[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Yes, there's something wrong! She's a greedy treasure hunter who sent me to the hospital! I guess you didn't know but she's no good."

Static winced. "She said something about an accident and some injuries. I...didn't know you were there. Ms. Iron forgave her and hired her back on. She didn't make any attempts to say anything but that it was her fault. If it helps any.

"Forgiven? How is she supposed to be trusted? Just..."

Anchors Away began to swim away.

As ordered, Night Cap carried the equipment back and returned to the routine paperwork. Once again he began to think about his first aid training as if it was only yesterday. Granted, this particular memory was of yesterday. Nurse Nightheart was in her usual mood.
"Just because Ms. Away assisted yesterday, that doesn't give all of you reason to slack off. While I don't expect you to be sports stars, being in good shape will help in an emegency.

One lap around the hospital!

When you are done, there will be a three question pop quiz. Last one to finish has a FIVE question quiz instead."

Spoiler

"WAIT, ANCHORS!" Static rushed to put put a hoof on her shoulder to stop her from leaving, nearly plopping into the water for his effort. "Anchors, I'm on your side. You have every right to be mad at her. However you choose to go about this, I understand. It's just...all I ask is that you remember there was a time not too long ago when I needed a healthy dose of forgiveness myself.

"Well, this is kinda awkward..." Misty whispers to Amaroq.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Anchors Away sighed heavily as tears started to well up in her eyes. "That makes sense but...Oh Static, what am I supposed to do?"

Amaretto Swirl smiled. "That's where research comes in. If you bought several things, I'm sure you would learn more. Perhaps you should ask Melon. It would be a way to help out." Just then Hazel Naught turned the corner and frowned. Amaretto Swirl walked up and patted her on the head like one might do to a small foal they were talking down to instead of an adult of equal ranking. "For instance, I help bring money into the Keep, I have a wonderful husband, and two foals. Hazel here...has her math. I'm sure we all know our place in this organization." Hazel Naught, looking downtrodden, flew back around the corner. "I do hope this deal with Ms. Sweet goes well. It would be a shame not to ally ourselves with such a beloved business."

Static drew Anchors in for a hug. "Nothing," he whispered to her. "Come with us and say nothing. Let her get one eyeful of you and see how she reacts. I've seen how sorry she feels about what happened. I'd be willing to bet she'll break down apologizing before you could even say a word anyway. If not, I'm sure I can...prod her. Hear her out. When she's finished, if your moved to forgive her, great. If you're still angry and you just need to turn and walk away, I don't think anypony could blame you."

"Yes." Maple begins to wave hello to ms Naught... but then she was gone again. "That sounds very nice, I guess... if you're into that sort of thing. Please excuse me ma'am, I wouldn't mind checking in with Ms. Naught on a few important details." Maple Smiled, and moved to leave Mrs. Swirl where she was.

Savant Sard looked over the completed structure. "It looks wonderful...but what does it do?"

Anchors Away nervously climbed out of the water. "As long as you'll be there, I'll try."

As Maplejack turned the corner, she bumped into Plaid Paisley and knocked him over. "Hey-ow! Are you training for the Equestria Games or did you just really want to give hugs?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static affectionately nudged Anchors with a smile. "Like I'd be anywhere else!" Static then looked over to Misty and Amaroq. "Okay, shows over! Let's get going."

"Oh I'm so sorry Mr. Paisley ... I was just trying to catch up with Ms. Naught." Maple's face drooped when she registered his questions. "None of the events in the games run events in my weight class... other than flag waving... " Maple mumbled the last part. Flag waving was for foals like the ones she just had in her tour... not for an upstanding young mare like herself. She managed to stifle a *harrumph*
"But if you need a hug, sure... I did kinda just bowl into you."

Return to a room that was being used as the classroom for the first aid training, Night Cap was given his quiz. The first question was: What are the three key goals of first aid?

Spoiler

It wasn't too far of a distance from the canal to Splash Flaunt's repair shop. There weren't any other customers inside upon entering. Splash Flaunt was about to greet them but there was a long awkward pause once she noticed Anchors Away.

Plaid Paisley struggled to stand.
"Speaking of bowling, I might have to keep an eye out for you tonight. Why were you going so fast anyway?"

Great! Prodding it is!

Static walked over to Splash Flaunt and spoke in a hushed tone.

"Ms. Iron sent us to ask you for a favor sheltering an out of town vistitor in need of a place to stay. But first, I think you have something you really need to say to Anchors. I doubt it'll be as easy as Ms. Iron. But...nopony ever said rebuilding bridges was easy. Better bring your A game."

He gave Splash Flaunt a nudge to direct her over to Anchors.

"She ran into Mrs Swirl while Mrs Swirl was talking to me... and also I wanted to see how she's doing now that Amber left, I heard they were close and thought maybe she might be able to talk with Miss Rhapsody."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Night Cap found that the second question was: What does CPR stand for?

Plaid Paisley looked confused. "She ran into Amaretto? Weird, Hazel doesn't strike me as the running through the halls type. Neither of them got hurt, did they?"

Spoiler

"Sorry, bad choice of words. no they're both okay and only I was running... but um.. yeah." Maple shrugged.

Splash Flaunt figeted nervously for a moment before ssaying, "I...

You see...

*sigh*

A thousand apologies can't undo what I did...but I'm truly sorry for what I did to you. I let my zeal get in the way of my judgement and both of us paid the price. I know it won't be instant and I understand if you can't but I hope you can forgive me for what I did."

Anchors Away sat silently until saying, "Part of me is still mad at you...but part of me wants to put this to rest. It'll take time but if Static and Ms. Iron trust you, I'm willing to give it a try."

There was another awkward pause until Splash Flaunt said, "Wait, why would the Chief Director want me to shelter somepony?"

Static jerked his head back toward the door. "Something about you having the only place big enough...an island or something? Amaroq is still outside...mostly because...well...she wouldn't fit inside the shop. And she's not a pony..."

"We still need to meet with a Mr. Antler in the market after we're done here. But something tells me you two should probably take some time to speak things out,"
he says, looking between Anchors and Splash Flaunt. "Maybe tonight after work? I could make a basil pasta."

"I won't stay in the shop. I still need to let all of this set in."

"What do you mean she won't fit in the shop? What kind of..."
Splash Flaunt stepped out of the shop, only to be clearly surprised by Amaroq's presence. "Oh. Alright Static, explain to me the full situation at hand."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I won't stay in the shop. I still need to let all of this set in."
"Understandable. Why don't you walk with us to Mr. Antler's place in the market when we go? So...you know...if you need to talk about things while he and Amaroq do their thing..."

