffed if I invite anypony else to that."

Static side as he straightened out his back. He hated being hunched over filing cabinets for extended periods of time. "Done already? Hmm, good thing you pre-sorted I suppose."

"A little planning and efficiency works wonders!" Hazel Naught hummed as she exited the Documents Department.

[Of course, that doesn't work so well when you're trying to plan 48 hours worth of stuff into a 24 hour day.]

Static waved as Hazel Naught left. "I'll see what I can do. See ya later, Ms. Naught!"

"No it's not that. Scarlet... I didn't have coffee before we left."

Surprised, Scarlet gave Night Cap an apologetic look.

"Sorry Night. I didn't even think about that. Look, if you can stay conscious long enough for us to figure out if the Chief is back or not. I'll make sure you get a decent amount if Coffee in as soon as possible. Even if we have actually have to go out and buy some.

Deal?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody watches as Hazel leaves the department, giving a nod to her before she enters, pausing momentarily... 'oh yeah, this is Static's department...' she muses to herself mentally, as she relates projectionist to the yellow pony more then anything else. "I got a bit of business from the Chief, do you have any info on a female pegasus named Chipotle Verde?"

"Rhapsody? Hmm, not often I see you here. You're usually shut tight away in the astronomy department. Chipotle Verde? Hmm, give me a moment." Static goes to the card catalogue. For you young fillies and foals out there, card catalogues are how libraries kept track of things before there were computers. Yes there was a time before computers. "Let's see. 'V' for Verde..."

Spoiler

"So the initial question is, 'why were you late?'" Brisk Iron said as she walked up and opened her office door.

Searching through the files for Chipotle Verde's name, Static Signal found a note stating it needed to be updated and redirected to 'mess halls'. There, he initially found info about the history of mess halls used by the Royal Guard but the most current entry was a newspaper article titled The Malfunctioning Mess. It mentioned that Chipotle Verde was contractor for several facilities that were in poor condition. Moreover, money had been skimmed from the contract but she was never directly blamed as most fault was immediately placed on the workers who had been hired from Petrichor Falls.

Spoiler

Static handed the document over to Rhapsody for inspection. "Sounds like a real model citizen," he says sourly. "Even uses Petrichor Falls as a patsy. I...hope you were looking for that in order to help take her down? I could make copies for your Black Night friend."

Rhapsody looks over what's handed to her as she answers. "We're not quiet sure what to do about her yet, that a large part of why I am looking into this. She used to own the Bubonic Inn, which is now just a faint memory thanks to the Chief. Though Verde kinda tried to defend it through a minion who is now on her way to Petrichor Falls. Afterwards the chief and I felt that the owner bared looking into, since the way they tried to handle things is setting off my instincts." She says giving Static a brief summation of events so far. "It seems like she doesn't like that a lo! ophole was used against her, and her minion mentioned other ways of how that loophole could be used against the city; but I don't want to say too much yet, since right now there is no plan as well as the chief might want to go into more details herself later on with the team."

"So far it seems that legally she is clean." Rhapsody says with a scowl and huff of annoyance. "But This certainly backs up some of what I've learned so far, that she's had issues with the Royal Guards and Grape Vine. I think the Chief might need to use her connections to learn more from the Royal Guards, and with luck we might get some intel from Grape Vine between the minion I sent her way, as well as how Verde tried to use Petrichor Falls for her own ambitions. If it is just her own. Never know who's working for whom out there. COIN, TAKE, Tipsy Tulip, and probably other organizations we might not know about yet. Anyways, copies could be useful as Black Night is already helping to look into this."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"The Bubonic Inn's gone? Heh! Night Cap might be sad to hear that. He used to stay there." Static shakes his head as he hears the tale. "Anything I can do to help. Grape Vine's been having enough trouble trying to see Petrichor Falls reputation repaired without mules like this pulling this kind of crap." Static takes the documents over to the copier and sets them copying.

