[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Steel Flint nodded. "Excellent. It looks like most departments will be participating. The bowling league won't be officially starting up until about a week but tonight a few employees will be practicing, in case you're interested."

Snowy was highly appreciative of the lack of Hostility in Steel Flint today. Maybe he just knew too many ponies that were good at holding grudges. "I suppose I should find out if I'm any good at it. Where is the venue?"

The cucarockas eagerly gobbled up the candies Maplejack offered. Misty Monsoon noticed that the grey stallion's pale pink mane was fairly unkempt. It could certainly stand a brushing. However, she also noticed that the harmonica that was precariously balanced on his hoof had an engraved image of a tulip with stars circling as if it was dizzy--the same insignia that was on the business cards Rhapsody found and passed around during the trip to Nightmare Heights.

"I don't have the address memorized but it's written down and all department heads have the address so at the very least, Dusty will have a copy. Was there anything else either of you needed from me?"

"okay yeah." Maple said, as she walked back over to the bugs and counted out 2 more candies for each each, she kinda felt bad for the ones the three of them had knocked out, so she kept a few in her bag to leave by them when they reached them.

Static looked around. "Last I saw, she was going in this direction," he said, indicating. "Maybe you could get a better look up in the air? Otherwise I guess we just keep heading towards town. Who knows, maybe she's there already."

Spoiler

Misty flew below the treetops with her "passenger," looking for Static where she'd seen him last. And there, she found him again.

She noticed few things simultaneously. Static was surrounded by cucarockas, but wasn't attempting to fight them. They weren't attempting to fight him either; they appeared to be eating something...? A few yards away was another Static. And Maplejack was with him.

She had a brief moment of confusion, hovering in place for a split-second before the lightbulb went on in her head. "Oh, haha! Must be an illusion. She veered off to the side to avoid being seen by the cucarockas, following an arcing path through the trees to where the real Static and Maple were.

"Heya! I got this guy out of the way before the bugs could grab him," she says as she flies up, preparing to set the stallion down on the ground. "He doesn't seem to like flying so maybe we should walk back with him?"

"I don't believe so, ma'am - thank you. But I should definitely be along tonight for the bowling practice." Amber nodded as she spoke and began to continue down the hallway. "Mr. Skies, it occurs to me that I didn't have a very close look at this first combination box. Do you recall whether the symbols were an exact match between the two, or does this one have a different set?"

Static raised an eyebrow as Misty came back with the stallion.

[He didn't like flying so she brought him back to the scene of battle? Instead of just walking him back to town herself?]

[Hey, this works out better. Now we can deal with him together.]

[Yeah...but...still!]

[First thing's first!]

"GET THAT HARMONICA AWAY FROM HIM!!!! Don't let him play that harmonica. It's what's making the cucarocka's hostile."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
[Snowy]​
"I cannot recall. We should reacquire it and compare."

Static runs over and swipes the harmonica from the stallion. He sees the insignia on it and gives it a serious look. "I've seen this before." He takes out the card that Rhapsody gave him the other day. His face, which was already not happy, grew even more serious.

"There's a few things I should tell you. I hate ponies that brainwash innocent beings into doing things that can either get them or somepony else hurt. That's strike one for you. I also don't like ponies that put my friends in danger and/or ruin their days. That's strike two for you. And I absolutely, completely and unequivocally hate liars."

"I'm going to ask you one single question, and I want you to remember that...because of you...I've already had a reeeally bad day, and I've already knocked out a few of your former pets. Now...who do you work for?"

The stallion trembled as Static Signal questioned him. "I was paid to try the harmonica out. Said he needed to test it before he bought more and told me to try it here. I figured that the mayor and everypony would run so as long as long as nopony made the the cucarockas mad, nopony would get hurt. The stallion looked like...looked like...ow. I've got a headache..." The stallion looked dizzy as he struggled to recall his employer's appearance.

"Easy. Don't want you fainting. That means I'd have to hogtie you and drag you all the way back to town. I'm sure the Chief will have plenty more questions for you, though, so you might want to start getting your stories straight."

Static indicated Misty and Maple. "Follow them back to town. I will be right behind you. Try anything funny...like escaping...and you will have made my day."

Static turns to Misty and Maple. "Are we ready to get out of here?"

The stallion nodded in agreement.

Misty listens as Static grills the stallion. Gradually she figures out that this wasn't just an ordinary civilian who happened to be in the woods playing his harmonica when the cucarockas passed through. But he was in their custody now, so it was all good!

"I'm ready to go!" she says in response to Static's question.

"Yeah, okay..." Maple said,.

After Misty Monsoon, Maplejack, and Static Signal walked the stallion back to the site of the conservation presentation to see ponies in the midst of cleaning up from the calamity. Brisk Iron was in the middle of talking with Mayor Cranberry Loss.

Not wanting to interrupt the Chief while she was talking to the mayor, Static stood a bit to the side to let them finish, listening in only to make sure they weren't planning any action against the innocent cucarockas.

"Aha! The esteemed heroes of the hour and...who is this?"

Maple's bag of new fudge candies now emptied, and having used the last of the med kit on Misty while they walked back.. her hair and saddle bags were feeling a little light. ...as a rumble went through her belly, a sudden thought rushed into her head... I wonder if the Mayor has any of those seeds left... mmm seeds ... but then she remembered she was a civilized pony now with a job, and friends and a reputation to maintain: -And since nopony seemed to want to Interrupt the Mayor and Mrs. Brisk Iron... Maple covertly 'Mozed-ed' over to a nearby bush and ducked behind to eat some grass.

"This," Static said dramatically, waving a hoof towards the stallion, "is the reason the cucarockas turned hostile. They were actually pretty docile when there wasn't any magical musical instrument brainwashing them." Static turns the harmonica over to Brisk Iron as well as the business card Rhapsody gave him. "I think Rhapsody may have already had a run in with one of his employers."

Static turned to look at the stallion. "He said he was paid to test the harmonica before more of them were bought. He then had really severe headaches when he tried to tell me what the stallion that hired him looked like." He turned back to Brisk Iron. "I'm sure you have more questions for him?"

Coming back the few steps she'd managed towards nibbling the nice tasty under bush... Maple's forehead began to hurt... she never really got a goose-egg from running into that log on the expedition.. but this was in the same spot. She remembered that she knew how to treat injuries from that knock on the head, but now it felt like her muddled up noggin was trying to remember that she forgot something that could be helpful now...

whatever it was... Maple shrugged it off as a sympathetic headache to go along with her tummy ache...it's not like she'd trade whatever that old new memory was for the new old memory she'd got back... right?

that was why she was out here searching for her past after all... She needed to fill her tank. Hunger always made her think too hard, and thinking to hard lead to worrying ... it was a vicious cycle.

Moving without really thinking about it, Maple was now between Misty and Static. Flapping her wings a little Maple hovered between the two and gave them both a quick hug.

"He Called us heroes!" She whispered to both of them... as she settle back down onto all fours in time for Mr. Static to begin speaking to the mayor. Maple forgot all about her headache and empty stomach... she was a hero now, just like Mr. Night Cap.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static remembered at that moment why he hated politicians. Property destroyed, innocent animals brainwashed, populous rightfully frightened for their lives...and to him it was a good thing nopony got hurt...because of votes? Still, Static managed to bite his tongue.

It was a shame Brisk Iron didn't take this chance to interrogate the suspect before turning him over to the police. But then that was her prerogative.

Static took a look around at the place. "What's to happen to the cucarocka's that were nocked out during the fight? They were innocent in all this, after all."

"I gave them some candies Mr. Static." Maple waves the empty bag at him

Static raises an eyebrow at Maple. "I really meant as far as how they'll be treated by the authorities, Maple."