"What do you mean she won't fit in the shop? What kind of..." Splash Flaunt stepped out of the shop, only to be clearly surprised by Amaroq's presence. "Oh. Alright Static, explain to me the full situation at hand."
"Well, the short version? Amaroq comes from far...far up north from a town called Warning Sound. She was caught up in a really big storm and next thing she knew, she was here. She seems to know Zig Zag...and has met Night Cap. We're trying to find a way to get her back home...even help Warning Sound with some local trouble if possible. In the mean time, she needs a place to stay. Aaaaand...that's the short version."

"I guess so, Static."

Meanwhile, Splash Flaunt adjusted her goggles in amazement. "'The last stop before the top of the world.' Well, I guess it's safe to assume that this wasn't a normal storm if it carried her this far. I'd say she should hire a ship that's carrying cargo but that might not be the best option. I'm one of the few ponies I know who are acclimated to that kind of cold. It feels like the Keep's northern base or the Crystal Empire might be better suited for this despite the fact that they're landlocked. Actually...that just might be it. Instead of going by boat, take a train to the Crystal Empire then head north. Amaroq, have you ever been that far south?" "It was before their return but yes, I have." "Well then. If we send a Morse Code transmition ahead of time, Cadance and Shining Armor can be ready to greet Amaroq before she continues the rest of her journey. This will also establish communications so that while Amaroq will be safely back home, we'll have time to properly prepare for whatever that local trouble is."

Plaid Paisley smiled in relief. "Good to know they're okay. Both accountants and marketers are important you know."

Savant Sard looked over the completed structure. "It looks wonderful...but what does it do?"

Scarlet cocks his head as he looks at what he has built.

"I'm not entirely sure Ms. Sard. The rounded depression on the top would seem to imply that this could simply be a base for a globe or crystal ball. However, the reason i came looking for you was because i thought this might have some connection to the rode gold and alabaster puzzle squares that i've been working.
That is however, all supposition. I'm just guessing sadly.

Static sighed. He was doing that thing again where he was trying to juggle two conversations at once. He turned first to Anchors.

"I guess so, Static."
"We can talk more on the way to Mr. Antlers. Give me a moment to sort this out first, okay?" He then turned to Splash Flaunt.

Meanwhile, Splash Flaunt adjusted her goggles in amazement. "'The last stop before the top of the world.' Well, I guess it's safe to assume that this wasn't a normal storm if it carried her this far. I'd say she should hire a ship that's carrying cargo but that might not be the best option. I'm one of the few ponies I know who are acclimated to that kind of cold. It feels like the Keep's northern base or the Crystal Empire might be better suited for this despite the fact that they're landlocked. Actually...that just might be it. Instead of going by boat, take a train to the Crystal Empire then head north. Amaroq, have you ever been that far south?" "It was before their return but yes, I have." "Well then. If we send a Morse Code transmition ahead of time, Cadance and Shining Armor can be ready to greet Amaroq before she continues the rest of her journey. This will also establish communications so that while Amaroq will be safely back home, we'll have time to properly prepare for whatever that local trouble is."

"The Keeps northern base or Crystal Empire would both have their own advantages," Static mused. "I thought I read something in the reports about STOMP northern expedition about there being some sort of shortcut to the base. That could probably get us there faster. Of course, the political connections that could be gained going the Crystal Empire route shouldn't be underestimated either. Ms. Iron will have to make that decision though."

"Also, if you're more acclimated to the climate, you might want to volunteer for this detail...assuming your...zeal...has been tamed? Because...you know...just a minor correction on what Anchors said earlier, there's a difference between wanting to give a pony a second chance and...trusting them. That's something that's earned. This could be a step in that direction though."

Night Cap discovered that the third and final question was: Draw the recovery position.

Savant Sard pondered. "I'm getting the feeling that these gems and your puzzle pieces actually aren't connected. Perhaps we should recap what we know about all of this."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Yeah, you'd think they'd get along better." Maple's hoof leaped to stop her words, but it was too late... so much for trying not to be a gossip.

"Tonight? Well then, I guess we better get a move on! We're still supposed to meet with Mr. Antler and investigate where Amaroq came ashore! Thanks for your help. I guess we'll see you back at the Keep once we're done."

Static turned to Misty, Amaroq and Anchors. "Shall we?"

Note: I've updated Sunbeam's post with the altered version he PM'd me with.

Elsewhere, Rhapsody was also preparing for an incoming field trip but she had more time. Thankfully, Snowy Skies just walked in. He was assigned to assist so this would allow them to collaborate before the class arrived.

Spoiler
Snowy wasn't sure whether he was excited or apprehensive about this. On the one hand, it was a chance to spend time with Rhapsody, and he was making a definitive effort to spend more time with his friends. On the other hand, Rhapsody had been more and more distant since their return from the last mission. He suspected it had more to do with Amber than himself, but it still made communication difficult. But there was naught to do but try, and this assignment was a perfect opportunity. "Morning." He says as he walks through the door, still paging through the folder he had been found with his name on it. "So our story for the day is a pegasus who followed their lost lover into the stars? That hits...surprisingly close to home, around here." He looks up at Rhapsody. "Do you think someone put us together with this story for therapy or something?"

Spoiler

Rhapsody huffs, barely acknowledging Snowy's greeting nor presence. Like usual she seems to be busying herself with minor tasks inbetween actual jobs to 'remain busy'. "I think its a total coincidence and that there are better thing to do then filling kids heads with foolish tales." She states bluntly. "I don't see why Destiny Swirl couldn't be dealing with this tour, I got no time to deal with a group of bored foals that are only here because they think its better then staying in a classroom, thinking its some kind of vacation. So lets just get this over with quickly so we can get back to stuff that's actually important." She comments harshly still never actually bothering to look up from her meaningless tasks or even bother turning in Snowy's direction as he talks as if even he's not worth her time.

An outburst like that made Snowy wish for his old time spell, just to watch her squirm as the day stretched on to infinity. But he knew that making ponies eat their own words made for a terrible diet, and he supposed that technically he'd promised Steel Flint he wouldn't cast anything that invasive ever again, so instead he casually walks up behind Rhapsody and *baps* her on the back of the head with a hoof. "You're being obnoxious." He says, the picture of a pleasant neighbor. He had to admit, he was curious. "What important stuff? There's no new mission as of yet."

