[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static grinned. "Well, there is another documentary in the works. Night Cap, Rhapsody and I are all working on it...at least...I think we are. Rhapsody and Night have kinda been in a funk lately. I actually got kind of a list of questions for an interview I was hoping to run past Rhapsody since she's the advisor. It's just...you know...finding the right time."

Static lets the documentary play all the way through. It had been a while since he and Night Cap finished it. He wanted to see it again just to see how far he'd come.

After it finished, he set it to rewind and started the reel on the second projector running.

Spoiler

Zam

Double checking her schedule now that she had identified the group make up, Maple saw that the group she was going to tour weren't going to see Rhapsody... while it saddened her to not get to see her friend doing what she loved... it was a good thing Maple noticed it, dropping off a second batch of kids might be too much for her right now.

"Nice to have so many children who want to learn about history though" :) Maple said with a smile, as she made herself and the stand presentable for when the teacher and her students arrived.

As Static Signal set up the second reel to run, Flairvoyant said, "I might be able to help a little. What questions do you plan to ask?"

The teacher walked up to Maplejack. "Sorry to keep you waiting ma'am but the little ones are always excited for a field trip. I don't think I can get them any calmer so we're ready if you are."

Surrounded by a chaotic mess of paperwork about where the pieces were found, what condition they were in, and who had found them. The archival pictures Amber Sparks had taken detailing the strange material that had encrusted the bulk of the puzzle squares that had ended up at the Keep. Her notes on her unfinished research and attempted reconstruction of the squares, along with his scrawled thoughts on the new discoveries up at Night are Heights and how they fit into the puzzle. Sitting in the centre of the chaos with pegasus was the mostly completed box that seemed to be what the squares were meant to form, along with the remaining pieces that hadn't fit, and the new piece brought back by Scarlet, Snowy and Splash.

Staring intently at the frustratingly mysterious box, Scarlet continued to mutter to himself while scribbling in a notebook.

"...ymbols on the puzzle pieces, while clearly the work of the architect Moonbeam Writ, since they match designs found on the Castle of the Two Sisters, do not match any know language or pictographic imagery, apart from some starfield designs. I have as yet, not discovered their function or purpose beyond what Ms. Amber Soarks already discovered. These squares are all geared parts of some kind of mechanism.

If i was simply hired to solve this puzzle, i'd never get paid."

With a heavy sigh and a back breaking stretch, Scarlet reached for the cup nestled at the edge of the paperwork. Closing his eyes he took a slow mouthful.

Or he would have if it hadn't been bone cold, and with the consistency of sludge. Thankfully managing not to spit whatever had once been liquid halfway across the room, Scarlet placed the cup down as far away from himself.

"Well, now that i'm alert-ish, i might as well try and do what i've been putting off for the past few days. Finish this thing and see what happens."

Carrying the box and remaining pieces over to a seperate--and much tidier--table, Scarlet selected a magnifying glass which he hooked over his head, some fine manipulation tools, and took a dead breath.

"Show me your secrets."

Spoiler

It was a beautiful day. The breeze off the coast was just strong enough to make waves that sparkled like diamonds in the sunshine. Misty took a moment to take in the scene.

"Hmm. All it needs is... a touch of clouds!"

There was plenty of moisture in the air here. She brought her fore hooves together, compressing the air a little until it formed into a tiny, wispy puff. With a little more effort, the puff grew and grew, gaining more density as it did. Finally, she thrust her hooves forward, and the puff went shooting straight ahead. It soon began to expand like a kerne! l of corn exploding into popcorn.

She repeated this process several times, and soon the air was full of fluffy puffiness.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
It truly was a wonderful day in Caballuston. While Misty Monsoon worked, she could hear numerous sounds from the coast. Breeze blowing, seagulls cawing, screams of terror, and waves splashing.

Spoiler

Her task completed, Misty lands on the sandy shore for a breather. She finds something particularly delightful: a conch shell! She'd always enjoyed finding these on the beaches on Butterfly Island. Her mother had taught her that if you put one to your ear, you could hear the ocean. It was a little odd to remark on since they could hear the actual ocean anytime they wanted to, but it was still pretty cool.

She picks up the shell and holds it to her ear, listening to the sound of a scream of terror.

"Oh dear... I think it's broken." She puts it back down.

Wait! Another scream? What's going on? She looks around. Was somepony in danger?

Spoiler

Zamuel:
As Static Signal set up the second reel to run, Flairvoyant said, "I might be able to help a little. What questions do you plan to ask?"

Static winced. "Well, it's kind of a preliminary list. I have this thing where sometimes I come up completely blank with what I want to say, what I should say. So I just kinda empty my mind and start talking...or writing in this case. It's usually pretty rough sketch...which is probably why I'm constantly putting my putting my hoof in my mouth in Ms. Iron's meetings."

Static hands over the list to Flairvoyant. "Like I said, it's really rough sketch. But...it's a start."