Scarlet was impressed. That was the most professional way of half-admitting to what you were up to that he'd ever heard. After their conversation, Scarlet was more inclined to believe that Night Cap might actually have a chance at fighting the monster. Yet he still worried that the grey dreamwalker was throwing himself at this way to hard, and could simply get stomped. The Chief should know what what he was up against.

"Night Cap planned to stay in the Dreamscape until he finds and deals with this Snow Shark creature. However long it takes."

"I though I'd heard of it before. Good riddance to the place. Looks like even a stray sneeze could have knocked the place down." Rhapsody replies. "So far the thing that stucks out most from what I have learned from other sources, is that she went missing for nearly a month before she came back and started setting herself up like this. There's a lot of things that could happen in that time; for all we know the real Chipotle Verde may never have returned, and we're dealing with a Changeling or something." She says, her mind seems to keep coming back to tha! t little detail. "Alright, I or someone else will probably come by later to pick the copies up."

"What you're attempting is admirable, if incredibly foolish," Brisk Iron said. "Without help or backup, there's any number of things that could happen to you. And that's if you even managed to find it. Also, you would eventually need to wake up. Besides, if this thing is avoiding Princess Luna, the sheer act of her guarding our dreams should help keep it at bay.

Something that's been in the works seems like it's finally come to a point of being utilized. A support network of sorts for dreamwalkers. You'll be contacted! tonight for further detail."

"I've never been there myself, but with a name like Bubonic Inn, I can't imagine staying there would be good for anypony, especially not the way you describe it. I'll leave the detective work to you. I'll get these copied as quickly as possible. See you later then!"

Static looks at the clock. It seemed he still had some time and the documents didn't look too terribly taxing. He grabbed a quill, some papers and started to transcribe everything.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"The thing about that is that there's others who care about your safety. Especially when there might be ways to work smarter instead of harder.

In other news, part of the team will be going on an expedition tomorrow. I know it's abrupt but it should do some good for everypony."

"Us three, Rhapsody, Static, Anchors, and Dusty. Dusty has expressed no interest in most expeditions but this will be different due to location. If you remember the village from my father's journal, they're the ones who made the request. It'll be a good way to make sure prior information is updated and admittedly touch upon family history. I was originally going to delay it but there's a celebration coming up that they can't postpone and their letter got delayed in reaching me."

"It's a jungle climate but otherwise the gear should be pretty standard."

Scarlet remained mostly silent through the rest of the meeting, though he was excited to get out in the field again. Well, that and visiting the village in the Chiefs fathers diary. A little bit of STOMP history. Then the Chief rattled off who out if the team was going.

"Rhapsody? Oh goody," he muttered in a bery low voice. Still, it wasn't that bad since he might be able finally get her to talk to him.

Wondering if Night Cap really understood that the 'Dreamwalker support network' was (or he assaumed it was) a way to bring all freamwalkers together as a team. Not simply eyes and ears for Night Cap.

Scarlet felt very bad for thinking that, but the earth ponies repeated insistamce on being the Lone Wolf solo nonster hunter worried him.

"this sounds like fun. See you later Chief."

As he followed Night Cap out, Scarlet couldn't help grinning.

"That you are Night. That you are. Now lets go find that Coffee i promised, shall we."

"Just remember, one squirt of Coffee per cup. Those things aren't built for making super strong Coffee"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Problem? What happened. Did somepony actually try that and, uh, break the machine?"

Rhapsody gave a nod to Static. "This might not be the last time you help me with this. For now I need to report back with what I've found so far." She says and leaves the documents department, heading to Brisk's officea few minutes after Night and Scarlet had already left.

"Yikes! Well, lets brave the cafeteria and hope its working today then."

Upon entering the office, Rhapsody heard Brisk Iron say, "I'm hoping you found some useful information. I almost said 'good news' but I have a feeling that's not what was uncovered."

Scarlet Spectrum and Night Cap quite easily found a vendor who had coffee available but with marked up prices.