Rhapsody winces and then glares at Snowy at the bap, it didn't hurt or anything of course but it was still an annoyance and unwanted contact. "Unlike other ponies, I'm not here for socialization; I'm here to do my job and that's it. If I come off as obnoxious because of it, then maybe others will get the hint and leave. me. alone." She says punctuating the last few words. Rhapsody had previously been trying to be more open and friendly the past few weeks, but ever since Amber left she'd stop bothering, it no longer mattered to her. "The only reason I'm even bothering with you, is because of this tour. You want tell them your little fable, fill there heads with nonsense, go ahead. Maybe it will keep them quite and keep them from getting their grubby hooves all over everything in here and not bother me."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"The Amethyst Astrolabe? If its the right shape and size to fit, the it could be. Although that does raise a few more questions. Like why this wasn't stored with the Astrolabe, and why there wasn't even a hint as to the fact the gems weren't simply gems."

With a dissatisfied huffV Scarlet shook his head, giving Savant Sard a wry smile.

"Don't mind me. I have a tendency to expect mysterys, even if there may not actually be a mystery to be found. Guess its a product of growing up with adventurous parents, a little too much reading Daring Do, and a...slightly...obssessive need to solve puzzles."

With a low chuckle, Scarlet looked back at the jewelled base.

"Anyway. I guess there's omly one way to find out if they are connected. Do you know where the Astrolabe is now Ms. Sard?"

"Really? ... how strange, she seems really nice to me." Maple said, using her wingtips to get herself dusted off and straightened out as she got ready to head out at a slower trot.
"It was nice running into you XD ... again sorry about that, but unless there was something i could do for you?" Maple smiled and waited.

Rhapsody winces and then glares at Snowy at the bap, it didn't hurt or anything of course but it was still an annoyance and unwanted contact. "Unlike other ponies, I'm not here for socialization; I'm here to do my job and that's it. If I come off as obnoxious because of it, then maybe others will get the hint and leave. me. alone." She says punctuating the last few words. Rhapsody had previously been trying to be more open and friendly the past few weeks, but ever since Amber left she'd stop bothering, it no longer mattered to her. "The only reason I'm even bothering with you, is because of this tour. You want tell them your little fable, fill there heads with nonsense, go ahead. Maybe it will keep them quite and keep them from getting their grubby hooves all over everything in here and not bother me."

If Snowy was fazed this, he didn't show it. As jovial as can be, he slings a forehoof over Rhapsody's withers. "Rhapsody, I hate when ponies act like they know what's going on in my head, so I'm going to offer you the courtesy of not assuming I understand what you're doing right now. Instead, I am going to be cheerful, touchy-feely, and all-around insufferable until you tell me, in your own words, what's wrong with you." He hugs her closer. "Because something is definitely wrong, and we're going to find out what." He says happily.

If Snowy was fazed this, he didn't show it. As jovial as can be, he slings a forehoof over Rhapsody's withers. "Rhapsody, I hate when ponies act like they know what's going on in my head, so I'm going to offer you the courtesy of not assuming I understand what you're doing right now. Instead, I am going to be cheerful, touchy-feely, and all-around insufferable until you tell me, in your own words, what's wrong with you." He hugs her closer. "Because something is definitely wrong, and we're going to find out what." He says happily.

Rhapsody turns and slaps Snowy away with one of her wings, glaring daggers through the white unicorn. "What I am doing, you insufferable fool, is trying to work. I told you that point blank, or did your actions on your last mission have the side effect of also making you denser then Night Cap?" She says as she stamps a hoof with more strength then she probably intended as she cracks the tile, it never stood a chance against a mare that has a rep of breaking boulders. "Right now, what is wrong, IS YOU. I don't want you here. I don't want to talk, I want to get my work done in peace. You want to be touchy feely? Then go find Maple, I'm sure she'll indulge you all you want. Probably more so." She huffs and shakes her head before looking back to the insufferable one. "But if you put another hoof on me, then you had best hope Night Cap's passed his training." She states ferociously.

"I guess other than that hug, I'm fine. Thanks Maple.

You know I wonder if it would be best to talk to Hazel while bowling. I know she focuses on work during the day but she may be more relaxed with a group of friends."

"The Amethyst Astrolabe is currently being studied by the Astronomy Department. I guess we'll need to speak with Destiny Spiral about obtaining it. As for why it was separate, no clue. It's not impossible that they were discovered separately. That would explain why this stand was in pieces instead of completed and why the ring was wholly separate."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Rhapsody turns and slaps Snowy away with one of her wings, glaring daggers through the white unicorn. "What I am doing, you insufferable fool, is trying to work. I told you that point blank, or did your actions on your last mission have the side effect of also making you denser then Night Cap?" She says as she stamps a hoof with more strength then she probably intended as she cracks the tile, it never stood a chance against a mare that has a rep of breaking boulders. "Right now, what is wrong, IS YOU. I don't want you here. I don't want to talk, I want to get my work done in peace. You want to be touchy feely? Then go find Maple, I'm sure she'll indulge you all you want. Probably more so." She huffs and shakes her head before looking back to the insufferable one. "But if you put another hoof on me, then you had best hope Night Cap's passed his training." She states ferociously.

"If you want to work yourself to the grave, you could choose a better mausoleum than this." Snowy says with a grin. "I hardly think I'm at fault when you threaten compatriots with violence. And really, you work in a museum." He chuckles. "What's the point of your work if foals aren't worth teaching?" He steps very close to Rhapsody to brush his hoof over the cracked tile, leaving an illusion of repair in it's place without ever touching her. "What...is wrong...with you?" He asks, stretching the words out in sing-song.

"Oh that's a wonderful idea, it was so much fun last time."

As Splash Flaunt departed, the rest headed to the local market. While there were various screams of terror along the way, they soon arrived. Scouting out the closest stall, there was a tall, rust red earth pony stallion with a charcoal colored mane. Despite seeming to be up in age, he was boisterous and burly, greeting the group as soon as he saw them. "Step right up folks and marvel upon the finest...

...Amaroq, is that really you?"
"Unless you choose to disbelieve me, you are wide awake." "Wow, it's been so long." He ran out and hugged Amaroq's leg.

"Its off to see Destiny Spiral then," Scarlet said. "Should we take the stand to show her why we need the Astrolabe?"

Static held back and held up a hoof to hold back Anchors. "Looks like it's been a while since they've seen each other. Let's give them a moment to catch up." Besides, with Splash Flaunt already in the business of securing the transportation, the business was more or less done. The only real question he had for this pony was how he got here all the way from Warning Sound, maybe a question or two about the monster. But they certainly had time for the two old friends to say hello. "You feeling better?" he asked Anchors.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I guess she's got friends all over the place, huh? Well, at least it makes up a little for all the screaming and running everyone else is doing..."

After giving Maplejack a quick hug, Plaid Paisley hurried along. She realized that she would need to hurry back for the next tour.

"I'm sure she'll allow us to get it. We should leave the stand here since I'd hate for it to fall to pieces and have to put it back together again."