Spoiler

With her keen eyes, Misty Monsoon spotted several ponies fleeing in terror. Almost immediately after she spotted just what they were fleeing from--a gigantic wolf that was calmly inland along the canal. She had grey fur with turquoise markings and yellow eyes. There was a burlap sack on her back and she walked with a proud, if annoyed, stance.

Nurse Nightheart pointed to a loose sheet in the front of the book.
"Sign here. All classes are at 5:30 sharp. If you're more than 60 seconds late without written excuse, you will be marked absent. Three absences and you fail. You start tomorrow."

Static looked over the document. "Yeah, maybe cross that out here, add that there. This is probably going to take a lot of revisions. But you're definitely right. The last thing I want to do is focus on the negative. Is this any better?"

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Oh that's quite alright ma'am, I'm super excited too!" Maple grinned. As the students gathered around Maple again looked to the teacher and then the kids.

"My name is Maplejack, but you can call me Maple, all my friends do... however before we get going I have two very important questions for you little ponies.

a) So who do we have here with us today? and
2) Is anyone allergic to Candy?"

Maple knew of course all the names of these ponies, they were on her schedule. The Keep was a big place and small ponies can wander... the important reason for asking the first question was establishing a report. This was a question Maple often used, because Most ponies can answer that question... and it also gets them prepared to speak up if they feel like it.

The second question was because Maple was hungry.

Elsewhere, Rhapsody was also preparing for an incoming field trip but she had more time. Thankfully, Snowy Skies just walked in. He was assigned to assist so this would allow them to collaborate before the class arrived.

Spoiler

Snowy wasn't sure whether he was excited or apprehensive about this. On the one hand, it was a chance to spend time with Rhapsody, and he was making a definitive effort to spend more time with his friends. On the other hand, Rhapsody had been more and more distant since their return from the last mission. He suspected it had more to do with Amber than himself, but it still made communication difficult. But there was naught to do but try, and this assignment was a perfect opportunity. "Morning. So we're talking about the first Pegasus?" He asks as he walks through the door, still paging through the folder he had been given.

Spoiler

"Magic through mechanics? What were you trying to achieve Moonbeam. Is this your original doorway to Manorspace? Or the lock the holds you in."

Slowly turning the box around, Scarlet tried to see a sequence in the star designs. They might not match a single constellation, but perhaps if he lined them up correctly..,?

Taking up hid tools again, Scarlet carefully manipulated the squares to see if they had a set pattern they should connect, or perhaps multiple configurations.

Spoiler

Misty gasps, and almost turns to flee herself. "Wait! I'm a STOMP member! I can totally handle this!" Steeling her nerves, she resolves to fly over and investigate. Giant wolves didn't just show up on beaches for no reason, did they? Maybe they did... but she wouldn't know that for sure unless she asked!

The foals began to say their names and Maplejack found that none of them were allergic to candy.

Once Misty Monsoon reached the canal, the wolf looked her up and down with a stern eye. "Finally, someone with a hint of spine." Her accent identified her as being from far northen lands and her tone carried an air of regality.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Misty winces at the wolf's voice, but manages to put on a brave smile. "Hi there! Um... can I help you with something?"

Spoiler

"Yes, I require travel but none of these ponies will stop and listen to me. Do you know of any who won't cower at my sight? Where is your leader?"

Looking down into the unfinished box made of rose gold squares, Scarlet Spectrum found that several stars were forming a sort of spiral. If he tried, just might be able to fit one of the new squares in and help the spiral grow.

Nurse Nightheart looked at the signature and frowned.
"I'll have it known that any test answers I can't read will be marked as incorrect. Otherwise, you are dismissed. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Aha!"

Seeing the pattern, or at least the beginnings of a spiral that could be the pattern for the stars, Scarlet set down the box for the time being. Taking up his pen again, Scarlet continued his notes.

"The starfield designs worked into the puzzle squares are not quite as random as first appeared. I have found the beginnings of what appears to be a spiral pattern forming as the squares connect together. Whether yhis is merely an artistic choice, or part of this constructs apparent techno-magical purpose is unclear for now."

Reaching out with his wingstips, he started moving and laying out the unconnected squares, Scarlet searched for the next square in the sequence, feeling for the correct geared connectors.

Spoiler

Once Scarlet Spectrum moved the square into place, he could hear the marvelous magnificence of melodious metal meeting together. There was a distinct 'click' but it was heard in the back of the mind instead of through his ears.

As Static Signal and Flairvoyant were working on the questions for Princess Luna, they could overhear the second reel. It was an instructional film with the subject being carpentry. Two earth ponies were the instructors--one mare and one stallion. Both were enthusiastic, perhaps needlessly so, but the they were gentle voiced instead of grating. In the background was soft piano music that was accompanied by a harp. First, they demonstrated how to install a door to a house. Then, they put together a fully disassembled cart.

"Always watch your surroundings when you swing that hammer. Don't break something, make something!"

Static's ears perked. "Oh, now this is different. Most of the videos I've ran have been historical or for some event. We don't normally get 'how to' vids."