Maple... moves her head to look around Static... and then she cranes her neck to the other 3 directions.

"What Authorities? and um... we know they didn't mean it, so um... why would they even need to worry about them?"

"They were rounded up to be released elsewhere, per Ms. Iron's suggestion. Seemed fitting with this being a conservation presentation, after all, and thankfully y'all found evidence of innocence."

Misty remained glad that everything had worked out for the best. She felt honored that the mayor thought they were heroes! What a great leader he was. If only she was old enough to vote for him!

Her ears had also picked up on the sound of a tiny rumbling tummy. Very quietly she reaches into her saddlebag and sneaks out one of the last peanut butter toffees, passing it over to Maple with the "palm" of her wing. While still listening to the mayor talk, she gives Maple a sideways smile.

Maple... moves her head to look around Static... and then she cranes her neck to the other 3 directions.

"What Authorities? and um... we know they didn't mean it, so um... why would they even need to worry about them?"

Static turns a stern eye to Maple. "Never assume the goodwill of those in authority when the fate of several innocents hang in the balance." Static turns to the Mayor and Brisk Iron. "No offense."

Zamuel:
"They were rounded up to be released elsewhere, per Ms. Iron's suggestion. Seemed fitting with this being a conservation presentation, after all, and thankfully y'all found evidence of innocence."

Yes. Luna only knows what might have happened to those poor things if we hadn't found out what was truly behind it, Static says, giving a nasty glare to the harmonica stallion.

The stallion shrank back a bit at Static Signal's remark. The police then led him away. "Well, we're in the process of cleaning up. There was a luncheon planned for after the speeches and presentations and since the cucarockas ran off with only so much, I feel it's best to go ahead and have the luncheon. Would be a good way to calm everypony's nerves after this whole sordid affair."

"That's good to see. He actually feels bad about it. Maybe he can turn his life around then," Static said to no one in particular. "Yes, lunch sounds great right about now. Thank you."

"Splendid! I hear they've got some delightful cucumber sandwiches with a side order of diced apples." "If all is well, I'd like to eat with my employees." "Yes, that's quite alright. You can't think of the polls on an empty stomach, of course." Brisk Iron waved for the trio to follow her to one of the farthest tables.

Lunch with the Chief Director. Static wasn't sure what to think about that. Even when things turn out supremely better for him from these meetings, he still always seemed to fine some way of totally embarrassing himself.

Still, this wouldn't actually be in her office. Maybe that would be his saving grace.

Static follows.

"Bye Mr. Mayor, I hope you still want the job when I can vote for you!" Maple almost goes for a hug, but the smell of sliced apples hits her nose... fortunately the sight of Maple drifting up and down left and right through the air following the smell is easily explained by the rapid fluttering of her tiny wings... and is not in fact some magical property of the taste smelling apples.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Upon sitting at the table, Brisk Iron let out a weary sigh. "Sorry to have to drag all of you into this. Mayor Loss may be blindly self centered but when he's not patting himself on the back, he usually attempts to look out for others. Plus, he's on our side so I try to retain that...despite the headache."

"Just makes me glad to be working in the field. Just watching you having to deal with politics looks like a headache. If it were me..." Static shudders, "I doubt Equestria would survive!"

Brisk Iron smiled. "Well, I do what I do for my employees. Speaking of which, that presentation was a lot less...dry...than what I'm used to."

"Mr. Signal wrote me some very nice notes... I improvised a little when I realized all the 'wes and ours' that were written might sound odd coming from a pony who's not even memorized half of the streets in town yet." Maple shrugged and then turned to Misty. "But Without Miss Monsoon, the presentation would have gone to far from not dry all the way to sopping wet!" Maple smiled at the Chief. Happy to let her friends know how much she valued their efforts.

As Savant Sard and Night Cap walked into the police station, the unicorn mare working as the receptionist immediately addressed them. "Good morning, how may I help you?"

Brisk Iron smiled. "Well, I do what I do for my employees. Speaking of which, that presentation was a lot less...dry...than what I'm used to."

Static gives Brisk Iron a curious glance, unsure if she meant the part that was actually planned, the attack afterwards or just the fact that there was literally a slight rain shower beforehand.

"Well, I guess that's one advantage to a first time public speech. When you don't know what you're not supposed to do, you can do pretty much anything. I...hope it wasn't too over..the...top..." Static trailed off a bit at the end as he took in the destruction left in the wake of the battle. "At least...before it completly went off the rails."

"Mr. Signal wrote me some very nice notes... I improvised a little when I realized all the 'wes and ours' that were written might sound odd coming from a pony who's not even memorized half of the streets in town yet." Maple shrugged and then turned to Misty. "But Without Miss Monsoon, the presentation would have gone from not dry all the way to sopping wet!" Maple smiled at the Chief. Happy to let her friends know how much she valued their efforts.

"I figure you did the hard part. Once I let my mind wander, writing the rough draft was easy. But when it comes to speaking in front of a crowd..." Static gave a sheepish look to Brisk Iron. "It usually doesn't work out too well for me."

"I don't know Mr. Static, you seem to always find a way to squeeze words in when you want to." Maple couldn't help but smile.

"my problem isn't usually being able to speak in public, Maple," Static said dryly. "It's usually shutting the Tatarus up that I have a problem with"

"Well that sure isn't a problem for me! ...o_O hmm."

Maple gives Static lopsided look and a bit of a smirk .... he got her good, she trotted right into that one.

"I thought the presentation was wonderful!" Misty says. "And even though things got a bit crazy afterward, I'm glad nopony got hurt. I certainly didn't mind some added excitement to my day, heehee."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Upon receiving the other combination box from acquisitions, Amber Spark and Snowy Skies found that the two had the same symbols but not in the exact same alignments.

The police receptionist searched through the file cabinet and pulled out the forms.
"And what activity was regarded as suspicious?"

"I wasn't expecting any real Greenwing Songbirds to show up. The flight performance was a surprise but I'm not complaining. Furthermore, Maple did! a good job at maintaining a proper presentation voice." Just then, the caterers brought a platter to the table that had a multitude of small triangular sandwiches for the group as a whole and individual bowls of diced apples for each at the table.

The police receptionist began writing. "I've heard the stories, though I've never been there myself. Their appearance?"

"Oh, the real Greenwing was all Maple's idea. The flight performance..." Static shrugged, "I wasn't sure anything less would've even been noticed...so...yeah." Static took one of the sandwiches and plopped one of the diced apples in his mouth.

It was then that he realized, just a few days ago, his stomach would've been too upset so soon after a big battle to even think about food. Now, it was less than half an hour since the fight with the cucarocka's and already he was talking and eating like nothing happened.

He'd gotten used to this...in a rather short period of time no less! He wasn't sure how he felt about that.

"I've spent enough time in the woods to know most animals will be happy to help you out if you make it worth their time in ways they can understand. I'm just happy one wasn't too busy to come by... things could have looked silly for poor Mr. Mayor if he tried to feed those seeds to Mr. Static's birds."

Maple smiled at the other three.

Static couldn't suppress a laugh at the thought of one of the illusion birds trying to eat the seeds...just to have the beak and half the head pass right through the pile!

Heh! Laughing. Another way this team seems to have changed him. He was pretty sure he knew how he felt about that, giving Maple an friendly nudge.

Hearing Mr. Static laugh Maple remarked on how much times change... time.. ?