"It's still going to take a while but...it's not as bad as it was in my head."Anchors Away looked up at Misty Monsoon. "Yeah, I know what it's like to be the stranger. Um, but with much less screaming. I almost wonder if I should volunteer to help her back home."

Another nurse collected all of the quiz papers as Nurse Nightheart began teaching the topic of the day. Her voice lingered in the background as Night Cap seemed to shift from memories to daydreams. Soon, he heard a familiar voice, "Hi Mister Night Cap!"

Static nodded in agreement. "Arctic wasteland isn't exactly what I'd call an ideal vacation spot. But...yeah, if that's what it takes...I know I'd want help getting back if I were stranded away from home."

Static gave a deep sigh. "I like visiting other places, seeing the sights, absorbing the culture. It's one of the things I really like about being in STOMP. But I can't imagine being hundreds of miles from home with no way back." He winces and gives a sheepish look to Misty. "Sorry!"

Scarlet let out a good natured laugh, and nodded to Savant Sard.

"I completely agree Ms. Sard. I would like to think that once assembled, it will hold together well enough, and yet..." Trailing off for a moment, Scarlet again tried to puzzle out a theory as to why somepony would make a jewelled stand that could be built and rebuilt like a jigsaw puzzle.

"Alrighty then. Lead yhe way to the Astronomy department Ms. Sard."

"Sorry for what? This is my home now,"Misty replies without hesitation.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

"If you want to work yourself to the grave, you could choose a better mausoleum than this." Snowy says with a grin. "I hardly think I'm at fault when you threaten compatriots with violence. And really, you work in a museum." He chuckles. "What's the point of your work if foals aren't worth teaching?" He steps very close to Rhapsody to brush his hoof over the cracked tile, leaving an illusion of repair in it's place without ever touching her. "What...is wrong...with you?" He asks, stretching the words out in sing-song.

"You are at fault when you don't bother with concepts such as 'personal space' when around the pegasus with strength that puts some earth ponies we know to shame." She replies ones more attempting to ignore the unicorn as she goes back to the random tasks she'd been doing to keep herself busy. "I have no problem with my findings being taught to foals. In classrooms. Far, far away from me." She states, still showing no fondness for the unicorn as he steps in close as he can to her without touching. "Ponies shoving their noses where they don't belong, for one." If it wasn't blatant before, which it was to Snowy, the fact that she just seemed to pass up a musical cue would be the biggest flag that there is something deeply bothering her to even the most dense of ponies.

Savant Sard and Scarlet Spectrum walked to the Astronomy Department and knocked on one of the office doors. As soon as Destiny Spiral opened it, Savant Sard said, "Good morning, Destiny. I believe we may have made some sort of breakthrough with the Amethyst Astrolabe but that means we'll need it again." "I thought there was more going on with that thing. Well, the box is right here. I had panned to look over it today but I figure it's more urgent for you." "Scarlet, could you help me carry this?"

Spoiler

"Mister Night Cap, do you dream of school when you fall asleep in school too? I hate when that happens."

"What do I owe the pleasure of you ponies showing up at my shop and bringing an old friend?"

[Shadewing posted this. Probably meant for the OOC thread.]​

But then a realization sets in. He is not back in his workplace. There was a shift all right, but it appears that he is now in a dream. This will be confusing when he shifts back to the waking world, if that is even the next shift. Can he even be sure?

Realizing he could travel Dreams in his own life time, Night Cap fells asleep and into his subconscious. He now faces a world of monsters and little foals, driven by a desire to make things better. So Night cap finds himself shifting from Dream to dream, striving to set right what's gone home, all the while hoping his next shift will be the shift home.

Static turned to regard Ash Antler. "Well, Amaroq here actually is why we're here. Seems she got caught up in a storm and found herself here in Caballuston and now we're trying to get her home."

"I think originally we were sent to you for ideas on how to get her home...but...our last stop seems to have already covered that. So...I guess we're here to reunite two old friends...plus maybe a question or two if you don't mind."

"I think first would be...how did you get here? From what it sounds like to me, there aren't any frequently trodden paths between here and Warning Sound. Was your experience similar to Amaroqs?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

"You are at fault when you don't bother with concepts such as 'personal space' when around the pegasus with strength that puts some earth ponies we know to shame." She replies ones more attempting to ignore the unicorn as she goes back to the random tasks she'd been doing to keep herself busy. "I have no problem with my findings being taught to foals. In classrooms. Far, far away from me." She states, still showing no fondness for the unicorn as he steps in close as he can to her without touching. "Ponies shoving their noses where they don't belong, for one." If it wasn't blatant before, which it was to Snowy, the fact that she just seemed to pass up a musical cue would be the biggest flag that there is something deeply bothering her to even the most dense of ponies.

"I gave ya a way outta this, don't'cha know," Snowy says in his best yokel drawl. "All's ya hafta do is admit that the world is...grey." The accent drops. "Greyer than you without your socks. Greyer than me without your socks." This next part was tricky. He placed an illusion of himself just in front of himself, then lay down, leaning back as he did so to mask his movement with the illusion. He was banking on Rhaposdy being too focused on not looking at him to notice. As he spoke, the illusion's mouth moved, and it spoke for him. "You know it wasn't always this grey. Nothing's wrong with your memory. You didn't throw yourself out of the sky in a foolish act of heroism. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that one." He carefully crawls along the floor, silently pulling himself around to her other side, taking care to keep well back in her blind spot. "But you hate grey, that's no secret. I still won't pretend to know why your life is ashier than a forest fire. So you've got to tell me..." He reaches out and places a hoof across her back, mirroring the motion with his illusion. Because of his hidden position, his hoof was farther down her back, but it was nowhere scandalous.

He pauses to see if she actually follows through on her threats...

(But regardless, finishes his sentence)

"...Before you start lashing out at ponies just to make yourself feel something."

Spoiler

Spoiler

"As you wish," Scarlet said cheerfully, and reached for the Astrolabe case. Being careful to ensure that, hopefully, he had a secure grip on the thing, Scarlet put his not inconsiderable strength to the task. Turning his heas, Scarlet added.

"Hello Destiny, I'm Scarlet Spectrum."

"I've read some of your work, Scarlet. I hope that linguistic mind is ready to reach for the stars." Soon returning to Savant Sard's office, she and Scarlet Spectrum opened the box to reveal velvet lining and another box. Then they opened that box to reveal the Amethyst Astrolabe. It was set into its stand...and nothing happened. Savant Sard tapped the table next to it, then she gently nudged it with her snout. Still nothing happened. "So...um, how do we make it go?"

Spoiler

"It's been great! The wand has been really friendly and...