"Always watch your surroundings when you swing that hammer. Don't break something, make something!"

"Why not both?"
he asked with a grin. "Actually, this may be a series I wouldn't mind seeing. Now that Ambers gone, it might not be a bad idea for me to learn some of this stuff to help fill the 'fix-it' role she used to fill," he thinks out loud. He then reflects on the building exercise he just completed. "I'm guessing Ms. Iron already thought about that."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Flairvoyant read through the list. "I actually overheard Ready Quill saying something about giving you more responsibilities so it might be his idea. But I guess that doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. Who know, the accountants might even be in on it. Cheaper than having to hire a repairmare for something basic. As far as the instructional movies, they sometimes rent out the theater to colleges and stuff. A few regular theaters do that too."

"Remember with all carpentry, 'measure twice, cut once'."

Static nods. "This one does seem rather basic though," he says sourly. He continues in a sing songy voice. "Measure twice, cut once. Don't break something. Make something. Don't dream it. Be it." He sighs with a shrug of his shoulders. "I can definitely check out the library on my way home though...on top of whatever films Ready Quill has in mind of course. Here as well as in the field, you can't be too prepared."

"Ahh! Everypony wins," Static says with a nod. "I could probably do some of this around the house. You know, those nights where you're just not in the mood for a book and you just have to do...something. This and cooking could really keep a pony busy. And I won't have to wear a tutu!"

"Uh...don't ask!"

Scarlet twitched as he 'heard' the click. Looking quizzically from the box to the remaining squares, our obssessive investigator was left with the growing suspicion that it wasn't just the next square in the puzzle that had clicked into place.

Tread carefully now son. Scarlets fathers voice echoed in his mind. Words spoken from many years ago, and concerning something different. Yet they are as relevant now as then.

"I know dad. I should step back and try and figure out whatever that...mental...click was before moving forward. i should get somepony in here to he! lp me.

Yeeesss, i should..."

Scarlet reached for the nect square.

Spoiler

"Now, what about those moments when a wheel on the cart gets damaged?"

Sttic Signal watched as the mare walked outside the viewing range and walked back with a sledgehammer. She then proceeded to bash one of the wheels into small pieces. Then, the went over several ways to handle the damage, ranging from temporary repairs, emergency substitutes for a spare wheel, to even getting a unicorn 'volunteer' to magically fuse the pieces back together.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Misty rubs her chin thoughtfully. "My leader? Ummm... I think the Chief Director is probably in her office at the Keep."

"'Chief Director' sounds like a suitably formal title. Very well, I request a meeting with her"
, The wolf said in a tone that seemed like she was pleased to hear the response.

"Alright, I'll just go and let her know..."
Misty had a sudden twinge of apprehension as she realized how much trouble she'd be in if this turned out to be a bad idea.

*gulp*

"...you don't mind waiting for a bit, do you?"

"Yes, I do mind. I have no mood for dealing with the hysterics of the ponies in this immediate area. It would also use up time if you had to make multiple trips so it would display rudeness to your leader if I did not follow."

"Well, that's one way to do it," Static remarks. "Although of the current team roster, we only have one unicorn...and he deals primarily in illusions. I also question her definition of 'volunteer'. Still...always good to have more than one way out of a situation."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Misty takes a deep breath and reassembles her smile. "Right! Well then. The Keep..." she spins around and points in a direction, "...is thattaway. Just follow me!"

She flies with a slightly-slower-than-usual pace, out of concern that the wolf would be upset if she went too fast.

The wolf followed for a while but soon became flustered. "Could you please choose to fly faster? You seem to be of suitable health."

"Eheh... sure thing!" She increases her speed to a more "healthy" pace.

"Was Spring Tide born in spring?"
"How high did he jump when the lightning landed in front of him?"
"Do you think the Princesses have a Staff of the Tide?"
"Are you old enough to be giving a tour?"

The foals continued with a large number of questions until the teacher urged them to quiet down so Maplejack would have a chance to respond.

"Yes...that large building does look like where a leader would be. I shall move at my own pace." The wolf suddenly broke out into a full run. Upon arriving on Keep grounds, Brisk Iron could be seen talking to some of gardeners. When she spotted the gigantic wolf, she urged the gardeners to get behind her and spread her wings in a defensive posture. Misty Monsoon could feel the air start to rapidly ionize. However, the wolf stopped and calmly sat down. "By your posture, I am assuming you are the Chief Director of this city. I require your assistance." "I can't assist you without knowing who you are. What is your name?" The wolf bowed her head respectfully.

"My name? Oh, where are my manners...forgive me. You may choose to call me Amaroq and if you choose not to, that is fine as well."

From up in the air over the wolf's shoulder, Misty meekly gives a wave to Brisk Iron.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Flairvoyant nodded. "This seems fairly thorough. I guess they have to be since this is a movie and not something hooves on."