"Mrs. Chief Director Brisk Iron Ma'am... I'm sorry, I know we're eating and everything... but um, I've completely lost track of time. Is it actually lunch time? I'm just worried if I shouldn't really be getting back to the standwich *belly groan* and see if Mr. Hide has any groups planned for the afternoon... I very much enjoy doing these extracuricucumbers... *belly rumble* ...and the field work for s.t.o.m.p. of course ..but I haven't really actually done a lot of the Job I'm supposed to be doing... and I don't want to be a bother to Nice Mr. Hide."

Maple smiled, oblivious to her belly's obvious objections to getting farther from food.

Misty looked up from carefully trying to fit several sandwich triangles together to re-create a whole sandwich. "I thought the performance was amazing! Static's illusions are so lifelike. Not just the birds, his illusionary self in the forest made me do a double take! I'll bet even a smart pony like Amber would have trouble telling them apart. And getting a real bird to show up made it even better! So cool!" she says, giving Maplejack a bright smile.

She makes short work of her composite sandwich, then looks up as Maple makes to leave. "Oh, you have to go now?"

"Maybe? I should at least tell Mr. Hide why I didn't need tickets to the upcoming wrestling event that he mentioned... Maple scrunched right down low on the edge of the table so she was hidden from any other eyes but those already at hoof. "I won't need tickets because I've already got a spot closer than ringside..tehehehe" Straightening back up and acting like nothing strange had just happened Maple continued in her natural un-hushed 'this is not a secret' voice.

"I'm sure there are other ponies who might want to watch the debut match of a slightly famous pony who transferred in from another territory."

"I thought the performance was amazing! Static's illusions are so lifelike. Not just the birds, his illusionary self in the forest made me do a double take! I'll bet even a smart pony like Amber would have trouble telling them apart. And getting a real bird to show up made it even better! So cool!"

Static smiles and nods as he remembers what he could could only describe as 'Amber Bowling'. "Hmm, interesting story, that!"

"I won't need tickets because I've already got a spot closer than ringside..tehehehe" Straightening back up and acting like nothing strange had just happened Maple continued in her natural un-hushed 'this is not a secret' voice.

"I'm sure there are other ponies who might want to watch the debut match of a slightly famous pony who transferred in from another territory."

"I've actually never been to a wrestling match before. What could possibly be better seating than ringsi...ooooooh! Heh! I may just have to see that!"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Upon receiving the other combination box from acquisitions, Amber Spark and Snowy Skies found that the two had the same symbols but not in the exact same alignments.

"It's becoming all the more likely that we need a third of these puzzle cubes from the third of those cave pathways." Snowy notes sourly.

"Ms. actually but as far as tours, that's been taken care of. Melon Hide suggested you, Maple, and it went well. Now..." Brisk Iron set the business card on the table. "...this may be a concern. I'm primarily letting the police handle it but I find myself worried about what the real end goal is. That stallion was nothing more than an uninformed pawn."

"It's becoming all the more likely that we need a third of these puzzle cubes from the third of those cave pathways." Snowy notes sourly.

"It's possible. But the exploration was essentially a failed attempt - there's much we don't know about those caves, including how much of what we saw was naturally occurring. And we don't know anything at all about that hallway where this symbol reappeared," Amber said, lifting the first cube with her magic to point at the matching symbol with a hoof. "I've been assuming that the rings are a combination lock - the right sequence of symbols would open the chests. But if that were the case, why are the symbols not in the same order? It's becoming very tempting to suggest simply dismantling the locks somehow." Amber shook her head. "We should still be in that cave system, but we'll have to make do with what we have for now."

Maple Stat back down.. having not really realized she'd been standing in her spot.

"Sorry, Ms. Chief Director Brisk Iron Ma'am."

Maple takes a moment to actually look at this card... there was something funny about the flower logo
Spoiler

"Rhapsody seemed to think the agents might have been from COIN. I don't know if there's any hard evidence to support that...yet. But given that who ever she was tracking seemed to be specifically targeting her and the fact that Light Fantastic saw Dazzling roaming around all business like the same day...I don't think it's too big a leap. It certainly isn't beneath them to hire pawns without telling them exactly what they're signing on for."

Static took another look at the card. He hadn't really looked at the card before because of...reasons. But after all this, he was reeeeally wanting to get to the bottom of this ! whole COIN thing.

Spoiler

"It's possible. But the exploration was essentially a failed attempt - there's much we don't know about those caves, including how much of what we saw was naturally occurring. And we don't know anything at all about that hallway where this symbol reappeared," Amber said, lifting the first cube with her magic to point at the matching symbol with a hoof. "I've been assuming that the rings are a combination lock - the right sequence of symbols would open the chests. But if that were the case, why are the symbols not in the same order? It's becoming very tempting to suggest simply dismantling the locks somehow." Amber shook her head. "We should still be in that cave system, but we'll have to make do with what we have for now."

"Just because the truth is true doesn't mean we have to like it." Snowy commiserates. "They could just have different solutions. Like identical lockers with different combinations."

Light Fantastic observed the chaos around her.

"Is there anything I can do?" she asked.

The mare behind the counter said to Light Fantastic, "If she's helping me behind the counter, could you deliver coffee to the tables?"

Spoiler

Moving a decidedly decent distance away from Savant Sard and Night Cap, Rhapsody heard, "Stop thief!" And a curious rumbling sound.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Just because the truth is true doesn't mean we have to like it." Snowy commiserates. "They could just have different solutions. Like identical lockers with different combinations."

"Certainly, but it does leave one to wonder why the symbols would be arranged differently to give any clue at all." Now having the two chests sitting next to one another in adjacent specimen trays, Amber was starting to think as Snowy had hinted that they might be clues to one another, even if a part of the puzzle was still missing. Amber glanced around the lab and back to the trays. "Do you think they might be connected somehow? Does shifting the ring of one have some effect on the other?" Amber began idly rolling one of the dials with her magic.

"It might be COIN, I'm certainly not ruling it out. However, it has me wondering what their actual goal is. The things they've done--that we know of--seem to have clear goals. This felt a bit like wanton calamity. Granted, this could just be the precursor." From looking at the card, Maplejack was able to discern that the flower was indeed a tulip. It was a distinct insignia yet the image was quite simple so the average pony could tell what it was. Static Signal stared at the card and didn't spot anything of note until he realized he had seen the image before. On rare occasions when they had technical difficulties, the Manehattan police department sometimes used the machinery from the Manehattan Keep's Document Department. One day, they developed some photos of a recently thwarted heist. Only one of the photos was used in the newspapers while the rest were presumably kept in police files. One of those photos was of some broken gears that had this insignia engraved onto them. The heist itself was a brazen attempt rob the passengers of an air ferry mid flight and then escape on a crazy hang glider contraption.

Static stared at the card. "There's just something about this symbol. I know I've seen it before...like, before Rhapsody even gave us those cards, I've seen it before. It's like a memory at the edge of my peripheral vision but if I try to look straight at it, it vanishes." Static squints at the card, trying to shake the memory loose. His eyes suddenly pop open. "Oh! Oh oh...um...Ms. Iron...Ma'am?"

Static tells the story as well as he can remember it.

"Personally, I'm not sure about that wanton calamity bit. Everything I've seen, Wand of the North Wind, Sword of Shining Dark, the Strut, a mind-controlling harmonica...they're building their power base, building up as much magic power as they can. There may be no profit to be made in the end of the world...but sounds to me like they want to be pretty sure they can take it over."

Static sighs. "The thing that bugs me is that that pony said that whoever hired him wanted him to test it so they could decide if they wanted to buy more. Someone's mass-producing these things. I think it would behoove us to find out who's making them, who's buying...and why."