...um, you won't tell my teacher I fell asleep, will you Mister Night Cap?"

"Well, a few years ago when we were helping some lost sailors get thier ship repaired, I decided to go with them. Traveled the world a bit and then eventually settled in here."

"Oh! So...no unusual storms like what Amaroq or Misty encountered then..." Well, there's still two instances to investigate. That's something. "Well, I guess really one other thing I can think of. Amaroq told me about Snow Shark and what she knows about it. What could you tell me?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ash Antler shuddered and tried to hide behind one of Amaroq's legs. "It's...it's not here, is it?"

"..."

"Not last I checked..."

"If possible, I'd like to find some way so that it won't bother the ponies of Warning Sound either. That's why I ask."

Ash Antler busted out laughing into a boisterous guffaw. "I owe you some sort of drink for that one. One does not simply stop the Snow Shark. If Amaroq can't stop it, what makes you think you can?" "You are being impolite." Amaroq's tone was very displeased. It was akin to a tone Brisk Iron might have but coming from someone building sized. Ash Antler hung his head. "Sorry about that. I just...I don't think it's possible. If I had even the slightest clue on how to stop that thing, I'd have closed my shop and headed home to tell everypony."

Ash Antler busted out laughing into a boisterous guffaw. "I owe you some sort of drink for that one. One does not simply stop the Snow Shark. If Amaroq can't stop it, what makes you think you can?" "You are being impolite." Amaroq's tone was very displeased. It was akin to a tone Brisk Iron might have but coming from someone building sized. Ash Antler hung his head. "Sorry about that. I just...I don't think it's possible. If I had even the slightest clue on how to stop that thing, I'd have closed my shop and headed home to tell everypony."

"Oh don't worry. I'm not offended," Static says, waving away their concern. "It's actually a fair question. I've never seen this Snow Shark before. It's entirely possible I don't know what I'm getting myself into...which is why I ask questions."

"Everything has to have a weakness...everything. And while Amaroq is bigger and stronger than I am...we have our own strengths. For one thing, I wouldn't be going at this alone, and certainly not without a lot of preparation beforehoof."

"Of course, it helps to know what we'd be preparing for."

"Amaroq says it doesn't always stay around Warning Sound. Has anypony thought of tracking it to wherever it goes? Why does it leave? Is it to escape the cold season? The warm season? Does it have any patterns?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Night Cap​
"I would never take the teacher's side like that. I used to fall asleep in class all the time. I know how it is. Sometimes a dream just takes over."

"Seasons would make sense but I haven't noticed a pattern. *sigh* I'm just a shopkeeper. Speaking of which, see anything you like? I've got the finest authentic wood carvings around."

With a knowing nod and a happy smile, Plateau Precious reached over from her desk to give Mister Night Cap a hoofbump.

"Now that you mention it..." Static looks around at what Ash Antlers has for sale, looking to Misty and Anchors for suggestions. "Would either of you like to go in together on something for Rhapsody? She's been in kind of a mood since Amber left. Maybe while we're here we can get something to help cheer her up."

Scarlet smiled nervously as Destiny Spiral mentioned his work. He always felt undeserving of remembersnce for his linguistic talents, even though he always tried to ensure the books were factually correct, and enthralling as possible. He smile got warmer as he thought of Splash Flaunt and her noting of a few typos.

"I hope my work was of use to you Destiny. I've always had a love of the stars. Perhaps not as strong as my love of history, but certainly a close second. Whatever we discover about the Astrolabe, we'll let you know."

When they had returned to Savant Sards offic, Scarlet watched as she removed and mounted the Amethyst Astrolabe onto the hewelled stand and...nothing. Nothing?

Svarlet arched an eyebrow in surprise. At Ms. Sards words, he rubbed his chin thought.

"Astrolabes," he said slowly, "are all about measuring the movements of stars around us, right? Maybe its something to do with that."

Lapsing into silence, Scarlet sifted through his memories of old histories and old books, trying to recall if he'd read anything about how an Astrolabe was used to do what it did.

Spoiler

"I gave ya a way outta this, don't'cha know," Snowy says in his best yokel drawl. "All's ya hafta do is admit that the world is...grey." The accent drops. "Greyer than you without your socks. Greyer than me without your socks." This next part was tricky. He placed an illusion of himself just in front of himself, then lay down, leaning back as he did so to mask his movement with the illusion. He was banking on Rhaposdy being too focused on not looking at him to notice. As he spoke, the illusion's mouth moved, and it spoke for him. "You know it wasn't always this grey. Nothing's wrong with your memory. You didn't throw yourself out of the sky in a foolish act of heroism. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that one." He carefully crawls along the floor, silently pulling himself around to her other side, taking care to keep well back in her blind spot. "But you hate grey, that's no secret. I still won't pretend to know why your life is ashier than a forest fire. So you've got to tell me..." He reaches out and places a hoof across her back, mirroring the motion with his illusion. Because of his hidden position, his hoof was farther down her back, but it was nowhere scandalous.

He pauses to see if she actually follows through on her threats...

(But regardless, finishes his sentence)

"...Before you start lashing out at ponies just to make yourself feel something."

Spoiler

"And I gave you fair warning." Rhapsody states as Snowy initiates his master plan, however what he is banking on is also what he underestimates about the black mare. Rhapsody even at her worst, usually has a high degree of spacial awareness and now is no different; she could sense the quick and subtle movements as Snowy throws up his false self and crawls along the ground like the worm she currently considered him to be. She kept her eyes on the illusion, but she could hear the subtle sounds of his hooves on the tiles, as he tries to move as cautiously as possible, and will admit that she subtly surprised he didn't try to silence them like she knew he could.

And then it comes, Snowy places his hoof on her back and seems to wait for an impossibly long second, and today learns a very important lesson: Rhapsody doesn't do idle threats. "Gray is the state of the world, the sooner your accept it, the better off you'll be." she states briefly in that moment, and then with a fluidity of movement she leans forward and then lets loose with those hind legs of hers, with Snowy being so close the unicorn will have to react fast to dodge. While she's not using her full strength, she's not not pulling her attack either.

Wither it hits or not, Rhapsody turns and looks to the real Snowy. "Just so we are clear: I don't lash out 'to feel something.' I lashed out because I laid out a very clear perimeter. One that you clearly decided to test by trying to fool me with your illusions. So now that you've pushed your luck, and learned I keep to my word, are you ready to accept that acting the fool isn't going to get you anywhere with me?"

