[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I--no, it's--" Snowy shakes his head, though that does little to clear it. The words just start coming. "Today I tore a hole in the fabric of reality to save a pony I barely know, and I feel some sort of connection to them that I can't explain, and I had to stop Rhapsody from ruining everything, and I met Princess Celestia, and she's beautiful and terrifying all at once, and I think it's something like love but I know that won't work, and Misty's in the hospital, andandand..." Snowy was shaking, but he didn't notice because his head was spinning. "I'm at my limit," He confesses. "Everything that I could accept an hour ago is just, just ridiculous now. And now y! ou show up, and..." He takes a shaky breath. "I don't have the willpower to set aside the question of why you're being so nice to me, but I simultaneously don't have the energy to answer the question. So I don't know if I can do this." He holds up a quaking hoof. "Please don't hug me. It'll only make things more confusing."

Maple's face went slack, there were so many things in Snowy's ...expulsion of thoughts.
The Princess was here ... have they found me?
Misty's in the hospital,
no hugs,
other dimensions,
the team did a mission without her
Misty's in the hospital

"You're having a crisis Snowy, and I can't stay - I need to get to the Hospital..."
Maple takes her watch off of her hoof and slides it to Snowy.
"You did a lot of important things today Mr. Skies, but you've lost the beat of your song... this might help you find it, watching the second hand always helps me calm down my pulse after I have a nightmare about the Princesses murdering my family... it might help you in the same way."

Maple did what he asked and didn't hug him... turning and taking to the sky she knew in her heart he would find his rhythm.

Snowy contemplates the watch. As the second hand goes round and round, his shaking subsides. Eventually, he closes his door and sits down at the table, still following the tick-tock of the watch. He falls asleep just like that, and wakes up when his head hits the table. Groggily, he heads for bed and lies down to get a proper rest. Did the museum offer personal days? What would he even do on a personal day?

Snowy Skies heard a knock on the door and wordlessly arose to open it. He saw a green, earth pony stallion who wore a domino mask, a matching fedora and tie in the shade of vanilla ice cream, and wore a charm bracelet on his wrist. With a stern expression, the stallion looked Snowy Skies directly in the eyes and said, "Smooth Scales, we need to talk."

Why is this masked stallion addressing Snowy Skies with a completely different name? Tune in next time folks for more of the Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour!

*static crackle*

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple wandered the halls in the hospital, the desk nurse gave her directions to Misty's room... but it was late and she didn't want to rush in and risk waking her.

Arriving at the door, Maple softly pushed it open and stood there as it shut quietly behind her.

Maple slid a chair close to the bed and watched Misty rest.

Snowy Skies heard a knock on the door and wordlessly arose to open it. He saw a green, earth pony stallion who wore a domino mask, a matching fedora and tie in the shade of vanilla ice cream, and wore a charm bracelet on his wrist. With a stern expression, the stallion looked Snowy Skies directly in the eyes and said, "Smooth Scales, we need to talk."
Deep inside, some part of Snowy shouted, 'NOW?! NOW?!!!' but its protestations were swallowed by a fog of apathy.

Snowy simply says. "Sure, come in." he steps back from the door and scoots around the table, sitting down on the piano bench and mutely offering the kitchen's lone chair to his guest. "Close the door behind you." He adds, as an afterthought.

The stallion nodded and gently closed the door after entering. After sitting down he said, "Sometimes it's odd to find what you're looking for. To keep things simple, I was somewhat hired by A Sharp. He wants to end the feud but to do that, he had to verify that you survived. And it seems like through it all, you have. I'm not immediately asking you to travel. I'm just sitting here, in front of an heir of tragedy, to find out if he's willing hear out a former family rival."

Snowy's mind was spinning so intensely he thought he might just pass out at the table. A Sharp was alive? He had been crushed under a grand piano. And yet, Snowy had seen him stalking the corridors of Viola mansion three days after the funeral, the night it burnt down. Had that not been a dream? What was he doing there? Had he really set the fire? What was going on.

On the conscious side of things, Snowy's brain was slowly picking back up, but for now he was blissfully unaware of his own tumultuous thought process. He simply comments, "You don't look much like a private detective."

"That's fair. I do things a little differently desipte similar intentions. You hire a detective. Me? Well, there's fat cats out there who expect every silken meow to lead to a platter of milk and sometimes you need a pony who knows how to show them that justice isn't a bribable chew toy. He seemed to genuinely want to set things right so instead of his money I sought his word. He strikes me as the kind of pony who won't break promises. Maybe insult you or rough you up...but not go back on his word."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy's mind was reeling. Literally nothing made sense.

Snowy stares at Domino(his nickname for the odd pony) with a vague expression on his face. Just when it seemed likely that he had fallen asleep with his eyes open, he says "This is a lot to process. And I have had the worst night since...well, since that. Is there some way I can contact you in a few days?"

The stallion seemed to be trying to gauge Snowy Skies, then calmly scribbled a note. "Meet me tomorrow in this meeting room in the The Silky Sheen Hotel at 8:30 AM sharp. I will be gone by 8:31. When you go to the front desk and ask about the meeting room, say you're going to give them a piece of advice. It's the same advice I'm about to give you: 'Stay safe and stay sane'." The stallion then let himself out.

Snowy contemplates his door for a few minutes after Domino leaves. The only thought he could pin down in his head was that the pony was undeniably, irrevocably, odd. And that was definitely not a term that he used lightly.

His head was suddenly so empty that he didn't even need to shake it to clear it. All he needed was sleep, especially if he was going to be up so early tomorrow. He stumbles back to his bed, casts a spell, and falls asleep before his head hits the pillow.