"Certainly, but it does leave one to wonder why the symbols would be arranged differently to give any clue at all." Now having the two chests sitting next to one another in adjacent specimen trays, Amber was starting to think as Snowy had hinted that they might be clues to one another, even if a part of the puzzle was still missing. Amber glanced around the lab and back to the trays. "Do you think they might be connected somehow? Does shifting the ring of one have some effect on the other?" Amber began idly rolling one of the dials with her magic.

"If they have different patterns, then we aren't looking at locking runes or anything that would be uniformly used, like an enchantment. They could be combinations to the lock wheels, or they could be labels. In any case, when the symbols were inscribed they were intended to be legible to those who wished to open the chest. Obviously." He sighs. "So at the end of the day, we really need to translate these symbols before we can get anywhere. Usually by now there would be some disturbance that we'd find Night Cap right in the middle of."

Amber nodded. "Should we just wait for him to show up with the emergency, then?"

"Sure," said Light Fantastic.

Spoiler

Hearing the cry for help Rhapsody darted down a nearby dark alleyway. Making doubly sure no one was around. Opening up her saddlebag and undoes a secret pocket and pulls out her costume. She tried to keep an extra around for times like this. She quickly changes into her alter ego of Black Night, and stashes the saddlebags to be retrieved later. She takes to the skies and soars in the direction the cry for help came from.

Taking to the skies, Black Night initially saw a storekeeper presumably giving chase. What he was chasing was a sight to behold. The robber was an earth pony in a domino mask, however, he wasn't running on the street. No, the criminal was running on a treadmill-like contraption with metal treads hooked onto the sides. The contraption was picking up speed and he showed no regard to the ponies in his path that were diving out of the way.

Amber nodded. "Should we just wait for him to show up with the emergency, then?"

Snowy grimaces. "I suppose, but I hate doing nothing. I'm going to get my viola."

Black Night blinks at the sight of the theif... She is almost dumbfounded as she tries to take it all in, until she realizes one crucial detail: 'I get to fight my first... actual... Supervillian! SWEET!' The comic book nerd in her completely ecstatic at that thought as she dives down toward the Treadmill-based villain and tackles him. "You're not getting away that easily!"

Spoiler

The police receptionist finished writing. "We'll certainly be on the lookout. Unless you..." She paused and blinked. "I'm sorry sir but we're going to need you to wait here."

Steel Flint stuck her head into the lab and addressed Amber Spark and Snowy Skies. "Sorry to interrupt. There seems to be a bit of a concern down at the police station involving Night Cap so if you could please take this folder, it would be appreciated. It's simply verification of his prior location."

Upon hearing Static Signal's comments, Brisk Iron responded with, "Hmm. I'll certainly be following up with the police about this. The biggest problem is the lack of leads. Whoever hired him seems to have tried to cover their tracks but there's bound to be a slip up somewhere.

As far as more direct Keep news, *sigh* I've acquired the funds so that the film you and Night Cap found will be fully restored and multiple copies made."

"Yes ma'am," said Amber, stepping forward and levitating the folder. "You do study your colleagues closely, Mr. Skies."

Snowy grins widely. It felt good to be right. "Extreme cases like Night Cap are easier than others. I know the way to the police station." He set out down the hallway, Amber (hopefully) in tow.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static nods. "If there's anything I can do to help with this. I hate to make it sound like this whole thing with COIN is personal with me...but...well...after being forced to relocate and being threatened about what would happen if I ever ran in to one of their agents again, I'm sure you'll understand if I say I'd love to have this all resolved.

"And I'm glad to know the film was able to be restored. I'll make sure to let Night Cap know next time I see him."
Static winces. It was a really old film after all. No real dialogue, silent film having gone the way of the bushwoolie as it were...he just hoped the Keep saw a return on its investment. "I'm sure that even such a brief film should be quite a source of historical information long forgotten. It's...exciting. I bet Rhapsody would love to get a peek at it."

The treadmill manipulating miscreant was knocked off his vehicle by the swift tackle from Black Night. However, the malignant momentum meant the menacing machine continued barreling down the street. The criminal angrily swung a strong right hoof at Black Night. "You?!? Aren't you only active at night?"

Spoiler

The police receptionist said, "If you would just wait here, I'm sure we will get this all sorted out."

"I hope it all gets resolved as well. Well, it seems we should all be heading back to work. There'll be a meeting after your shifts to address some things."

As Maple got up to leave she puzzled for a moment about Mr. Static's comment about Miss Rhapsody.

"Mr. Static, um, I didn't know Miss Rhapsody was helping you with your film... you must have made a really good pitch to get her help with something Mr. Night Cap is involved with... does she know a lot about Nightmare Moon?"

Static gives a hesitant start, wondering how to say it. "I...think...at this point, I think Rhapsody would probably rather work with Night Cap than me. But, yes, she knows quite a bit about Luna...far more than I realized...far more than I do."

It didn't escape Static's notice that Maple went for the 'Nightmare Moon' angle instead of 'Luna'. Still, he decided not to press the issue with Ms. Iron standing right there.

"I'm hoping we can still work together though. We may not like each other, but her knowledge could still be invaluable when it comes to Luna. It could save on weeks of researching."

Maple held a hoof out over her face to direct the sound away from the two other ponies nearby...

"I'm kinda not really a big fan of the princesses Mr. Static, I don't know if you noticed. But I really hope your movie is good anyway." Having divulged her big secret to Mr. Static Maple smiled and walked away toward the Tour stand. But not before thanking Ms. Chief Director Brisk Iron for the Lovely honor of presenting, and for the wonderful lunch. She also Gave Miss Monsoon a big hug and told her she'd see her later at the meeting and hoped she'd have a lovely afternoon.

"Yeah, I noticed," Static responded as Maple moved away. "Thanks for the support, though."

Static turns to Brisk Iron. "Yes, thank you for that opportunity. It's always nice to be able to show others what you're capable of."

He then turns to Misty. "I'm...not much of a hugger. But, always a pleasure," he says with a nod.

He then heads off to Ready Quill's office to see where he was needed for the rest of the day.

The police receptionist said, "Simply be patient and all should be resolved."

After some continued back and forth inquiry and deflection between Night Cap and the receptionist, Snowy Skies and Amber Spark arrived at the police station.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Amber nodded and followed Mr. Skies out. She couldn't quite be sure whether to be embarrassed not to know where the police station was, but thought back to their earlier conversation and reminded herself that it didn't really matter.

The treadmill manipulating miscreant was knocked off his vehicle by the swift tackle from Black Night. However, the malignant momentum meant the menacing machine continued barreling down the street. The criminal angrily swung a strong right hoof at Black Night. "You?!? Aren't you only active at night?"

Spoiler

"I'll never rest so long as this city needs me." Black Night replies and delivers a swift kick to criminal before taking off after the mad machine he was driving seeing as it didn't stop now that it no longer had a driver.

Spoiler

As Snowy Skies steps through the threshold, he hears a conversation that sounds not unlike a game of ping pong.
Ping?
Pong.
Ping?
Pong.
Ping?
Pong.
He pauses, just inside the doorway, watching Night Cap and the poor receptionist talk back and forth with morbid fascination. Query and answer, query and answer. How long had the rally been going on? How long could it persist?

"Hold on one moment." The police receptionist turned her attention from Night Cap to Amber Spark and Snowy Skies. "How may I help you?"

Spoiler

Snowy coughs to cover a laugh. "We're with him. We have some paperwork that should clear up any number of questions."

Amber drifted the folder toward the receptionist. "I'm not certain how 'with him' we are until you can tell us what happened here, but we were asked to deliver this for him."

"Thank you." The police receptionist looked over the paperwork. "Sorry for the holdup, Night Cap. You're now free to go." Just then, the clock struck Noon and a wooden cuckoo popped out once. It returned very slowly and didn't pop out any more times. "Odd. I wonder if the clock is broken. Shouldn't be since it's brand..." The police receptionist suddenly fainted.