'sigh'

"Hrrr. How much for three cups of your strongest?"

Fishing around in his saddlebags, Scarlet pulled out his moneybag, and waited for the damage.

This had better be good Coffee!

Upon entering the office, Rhapsody heard Brisk Iron say, "I'm hoping you found some useful information. I almost said 'good news' but I have a feeling that's not what was uncovered."

Scarlet Spectrum and Night Cap quite easily found a vendor who had coffee available but with marked up prices.

"No, certainly nothing. 'Good'," Rhapsody replies as she takes a seat in front of Brisk's desk. "She slick, nothing sticks to her. This isn't the first kinda real estate 'scam' she's been up to, and I strongly believe that her minion mentioning using the loop hole to buy things like the police station of Town Hall, would certainly be in her wheelhouse to try. You might want to let whomevers in charge know so they can be ready for any such attempts." She states and then sets the info she got from Static on the Table. "She's also got some history with the royal guard and Mayor Vine. She was hired for some contract work, seemed to embezzle most the funds then blamed the Petrichor Falls workers for things going pear-shaped. The police have very little on her, since legally she's clean and they can't do anything about her... but I think the most interesting bit comes from what I did learn there. A few years ago Verde was hiking in the mountains and disappeared for nearly a month, then when she returned is when she decided to turn real estate mogul. I have the feeling SOMETHING happened to Verde, since there doesn't seem to be any incidences I can find that date before that disappearance"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Brisk Iron looked over the info. "Hmm. The other detail that seems to stand out is that a lot of this seems to line up with Grape Vine initially coming to power in Petrichor Falls. All of this might have helped her standings since she was willing to stick up for the city. Might also be part of why the city now holds us in high regard."

Scarlet Spectrum found that the coffee he paid for was suitably...average.

Grumbling under his breath at the 'borderline extortion' for what was honestly, pretty standard fair Coffee. Scarlet turned to Night Cap.

"Two for you, one for me. Drink'em while they're hot. You need the caffeine more than i do."

Brisk Iron looked over the info. "Hmm. The other detail that seems to stand out is that a lot of this seems to line up with Grape Vine initially coming to power in Petrichor Falls. All of this might have helped her standings since she was willing to stick up for the city. Might also be part of why the city now holds us in high regard."

Scarlet Spectrum found that the coffee he paid for was suitably...average.

Rhapsody nods some. "Well I did tell Verde's minion to talk with Mayor Vine. Maybe she'll be able to get some information out of her, and you seem to have some contacts in the Royal guards you might be able to use to see if they have any more info on their end about the mess hall event. They are at least avenues to explore that might yield more info since they're directly dealt with her, or at least more directly then anyone here has. The only other option in trying to learn more, least on what we currently know, would be trying to investigate the area she disappeared in, but no telling how useful that'd be after all this time."

"All the same, I'll try to get somepony to look into Verde's expedition in case we do find something of worth. As far as the loophole, I spoke with Mayor Loss. While it's unlikely to be closed completely, they will be looking into adding things like the hospital onto the group of protected properties. It looks like it's time for that planning session for the Princess Luna documentary. I'll keep you informed if anything comes up."

Rhapsody nods "If I or Black Night comes across anything, I'll be sure to let you know as well."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
After Rhapsody was dismissed from Brisk Iron's office and Night Cap got some coffee, they met up with Static Signal to discuss the Princess Luna documentary.

Maple sat quietly while they traveled, even her insatiable attention to detail couldn't keep her from nodding off... fluttering in and out of sleep with the relative roughness or smoothness of the ride. The map in her head of how they were getting where they were going - wherever in Equestria that was... was going to be a jumbled mess with gaps all over. But she needed to get the sleep she hadn't gotten the night before -with Misty. How was she? Was she still Safe? ... fortunately, the staggered nature of her sleep was keeping the dreams away.