The Persistent Alarm spell he cast manifests itself as a soft violin solo, waking him up instantly. It was 6:00, just when he wanted it to be. He drew a modicum of strength from the fact that even at his worst, he still controlled his magic so well.

As things stood, the sun would be up in half an hour. He had a lot to do.

Maplejack found that Nurse Nightheart had checked on her in the night due to the spare pillow tucked under her head in the chair she was sitting in. She didn't remember dozing off but it might have been the best for her to calm her mind, even if just temporarily.

Spoiler

The sun just over the horizon. Snowy sat on the riverbank, chewing on a sweet roll and staring at the water like he could scry the answers to his problems. Never mind that scrying required still water.

He already knew what the right answer was. He'd run away from Bitka because he'd thought that there was no way he could ever make things right. There had been no one left to apologize to, he thought. But now A Sharp was alive, and he was saying he wanted to make things right. Never mind that he was supposed to have died three days before any of this had happened. Never mind that he had just effectively come back from the grave twice. A Sharp thought he would be the one apologizing, but maybe they could both just...trade forgiveness. So for his own sake, Snowy needed to go with Domino.

Now he just had to convince himself of that. This entire situation terrified him. Domino thought he was an innocent bystander in all of this; his perspective could reverse if he found out the truth. A Sharp may have burned down his house; he could be planning to end the feud once and for all. A Sharp, prepared as he was to receive a child of war, might not be happy to learn he was actually meeting the conquering champion. Going all this way only to lose his last chance at absolution was probably the scariest possibility of them all.

Snowy hated being paralyzed by fear. He needed a push, something to push him in the right direction. Or maybe somepony...

Snowy quickly stood up and swallowed the last of his sweet roll. He knew exactly where he was going.

The hospital staff had been very helpful, despite the early hour. Of course, their shift had started at 6, almost an hour ago, so they were probably used to bizarre morning visitors. As quietly as he could, Snowy knocked on Misty's door, then let himself in, moving to sit next to a Maplejack that looked to only be about a quarter of the way awake. "How is she doing?" He whispers.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple smiled, "Thank you for asking Snowy... she's been resting comfortably as far as I can tell..."
"Is there something you wanted to see me about? OrWere you hoping Misty was awake?"

Spoiler
Sunbean,Zam

Snowy looks considerably better than he did last night. His hooves are steady and his eyes are focused. But his breathing is still shaky, and his words lack their usual confidence. "I need to ask a really big favor. I have to go...on a journey, and everything about it scares me. When I get scared...I don't always make good choices. But I have to go. It's really important. It's...possibly the most important thing I've ever done. So I need someone around to keep me on the straight and narrow." He takes a deep breath. "...I know where we are right now. I know you'd hate to leave Misty's side. But could you please, please, come with me on this trip? I don't know if ! I can do it without you."

It was late/early and she hadn't even meant to 'scan' Snowy... but this? this was...

"Okay." Maple touched her hoof the the side of Misty's face and then got to her feet on shaky legs... her joints were stiff and her back had almost molded itself to the shape she'd been in since she got here.

"Do I have time to leave her a note?"

Snowy gives Maple a tired smile. "Give me some credit. Just be at the Silky Sheen hotel at 8:15. That's a little over an hour from now. And pack...two days of stuff. That should be enough." Snowy heads for the door, but stops. "Maple? Thank you," he says without looking back.

"an hour.. okay."

Maple sinks back down into her spot... adjusting her legs so they don't cramp up again right away.

"Plenty of time..." Maple says as she uses a wing tip to brush Misty's mane back over her eyes. Digging a few glazed caramel coated Coffee Cocorocka out of her nearby saddle bag, Maple popped them in her mouth as she nuzzled her head back down on the pillow.

In a few minutes, she would write her note for Misty, and say good morning to the nurses on her way out.

Spoiler
Patchy

Maple left her note on the nightstand next to a small sack of sweets. Maple closed the door quietly and left the hospital after thanking Nurse Nightheart and the other nurses.

Gathering up some supplies, including her remaining first air kits... Maple left another note for Miss Sweet and then left home. Arriving at the entrance to the hotel Maple Saw Snowy sit down ...and walked over to help him with this as best she could.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy beckons Maple over, then approaches the front desk. "I'm supposed to give you a piece of advice: stay safe and stay sane." Snowy was dramatic by nature, but surely he had never concocted a scheme this corny, right? It couldn't be this bad. "Could you please let me into meeting room 7?"

"Right this way. And if you're intending to stay after your meeting, know that every paying guest gets a complimentary mane brushing." The receptionist led them to the meeting room, then closed the door after they entered. The masked stallion was seated at the end of a table and was about to speak to Snowy Skies until he spotted Maplejack and froze. There was a mix of shock and confusion on his face. "How are...I found you already, how are you here?"

It was early, Snowy was putting himself under a lot of stress, and he didn't want to deal with Domino's grip on reality any more than he had to. "You're making even less sense than usual." He says tartly.

"What are you talking about? I always make sense," he said as he swiftly regained composure. "A while back there was a missing pony case circulating up north. There weren't many clues but it lingered in the back of my mind. Recently, I found the filly in question and returned her to her mother. So what I want to know is why the mare from miles away is in this room right now."

Maple looked from one face to the next and then down at the one in her locket...

"You found... me and... My Mom... and... But I've never seen you before?"

Maple sat down.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Let me ask you a question. What was the best birthday you ever had? What was the worst?"

Maple looks at Snowy, tears beginning to well up in the corners of her eyes. She's had no sleep, Her very best friend in the whole world was hurt, and in the hospital... and alone now that Maple was here... and now some strange pony says she's already been reunited with her family... "You said you needed my help..." was all she could say to Snowy Skies, before looking back to the Pony questioning her...