A part of Amber couldn't help perking in curiosity at the mention of the malfunctioning mechanism, but it quickly joined the rest of her on the way to the floor.

Spoiler

Rhapsody managed to catch up to the treadmill vehicle. Now how to stop it? The pony she knocked off gave chase, keeping moderate pace but not actually gaining on them. However, he was still running faster than the shopkeeper.

Spoiler

Snowy looks expectantly at the clock, then staggers to one side as...something washes over him. He wasn't certain what it was, but he knew what it felt like to worm your way into someone else's head. A mental guitar riff transformed into a physical electric wail, reverberating through the room as he forcibly emptied his head. Breathing a little heavily, he squints at Night Cap. "Now what?"

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As they walk back to the Keep, Static regards Maple. "So, away from the Chief Directors ears, just between you and me...how are you liking STOMP? The first mission seems to usually be the worst kind of wake up call...at least it was for me and seemed to be for you too. But now you've had your second go at it. So...thoughts?"

His vision steadily clearing, Snowy regards Night Cap curiously. "You're either really good at keeping people out of your head, or nobody wanted you asleep. Now help me get Amber behind the counter." He bends down and begins to drag her towards the secretary's window.

Misty gives both of her friends an enthusiastic farewell as they leave.

"Guess I should let Wingston know how the ceremony went, huh? Have a good afternoon, Chief Director, and thanks for... uh... everything!" she says as she takes off back towards the weather team's meeting spot.

She had a feeling there was a reason she'd been selected to keep a watch on the weather at the ceremony, giving her the chance to see Static and Maple's presentation, to have a good old-fashioned throwdown with some rocky ruffians, and even to meet the city's mayor up close and personal! Oh, and the sandwiches. Delicious sandwiches... she did have the Chief Director to thank for everything!

Snowy grunts in acknowledgement of the help.

Spoiler

"We call the police." Snowy says drily, pushing Amber's limp form over the edge of the counter and wincing as she slid over the other side. "But I suppose what we should do first is see who's outside. If the entire town is asleep, then something bigger is happening. If it's just the police station, then I bet heading straight for the--" His eyes widen. "We're going to jail. Right now. Follow me." He darts off, heading towards where he thinks the jail cells might be. Could their old assailants still be held here?

He didn't have his violin.

The thing that Night Cap and Snowy Skies immediately noticed was that all of the unicorns in the building were unconscious. Some of the earth ponies and pegasi were attending to the unicorns while others seemed to be headed in the same direction Night Cap and Snowy Skies were--towards the jail cells. Upon reaching that area, they found several officers on the floor groaning in pain and a single sheet of paper suspended in midair with slowly withering edges.

"At least they didn't want to talk to you, specifically." Snowy comments as they see more waking souls. He takes a quick glance at the jail cells before inspecting the paper.

Spoiler

There was a single entrance to the cell block and it could be seen that all the jail cells were closed and a few prisoners were in them. Snowy Skies could feel that the paper was being affected by a lingering spell that was slowly dissipating but was making him feel ill as he tried to inspect it with his magic. While there was something written on the paper, it wasn't large so it wasn't easy to see from a distance.

Spoiler

Night Cap found that there were two spells at play. One was swiftly fading and seemed to be what knocked out the unicorns. However, the paper seemed to be shifted just slightly outside of time. Upon touching it, the paper returned to a normal state instead of hanging in the air. The unicorns started to awake and Amber Spark could hear the cuckoo clock chirp eleven times. Night Cap could see a single sentence written on the paper in a fairly expensive purple ink in a particular shade he had seen before: 'Sorry for the mess.'

Rhapsody managed to catch up to the treadmill vehicle. Now how to stop it? The pony she knocked off gave chase, keeping moderate pace but not actually gaining on them. However, he was still running faster than the shopkeeper.

Spoiler

Black Night lands on the machine, and starts to look over the controls to see what they do.

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Amber slowly stood up and shook her head. "I assume this is your emergency, Night Cap?" she asked, her voice trailing away as she realized that Snowy and Night Cap had gone. She ran through what she knew - she didn't remember being attacked, but found herself beaten and stuffed behind the counter. Somepony must have come in behind them and - had they taken the paranoid paranormalists with them?

Amber stepped out from behind the counter, keeping alert. Whoever had attacked could return at any moment - they clearly had the run of the station. She "hooved" the inscribed brass orbs in her saddlebag with her magic, not drawing them out but keeping them at ready, and peeked down the hallway at the back of the room.

There were at least two possibilities. Whoever had attacked might have knocked everyone out on the way in and still be inside. That would explain why Amber felt she'd been hit by an apple cart. But if the attack had been a magical one, a simple sleep spell or something of that kind, the attackers might well be gone already, letting up the spell only after they had left. The clock may have helped decide the question - if it wasn't broken and running backwards.

The best thing would be to cover the exit and hope someone with information showed up. Amber stepped toward the front door, took a quick look outside, stepped back to the center of the room, and tried very hard to look intimidating.

"Hold on, son. That's evidence." Detective Gem Champron walked into the room looking directly at Night Cap.

"I still want to find out if anyone's missing--" Snowy was cut off by the imposing-looking detective who was, unfortunately, confronting Night Cap. "Did something happen while everyone was unconscious? Did anything--or anyone--go missing?" He sounds curious rather than frustrated.

"Oh, Mr. Static, this wasn't a Stomp mission. I even asked. Ms. Chief Director Brisk Iron said, ahem.." Maple makes a stern business like face that only manages to twitch ever so slightly up at the corners. She then replied in her best Impression of the C.D.

"I'm less worried about the mayor and more worried about everypony else."

"If this were a stomp mission I'd have made sure the Mayor liked the presentation." Maple returned to looking at the landmarks to their either side as the walked.

Static raised an eyebrow. Usually he was the difficult one to get a simple answer from. He wasn't sure if Maple was focused on something or just dodging the question. So he figured he'd try again.

"The presentation may not have been a STOMP mission. But fighting off a cucarocka invasion and bringing in the one who brainwashed them...?"

"But that wasn't the point.
Static takes a deep breath. "Nightmare Heights was kinda sucky for everypony. But I was paying attention to you. That wasn't just a bad time I saw in your case. That was dissalusionment."

*slight pause to let it sink in*

"Anything you want or need to talk about?"

"I thought you and Mr. Skies made great Illusions. I really thought the images in the sky when we were all trying to regroup were brilliant ideas." Maple looks at Static Signal without a hint of any -deception or evasion. Did somepony 'dis' them Mr. Static ?

Static facehoofs. "That's not what I..."

Static shakes his head. First it was trying to get Amber to call him 'Static'. Then it was Night Caps...every conversation with him ever. Conversations with Snowy were fairly straightforward...until he goes into cryptic musical metaphors. Can't anypony...just...talk???

"Never mind!" She may not have been intentionally dodging the question, or maybe she was. In any case, he was getting tired of trying to find the perfect combination of just the right words to get past everypony's idiosyncrasies. Right now he just wanted to get back to the Keep and finish out the day.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

Black Night found the controls simple enough. Speed was built around the treadmill itself, there was a mechanism for steering, and a pressure plate with a big red octagon that was presumably the brake.