Looking at Amaroq, then Misty Monsson, then back to Amaroq, Brisk Iron folded her wings and slightly relaxed. "I am Brisk Iron, Chief Director of the Equestrian Expedition Keep. What help were you needing?" Amaroq's eyes went wide with surprise. "Wait, you're the Brisk Iron? Then that must mean I'm in Caballuston. I can only assume that means you know...Zig Zag!"

Just then, the bright colored zebra ran out and hugged one of Amaroq's legs. Brisk Iron raised an eyebrow in surprise. "This is quite the surprise! I never expected this. I was just about to tell your Chief Director that I require transport back home to Warning Sound." "You're from Warning? That's...impossibly far away for a casual stroll." "That's my problem. I'm even farther than I imagined."

Static nodded. "Well, if I'm learning by movies, I guess I better bring a notebook next time. Any chance I can borrow one of these cameras so I can keep this going on my off time?"

"Oh, I know how that goes. I left home on Butterfly Island and wound up all the way here. But, I liked it so much, I ended up getting a job here!" Misty comments.

"Zig Zag, how do you know Amaroq?"

"Through 'nightly travels'.
She found me and then we talked.
She's quite the tracker."

Brisk Iron nodded her head knowingly at the subtle mention of dreamwalking. "Ms. Amaroq, how did you wind up this far south?" "I do not know. I fell asleep in the snow and when I woke up, I was on a rapidly melting sheet of ice near your coast. I remember a storm being prepared when I went to sleep but it was supp osed to go the other direction. Besides, there's no way a simple storm could send me this far.

On the immediate matter, I have the ability to pay whoever helps me home."
Sniffing around her pack, she pulled out a large chunk of iron ore that had several obvious veins of gold in it. Brisk Iron shook her head in response. "Keep your money. I will pay for all of your travel expenses in exchange for something else. As a visitor from a foreign land, my museum would benefit from asking several questions about yourself and your home." "Ah, so you choose knowledge as your payment. Very well, I accept you proposal."

Brisk Iron leaned over to one of the gardeners. "Static Signal and Night Cap and Night Cap are in the Documents Department. Go and tell them to bring cameras for photos and movie filming. Now."

Night Cap and Static Signal were each interrupted by a panicked request for their presence before the gardener dashed back out. "Sounds like duty calls. I'll rewind this for you."

"Danke!"

[Danke?]

[It means 'thanks'.]

[I know what it means! I just...]

[I'm becoming increasingly convinced I'm not alone in this head.]

Static runs to grab his camera and runs out to meet Brisk Iron.

"Someone call for a cam..er...ho boy! Big wolf!" Static looks around. "I'm guessing by the fact that everyone's chill that you're a friendly big wolf?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I don't know, are you a friendly little pony?" she said, clearly annoyed. "He asked a perfectly valid question for somepony new to the situation." "Perhaps. My mood does shift with those I'm around."

Static winces. "That's a fair question," he says in response to the wolf's question. "I'm friendly to those who are friendly to me and mine. Since everyone seems friendly...let's be friends. Can never have too many." Static goes about setting up the camera. "Good thing I brought the wide-lens."

"New friend," Static answers. "I'm guessing we're setting up for an interview." He turns to Brisk Iron. "Umm...who's giving the interview?"

"While both of you will be filming, I guess you should ask the questions, Static. Think of it as practice." Meanwhile, Amaroq tilted her head towards Night Cap and sniffed in curiosity. "Why do you smell familiar?"

[Me? She want me to do the interview?]

[Sure! Prep time's for wimps.]

Static jerks his head at the wolf's mention of Night Cap.

"Sweet Luna, Night Cap! Is there anyone you don't know?"

[There you go! Now you have the time it takes Night Cap to answer the question to prep for the interview. Way to stall!]

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Scarlet Spectrum very carefully used his tactile senses to examine the metallic squares. Through this, he could tell that the squares would not attach to the others, even though the pattern seemed like it could continue. There was presumably something preventing things from going further, as if another key piece was missing. While he sat and thought about it, it might be worth checking with Savant Sard to see if she got any further along with the puzzlelike gems gifted from Petrichor Falls.

While the kids were trying to think if they had any more questions or not Maple waved the teacher over.
"These children are wonderful, I think you might have the best job." Maple smiled, looking out over the group as they looked at the staff, talked among themselves or just pondered quietly with a hoof on their chin.

Static shrugged it off. Night Cap knew the Anugypt princess, knew Snowy before they actually worked together...knew Princess Luna for crying out loud! Sure! Why shouldn't he know this wolf.

He shook his head and started the camera rolling. "Okay...well...I guess we should get started. Let's start simply. Could I get your name and where you're from?"

"Ah, so you're Night Cap. I thought you'd be taller but yes, our paths have crossed," Once the camera started rolling, Amaroq redirected her attention. "My name is Amaroq and I hail from Warning Sound, a land far to the north."

Maplejack found that the foals didn't have any more questions and were ready to continue.