Spoiler

Scarlet Signal recalled that rotation of the various rings would help determine the location of the celestial bodies at various times during the year. However, this would be based off a specific vantage point on the sphere corresponding to a geographic location and was preferably more efficient in better lighting so things could be properly read.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"And I gave you fair warning." Rhapsody states as Snowy initiates his master plan, however what he is banking on is also what he underestimates about the black mare. Rhapsody even at her worst, usually has a high degree of spacial awareness and now is no different; she could sense the quick and subtle movements as Snowy throws up his false self and crawls along the ground like the worm she currently considered him to be. She kept her eyes on the illusion, but she could hear the subtle sounds of his hooves on the tiles, as he tries to move as cautiously as possible, and will admit that she subtly surprised he didn't try to silence them like she knew he could.

And then it comes, Snowy places his hoof on her back and seems to wait for an impossibly long second, and today learns a very important lesson: Rhapsody doesn't do idle threats. "Gray is the state of the world, the sooner your accept it, the better off you'll be." she states briefly in that moment, and then with a fluidity of movement she leans forward and then lets loose with those hind legs of hers, with Snowy being so close the unicorn will have to react fast to dodge. While she's not using her full strength, she's not not pulling her attack either.

Wither it hits or not, Rhapsody turns and looks to the real Snowy. "Just so we are clear: I don't lash out 'to feel something.' I lashed out because I laid out a very clear perimeter. One that you clearly decided to test by trying to fool me with your illusions. So now that you've pushed your luck, and learned I keep to my word, are you ready to accept that acting the fool isn't going to get you anywhere with me?"

Spoiler

Spoiler

Snowy takes Rhapsody's hooves hard to his gut, reacting only in time to rear back and protect his neck. As things stand he doubles over, breathing heavily, and struggles to keep his balance as his vision swims in front of him. "What...happened...to you?" He manages to get out, forcing himself to look back up at Rhapsody as he slowly stabilizes.

Scarlet huffed in frustration as the Astrolabe refused to do anything surprising. Thankfully, his memory did not fail him, and brought to mind a book detailing the cultural and geographical hidtory of Astrolabes. Including a helpful rundown on how Armillary Astrolabes were used.

"Unfortunately Ms. Sard, from here i don't think we're going to get any reaction from the Astrolabe. Its function is all tied to where and when you are in the world." Pointing to the sphere itself and then to the movable rings, Scarlet continued. "Points on the sphere relate to real locationd around Equestria. While manipulating the tings can reveal the approximate location of thr stars above, as they relate what time of year it is. Looks like we need Destiny Spirals help to test the Astrolabe around Caballuston. Figure where the stars are in relation to us now. Or at least, when she has time to assist."

Sighing, he shook his head at Savant Sard.

"I'm sorry i can't be of more help but i'm stumped as to out r next move here. After building the stabd and placing the Astrolabe, i was hoping for...something. Some hint of what to do. The only vague connection, if you can call it yhat, i can think of between this and Moonbeams puzzle squares, is that i was beginning to find a sequence of stars detailed on yhe squares. Not a constellation, but maybe a pattern that could relate to an alignment of stars on a set date or time of year?"

Holding up his forehooves in a gesture of helplessness, Scarlet shrugged.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Snowy takes Rhapsody's hooves hard to his gut, reacting only in time to rear back and protect his neck. As things stand he doubles over, breathing heavily, and struggles to keep his balance as his vision swims in front of him. "What...happened...to you?" He manages to get out, forcing himself to look back up at Rhapsody as he slowly stabilizes.

"Life happened." She states simply as she looks down to him, she refuses to feel bad for Snowy's stupidity in ignoring boundaries. She does however offer him a wing to help him up. "Can't have you wheezing on the floor when the foals arrive."

"The hell it did." It was Snowy's turn to bat away Rhapsody, though he couldn't muster a particularly forceful bat. "For...the first 15 years of my life...I was taught that a pony's worth...was exclusively judged on their...their musicianship." Though shaky he manages to bring himself back to his full height, and looks at Rhapsody with a storm of emotion in his eyes, there's just a tiny bit of fear, but it's clouded by vast quantities of worry and pity. "The next decade was spent in the care of criminals...who would knife their own grandmothers for a hooful of bits. Somewhere in there, I decided it was okay to hurt ponies just because they didn't do what I said.! I'd give them one warning...and that was it. That was all the mercy they'd get from me." Snowy shakes his head, and a variety of dark-coated ponies file into the room. For a moment Rhapsody can't place why they look so familiar, but she suddenly understands that these are what Snowy imagines her family looks like. Some details must have been gleaned directly from mentions of them (Harmony is wearing the dress Rhapsody wore to the dance, for instance, and all the coat and mane colors match), and otherwise, they look like Rhapsody, only...not quite. There's less muscle tone, and some minor adjustments to make them look properly aged, but all of them have the same storm of worry and pity in their eyes. As the almost-family encircles them, Snowy continues. "From what you've said, your family loves you. They suppoort you. Your troubles have had happy ending after happy ending." On some words his voice shake, though that could be caused by his injury. "Nobody taught you to harm. Nobody taught you objectify. And yet, here we are. What...happened...to you?"

Rhapsody huffs "More illusions? I thought you were more then a one-trick pony." The fact that they don't actually look like her family seems to make them loose a lot of the effect Snowy was hoping to go for. "I am the quite literal black sheep of the family." She says putting emphasis on the word black, as she was the only one that was purely one dark color. "I told you, I'm not here for socialization, you want that? Then go to Maple." She says and turns away to head back to her tasks, of cours! e Maple is also one of the few ponies she actually revealed parts of her past too, not that anypony would know that. "But as you're not likely too, how about this: Just because I have a loving family, doesn't mean there aren't still skeletons in the closest."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Talk to me about those, then. We'll trade." Snowy quickly staggers in front of her, cutting her off, but leaving an illusion in his place, just catching his breath. The question for Rhapsody was: could she shoulder through this Snowy like he wasn't there, or not? "My curiosity is quickly proving morbid, but that's not going to stop me."

Rhapsody smirks faintly. "Snowy; I'm an astronomer, not paleontologist." She states with a bit of mirth as she attempts to move past yet another illusion.

Snowy probably could have stood strong and come face to face with her, but in his condition he gets pushed back by her advance and stumbles, catching himself on the edge of her worktable and hauling himself back into a stable position...right in front of her work. "Unfortunately, that brings us right back to where we started." he says with a wan smile. He can't help but think that in spite of the bruises, the waspishness, and the impressive stubbornness that was being displayed by both sides, that bit of mirth suggested that he was making progress. "If you don't want to talk about the past, all that's left to discuss is the present."

Rhapsody looks to him as he weakly tries to remain standing by leaning up against her work table. "We've discussed the present, I told you you're allowed to fill the heads of the foals with whatever Fairy tale you want." She reaffirms plainly.