Snowy and his friend were equally quite while she was awake. Perhaps they were being kind enough to converse while she was resting. Or maybe they had nothing to say to each other... Maple didn't know.

Static gets one look at Night Cap. "I was wondering where you've been all day. Lucky for you, we got some free coffee from Skivey's. I covered for you and said you were late because you were out getting the coffee. The others seem to love you." Static walks over to the carrying containers. "Everypony really swarmed these poor things. I'm not how much, if any, is still left."

He turned his attention to Rhapsody. "You're welcome to it too if there's any left. I also got those documents for Black Night copied."

Static took a heavy sigh. He gave the others a chance to get some coffee or do whatever before actually starting the meeting.

"The others seem to love you."

"That is still one of the great mysteries of the universe..." Rhapsody muses softly.

He turned his attention to Rhapsody. "You're welcome to it too if there's any left. I also got those documents for Black Night copied."

"I'm good for now." She replies, mostly because she wasn't sure if she should trust coffee, or anything else really, from Skivey's after the kinda stuff Static has told about the place.

Static brings over a binder labeled "Luna Documentary" and sets it on the table. "Well, I guess Ms. Iron set aside this time so we can catch up on where we are with this documentary. This is everything we've found out about Luna's life...which is actually a lot more than I thought we had now that I look at it. We have a lot of information about her early early expeditions, civilizations she's met and so forth. There's very little of interest during the 1000 years when she was exiled on the moon. Of course, her return and her life since coming back we know a lot about first-hoof.

"I'd kinda like to get more information. For example, I'm still not sure which of the Elements of Harmony belongs to Celestia and which ones belonged to Luna. But I'm afraid I may be getting into the frame of mind of ;research research research while not knowing when to stop and move on to the next step."
He turns to Night Cap and Rhapsody in turn. "Thoughts?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Upon returning to his office, Scarlet Spectrum heard a surprised gasp. Quickly running up to him was Bold Spectrum with her clipboard ready. "Good morning, Scarlet! If you're not too busy, there is an important office survey I'd like you to do."

Static has a dead pan look on his face. "You are sooooooo gonna crash hard later!" he turns to Rhapsody. "I honestly didn't understand anything after 'enough research'. Your thoughts?"

Static has a dead pan look on his face. "You are sooooooo gonna crash hard later!" he turns to Rhapsody. "I honestly didn't understand anything after 'enough research'. Your thoughts?"

Rhapsody gives a deadpan look to Static. "I've never undersood Night Cap, and you want me to start now?"

Having left Night Cap far more mentally active than when he found him, Scarlet had made haste to his office. He had a lesson to prep for, ponies hide fro--teach.

Then the unexpected voice made him jump. Spinning around, he sees the oncoming crystal pony, and her clipboard. With nowhere to escape to, and lacking the brusqueness to simply brush her off. Scarlet sighs inwardly smiles.

"Uh, hello? Bold Standard right?

An office survey?"

"Hmm? Oh..no! No, I meant...your thoughts on what should be done next. I have a story in my head, but it's more camera shots than anything. I can't quite get my mind to come up with the dialogue. Static brings out a piece of paper and hoofs it over so both Rhapsody and Night Cap can take a look at it.

[Fade in: throne room] Two alicorn blank flank fillies getting crowned as princesses. Both have grins as wide as their faces.

[Cross fade into: Forest at night] Luna is out alone. She pushes through heavy foliage and takes a tumble. As she stands back up, she's met full in the face by a zebra.

[Cut to: Forest at night in a clearing with tables and a camp fire] Luna's talking to the zebras.

[Cross fade into: throne room day time] Celestia is holding court with several ponies.

[Scene: Celestia and Luna fighting Discord.] Using the elements of Harmony, they both turn Discord to a stone statue]

[Cut to: middle of unnamed pony town daytime] ponies cheering on Celestia. Luna is nowhere to be found.

[Pan to: same town, night time] Luna lands in the middle of the town to do her nightly duty as guardian. There are no other ponies to be found.