"Static Signal. It's nice to meet you, Amaroq. So...Warning Sound? I don't think I've seen anything in one of our documentaries about that," Static replied. "Which I guess is why I'm here. Well, what typically happens when encountering a foreign land we have little information about is that we learn as much as we possibly can: agriculture, entertainment industry, religions and customs."

"Still, you don't ask an actor about agriculture and you don't ask a farmer about stage production. So I guess the next question has to be...what do you, Amaroq, do for a living?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I serve as guide and protector, both awake and while asleep."

"Both awake and asleep?" Static gives a look to Night Cap and Zig Zag in turn. "I...see." Well, if Static wanted to do a documentary on dream walkers, he already had resources for that. "Well then, as a guide, could you walk me, a tourist, through a typical day in Warning Sound? For starters, Warning Sound. Interesting name, if a bit foreboding."

"Warning Sound is a small inlet with only a few permanent residents. Many who wind up there are lost sailors blown off course. There's a few ammenities to comfort them like an inn and a library but it's mostly so they can regain strength and return home. Especially with the beast that urks the waters. While we've ocassionally found gold, business is usually done with barter." While this was going on, Brisk Iron flew straight up and motioned for Misty Monsoon to follow. Once they got a sizable distance away, she said, "It just dawned on me that the storm that brought you here and Amaroq's appearance may be connected. You should ask her more when they're done with the interview."

Spoiler

"Oh, you think so?" Misty says, a bit surprised. "I've been thinking of it as a happy accident... but, I guess if keeps happening to others, we might want to figure out what's going on. Otherwise Caballuston could get really crowded!"

Statics ears pricked at some of what Amaroq said. He took out a notepad and started scratching out a letter.

Ms. Iron

While you were off with Misty, a couple points were brought to light I wanted to ask you about. It seems Warning Sound is populated with either lost sailors trying to find a way home or very few permanent residents who depend on barter trade.

Maybe opening an official trade route would be mutually beneficial. They get a trade route. We get a safe way home for stranded visitors.

Obstacle to contend with, sea monster. Will ask for Clarification.

Static set aside the notepad and returned his attention to Amaroq. "Sorry. Just that bit of information opened up quite a few more questions, questions I wanted to make sure I got back around to. But first, I think the more pressing one is..." Static takes a deep breath. "Beast that lurks the waters? What can you tell me about that?"

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Amaroq briefly shuddered. "No one knows if it has a name but many call it the Snow Shark. Which is a bit of a misnomer since it's more like an orca. Still, its body seems to be made of snow, its teeth like giant shards of ice, it might not have eyes, and it's vengeful. It remembers if you get away and much moreso, it remembers if you saved someone else."

"Crowds are only one of my concerns, Misty, but I'll keep it in mind."

Static visibly shuddered. "How does one get to and from Warning Sound? Is there a typical safe route or do you just have to take your chances?"

"I've tried. Numerous times. As far as safety, we can never truly know. It must not only hunt at Warning Sound since there's been times we've seen it only once a year."

"You've tried...to kill...? Wow! That...that sounds like a story in itself!"

Static takes a moment to stop his mind from reeling. It looked like STOMP had its next big damn hero quest forming.

"I'm going to want to ask more in depth about this Snow Shark. But I want to wait until Ms. Iron makes her way back. It's probably something she'll need to know about too."

"In the mean time, I'm curious about Warning Sound's economy. With only an inn and a library and most of its economy hinging on bartering...what is it you typically use to barter with? What is it you normally seek from outsiders. Aside from a few days boarding, what is it you offer?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As Brisk Iron returned, Amaroq said "It's less of anything we seek with outsiders and more barter among ourselves. If you patch my roof, I'll repair your window and other things like that."

Spoiler

Static handed off his note to Brisk Iron. He then returned his attention to Amaroq. "Now that Ms. Iron's back, I think it would be a good time to return to this Snow Shark. You said you've fought it numerous times. How do these battles typically go? What tactics have you tried?"

With no further Questions, Maple and the teacher round up the children and head to the next exhibit.

Upon knocking on Savant Sard's door, the mare stuck her head out with a monocle over one eye and a loupe over the other "And what do I owe this peasant greeting, Scarlet?"

"Night Cap, what would you have us offer as a reward? Most would feel the effort far exceeds any prize we could give. The Snow Shark has the advantage and has shown the ability to simply stay away. No, I would rather work with someone who genuinely wants to help than one simply in it for the money. I wouldn't want to have to come after them later on." Amaroq suddenly paused to sniff the air as a puzzled look crossed her face.

Static shot a nasty look to Night Cap. For all the friendship he owed this pony, he had to admit that greed was one of his glaring flaws. It kinda grated on Static whenever he saw it.

He let it go though. Not like he didn't have his own pit-falls. He just sighed and turned his attention back to Amaroq. "What is it?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I'm not sure. It's just that for a while now I've had the feeling that something's wrong with the world. I'll look into it another time but I've never found anything to reveal a real problem so it might just be changes in the wind.

I have a question for you, Static. Why do you ponies of Caballuston choose to live in a place with such an unpleasant temperature?"