"I can't remember when that even is."

"Hmm." The stallion pondered for a moment and his expression slightly softened. "It seems I have an unsolved case. The family I mentioned is visiting relatives in the same area as we were already headed. I think if you come along, we can finally clear all this up. You were here for your friend but this trip seems like it'll be something for you too."

Maples tears turned from confusion to joy, as she leaped through the air (with the aid of a few wing flaps) and landed/hugged this strange pony all in one combined tackle-tumble hug.

"I can't believe this is happening! ... all my searching, and now just 'poof'. Thank you for asking me to come with you Mr. Skies... whatever answer waits for me, I have you to thank."

...Maple wipes a tear off her cheek with a feather and then motions for Snowy to come join the hug...

Spoiler
Zam, Sunbeam

The stallion smiled and returned the hug. "This is what I like to see. Hugs are a currency that should be traded on an even exchange rate in the economy of life. I hope we can find the answers you're searching for."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Irritated but intrigued, Snowy had watched the exchange with interest. Now he gladly moved into the hug, glad that Maple was getting something out of this...and quietly hoping that it would turn out to be something that she wanted.

After the hug, the stallion pulled out a business card. "Here's the address of the taxi that will be taking us to Bitka. It'll be slower than the train but lower profile. My work goes better if I limit the number of unsavory types who know I exist. It makes the times I do reveal myself much more effective. I'll be there shortly and then we'll be off."

Spoiler

"Okay, so um, before we go... My name is Maple, and what should I call you Mister?" Maple asks, realizing there weren't really any introductions. ..Though she was a bit Frazzled by all of this... she wasn't going to ask Snowy why he wanted her to come along... in case it was something this new pony didn't need to hear.

"You can call me Plainclothes."

"Nice to meet you Mr. Clothes!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Elsewhere, Misty Monsoon awoke to a comfortable hospital bed and a nurse nearby. Stiffness remained but her body felt far better than it did previously. The telltale scent of candy was an immediate sign Maplejack had been there even before seeing the note. As the nurse stepped out to bring back a meal, a different head poked into the room. Pendulumnae asked, "Misty? Was just getting a routine check up and saw you in here. What happened?"

Within the Astronomy Department, Rhapsody was working on some routine morning tasks until Bold Standard walked up with a clipboard. "Good morning! I'm here for an inter-office survey and perhaps for a friendly chat before we're open. I may need your help."

Rhapsody looked up from her tasks, nothing that couldn't actually be put on hold for a bit to talk... but then it was the marketing guy that sounded like he was from a bad comic books with all the weird and random emphasis on words. Why did writers do that? "How about you come back when your SURE you need my help?" She says, trying to mimic the way he talks before going back to her tasks.

Static's ears perk as he hears a faint groaning. His ears pin back in fear as he sees Trade Wind in pain.

[No! Not another one! Please not another friend I've failed!]

He runs over to the table to look Trade Wind over. "Trade Wind? What happened?"

[Go find Night Cap, now!]

[Hold on! Calm down. See if there's any obvious signs that can tell you what happened.]

Spoiler

As far as Static Signal could tell, Trade Wind didn't have any bruises on him. Trade Wind continued to moan, "Ooohh Staateeek, it huuurts."

Bold Standard temporarily looked confused but shook it off and continued, "Oh no, it's very important. Besides, everypony loves a good survey. First up, what's your favorite breakfast?" Bold Standard had a bright and cheerful smile.

Static gently picked up the breezie and placed him on his back. He walked carefully so as not to let Trade Wind fall off his back. "Relax and try not to move. I'll find Night Cap. He's been getting some medical training. He'll fix you up. Can you tell me what happened?"

Static left the room and headed to Ready Quill's office. He should know where Night Cap is.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Bold Standard temporarily looked confused but shook it off and continued, "Oh no, it's very important. Besides, everypony loves a good survey. First up, what's your favorite breakfast?" Bold Standard had a bright and cheerful smile.

Rhapsody huffs softly and looks back to Bold Standard. This could very much end up biting her in the flank... but there was a potential loop hole out of this. "So, can SCIENTIFICALLY verify that this is in fact a good survey? Afterall, it would be FALSE advertising to claim that this is a good survey, only for me to find it was in fact not A good one at all and have your visit ruined by subpar survey." She says, continuing mocking Bold's way of talking.

Just as Static Signal began to leave, Dusty Winds entered the room. Looking around, she spotted Trade Wind. "Where is... *sigh* ...I see he's still in here."

"Oh yes. While some ponies may argue that it is not the most important meal of the day, research indicates that breakfast has a positive affect on growth and mood. It's also been noted that a lot of our most productive staff have regular breakfast. This information can allow us to budget possible catering to each department on special occasions."

"Dusty!" Static exclaims with relief as he sees the pegasus enter. "Thank Luna you're here! He's in pain. I don't know what happened. I just came in and he was on that table in pain. I was just about to go try find Night Cap and see if he can't figure out what's wrong with him. Have you seen him?"

"Oh yes. While some ponies may argue that it is not the most important meal of the day, research indicates that breakfast has a positive affect on growth and mood. It's also been noted that a lot of our most productive staff have regular breakfast. This information can allow us to budget possible catering to each department on special occasions."

"You are dodging the question." Rhapsody says; the pot calling the kettle black, in this case. "Importance IS a totally different quantifiable aspect then good. Something can be good AND unimportant, just like something else could be TERRIBLE but important. However Importance isn't what was claimed to be ENJOYED, it was claimed that this is a good survey, and instead of proving if it is or not, you BAIT and switch which further implies that this isn't a good survey and that YOU know it, but are still trying to inflict it on me."