[Scene: Wilderness night] Luna is leading an expedition. Her guard along with Navigator Moonshine and expedition leader Black Night.

[Scene: Celestia and Luna fighting Sombra:] After a hard fought battle, Sombra is defeated but the Crystal Empire disappears as Luna and Celestia fly away from the city.

[Cut to: middle of unnamed pony town daytime] ponies cheering on Celestia. Luna is nowhere to be found.

[Pan to: same town, night time] Luna lands in the middle of the town to do her nightly duty as guardian. There are no other ponies to be found.

[unnamed pony town daytime] Celestia is among a throng of ponies socializing, eating at a deli, enjoying the day.

[unnamed pony town night time] Luna walks the streets alone.

[sky shot of the sun. Sun sets, moon rises. Moon sets, sun rises. Repeat several times until when the moon comes up, there is now a silhouette of Luna's head covering the moon.]

[fade out]

[fade in, text only] On the longest day of the thousandth year, the stars will aide in her escape and she will bring about nighttime eternal.

[Scene: Castle of the two sisters] Nightmare Moon is battling Princess Twilight and her friends, only Twilight isn't a princess yet. She's only a unicorn at this point. Using the Elements of Harmony, the six hero's hit Nightmare Moon with the elements.

[White out]

[Fade back in to the same scene] Luna is back to her normal self. Celestia's there to welcome her sister back

[Cross fade: Canterlot day] Ponies cheering. Luna is given a wreath to wear around her neck.

[Cross fade: Ponyville night] Luna taking part of Nightmare Night with the citizens.

[Cross fade: Canterlot night] Luina taking part of the Winter Moon festival.

Static shrugged. "It's all I could think of. It's...not much. I could certainly use some ideas."

"Yes, if you could please answer this question--what is your favorite breakfast?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
For a moment, Scarlet just stood there trying to unravel Bold Standards question from her odd emphasising of random words. It kinda felt like she was both trying to mentally grab the attention of whoever she was talking too, while also unknowingly distracting them. And yet she seemed so enthusiastic about it. Just like at the bar with her culinary comic book crusader. Her job was a mostly thankless job, yet she stayed cheerful.

So he thought about her breakfast question.

"My...favourite? Hmm... I've always had a liking for Crumpets. With hot butter, or sliced Bananas and Sugar. A couple of them with a glass of juice or Tea is great way to wake up in the morning.

Pancakes come a close second though. I mean, you have a bit more variety as to what you can put on them."

Bold Standard eagerly scribbled Scarlet Spectrum's response. "That's not too common. By the way, after bowling my husband said that your mom is Diamond Dazzler. Is that true?"

Smiling hesitantly, Scarlet nodded.

"while i would usually claim innocence on this. Your husband is right. Diamond is my mom."

"I guess that means both of us know movie stars! I recently got a letter from one of my college friends, Cocoa Sprinkles, and the movie she was working on got picked up by Ocean Bay for distribution across Equestria. I remember the cut I saw before getting transferred to this branch of the Keep:

'Don't make me get desaturated!' as she does a sassy mane shake then her jazzy theme music starts and she fights off the bad guys."
Bold Standard bobbed her head back and forth as if listening to music in her head then suddenly stopped. "Oops, I should probably be getting back to the office with this info. Tell your mom a fan said hello."

"That's wonderful. I hope your friend does well," Scarlet said. His smile became much warmer as he watched Bold Standard bob in time to her internal movie clip. Despite her vocal quirk sometimes making it hard to converse, he liked Bold Standard. For a Marketeer, she sure was cheerful.

Making a mental note of the name of Bold Standards friend to his mom, along with her name, Scarlet called after the retreating Crystal pony.

"I'll say hi for you next chance i get. Have a nice day Bold!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
:???

"I, on the other hand, have had no where near enough coffee to follow all of that!"