Static can't help but laugh. "Unpleasent tempra...ha! I...I was actually going to ask you the same question. I guess we get used to what we're born with. Yeah, I'm guessing you'd like to get home sooner rather than later?"

Static gave a glance to Brisk Iron. "I'm not sure what more to ask here, ma'am. I think we have a good foundation...but I think there's only so much we can get with a single interview. There's only so much attention grabbing a video of an interview can get anyway. If I were able to actually get some first...hoof...knowledge...of..."

"I...get the feeling you already have something in mind for that."

"I don't know. The Keep's northern base isn't as far north as Warning and as Night Cap can probably verify, most of the team didn't handle it very well. I also don't want to jump into this before we have a better idea of how to handle things. Night Cap, did you have any more questions for Ms. Amaroq?"

"No, I do not."

"I have a mystery that i think upu may be able to help me with, Savant," Scarlet blurted out upon seeing the monocled Ms. Sard. Then he caught himself, and coughed nervously.

"I'm sorry, that came out a lot more bluntly than i intended. Let me try again."

Clearing his throat, Scarlet tried to smile confidently. Ish.

"Hello Ms. Sard, i was wondering if you could help me. As you may--or may not--know, i have taken over yhe research into the strange tode gold and alabaster puzzle squares the Keep has been finding all over Equestria, and it seems that whatever they are supposed to build also requires some kind of jewelled ornamentation as a part of it. So i was wondering if that crate of gems donated to the Keeo has yielded anything...strange?"

Scarlet looked hopefully at the other pony.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static looked Amaroq over.

Spoiler

[Somehow I don't think she's going to fit in any one of our houses.]

[I know I don't have a doghouse that big...and I don't think there's enough newspaper in all of Equetria to...]

"Uhh...Ms. Iron? Is there anywhere in Caballuston tall enough for her to stay until we can figure out how to get her home?"

Arriving at the next display Maple gathered the little ponies around with a sweeping hoof gesture.

"Remember me mentioning the important job the weather ponies do for us in my story about Mayor Tide... well if we go even further back to our city's first mayor you'll understand just how important those ponies are." Maple smiled, remembering how Misty had looked when she told Mr. Scarlet about her work when they returned from the falls.
"We were originally founded as a harbour town along the coast... main shipping center between the north and south of Equestria, Many goods were stored in vast warehouses down at the docks... a merchant named Rutile Oar owned and operated several of the primary warehouse. One in particular was built even stronger than the others... What do you ponies thing they might have kept in there?"

Maple loved asking this question, it was always fun to hear what a little pony valued above all things... many of them often took after her own heart and guessed Candies.

Brisk Iron thought for a moment.
"I was about to say 'no' but I just remembered that I know somepony with an island. And I guess while the camera is still rolling," Brisk Iron cleared her throat. "Who is the leader of Warning Sound? What kind of foods do you eat?" "The mayor is a stallion named Polar Knight. The ponies in Warning Sound mostly eat meals involving moss and lichen but there is kelp that sometimes drifts ashore and it seems to have some sort of currant berry attached, which I've read to not be common."

The foals excitedly shouted what they thought was in the warehouse.

"Cookies!"
"Comic books!"
"Candy!"
"It's where she hid her report card when she got bad grades!"
"Ninjas!"
"Hay?"
"Glitter!"
"Candy!"

Savant Sard excitedly waved Scarlet Spectrum in. "There's such a delightful cut and luster to these but I've had no luck with the puzzle itself. Would you like to assist?"

"Absolutely Ms Sard. Tell me more," Scarlet said as he entered Sabant Sard room.

Static Signal facehoofed.

[Yeah, those are questions you should probably have asked in a first contact interview.]

[Live and learn.]

"I do have one more question myself while the cameras are still rolling. It looks like your fur's thick enough that you'd be right at home in the cold that far up north. What about the ponies though? What kind of measures do they take to stay warm? I...somehow doubt what we consider winter coats would be quite enough."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple chuckled, it was the first time she'd had a foal say that one.. "Oh... if only there was a place to hide bad reports from your Parents. Maple shrugged and gave that little pony a genuine Smile. "If she was ever worried about her grades, I hope Miss Oar had as nice of a teacher as you students do... teachers are ponies too after all, and they'll help you if you're struggling." Maple Smile turned back to the group as a whole... one of them had guessed right.

"The Warehouse actually did hold hay...and kelp and barrels of fresh water. Rutile wanted the town to be safe, Sadly it soon faced a crisis like she feared... far offshore there was a weather crafting accident, no pony is entirely sure what happened but the results were a massive hurricane the likes of which Caballuston had never seen prior or since. Maple twirled in the air, creating a slight breeze - adding some little growls as she pretended to be the storm. it was kind of a scary thing to tell little ponies... so she was happy to seem them smirk and chuckle at her silly impersonation.

Spoiler
Zam

"I do not know. While they stay bundled up, they seem more resilient than ponies who come to Warning Sound from other areas."