"Haven't seen Night Cap yet but I know what's up with Trade Wind. I had a top secret hidden stash of Quintuple Peanut Butter Oat Surprise and he saw me fixing a milkshake. I dilute it with vanilla ice cream since that stuff is strong but mister brave here wanted it direct. I let him have a bite and I guess he's still reeling." Trade Wind clutched his stomach. "Whyy moost someteeng that teeestes so good hoort so baaad?"

Bold Standard was shocked. "Inflict? Survey's are wonderful things! Sometimes one survey may not get enough information but then that gives you the information for another. I had hoped to get this done early so I wouldn't take up too much of your time.

Should I just list you as 'non applicable'?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Bold Standard was shocked. "Inflict? Survey's are wonderful things! Sometimes one survey may not get enough information but then that gives you the information for another. I had hoped to get this done early so I wouldn't take up too much of your time.

Should I just list you as 'non applicable'?"

Rhapsody huffs and shakes her head. "Fine." She states, dropping her mimicking of Bold's way of talking. "I don't really have a preference for breakfast."

"I was thinking of just giving him a sick day. Though I guess the antacid might work too. Since this affected him so much, I'm surprised he got all the way over here." "I really neeeded to telll Stateek soometeeng..."

Bold Standard quickly scribbled onto the paper. Then set the clipboard on her back. "Thank you very much. I have another question but it's not work related. Though I think you might be the best to answer. But I have! a question before I ask my question: Do you like comic books?"

"You can tell me on the way to get you that antacid," Static said, placing Trade Wind on his back again. He turned back to Dusty before leaving. "You want to come with? I'm not sure exactly how much to give him. I'd hate to trade one problem for another by giving him too much."

[Please don't puke all over me!]

Bold Standard quickly scribbled onto the paper. Then set the clipboard on her back. "Thank you very much. I have another question but it's not work related. Though I think you might be the best to answer. But I have! a question before I ask my question: Do you like comic books?"

"Why would you think I'd be the best pony to answer your question?" She asks and then shrugs a bit. "They hold some appeal to me." She says, down playign her answer.

Static would have loved to stop and chat with Melon Hide. But he was already putting off work getting Trade Wind his antacid. He had a job to get back to. He still waved and called out to him. "Good morning, Mr. Hide. Maple already giving a tour?" He noted she wasn't standing by her usual spot, and it certainly wasn't like her to be late.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static sighed.

[I guess that means she's found out about Misty.]

[Should probably visit her after work today.]

Static smiled and nodded, not knowing what to say.

He bought some antacid and broke off a small piece for Trade Wind. "Actually, probably half that?" he asked Dusty. "What're the side effects for OD'ing on antacid?"

[They're going to have to start making this in breezie sized packs.]

"Yeah, half. Better too little than too much."

Static cut the piece in half and handed it to to Trade Wind. "There ya go, buddy. That should have you back to right in no time." Static chuckles a little as he looks down at the rest of the bottle of Antacid. "Quintuple Peanut Butter Oat Surprise!" he says with another chuckle. "You know, Skivey let me have some of that not too long ago. Two scoops and I was on the floor groaning in pain all night! And I'm a pony who ate at Skivey's before he turned the place around. Amazing stuff!"

"Ouch. With all of the bad stuff happening to other ponies, I almost feel bad about something good that happened to me recently."

Elsewhere, Misty Monsoon awoke to a comfortable hospital bed and a nurse nearby. Stiffness remained but her body felt far better than it did previously. The telltale scent of candy was an immediate sign Maplejack had been there even before seeing the note. As the nurse stepped out to bring back a meal, a different head poked into the room. Pendulumnae asked, "Misty? Was just getting a routine check up and saw you in here. What happened?"

"Wow, hi Pendulumnae! I totally did not expect to see you here!" Misty exclaims. "What happened... well, a giant monster shark made of snow and ice tried to freeze me to death while I was sleeping. Pretty crazy, huh? But I'm getting better."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I was walking by the comic shop and saw you in there. Didn't know if you were buying for yourself or a friend. I figured that if it were for yourself, it would be great to talk to a coworker about it."

Rhapsody hehs softly. "So what, you just use the Survey nonsense to try and break the ice so you can gab about comics?"

"Well, Trade Wind and I did kinda bring it on ourselves," Static said with an easy smile. "That Quintuple Peanut Butter Oat Surprise has quite a punch. Why? What's, going on with you, Mr. Hide?"

"Wow, can't say I've seen anything quite that crazy. Glad you're okay.Wish I could help but crazy ice sharks sound out of my league."

"The survey isn't nonsense. But I did figure I could polish two crystals with one cloth by bringing the survey along."

"I went on a date with Hazel. It was actually the first date ever for both of us."

"You and Ms. Naught?" Static exlaimed, grinning ear to ear. "Simply capital!"

[...]

[Simply capital?]

"Uh...I mean, that's great! Congratulations...both of you."

"The survey isn't nonsense. But I did figure I could polish two crystals with one cloth by bringing the survey along."

"Yeah, you just keep telling yourself that..." Rhapsody muses under her breath. "So, then what is it you really want to talk about then?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Looking for feedback. My hero has an archnemesis named, Onyx Prism. She's a shadowy pegasus who flies around spreading her Rainbow of Darkness to change ponies evil and then eventually they turn into monstrous beasts. What I'm trying to figure out is if she should have a cape or not. The hero, Sparkling Griddle, has one but I don't know if that will help or hurt their comparative differences."