Static sighs and rubs away at a headache. "This is only the barest of a skeleton framework. If everypony is okay with the shots that are laid down here, then I think maybe the next step should be gettin dialogue written down. After that we'll have something actors can audition to. We'll also know what characters we need actors for, what props we need, etc. But like I said. Right now it's only the barest skeleton of a framework."

Static Signal, Rhapsody, and possibly also Night Cap continued working on the documentary. Plotting things out as best as they could, they found what could and couldn't be used.

Late in the day, Misty Monsoon found that she was being released from the hospital. It was on the condition that Pendulumnae would be assisting with her recovery the following days.

Much farther north, Maplejack and Snowy Skies spot a sleepy little town as the sun sets. A nod from Plainclothes alerted them to what they likely already assumed--they had arrived at Bitka. It was...quiet. A musicless silence as if the whole town were holding its breath. "It's been a long trip. We'll need to get to an inn so we can get things situated first thing in the morning."

Once the day ended, the team was quickly briefed about the expedition and told to get an early rest. However, things were a little different for Night Cap. Drifting off to the land of slumber, he felt himself being guided. Zig Zag pulled him along until he landed in a room with a ball pit. However, he wasn't alone. Taking up most of the space was Amaroq. Also seated were Desert Rose and Tangerine Sands. Zig Zag then said,

"Make yourself comfy.
I shall go get Brisk Iron.
Then we will begin."

Zig Zag didn't walk out of door but simply walked...away...as she went to get Brisk Iron.

Spoiler

Maple was happy they'd reached their destination... but not so much looking forward to more sleep. ... she'd hopefully kept the nightmares away with her staggard rests... but then again, the nightmares didn't always like being kept away. Could she just stay awake tonight..? No, she didn't have Mr. Night Cap's strength of will. Not to mention she still had no idea what was ahead of her... she may need the rest - and as horrible as the dreams were, they never actually seemed to adversely affect the amount of sleep she got.

Maybe she could sleep on her tummy and scream into the pillows to avoid waking the other two.

[Night Cap makes a comment about the new faces.]

Amaroq seemed at least mildly offended.
"I can't see how I'm supposed to be new when I've been at this longer than you have."

"Oh really? That's all?"
"Night Cap and Amaroq, I observe and see no reason you should be arguing about this when we're all on the same side. Different perceptions to aid the situation." "Indeed." Just then, Brisk Iron and Zig Zag returned. "This isn't about measuring egos. This creature presents dangerous ramifications and we need to figure out how to find it and how to deal with it once we do find it."

[only surviving fragment of this post]
The greenhorns are getting uppity.

"I worry about such an attempt. The first is your own safety. The second is that I don't know what might follow you back out. Or follow it back out. The Snow Shark has shown a willingness to stop pursuit in favor of self preservation and has an unknown ability to escape that has allowed it to elude us so far. As far as its size, well...

...Princess Luna compared Misty's nightmare to mine. The Snow Shark is growing in size and power since I last encountered it. It is as if it's aiming to become the bigger fish. So to speak."

"I'd almost say the base idea had merit with the problem being Night Cap's destination. I wonder if...
...hmm."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"What I had heard of you put you in a better light than the pony before me who thinks of himself as invincible. But I'd rather see you live up to that than have that beast prove you wrong. As far as an artifact, it would be lovely if it were as simple as that but I have my doubts. Ms Iron, do you know of any artifacts that might aid the Snow Shark?" "Off the top of my head I'd say the Wand of the North Wind but it's suitably detained. I'll have to look into other possible artifacts that might be unaccounted for."

Much farther north, Maplejack and Snowy Skies spot a sleepy little town as the sun sets. A nod from Plainclothes alerted them to what they likely already assumed--they had arrived at Bitka. It was...quiet. A musicless silence as if the whole town were holding its breath. "It's been a long trip. We'll need to get to an inn so we can get things situated first thing in the morning."

Home.