Spoiler

Amber Spark found an unconscious Savant Sard with a large box setting on her back. Meanwhile, Snowy Skies could hear several officers respond to his inquiry as they started to stir:
"Silent Belle is gone."
"I remember her frowning and then she said, 'Oh no, this is gonna hurt' before laying flat on the ground."
"Black sparkles...just like the last time."
"Some mare popped up and smiled at all of us. Shouldn't be possible, you can't wink out of here."
"She's a suspect behind a recent robbery attempt. 'Dazzling Midnight' I believe."
"Wait, who are you?"
Detective Gem Champron walked towards Night Cap and outstretched a hoof. "If it's dangerous then there's even more reason you shouldn't have it. Your concern is appreciated but there are safe places outside city limits to study it. I'd rather we talk, especially if you have any leads. You can either give me the paper and be free to go or we can put you in a nice, uncomfortable jail cell. Your choice."

Maple watched Mr. Static nearly trip trying to walk and touch his face at the same time.

"Are you okay Mr. Static!" Maple asks, using a wing tip to dust his face lightly. "Earth Ponies can't fly remember.... You shouldn't try to do too many things at once. - focus on one thing and then move past it on to the next thing... or sometimes if you can't get past it, move on anyway." Maple thought about the mission Mr. Static was talking about in the swamp.

"Like that time when we were fighting BrusstleSprouts in the swamp... Maple scrunched up her nose a she said his 'name' ... " got sent away and was really worried about everypony else... so I yelled as loud as I could and you showed me the way back.... I was so mad, and scared and worried for the teams that I came back faster and meaner than I thought I could be -or ever want to be again... and when I tried my best to help... Miss Rhapsody was mad at me. Maple put her wing away, as there was clearly nothing on Static's face -anymore, since she was an excellent feather duster.

"I didn't really handle that well. but... after trying a few ways to work it out... and a friendly hoof from a friend ...Maple winks and boops Static on the nose. ...I decided to forget it and move on." Maple Smiled super Big at Static and laughed a little.

"You just need to stop, before you scratch your nose."

Removing the box, Amber quickly looked over her coworker for signs of - whatever it was that ponies looked for signs of when somepony was unconscious.

Spoiler

Amber Spark found an unconscious Savant Sard with a large box setting on her back. Meanwhile, Snowy Skies could hear several officers respond to his inquiry as they started to stir:
"Silent Belle is gone."
"I remember her frowning and then she said, 'Oh no, this is gonna hurt' before laying flat on the ground."
"Black sparkles...just like the last time."
"Some mare popped up and smiled at all of us. Shouldn't be possible, you can't wink out of here."
"She's a suspect behind a recent robbery attempt. 'Dazzling Midnight' I believe."
"Wait, who are you?"
Detective Gem Champron walked towards Night Cap and outstretched a hoof. "If it's dangerous then there's even more reason you shouldn't have it. Your concern is appreciated but there are safe places outside city limits to study it. I'd rather we talk, especially if you have any leads. You can either give me the paper and be free to go or we can put you in a nice, uncomfortable jail cell. Your choice."

Silent Belle was a familiar name. She was one of the COIN operatives from the assault that had started the whole Strut business. Dazzling Midnight was only vaguely familiar. He'd heard the name at least once before. Her name had been said with a certain measure of...fear. Where was that? It wasn't long ago...

He was there for me when I had to confront Dazzling Midnight. I absolutely trust him.

Static knew her. Static feared her. Night Cap apparently knew her, too, but now was not the time to talk about that. He was still hesitant to magically grip the paper, so he steps forward and dips a hand into Night Cap's bag, pulling out the paper and handing it to the detective. "I came down here to make certain you didn't end up in jail, I'm not about to screw that up." He says sternly, almost glaring at Night Cap. He wanted to exit the station, quickly.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static waves Maple away, wondering why she was trying to steady a pony who obviously wasn't tripping.

"It...wasn't just Rhapsody. That whole mission kinda had everyone on edge. I was kinda angry myself when we finally had Barometz calmed down again and then you came flying in and kicking him in the face. But I understand why you did it."

"But in any case, it's just...before Nightmare Heights..."
[how do I phrase this without being offensive yet still get the point across to someone who's never heard an idiom in her life!?!?]

"Remember on the ride to Nightmare Heights, you said that surely the ponies in COIN couldn't be all bad? You always look to see the good in everypony. I don't know what it is about you that you can do that."

"But when you start to see things in the STOMP line of work, seeing the good in everypony can get to be more and more difficult."

"I spent my entire life looking at ponies like...ponies who would beat down other ponies just because they could, ponies getting punished for doing the right thing..."

"I wish I could see things the way you do. And I certainly hope you never come around to seeing things the way I do. But too many experiences like Nightmare Heights..."

"I just...I hope you'll talk to somepony about it before it gets to that point."

Maple Hugs Static.

"I'm Sorry Mr. Static. I'm Lucky to have you to talk to. I wish you had a you to talk to too"

Static knew he should resist the hug. He's not a hugger. Darn Maple! She's changing him! He allows the hug.

"I've actually gotten several someone's since coming here to Caballuston. Amber, Night Cap, Snowy, Mr. Sands...you. It helps."

"Maybe when I get my memory back I'll be a smart pony like you and them Mr. Static, and I could be more helpful." Maple's face turns dower for a moment, but it passes.

"okay, Mr. Static, when I get home tonight I'll write my old-self a letter so I wont forget we're friends and i promised to help you when I'm smart again....but um, Mr. Static, if I do forget or remember that I'm some horrible mean pony and don't try to still be friends with you when I'm the old me again... I hope you remember the me that was your friend, and don't be too mad at the new old me...who comes back, unless she me is a real rump... I already wrote me a letter asking me not to be a rump to my friends... "

Maple trails off into mumbles as she stops in her tracks and covers her face with her wings ... tiny damp circles form and dry on the warm afternoon cobbles.

Static was floored. He didn't even think about how he should be annoyed that Maple has made him not only accept a hug, but now here he is initiating the hug.

"You're memory comes back, it may be a whammy whether your old self is somepony you like or not. But you never have to be someone you don't want to be. You always have a choice. I'm kinda proof of that!"

Maple slowly peeled her feathers back from her eyes as she felt the unmistakable rapture of an unexpected hug... it tingled all the way through to he little tummy.

her tiny hoofs reached around Mr. Static's neck... first 2 and then 2 more.

Spoiler

Maple's wings flap triumphantly now full of hug power... she looks up at Mr. Static and Smiles.. this time tears of joy form in her eyes.

"See Static, Earth ponies can fly... and I think I might need a cider."

Static chokelaughs at that. "You are not touching that stuff. It is evil and hard as Tartarus to give up!" Then the other part about earth ponies flying registered. He looked down to see the ground not where it was supposed to be. "Yip! Ground-not-under-hooves-not-good-not-good-not-good!"

Misty makes it back to the weather team's meeting spot once again. Almost.

"Sorry boss... I think I might've had a bit too much excitement today... it caught up with me rather suddenly..." Her voice comes from several feet below Wingston's eye level, as she struggles to maintain altitude.

Savant Sard tried to shake off the dizziness. "What happened?" Elsewhere, Detective Gem Champron very carefully placed the paper in one of his pockets. "The other ponies on the force are certainly my friends so I understand your concern. In fact, it seems Mr. Skies is doing the right thing as a friend and making sure you stay out of trouble. Come with me to my office. If anypony else you know is here, let me know so we can have this meeting together."

"Honestly, ma'am, I haven't an inkling. I was as unconscious as you a few minutes ago and stuffed under the desk. I'm beginning to think that ponies suddenly losing consciousness is something that just happens around Mr. Cap and Mr. Skies. Are you alright?"

Wingston Blues swiftly grabbed a cloud and set it under the tired Misty Monsoon. "Just you rest. If you're up to it later, the Keep is starting a bowling league and some are practicing tonight. We may be a little farther outside than most of them but the offer was made."