"Thanks. I took her to go see a wrestling! match. It was between the Fancy Finances and an out of town heel group, Fiscal Irresponsibility. They were really rude to the crowd and something they said got Hazel really riled up. I guess they mentioned an actual tax code but you'll have to ask her the specifics. I'll say, the Fancy Finances did a good job reworking their image. They ditched the starched manes and remixed their theme music a little. Finally, they renamed their techniques. When Fiscal Irresponsibility tried to sneak a wooden chair into the ring, the crowd cheered when the Fancy Finances landed their supposedly new tag team finisher, the 'Double Tax Return', and made the pin. All in all, we enjoyed ourselves."

Static tried to take in what Melon Hide was saying. But his mind got stuck on one thing...one thing that he just could not get past as hard as he tried. "Tag team wresting...with a financing theme? Static tried to wrap his head around the concept. "I...don't know what to make of that, Mr. Hide. I bet Ms. Naught had to have loved it though. I'm happy for you. Good news is always...well...good.

[Smooth!]

[:p]

Misty thinks for a moment. "Well, there's still something you could help me with, actually..."

"Looking for feedback. My hero has an archnemesis named, Onyx Prism. She's a shadowy pegasus who flies around spreading her Rainbow of Darkness to change ponies evil and then eventually they turn into monstrous beasts. What I'm trying to figure out is if she should have a cape or not. The hero, Sparkling Griddle, has one but I don't know if that will help or hurt their comparative differences."

At the mention of 'shadowy pegasus' Rhapsody glanced down at herself. "Not taking inspiration from Co-workers I hope..." She comments and then raises her eye at the hero's name. "Sparkling... Griddle?" She asks with a eye twitch.

"Well, spill. What is it Misty?"

"Yeah, I'm glad she seems to like me for just being myself. Well, looks like we should all be getting ready before we open." "C'mon Trade Wind. You're with me so you don't bug Static.

"What..? Oh no!" Bold Standard's coat dulled. "I would never use my comics to poke fun of my coworkers. I hate reading comics that look like they're based off somepony and think they're smart by being mean but are just a poorly written mess because they can't be bothered to make a real comic. I'd never do that. I'm sorry."

Scarlet Spectrum sat in front of Brisk Iron as their meeting concluded. She ended it by stating, "I need to step out but there's one last thing to attend to. Night Cap hasn't shown up to work yet. Go wake him up."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Yeah, I better go see what Mr. Quill has on the scedule for me today," Static said regarding Melon Hide. "You have a good day."

Static then turned his attention to Trade Wind and Dusty. "Hope you feel better soon," he said to Trade Wind more sincerely than he expected. "Thanks for your help, Dusty. Poor guy would probably still be in agony if you hadn't come around and told me what was wrong with him."

"I didn't mean anything by it, nor did I take offense to it. It takes more then that to get my ire up." Rhapsody says with a shrug.

"Glad to help.

Bold Standard's luster returned. "Great! So in your opinion, which option for the cape would be better?" Just then, Brisk Iron walked in. "Come with me Rhapsody, I need your assistance on something."

"You're gonna have to find me later." Rhapsody says to Bold as the chief requests her presence. "Such a topic is gonna require more time then a simple answer will be able to give you." She replies and then walks over to Brisk. "Something important come up this early?" She asks.

"Night Cap? No problem Chief."

For a few seconds, Scarlet hesitated.

"Uh, Chief? One last thing. I think Rhapsody might be under the impression that i 'replaced' Ms. Amber Spark on the team. Partly due to my arrival on the team unfortunately coinciding with Ms. Sparks departure, and partly because i took over her research on the puzzle. I'm going to try and talk to her about this soon. I just thought you should know."

Nodding to the Chief, Scarlet got up and headed off in search of Night Cap. He also made a promise to himself that he was going to try and talk to Rhapsody sometime today.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static walked back to the Documents Department to look over the schedule for the day.

Along the way he thought about Trade Wind. Of course he knew this bit of kindness wasn't going to magically make their relationship any less antagonistic. Heck! If not for Dusty giving him the stink eye, Static was pretty certain Trade Wind was about to say something mean while he was helping him.

Static couldn't help but chuckle. He wouldn't have it any other way. Trade Wind may be a pain in the rump, but he sure made things interesting.

Static wondered if this was just the start, what would the rest of his day be like?

Brisk Iron waved for Rhapsody to follow. "Technically, it's something that's been brewing for a while but boiled over. We're headed into the city. Would you rather walk or fly?"

Static Signal found that in the afternoon he would be on theater duty. The Luna footage from the previous night was sent off for duplication so there was only a limited allotment of time late morning for discussion of the documentary. In half an hour, there was some paperwork Accounted would be filing and then an unlisted department needed assistance with an undefined special project. But at the immediate moment, there was nothing directly assigned. After turning around, he surprisingly saw Ocean Dive standing there with a large box on her back.

"Well... I was wondering if you could teach me... how to be a wrestler. Not right now, of course! But, when I'm feeling back to normal, I'd love to come over to the gym and take lessons." Misty says enthusiastically. "I think wrestling's fun! I used to roughhouse with the colts on Butterfly Island when I was a filly. But after a while they started running away whenever I showed up..." She thinks for a moment, then sighs. "The biggest reason I want to do it, though... it's something that Maplejack really likes. So I want to give her the most ! super fun wrestling match she's ever had! I came up with the idea a while ago, but after ending up here, I decided that I really need to go ahead and do it. Because you never know when a giant snow shark is going to come between you and somepony you love...

...Did I just use the "L" word? Oh my gosh that's sooooo embarasssing! Haha!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"If its urgent, flying would be best since we'd get there the fastest."