Like so many small towns, Bitka hadn't changed much over the years. The roofs were still steep. The street signs were still eight notes. "I know a place." Snowy says. There was only one inn in town, though Domino might already know that. Snowy still didn't trust him one bit, but he had to admit, he was happy to be here. He hadn't realized how comforting this would all feel.

He leads the group through the streets, past the ice cream parlor and around the woodworking shop until they reached the quaintest old house anyone had ever seen. From the soft lavender color of the paint on the walls to the prim little flower garden out front, The six-story building looked like something out a Normane Rockwell painting. As they walked up to the porch, Snowy wove a small illusion, drawing a patch of fur over his cutie mark and replacing it with some thick clouds. As he steps through the doorway, a bell chimes, and a pale lavender unicorn in a flour-stained apron gusts into the room. She moves like she could lose contact with the ground at any moment, and her voice comes out in short, energetic bursts as she greets them. "oh-Hullo! Hullo, und Welcome to-the-fluffy Cloud! will-you-be--" An angrier chime goes off, and she whips back into the kitchen, wafting back into the room with a tray of steaming cookies. "Susorry, Susorry for-the-interruption. the Cookies must-be Taken out-at Joost the Right Time. will-you-be Staying the Night?"

"Yes. Just one night, I believe. Can you fit us all in one room?" Snowy didn't want to let Domino out of his sight, and as long as the top room was unoccupied...

"Of Curse! Of Curse, the-top-room Is Joost the-right-size For three. my Husband will-be-here Shortly to-take-your Bags. would-you-like-a Cookie?" As might be expected, the cookies were as light and fluffy as could be. Soon a navy blue earth pony comes downstairs, trading a silent nod with his wife before collecting their keys from behind the desk. "Bags, Please." is all he says as he politely collects the party's luggage. "Follow, Me." Is all they get before he leads them up the cramped (yet pleasant-smelling) staircase that leads to the upper floors, somehow balancing all their luggage across his broad shoulders. All they hear from him on the trip up is "Bathroom," and "Fire, Escape," as they pass the relevant doorways, and upon reaching the room he simply sets down their luggage, hands Snowy the keys, and says "Please, Enjoy." Before closing the door behind them.

The room is painted a pleasant shade of dark blue, and is furnished with two twin beds, a couch (which Snowy remembers folds out into a third bed), a table painted to resemble a carnation (with some sturdy-looking chairs), and a kitchenette. Most importantly, at the far end of the room was a circular window that overlooked half of Bitka. You could even make out the remains of the Flute and Viola manors on the two hills next to the city. After taking a long, wistful look out the window, Snowy turns to Domino. "Welcome back, I'd assume." He says. "What happens tomorrow?"

Maple was half way done licking the crumbs off her lips- from the cookie she inhaled ...it was very good, before she noticed Snowy's cutiemark was different while climbing the stairs.

After the quiet earth pony left them alone... Maple set to work pulling out the sofabed, this was a model she was very familiar with. Whether it be the fanciest or the dingiest stop on her Equestria spanning trip ... this was the most common piece of furniture she'd ever seen.

well besides leaves and rocks, but she wasn't going to have to sleep outside this time.

"That was a very good cookie, I wonder if she used any local ingredients... there was something scrumptious I couldn't exactly place? ...any sort of plants around here that we don't have back in town?" Maple asked... her eyes narrowing as she looked at Snowy... Overcast Skies. ...Secret identities eh?

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"It is a variant of the Snow Shark's usual hunting. Outside of the usual senses of sight, smell, and the like, it seems to have a sense of vengeance. This is usually directed at me due to protecting Warning Sound but at times it gets directed at others who help those in need. In this case, Misty was attacked because she helped me."

Plainclothes calmly replied, "There's a few ways we could go about this. It would be faster with the two of you splitting up and me leading Maple where she needs to go. I'm sure you know where Flute Manor is. Alternately, we could all stick together and handle Maple's business first, then your's. What would you prefer?"

"We stick together." Is Snowy's immediate response.