Misty can't resist the cuddly softness of a cloud nap. "Thanks... bowling... sounds fun..." she murmurs. "Oh, did anyone happen across a flying stage curtain... by chance...?" With that last thought, she drifted off to sleep.

"I don't believe we've met." Snowy says, glancing around the room. "I just know how to communicate with authority figures." Not bothering to explain, he continues. "Amber's out at the front desk. I think Savant Sard was there too? After watching your back and forth with the receptionist, she looked a little relieved to be passing out."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Snowy Skies and I haven't met. It's just that I've read his file and I'm usually good with remembering faces from photos." Detective Gem Champron waved for the two to follow and walked out to the reception area. "Would an Amber Spark and Savant Sard please come with me to my office."

Snowy follows the Detective. "You seem awfully polite for someone who's read my file, detective...?"

"Well, this would have been the perfect time to try some funny business and since nopony's laughing, I figure you're on the up and up. Spoke with your employer and I also heard you helped resolved that whole messy business with that ballet a few days ago. If you're turning your life around, I'd rather support that. I mean, unless you'd rather I be impolite. We're still in the precinct if that's how you'd prefer the cart to roll."

Snowy chuckles, at a lot of things. Detective Champron was enjoyably direct. "I'm just surprised, not dissatisfied. It's a pleasant change of pace." He says in good humor.

Amber resisted the urge to take a note as she followed.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple's full body chuckle is to much for her grip on Static Signal and she has to let him go... dropping the startled stallion the 8th of an inch he'd been flying.
"I'm sorry Static, I shouldn't laugh... I didn't like being off the ground much higher than this until recently too." Maple settled back down to the ground.
"...do you need a moment?" Maple looked around the quiet street, she'd come thins way because it was usually a fairly quiet stretch to walk... most of the buildings were backed to this street so there wasn't much that ever went on ... she figured it would be helpful for Static to gather his thoughts and ease back into work mode. And here she'd gone and agitated him again.
"I know faster ways back to the keep so you can sit and rest for a minute or two and we still shouldn't be late."

"Sit and rest? Do I look like I need a rest? I could outrun you back to the Keep! In fact..." Static gave Maple a widening grin.

"On your mark...get set...GO!!!!" and off he ran!

Spoiler

Maple sighs

"Colts and their egos"

Spoiler

Static finally catches up to Maple at the Keep several minutes later. "You know, you weren't really supposed to use your wings like that. Flying is totally cheating."

"Oh, of course Static, here I got you a water from the concession stand for when you got here." Maple Smiles as she holds it out to him... not pointing out that he never said any rules.. what with running off like he did... nor did she rub it in that this door was nowhere near the concession stand.

"Don't look at me like that! You don't think it would be cheating if you were racing Amber and she just decided to wink to the finish line? Flying is definitely cheating!" He doesn't even bother taking the water.

"Sore loser it is then." Maple puts the bottle away in her pack, 2 bits wasted... she had plenty of time too, would have been cheaper to have gone to the breakroom and brew a pot of coffee...

"This ain't over between us! You cheated. After work, rematch, you and me...no flying!"

"I don't think that's how it works Static... the winner decides if and when she grants a rematch." Maple grins, eyebrow raised and wiggly as she rubbed a fore-hoof on her chest and then held it out to inspect the shine.

"Are you saying you're afraid to try and race me without flying?"

Maple opened the door and walked into the keep.

Static ground his teeth. Darn cheating pegasus! This wasn't over.

He entered the keep and went to Ready Quill's office to see where he was needed.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Black Night seeing that there wasn't an easy way to turn this machine around, first decides to try guiding it towards the police station; They're gonna have to get it one way or another, might as well try special deliver it to them. "Let's see how far you're willing to get this machine back." She states looking back to the owner that is giving chase as she attempts to steer it.

Spoiler

Black Night could tell that the machine wasn't particularly responsive but did begin turning as she steered. The criminal following called out, "Where are you going? I haven't finished paying for that yet!" As he continued chasing. Mean while, a loud churning could be heard from the machine.

Spoiler

"Sometimes, time likes to take it's sweet time. Been a crazy week." Arriving at his office, Detective Gem Champron sat behind the desk. There were only two chairs, though Savant Sard sat on the floor and seemingly guarded the box she was carrying. "It's very problematic that Silent Belle was broken out by Dazzling Midnight, considering that heinous assault on the museum. Since Silent Belle was the only one removed and there was no property damage, it seems this was pretty deliberate. A lot of interesting details revealed, though. Unfortunately, those details would be a whole lot better if they involved a lot less crime."

Amber remained standing and scowled at Det. Champron's mention of Silent Belle. "I can't understand why that mare 'has it out' for me, but it does explain why I was beaten and stuffed under a desk after the spell hit. What have you uncovered?"

Snowy makes a nod into a gesture of general affirmation. Everyone in the room was completely right about what they were thinking. "Why exactly did you want to speak to us in your office, detective?"

"Well, I've read Mr. Skies file and feel he's on the level but I don't know how many of my coworkers have read it and what their opinions are. Rather not stir the kettle of accusations. I do feel that the culprits involved means that someone from the Keep needs to know. Though...I wonder if in all your artifacts you'd have resources we might not. At least a different eye. It was said that Silent Belle noticed this was about to happen, so there's some sort of tell for the effect, outside of the 'black sparkles' visual that has become infamous for the exit. She also knew it would 'hurt' in some way so there's a fai! rly unfriendly helping of friendly fire involved. I doubt this gets used causally." Detective Gem Champron pulled out the sheet of paper that had been left floating in the air. "This note also matches prior interaction. There's a twisted politeness layered on top of sinister intent. What I'm going to do is ask all of you a favor. See if the museum knows about any possible way somepony might get around an anti magic effect. I get the feeling this Dazzling Midnight character is either very powerful, figured out a way to cheat, or both. I'm leaning hard on assuming both."

Black Night could tell that the machine wasn't particularly responsive but did begin turning as she steered. The criminal following called out, "Where are you going? I haven't finished paying for that yet!" As he continued chasing. Mean while, a loud churning could be heard from the machine.

Spoiler

"Oh such a pity. Your criminals really should learn to pay off your toys before taking them for a joyride. Never know what might happen to them." She states as she continues trying to work the controls, having maybe just a bit too much fun with all of this, yet still trying to be careful. "So, I bet you probably want this back in one piece, so time to see how good at running you really are."

Spoiler

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Ms. Flint may know something. She was able to dispel magical communications during the attack on the museum - if she's studied spells for suppressing magic, she must know some of their limitations," Amber said. "My experience with them is limited to having to choose between a source of light and a source of coffee during a blackout. I just don't understand how anypony can make do with only their hooves, do you?"

"Well, you know what? You probably haven't seen the last of me!" The criminal ran off in the opposite direction. Just then, a fruit cart rolled in front of Black Night!

Spoiler

"Funny you say that ma'am, considering I do well enough with just my hooves. My mother had a horn and half the time she complained about finding a hat that fit right. And it seems like unicorns were hit hardest by whatever this was. Still, possible leads are good. If any of you know anything else about Dazzling Midnight or Silent Belle, new info will certainly be appreciated."

Snowy nods. "We'll ask them." He says simply, stretching a little before turning to exit the room. "Have a good day."

Snowy nods. "We'll ask them." He says simply, stretching a little before turning to exit the room. "Have a good day."

"We've checked and it doesn't seem like she's studied locally. We also checked in with Celestia's school but no luck there either. We'll keep looking. Well, I can't hold you forever so I should let you folks get back to work."

"Funny you say that ma'am, considering I do well enough with just my hooves. My mother had a horn and half the time she complained about finding a hat that fit right.