Brisk Iron nodded and took to the air. "Within city limits was a hotel known as the Bubonic Inn. A fairly depressing little cesspool that was a blight on the town. After scouring the law books, I found a loophole that allowed me to buy the land and its property. I then shut it down and paid for the guests and employees to stay the night or get a job in other establishments. It's currently being torn down and in its place will be an observatory for ocean watching and star gazing.

The prior property owner, who isn't a town resident by the way, is attempting file a dispute. My actions are fully legal but Mayor Loss has still summoned me to make an argument in favor. I feel that you are more capable of promoting the benefits of the night than I am."

Static pursed his lips as he got an eye full of Ocean. "Umm...hey...Ocean! Need help with that? I...haven't seen Night Cap yet today. What's up?" Static walks over to help Ocean with her box.

Rhapsody takes wing shortly after the chief does. "Bubonic Inn, I think I've heard of that place." She comments. "A disgusting hive and one less place for low-lives to gather." She blinks as Brisk reveals why she's here though. "Surely anyone in my department would be just as good..." She says a bit humbly.[/FONT]

"On the contrary, you're really the only choice. I will be forever in awe of Princess Celestia. It was a defining moment of my youth and she's done a lot to aid the Keep. I have the utmost respect for Princess Luna...but it's not as personal. For you, it is. She's an important part of your lineage and you have a desire to show that ponies don't take her work for granted. Furthermore, you already fight for this city. The sparring's just going to be more verbal than physical this time."

Spoiler

Rhapsody blinks again nodding some, not sure she can find the words to fully respond that that... after a moment she just says. "I'll do my best."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I certainly can't argue with that. I may speak with the doctors and ask if I can assist with physical conditioning for your recovery. By the way, you have any ideas on what your ring name and persona will be?"

After the box was set on a nearby table, Ocean Dive said, "I spoke with my brother. It seems you're on the up and up, plus you did a lot for his diner so I'll tolerate you for now. He wanted to send you something as thanks and I owed him a favor."

As Brisk Iron and Rhapsody got closer, they could see the Bubonic Inn. Paint was chipped and moldy, several windows were shattered, the roof had holes in it, the sign was about to fall, and the front door looked like it had been kicked off its hinges. "Looks like they haven't even started demolition yet. I hate when construction crews loaf about." Nearby were some earth ponies and unicorns in hard hats doing stretches. In the air, pegasi in hard hats had made anvils out of compressed hail and were precariously balancing them on clouds as they waited for the signal to drop them.

Mayor Cranberry Loss was calmly waiting nearby. A few feet away was a pink pegasus with a briefcase whose nose was upturned in disdain once she looked at Brisk Iron and Rhapsody.

"They are probably being delayed by legal means, considering the nature of this meeting and that our opposition is already here with the Mayor. But really, from the looks of it, I could probably just level the whole place with a single buck. Heck, The whole place looks could come crumbling down if Night Cap bucked it... So I'm not really sure there will be much work for the construction crew in this first stage." Rhapsody says with a half chuckle.

Scarlet headed back to the warehouse apartments he and Night Cap stayed at, surprised himself at the earth ponies tardiness. He'd gotten the impression oretty quickly that although Night Cap was a coffee fuelled dreamwalker always battling to stay alert, he had--and most likely would--never deliberately be late for work.

Landing speedily, Scarlet found his door, and knicked hard on the one next to it.

"Night Cap? Wakey wakey dreamwalker!

Night Cap?"

Static's demeanor turned cautious as he tried to figure out how to reply. "There's things in my past I'm not too particularly proud of. I'll be honest, there's some of those nights I just flat out don't remember. But if I treated you particularly...distastefully...I'm truly sorry. I'm a different pony now, trying to put my past behind me. I hope you can believe that." He looked curiously at the box but figured that it would be better opened after Ocean left...or at least until after they were through talking things out.

"That's probably where I need your help the most. I'd really like to know how you came up with yours. You're so good at it! I was so shocked to find out that you were... you."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Night Cap, you alright in there? I mesn, you're kinds late for work buddy."

Scarlet reached for the door handle to see if it was unlocked.

"I'm coming in, ok?"

"I'm... I'm... I'm not in here."

Scarlet chuckled, but refrained from barging in. For now.

"Oh yes yes yes you are. Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Now, the Cj]hief Director sent me because you aren't where you're supposed to be. So open up."

"A lot of it is practice and getting comfortable. Well, and truly knowing your gimmick. I think it'll be easier if I give a demonstration. Pick a random concept for a gimmick. Doesn't have to be something you're planning, just some sort of job or hobby someone might have."

"A lot of those nights are a blur so I don't remember anything specific but I'm giving you a chance because of my brother.

To change things a bit, he's always thought Chicken Night was odd. Hmph, he's one to talk with his men! u and besides, it's a once a month thing. Food's a little different at other times. Though, you or his competition seem to be a good influence on him. I can't figure out the ingredient but wow. I was scared when said he'd sent you free coffee but it's good somehow."
"Somepony say free coffee?" Several others from the department suddenly looked in, prompting Ocean Dive to stand where her face couldn't be seen.

"Ah, you're here. This is a simple dispute. To start things off, Ms. Iron will state why she chose to purchase the property, the owner's representative shall make a counterpoint, and Ms. Iron's representative gets a response to that. If I need further discussion, it will continue until the best option is presented. You are not to interrupt each other when speaking. Brisk Iron, if you may..." When he motioned to her, Brisk Iron nodded and began. "As you know, I was born here and I seek to bring about this city's well being. An observatory will be an excellent way to promote the sciences. It will be something the citizens can enjoy and will help draw attention from out of town visitors who will bring their commerce here. Surely you see the worth in that."