"Aww...I thought it would be ninjas." One of the foals said with obvious disappointment. Most of the foals giggled at Maple's aerial twirl but one asked, "How big was the hurricane?"

"It was Very big... luckily Rutile Oar had built the number seven warehouse to be very strong, and while the storm was coming in, she gathered all the towns ponies into the building and then locked the doors tight with this!"

Maple gestures to the display. "Key Number Seven, with this key in the doors' massive padlock Miss Oar sealed it with candle wax to keep the water out - and it kept everypony safe for four entire days. Though the key itself has lost its beautiful Copper colour over time... you can see some of the wax still clinging to it. When the storm was over, and everyone ventured outside... most of the other buildings were gone."

Maple stopped spinning... and then her eyes stopped spinning a second or two later.
"Though most of the ponies of Caballuston had lost nearly everything... with a lot of work and thanks to the supplies in the number 7 warehouse - the town was up and running again in short order. To honor Miss Oar for her generosity, swift action, and forethought she was named our town's first Mayor. The Number 7 building still stands today, and still serves as the lifeguard post and one of our storm shelters."

Before asking if there were any questions Maple smiled over at one foal in particular, lifting a hoof up to (poorly) block her voice from the others...
"...But maybe I can suggest to my fellow ninjas that we see about moving our training equipment in there."

"Did any pony have any questions about the number 7 key, the Warehouse itself, or perhaps Mayor Oar?"

Static's head dropped slightly. After hearing about the hardships Warning Sound had with sailors being stranded, limited bartering and especially that dreadful Snow Shark, he was hoping there would be something the Keep...or at least STOMP could do to help.

But the more Amaroq spoke of the environment in Warning Sound, the less it sounded like they'd be able to do anything.

Static had tried to learn what he could about STOMP's expedition to the north. He did remember something of Amber being harshly affected by the cold. This Warning Sound was even further north than that with even harsher cold. Static couldn't see how going there would be anything less than suicide.

He sighed as he reached out to the controls of the camera.

"I...have nothing more. Thank you for the interview. Ms. Iron? You have anything else before I shut this off?"

Brisk Iron shook her head. "Not for an interview. There's probably other discussion separate from that. The film will obviously need editing for any side chatter that's in it. Amaroq, while you can't fit inside, I'd like for you to walk the grounds with us." After the camera equipment was secured so it could be carried and they started walking, Brisk Iron said. "I'm assuming there may be some non interview questions some here may want to ask..."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static took a deep breath. "I don't know about questions. It's just..." He gave another sigh. "I don't know Ms. Iron. Since I've been here, I've seen us do some pretty amazing things. We, and by we of course I mean Snowy, dug Nightmare Heights out of a really serious problem. I submitted my ideas on how we can help Petrichor Falls. On a smaller, local scale, I've been helping to turn around Skivey's Diner so it can be a decent place to go."

"I mean, we help ponies. It's...kinda what we do, isn't it? I guess I just find it hard to accept that we can't help Warning Sound because it's cold."

"I never said nothing will be done, I just don't want to make things worse by going in unprepared. Especially since this team has multiple members who wouldn't be going. So our immediate concern is getting Amaroq back home. However, that's not to say I don't have ideas. For the time being, we need to speak with Splash Flaunt about using her island. Afterwards, you may want to go to the market and speak with Ash Antler. He's supposedly from Warning Sound." "This is where he wound up? It'll be a pleasure to see him." Very well then. Misty and Static, when we finish our walk, would you please escort Amaroq?

Spoiler

Static perked up as Brisk Iron started to lay everything down. A smile crossed his face and he nodded vigorously. "I'd love to. Thank you!" Static gave a friendly hoof tap to Amaroq. Usually it would be a pat on the back. But since he couldn't reach Amaroq's back, he settled for a bump to the leg. Then it crossed his mind that he better hope Amaroq took it in the friendly spirit it was meant. He wasn't quite sure how affection was shown when it came to wolves.

Misty flies near one of Amaroq's large ears. "Um, pardon me, but... the Chief Director thinks that both you and I ending up here in Caballuston after a big storm might be related somehow... what do you think?" she asks.

Spoiler

Scarlet picked up the strange half-and-half ring. Looked from it to gems.

"Hmm," he mused. "This seems like the base to something. Perhaps if we...build the gem pieces onto it. I mean, the two piles of gems you've sorted do seem to correspond nicely to the half-and-half nature of thus ring."

Placed the ring flat n the crnter of the table, Scarleted reached for the red beryl gems. Slowly, ever so slowly, using a combination of fine manipulation tools, and his wingtips for extra grip, Scarlet tried to piece together whatever shape these gem might be intended to form. Tilting his head to look directly down onto the ring, Scarlet so a semicircular structure forming.

"Its seems like it has a concave top. A rounded hollow that you could place a globe or crystal ball into maybe?

What do you think Ms. Sard?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static frowned.

[Both of them caught up in the same kind of weather pattern?]