"Very well, together it is. You okay with this arrangement, Maple?"

"I wouldn't want my... whatever it is, to take precedence over what we actually came here for... but I'm fine with whatever you two decide to do."

Amaroq opted not to comment as she noticed Night Cap slide away and instead replied with, "I don't know of any bait. I do know that it is easier for me to find it after it shows up in Warning Sound. But I'd hate to put an innocent in danger." Tangerine Sands spoke up. "I'd be willing to volunteer for that role. Though it might require me to trek and travel to Warning Sound along with the expedition, I took this job to protect ponies. Furthermore, I was pondering and contemplating that as a creature of nightmare, it might possibly be used to the depths of the dreamlands but as a creature of wintry oceans I doubt it would be as used to the scorching desert. This might make my mind a better battleground or possibly get it more prone to follow where you want it to go."

"While I had concerns about making sure we met the family before they left, I'm sure things will be fine if Snowy's business is handled first. Well, I'm going to get some rest. Top bunk or bottom?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple looked ridiculously small on the folded out sofabed, she could have easily slept on the couch in couch mode - however, the added room made it less likely for her to roll over and fall off while she slept. Many Pegasus ponies have seriously damaged their wings in sleep accidents, which is why most tend to sleep on nice soft clouds... unfortunately, Maple's weather crafting ability ... was non-existent levels of bad.

as she drifted off to sleep thinking about weathercraft her thoughts naturally turned to Misty dancing with her on clouds as a light rain sprinkled on their coats ...

wouldn't that be a wonderful dream? she thought before sleep took her.

Dream Sequence.

Spoiler

"It can be near impossible to find when it doesn't want to be found but...I've only ever seen it disappear by diving underwater so this just might work. Otherwise, you might need to be secondary bait Night Cap and follow through with your original destination. You'll need to stand by so it will try to give chase."

"I don't think I'd choose to word it like that since it may still be able to do damage but I guess you're right. Anything else on the agenda? If not, I have patrols to attend to."

Amaroq opted not to comment as she noticed Night Cap slide away and instead replied with, "I don't know of any bait. I do know that it is easier for me to find it after it shows up in Warning Sound. But I'd hate to put an innocent in danger." Tangerine Sands spoke up. "I'd be willing to volunteer for that role. Though it might require me to trek and travel to Warning Sound along with the expedition, I took this job to protect ponies. Furthermore, I was pondering and contemplating that as a creature of nightmare, it might possibly be used to the depths of the dreamlands but as a creature of wintry oceans I doubt it would be as used to the scorching desert. This might make my mind a better battleground or possibly get it more prone to follow where you want it to go."

"While I had concerns about making sure we met the family before they left, I'm sure things will be fine if Snowy's business is handled first. Well, I'm going to get some rest. Top bunk or bottom?"

"Bottom bunk." Snowy replies. Surely he would wake up if Domino tried to climb out of bed in the middle of the night, right?

Snowy was exhausted. He had gotten the minimum amount of sleep to function the night before, and a taxi cab wasn't exactly comfortable. But now that he was in Bitka, little memories kept coming back to him. 'Stealing' cookies from the Fluffy Cloud's windowsill, making patterns in the snow with friends...he had built up Bitka in his head as this terrible place where the Viola family had tried to mold him into a musical savant, but the town had never been like that. Maybe his family had just been royally messed up. Assuming he made it out of this in one piece, maybe this could join Petrichor Falls on his vacation destination list. It was quite nice, all things considered...

Eventually, Snowy drifts off to sleep.

Dream Sequence.
Spoiler

Maple woke with a start. Something was wrong... the dream wasn't making any sense -it was never that choppy... Turning back over, she twirled a curl of her mane with a hoof... I must be more worried about this than I thought. Slowly Maple drifted back to sleep, The nightmare stayed away this time... she guessed it just wanted one more chance to get her confused before she learned whatever truth was about to be revealed...

Top Bottom