The pegasus smirked as Cranberry Loss gave her permission to speak. "It is claimed that the observatory will bring more to the city but will it really? In being free, it won't directly bring its own revenue. The ponies who would likely use it are probably already scientists with permission to use the Keep's telescope. Also, Ms. Iron has some level of independent wealth, does she not? In allowing this, you're setting a precedent. What if some other rich pony tried to buy city hall, or a police station, or a hospital? Think about what that could lead to."

There was a lot of mumbling among the construction ponies with a few seeming to agree with the logic. The mayor motioned towards Rhapsody. "And your response?"

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static ducks and whispers to Ocean. "Careful saying the 'C' word around here. Honestly, it's like attracting a pack of dogs to a three-legged cat around here." He lifted his head back up to speak loud enough to the others. "Yes, I'd say bree and toffee would go great for a tea time snack." Static waited for the crowd to disperse and gave a patented stare to those who lingered. "Not to be rude...but...private convo. Do you mind?"

Static sighed and returned his attention to Ocean. "So, yeah, Skivey. I don't know how much he's told you. When I first moved here, I couldn't afford much. I couldn't cook anything past some frozen chimicherrychangas. So...he became my first friend. In fact, until I met...one of my ex-team mates...he was my only friend.

"So when my marefriend insisted on my learning to cook...and taught me a few recipes besides...of course I had to try to help Skivey out." Static couldn't help but shake his head and chuckle. "You know when I told him about a penne pesto pasta I'd been working on, that's when he told me about his three layer deep-fried butter!" Static sighed with a grin. "Still, I'm just glad he's gotten enough healthy menu items so that now he's not getting shut down every other month." His grin grew even wider as he regarded Ocean. "And look at you! Owner of your own establishment! It looks like we've all moved up in the world.

"Congratulations. It's a nice place you have. I'm glad you've got something that's yours now."

Static looked the box over. "My interest is piqued. Is it okay if I open it now?"

"Ah, you're here. This is a simple dispute. To start things off, Ms. Iron will state why she chose to purchase the property, the owner's representative shall make a counterpoint, and Ms. Iron's representative gets a response to that. If I need further discussion, it will continue until the best option is presented. You are not to interrupt each other when speaking. Brisk Iron, if you may..." When he motioned to her, Brisk Iron nodded and began. "As you know, I was born here and I seek to bring about this city's well being. An observatory will be an excellent way to promote the sciences. It will be something the citizens can enjoy and will help draw attention from out of town visitors who will bring their commerce here. Surely you see the worth in that."

The pegasus smirked as Cranberry Loss gave her permission to speak. "It is claimed that the observatory will bring more to the city but will it really? In being free, it won't directly bring its own revenue. The ponies who would likely use it are probably already scientists with permission to use the Keep's telescope. Also, Ms. Iron has some level of independent wealth, does she not? In allowing this, you're setting a precedent. What if some other rich pony tried to buy city hall, or a police station, or a hospital? Think about what that could lead to."

There was a lot of mumbling among the construction ponies with a few seeming to agree with the logic. The mayor motioned towards Rhapsody. "And your response?"

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rhapsody looked on and took a deep breath, shaking her head as she listened to the idiocy. Brisk wanted her because this was important, personal to her. The black pegasus knew how to bring all eyes and ears to her, she stamped a hoof to end the murmuring around them from the crowd. Her eyes peer to the other pegasus. "How small and fickle your mind must be to resort to grasping at straws so early in this discussion. Small minds like yours are exactly what we are trying to eliminate. Thinking of only the bottom line, and the most immediate effects; Always unable to see the bigger picture. I pity anyone that truly thinks this way, especially coming from another pegasus; if any pony should best have the ability to pull back and see the world at large, its us Pegasi being able to see things for miles around while were in flight." She then looks around to the rest of the crowd.

"Expanding minds, that's what this is all about. So lets start with this crowd. What we have here, is a chance to not only improve our town but to also bring the favor of another princess. Lets starts with what we already have. The Bubonic Inn: look at this place, it looks like it's about to fall down without the need to the Construction crews. Is this really the sort of image we want visitors to see? A Rickety hotel, where the owner can't even be bothered with uptake? A place the generates so many horror stories from those unfortunate enough to stay there? That's not helping this town, its scaring away anyone that comes here with legit business. If anypony doubts me, maybe we should move this inside and see if the interior is just as bad as the exterior?" When no pony seems to want to entertain that suggestion Rhapsody continues on.

"Just the removal of this blight would improve commerce to the town, but what Mrs . Irons proposes is so much better. A grand observatory, its not just about the sciences. Such a place can be a symbol. We lost Princess Luna long ago when she felt that no one appreciated the work she put into her nights. The vast majesty of the stars and the cosmos above, the phenomena that one can only observe when the sun goes down. All of this was lost on so many ponies, and even now its only improved minimally. The fact that ponies so long ago shunned her, and lead to her fall is blemish in our history. My family has spent ages trying to preserve her legacy. This is a chance to everypony here to show that we don't take her for granted, to show that we are all willing to open our eyes and minds to see what she has to offer. By having this Observatory, one of the scale and scope of Mrs Iron's vision, will attract the attention of the Night Princess. A free place for ponies to come far and wide to bask in her creations, charging for admission or its use would only diminish its value and likely make her think we only want to monetize the night sky, that we only care about what she does for us, if we can profit from it." But that was the thing wasn't it, how the opposition was trying to sway opinion. Bits talked, and she couldn't ignore that completely.