[Both deposited right here in Caballuston?]

[Chief certainly doesn't think it's a coincidence.]

"I don't like coincidences," he muttered. "I don't suppose you both could pinpoint on a map where you first wound up in Caballuston, could you? If it's anywhere close together, even that may be something to check out."

"I have no idea, and that's hakf the fun. A luzzle in a mystery. What are we making? And what is for? Who made it?" Scarlet usually more hesitant personality when not on a mission cracked as the thrill of the hunt gripped him. He had many questions. Now he just had to find the answers. Looking up at Ms. Sard, Scarlet grinned.

"Shall we add the prasiolite gems to the ring and see if the completed straucture gives us a hint?"

"I do not know where it would be on a map but I can show you where I came ashore."

Savant Sard nodded. "Go right ahead."

Spoiler

"Exxxxcellent," Scarlet murmured slowly, and started carefully spreading out the presiolite gems to see what he had to work with. Then began the process of adding them to the ring, and vuilding the mirrored half of the strange base.

As he worked, his mind focused more and more onto the task in front of him, while everything else slid into background. Scarlet circled the table again and again. Adding a piece of prasilite here, disassembling a section of the red beryl side there. Rearranging the gems so that boths half would sit flush when completed. As time passed, he even forgot that Savant Sard was in the room, though he would still automatically say 'excuse me' when he passed her.

Several times Scarlet had to completely disassemble the gem structure and start over as, much like a jigsaw, he had accidentally put what seemed like the right piece into the wrong place, thus throwing off the whole creation. Each time this happened, he would slow down the process of rebuilding it so that he checked and double-checked each gem, to ensure that he set the correctly. A minute became five, became ten, became twenty, became forty, became...a forgotten number as Scarlet toiled to complete this puzzle and, with it, perhaps a clue as to what they should do next.

Eventually, the correct path was found, and the loose gems slowly dwindled as Scarlet built up this peculiar half-and-half jewelled stand. As the last hoofful of gems slid into place, Scarlet flapped his wings so that he could hover just above the finished construct. This also meant that he spotted Savant Sard as he mind unravelled from its very narrowed viewpoint.

Scarlet blinked, then shook his head.

"Ms. Sard i... To be honest, i...kinda...forgot you were still here. I'm very sorry."

Scarlet coughed nervously.

"Uh 'cough' um, i think i finished it."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Good day Miss. Swirl." Maple smiled brightly as her new friend approached. "Yes, it is wonderful that we can provide both a learning experience for these little ones, and also provide them a keepsake to help remind them of something they learned here."

Maple landed, and held out a hoof while she sorted her wings back into a comfortable position after having been flying so much. "While I'm delighted to finally meet you, I had hoped to go check in on Miss Rhapsody ... she's ... Maple couldn't really come up with any way to phrase it that was both appropriate and sympathetic ... is there anything I can help you with?"

There was brief pause as Amaretto Swirl looked Maplejack over--as if her yellow eyes were trying to get a read. "Initially, I was just walking the hallways and overheard you. However, there is something since I am here. I'm fairly far along in the paperwork for a collaborative deal between the Keep and Saccharine Sweets. Soon, buying candy will have the possibility of bringing more money to the museum. Wouldn't you like that?"

"Well that is wonderful news, I think the only thing better than having a lot of friends..is having a lot of friends who are also friends... with each other I mean."

Maple waggled her out stretched hoof a little,

"What do I remember? Well, I was traveling over the ocean after leaving Butterfly Island, when the sky got dark and a big storm came up. I tried to calm it down, but that only seemed to make it even stormier! I got blown all over the place, and couldn't see where I was going, and I must've blacked out. Next thing I know, I'm on a beach somewhere I've never been!"

Misty shrugs at Static's question. "I'm not sure I could show you where it was, exactly... after the storm, I lost all my bearings, and it wasn't until I asked for directions at the Keep that I found out where I'd ended up. Wow! I was really surprised."

"Just a few months ago, I think?"

Static started making another list. "So, Ms. Flaunt, Mr. Antler, see where you washed up ashore...sounds like a full day! I hope it won't be too uncomfortable for you here until we can get you back home. Caballuston's only slightly warmer than what I was used to in Manehatten. I thought that took some getting used to."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Right then...allons-y!

After traveling to one of the canals on the way to Splash Flaunt's shop, Amaroq, Static Signal, and Misty Monsoon heard Anchors Away greet them from the water. "Good morning! I guess this is a new friend?"

Static's smile grows from ear to ear. "Hey, Anchors! Yes, this is Amaroq. She's...far from home...Warning Sound. Amaroq, this is Anchors Away, my marefriend. We're on our way to see Ms. Flaunt if you'd like to join us."

Anchors Away's eyes narrowed. "You're going to go speak with who?"

Static perked and tilted his head curiously. "Ms...Flaunt? Splash Flaunt? Ms. Iron says she might have a place Amaroq can stay until we figure out a way to get her home."

"Is...something wrong?"

Top Bottom