Snowy's grin twitches, growing for just a moment. "I already did." He admits. He pulls open the door with his telekinesis, and Rhapsody can see a sheet of paper with a simple map, and what looks like directions. "I may have left a door or two unlocked for them." He continues. "They're in one of my favorite back rooms of this whole building. Think of it as a VIP tour. I left them a worksheet with loads of questions, they'll be at it all day. Thinking like an archaeologist was quite fun." He chuckles. "But you know that's not the present I'm talking about. I want to talk about the last two weeks, and your prompt decision to work yourself into an early grave once A! mber left." He'd been very precisely avoiding her name. He hadn't wanted to be the first one to mention her. But things never did work out the way he wanted them to.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
There was a heavy sigh as the revelation and she shakes her head. "So now, you're also shirking your duties, since this is also going to reflect negatively on my own job performance. I will have to report this, I am sure that your superiors will be glad to know that not only can you not respect the boundaries of your co-workers when they tell you bluntly to not do something, you'd also rather chit-chat that actually do any work." She states with narrowed eyes as she looks to him, the little mirth she had gain seems to have evaporated thanks to this little stunt. "Also, y! ou seem to not understand the concept of time. what you are referring to is still 'the past', Anything that's not happened today is 'the past', and that's being very liberal considering anything previous to this exact moment is also the past." She comments as the unicorn tries to bring up the topic of Amber, she tries to side step it completely.

"I'm not going to debate semantics with you; we could be here all day." That didn't even qualify as a sidestep. If she was brushing aside a topic so cleanly then he must be making progress. "Amber's gone, Rhapsody." He tries to make his voice as gentle as he can, but between the bruise on his chest and the threats to his job it is perhaps not as kind as it should sound. "Amber's not coming back. If you're lucky, she'll write. Celestia knows that's more than I got out of Light Fantastic."

Savant Sard pondered for a moment, then excitedly sprung to her feet. "We're scientists. So even if we didn't find what were specifically looking for, we still learned something. What I can do is diagram the structure of the stand so it's easier to assemble and disassemble. Similarly, I can work on a diagram of the astrolabe itself. While it won't useful as the real thing, it'll allow you to study the notations while it's elsewhere. I can get them to you in a few days, pending on how fast Ready Quill can scribe a backup copy when I finish."

"So, what were you studying Mister Night Cap?"

"What about those?"
Anchors Away pointed at a collection of two wooden sculptures for the revised Summer Sun Celebration. One showed Princess Celestia raising the sun while the other showed Princess Luna setting the moon.

"I'm not going to debate semantics with you; we could be here all day." That didn't even qualify as a sidestep. If she was brushing aside a topic so cleanly then he must be making progress. "Amber's gone, Rhapsody." He tries to make his voice as gentle as he can, but between the bruise on his chest and the threats to his job it is perhaps not as kind as it should sound. "Amber's not coming back. If you're lucky, she'll write. Celestia knows that's more than I got out of Light Fantastic." The gentleness is gone by that point; he sounds downright bitter.

"Yes. I know she's gone." She states in a harsh 'I don't need you to remind me of that.' tone. "That doesn't matter, however. I still have a job to do, and I'm going to do it. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to keep you lot alive. Anything else just blurs the objective." To any normal pony, Her tone remains firm and neutral, completely dismissive even... but Snowy being an audiomancer like she was, meant he likely could pick up the subtle cues of her voice wavering, fighting to remain so stern. "As for you. If you want to see Light? Just buy tickets to her shows. Least you have that."

Misty glances over at the Princess carvings. "Oh, those would be a great idea!" she says, before turning her attention to another carving that had caught her eye, a sailor pony on a small boat. "Mr. Antler, you said you traveled around the world with some sailors? I wonder if you ever met my father..."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Maybe...maybe not. What was his name?"

"I'm not going to debate semantics with you; we could be here all day." That didn't even qualify as a sidestep. If she was brushing aside a topic so cleanly then he must be making progress. "Amber's gone, Rhapsody." He tries to make his voice as gentle as he can, but between the bruise on his chest and the threats to his job it is perhaps not as kind as it should sound. "Amber's not coming back. If you're lucky, she'll write. Celestia knows that's more than I got out of Light Fantastic." The gentleness is gone by that point; he sounds downright bitter.

"Yes. I know she's gone." She states in a harsh 'I don't need you to remind me of that.' tone. "That doesn't matter, however. I still have a job to do, and I'm going to do it. I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to keep you lot alive. Anything else just blurs the objective." To any normal pony, Her tone remains firm and neutral, completely dismissive even... but Snowy being an audiomancer like she was, meant he likely could pick up the subtle cues of her voice wavering, fighting to remain so stern. "As for you. If you want to see Light? Just buy tickets to her shows. Least you have that."

Snowy couldn't hear how shaky she was; he just felt it, intuitively, and suddenly leaving his baggage at the wayside was much easier. "Amber's gone." He quietly repeats. "You'll probably never hear from her again. It's over, Rhapsody. Amber left."

Static was about to take out his share of the bits for the carving when Misty asked about her father. He took a couple steps back to let her talk with Mr. Antler. If there was one thing he could understand it was the need to find ones father.

He regarded Anchors while the others talked.

"Good eye finding that princess carving." He takes a deep breath of the bay air. "You know, sometimes I really like these special assignments. It almost feels like playing hooky."

Back at the Keep, Maple's second tour group of the day proceeds... working for a living, ... somepony's gotta do it. Though the adventuring, and her wrestling were fun and rewarding too -in different ways. This was the part of her life Maple loved the most... it made her feel Normal, and not like what she was... lost, confused, alone...and worst of all - Maybe not even who she should be.

Snowy couldn't hear how shaky she was; he just felt it, intuitively, and suddenly leaving his baggage at the wayside was much easier. "Amber's gone." He quietly repeats. "You'll probably never hear from her again. It's over, Rhapsody. Amber left."

"You're a muscian, Snowy. Surely you know how bad a broken record is." Rhapsody states simply as Snowy just repeats himself.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Zamuel:
"Maybe...maybe not. What was his name?"

"His name is High Tide, and he's not a pegasus, he's an earth pony. He's about this tall-" Misty raises a hoof high above her head "-and he's blue, like me, but darker blue, and he has a mane that's long and white like seafoam." She blushes slightly. "I hope that wasn't too much information."

Personally, Snowy had thought Goodwill Hunting was brilliant. Rather than saying so he just blinks, then clears his throat.

"I'm not here for socialization; I'm here to do my job and that's it."[/FONT]
Snowy says, a noise-perfect imitation of his friend.