She says and closes her yes, taking a deep breath. "If you NEED to think of revenue for the city then just imagine how much tourism an observatory with Princess Luna's support would draw in. Giving an increase to commerce for the town, more ponies to stay in legit hotels that the owners actually care about and make sure are always a pleasant experience, more ponies spending money in shops or eating out at any of our culinary establishments. What revenue does the Bubonic Inn bring? Again, just look at the place. Its not someplace ponies come and see and thins 'I wanna stay there!' its a place for only those with no other options, and even then they could do SO much better. The Bit and Bridle for example, its only slightly better then staying in an actual barn, but its clean, its taken care of. The owners put pride in offering something for those that can't afford better lodging. We stand to gain nothing from letting this eyesore to remain standing, and loose so much potential if we do."

"So lets all step back, and see the bigger picture." Rhapsody states an spreads her wings, and slowly rises up in a show of pulling back, but remaining close enough to still be heard. "A picture of a better Callubustion, a picture where Princess Luna is proud of us, a picture where everyone is free to learn about any topic they desire."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Scarlwt almost snapped at the oddly contradictory earth pony. Instead, he took a deep breath and really thought about what Night Cap was (and could be) saying.

"if you're here, and not at the Keep, i assume the work you won't leave, is your dreamwalking. So tell me, what happened last night that has completely throwing aside your Day Job? What is so important?"

"The 'C' word is what's in the box. It's sealed up but you might want to wait before you open it, considering how your coworkers just reacted. I gotta go. I can't guess what he added to it and if you figure it out, don't tell me. I don't want to use his recipes since I want my place to be different. If your coworkers ask, um...just tell them Night Cap sent it." And as swiftly as she arrived, she was gone. Static Signal could smell the subtlest bit of coffee coming from the box that was sitting there.

The mayor was nearly moved to tears. "There's no way any rebuttal could counter such an impassioned argument. It is decided, Brisk Iron shall be the owner of this property!" Almost immediately, one of the pegasi dropped a hail anvil on the building and one of the earth ponies bucked the side, bringing the whole thing down. Then the demolition crew began clearing debris. The pegasus began to walk off but the mayor stopped her. "You're leaving your briefcase." "Oh, you can keep it. I'm headed to Petrichor Falls because I can't really return to my boss with this news." Cranberry Loss accepted it, then gave the briefcase to Brisk Iron. "I don't really need another briefcase so if you want it..." "Thank you. Rhapsody, if you could follow me please."

Brisk Iron flew to a nearby cloud and sat down. "First of all, I commend you. Princess Luna deserves this but I'm not sure I'd have the ability to make the same speech. However, I'm concerned. That mare isn't from here but she took the time to discover my wealth. More problematic is that she looked at the problems with the loophole. She was correct that while it would likely get revoked immediately, things like the hotel don't have protection from this. In fact, the only two things that do have protection are the Keep and Warehouse Number Seven since they're landmarks. Still, I'm glad all of this was taken care of. I need to go on an expedition and I'm likely bringing most of you along. Thing is, while it is official, it's more like a vacation. We all need the rest. Also, it's due to a celebration in the village from my father's journal so it needs to be followed up."

The mayor was nearly moved to tears. "There's no way any rebuttal could counter such an impassioned argument. It is decided, Brisk Iron shall be the owner of this property!" Almost immediately, one of the pegasi dropped a hail anvil on the building and one of the earth ponies bucked the side, bringing the whole thing down. Then the demolition crew began clearing debris. The pegasus began to walk off but the mayor stopped her. "You're leaving your briefcase." "Oh, you can keep it. I'm headed to Petrichor Falls because I can't really return to my boss with this news." Cranberry Loss accepted it, then gave the briefcase to Brisk Iron. "I don't really need another briefcase so if you want it..." "Thank you. Rhapsody, if you could follow me please."

Brisk Iron flew to a nearby cloud and sat down. "First of all, I commend you. Princess Luna deserves this but I'm not sure I'd have the ability to make the same speech. However, I'm concerned. That mare isn't from here but she took the time to discover my wealth. More problematic is that she looked at the problems with the loophole. She was correct that while it would likely get revoked immediately, things like the hotel don't have protection from this. In fact, the only two things that do have protection are the Keep and Warehouse Number Seven since they're landmarks. Still, I'm glad all of this was taken care of. I need to go on an expedition and I'm likely bringing most of you along. Thing is, while it is official, it's more like a vacation. We all need the rest. Also, it's due to a celebration in the village from my father's journal so it needs to be followed up."

Rhapsody briefly looks to the pegasus as she starts to leave, normally she'd probably not say anything... but after meeting Luna last night and this win with her speech, she was in a good mood and felt like she should offer the pegasus something... "If you need help, and with a line like that you probably do... Talk to Mayor Vine up there. You might have been planning that already, but We have something of a working relationship with her. So in a show of good faith, tell her Rhapsody advised you to speak with her; Maybe she can find you a better job where you won't have to worry about reporting bad news to superiors." Rhapsody wasn't sure if the pegasus was trustworthy, but at least was trying to be fair with her and she was pretty sure Grape Vine would be able to figure out if she was worth trusting or not.

Rhapsody nods to Brisk as she requests her to follow and lands across from her on the cloud she settles on. Rhapsody smiles some as Brisk commends her on the speech and nods. "On the note about that mare; part of me wonders if we should look in that briefcase. I suspect that Pegasus was working for some less-then-reputable faces. The briefcase might give us an idea of further opposition you could face, as I doubt this will be the end of it. If not, I'm pretty sure Grape Vine could get some information out of her, if she takes up my offer; so you can probably follow that up later on as well." Rhapsody suggests. "I do agree most the team does need a break, especially after that attack last night. I'm sure they well appreciate something lighter and away from their usual stresses."

Top Bottom