"I don't want to talk, I want to get my work done in peace."
He continues.

"I'm not here for socialization; I'm here to do my job and that's it."

"I still have a job to do, and I'm going to do it. I'm not here to make friends."

"Which among us is the broken record?" He inquires, the picture of innocence. "And before you claim that I'm being insufferable in the face of a repeated truth, you and I both know that that wasn't the truth. It's a lie you want to believe, so you can't get hurt." He still didn't want to lecture her, so he stopped there.[/FONT]

Spoiler

Scarlet blinked at Savant Sards enthusiastic outburst, then shook his head as he started to laugh. His frustration and mild disappointment at not managing to achieve what he had expected to achieve melted away in the face of Savant Sards positivity. Were he a more exuberant pony, he might have hugged her right there. Contenting himself with a smile, Scarlet said.

"You are absolutely right! I was focusing to much on what we can't--or at leasr can't yet--do, not considering what we have done. Having the details of the Astrolabe on hand to look at while i study the puzzle squares might yet reveal some secrets that could be of use when it comes time to test the Astrolabe."

Giving a self-deprecating chuckle, he added.

"My parents and tutors, and friends have said it many times. I can be a bit single-minded at times."

Savant Sard chuckled as she pulled out some paper. "We've all got our little quirks. Focus can be good, just don't let it overtake you."

"That sounds way cooler than what I was doing. I was doing math. I hate math."

"I didn't travel with him regularly but I met him once. How's ol' Tide doing nowadays?" Ash Antler asked.

Rhapsody looks to him, taking a deep breath. "Snowy, you ARE insufferable. It is your natural state of being. As such I have a strong urge to hit you again." She replies and walks away from him. "But even a weak attack made your crumple like wet paper."She states, as she continues attempting to completely avoid the topic at hoof.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"If you're going to document the assembly/disassembly of the Astrolabes stand. Do you want me to take this thing apart for you?"

"Doing well, I think! I sent my parents a letter not too long after I got a job at the Keep, and when they wrote back, they told me things were just fine back home. I'm glad we had this conversation, actually, because it reminded me that I have a lot to tell them in my next letter! And, if it's alright, I'd like to send this carving along with it."She rummaged around in her saddlebag for the bits to pay for it.

Rhapsody looks to him, taking a deep breath. "Snowy, you ARE insufferable. It is your natural state of being. As such I have a strong urge to hit you again." She replies and walks away from him. "But even a weak attack made your crumple like wet paper." She states, as she continues attempting to completely avoid the topic at hoof.

"You're lying to yourself." Snowy insists, doggedly striding after her. "You can lie to anybody else, but you should never lie to yourself! It eats you from the inside; if I can see it, then you can feel it happening!" In spite of minor limp, he catches up and wheels around to face, catching her gaze and not letting go. "So I'm going to be insufferable, and I'm not going to stop, not until you tell me what. Is wrong. with you."

"Rebel? Like the Crystal Ponies did to King Sombra? But our teacher is nice. Hmm...

...oh! You want me to use the Crystal Heart on my math book? But the Crystal Empire is really far away..."

Rhapsody looks to him, taking a deep breath. "Snowy, you ARE insufferable. It is your natural state of being. As such I have a strong urge to hit you again." She replies and walks away from him. "But even a weak attack made your crumple like wet paper." She states, as she continues attempting to completely avoid the topic at hoof.

"You're lying to yourself." Snowy insists, doggedly striding after her. "You can lie to anybody else, but you should never lie to yourself! It eats you from the inside; if I can see it, then you can feel it happening!" In spite of minor limp, he catches up and wheels around to face, catching her gaze and not letting go. "So I'm going to be insufferable, and I'm not going to stop, not until you tell me what. Is wrong. with you."

"Yes, I suppose you're the expert on that, aren't you?" Rhapsody asks as he comments about lying to one's self. "You know, I could just up and fly off; as you're not letting me get any work done anyway. I'm pretty sure you'd have a very hard time being insufferable as you limp after a Pegasus pony going at top speed."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"You can't stay in the air forever. Even if you sleep on clouds, everything that might distract you is right here." Snowy gestures to the workbench he's spent so much time maneuvering her away from. "If you stay up there, you'll have nothing to do but think, and the realizations will set in. If you come back down here, I will find you, every...single...time...and keep this up until you accept that I'm telling the truth. So stop dancing around what I say and listen to me. You're only hurting yourself."

Rhapsody huffs and shakes her head. "So I have the promise of continued harassment at work? Another then I can include in my report about your actions today?" No, she hasn't forgotten that. "Are you gonna make some snide comment about how that just means you'll just have to be insufferable to me away from work? Where then I can then report said harassment to the Police? The ex-criminal stalking her co-worker where ever she is, supposedly just because she won't answer a question? I'm sure that will go over well." She states and narrows her eyes. "Are you sure you want to keep down this rabbit hole? There is a price to knowledge, just how much are you willing to pay to get what you want? Because I can ensure that price is very steep."

Snowy meets her gaze with his own eyes. There's no longer pity, just compassion and steadfast determination. "What I want is for you to start acting like a pony again, with a personality and hopes and dreams. Frankly, I'm supposed to be dead, so threats aren't going to get you very far."

Rhapsody grins faintly and shakes her head. "Oh look at you. "I'm supposed to be dead." Maybe you need to take your own advice before trying to force it down on another. Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite and just as bad as you claim me to be. Come talk to me again, when I'm dealing with someone who's actually alive and then try to tell me what to do. I've got no interest talking into some dead, or undead, pony." she replies with morose chuckle.

Anchors Away, Misty Monsoon, and Static Signal paid for their purchases and bid Ash Antler farewell. Amaroq then led them to the spot where she came ashore. It was fairly unremarkable but it was worth studying in the future for possible clues. Upon returning to the Keep, Brisk Iron updated them with the news that she would be providing the funds for the train ride and that Princess Cadance and Prince Shining Armor had been updated. Anchors Away stepped aside to speak with the Chief Director in private but the others knew they had work to return to.

Plateau Precious faded away from the daydream Night Cap was having. Presumably her nice teacher woke her up so she could continue the sinister cruelty of more math problems.

Elsewhere, Scarlet Spectrum assisted Savant Sard with carefully disassembling and notating the jeweled stand that the Amethyst Astrolabe set upon.

After completing a productive day at work, the STOMP team was ready for an exciting night of bowling. Scarlet Spectrum had been invited to fill in for the Antiques and Restoration Department while most of the others retained the pairs they were already in. After going home and then entering the bowling alley, Plaid Paisley, Bold Standard, and her husband Chain Better were already there chatting among each other.

Spoiler

Top Bottom