"Oh, you wouldn't imagine," said Amber under her breath, raising a hoof to her forehead. She nodded as Det. Champron continued.

"Yes, the important thing for us, with no offense intended of course, is retrieving our colleague here. I'm certain you're quite capable of dealing with this escaped criminal business." Amber followed Mr. Skies out of the room.

"Simple, just come down to the station and ask for me."

Maple waves at the concision stand attendant as she makes her way to the tour stand which wasn't far away. She remembered him from the tour with Light Fantastic's group.. it makes sense that they would rotate between counter and cart duties ... or perhaps he'd gotten a promotion.. or demotion. Questions to save for later at any rate.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Night Cap is not quite so eager to return to work. He always feels pressured to work there.

"Well then," Snowy says in a completely neutral tone, dropping a cone of silence around them. "That was quite the event. I haven't actually been party to a jailbreak until now."

"Yes, well, good to maintain a positive attitude," said Amber, nodding cautiously. "Mr. Skies and I were actually hoping to speak with you before all of this - hmm, this this. We were hoping to have your input on the puzzle of these locked chests we recovered during the cave exploration. You seemed to know at least something of what was going on back there, and that puts you ahead of us, I should think."

As soon as Static Signal returned to the Documents Department, Ready Quill and an unfamiliar mare greeted him. She was a yellow unicorn with an orange and pink mane and an excited expression. "Glad-you're-back-Static. This-is-Flairvoyant. She's-the-pony-who-will-be-on-the-other-end-of-your-Morse-code-communications-from-this-point-forward. Her-specialty-is-in-navigation-and-she's-led-a-few-STOMP-expeditions." Flairvoyant playfully waved a hello with her horn. "Pleasure to meet you! Looking forward to trying out this whole desk work thing. It'll be good to get caught up on my reading in less hazardous conditions. I hear this branch of the Keep has the most currently released edition of the Encyclopædia Equestria."

Spoiler

"Yes, right." Snowy mutters, a mite embarrassed. Wrapped up in his thoughts about Dazzling Midnight, he'd actually forgotten why they'd been looking for Night Cap in the first place. "Amber matched the writing on the chests to the embroidery on some objects in Desert Rose's prison. Do you remember much about those rooms?"

Static raised an eyebrow in surprise. "A face behind the Morse Code transmitter? That should be...interesting." He almost wanted to quiz her on the fictionality of an airstrike, but decided to bite his tongue in favor of starting things off on the right hoof. "Pleased to meet you, Ms. Flairvoyant." It then accurred to him that he'd just been in a fight and had been running. He probably smelled like sweat. Not a great first impression.

While she didn't head to the break-room to get Static coffee, Maple had used the extra time to freshen up before she went to meet him at the doorway. While she certainly didn't need the bath, she wouldn't want to meet new ponies with a shiny nose. She wouldn't tell him he was that slog, he was already being a rump about loosing ..Maple chuckled a little. Covering her suddenly sheepish grin with her feathers... the term 'fresh a a daisy' didn't technically apply - as her wingtips always smelled of her favorite snack... and namesake... Maple just wished she remembered if it was natural, or just that her feathers had adopted the scent from repeated exposure.

>_< The thought of giving up sweets long enough to test the theory sent a shiver down her back... or maybe she was still a little damp from the bath.

She had nearly decided whether she would sooner give up hugs or candy ...when she made it back to the tour stand.

Misty coasts along on her fluffy bed, blissfully unaware that the cloud she was on was slowly but surely descending as it passed over the town.

*POOF!* An encounter with the business end of a weather vane brings her sleepy ride to a sudden end, dumping her onto an unfamiliar building's rooftop.

"Ah! That was very refreshing!" she says aloud as she rights herself. Descending from the rooftop to the street below, she checks to see just where she's ended up.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Melon Hide was waiting for when Maplejack returned. "Hello Maple. The dinosaur exhibit is supposed to be reopened soon and the Marketing Department was looking for feedback on the new tour ideas. They wanted somepony from this department so if you're interested, that would be great. But if you think they're as scary I do that's okay, I'll go instead."

While talking, Flairvoyant began to walk around the room. She gently touched each of the four walls with her horn.
"I guess this is the part where we get to talk about stuff we've done. I'm good at navigating since I always know which way is North. Usually my work involves sailing but I've done some land navigation and even one time helped out on a zeppelin. Wow, that was crazy. This really aggressive bird punctured the thing so I had to hold the hole close with my magic while still navigating over the open ocean until we reached our destination. Certainly earned vacation time for that. One of those things you can laugh about now but was pretty tense at the time. Then there was this other time I was at this island chain that had a blackout and I was the only source of light for miles that night. Kinda humbling since a blackout was when I first got my cutie mark. Guiding others was my calling."

"Do you mean the dinosaur or the marketeers Mr. Hide?" Maple asked as she sprung a hug on her very good boss friend.

Static listened intently while Flairvoyant told her stories. It occurred to him that aside from Night Cap's (rather lengthy) report of the expedition to find the Wand of the North Wind, he didn't really know much of the history of STOMP before he joined, absolutely nothing about any teams prior to the one he was now a part of.

He was like a kid at a camp fire listening to the storyteller weave her tales...until he realized that it was his turn.

He pondered a bit. What should he tell her? Where did he begin?

[Well there was this one time I beat up a defenseless prisoner after the battle. And of course there was the one time I beat up the museum greeter, still in the hospital as far as I know. Oh, and the time I nearly got the entire team killed by a plant. That was a fun one!]

[Oh, do learn to spin a few things you grump!]

Static kinda just recaps a few things y'all already know. So I'll just put it in spoiler tags so it's easily skippable.
Spoiler

"And that was just this past week!"

I remember a fair bit. I'd been looking for the place for days. It felt just like my second school in there but with much nicer decor."
"Looking for the place? How do you mean?" asked Amber. "Do you have any idea where it might be, or who might have been involved in creating it?"

Misty Monsoon found that she was at one of the fancier coffee shops and that Wingston Blues had left her a voucher for a free pastry of choice.

Melon Hide shuddered.
"The marketers. Just one is okay but a whole room full of them is...unpleasant."

"Wow, so that's the new gear. Hmm. While we're standing right here, might as well test it. Let me! go over to the other room. Send a message and I'll respond."

Static nods. He sets up the transmitter while Flairvoyant goes to the other room. "Hmm, what to send..."

IF YOU HAPPEN TO SEE A BREEZIE IN THERE, TELL HIM I MISSED HIM WHILE I WAS AWAY.

Static figured Trade Wind might be in there. After all, if Static wasn't in there to keep an eye on things, Trade Wind must be up to some kind of mischief.

Misty looks down at the voucher. Then up at the coffee shop. Then back down at the voucher. Then back up at the coffee shop.

A look of sheer delight spreads across her face. "Oh, gosh~!"

She eagerly trots inside the door.

"It's okay Mr. Hide, I can handle it, Miss Standard and I are good friends."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I see. Where is it?"

"I mean to say, the place that we were. We were certainly somewhere at the time. Where was that?"

"Well, you know what? You probably haven't seen the last of me!" The criminal ran off in the opposite direction. Just then, a fruit cart rolled in front of Black Night!

Spoiler

"Which is why I'll always be around." Black Night replies, as a fruit cart comes out of nowhere, and suddenly the lives of dozens of fruits are snuffed out instantly... "Sorry, this thing isn't the easiest to control."

Spoiler

Snowy knew Night Cap well enough to know that he wasn't being purposefully obfuscating. There was a consistent narrative here, they just needed to find it. "Here's another one for you: There were curtains in the mansion. So there were windows. If you'd climbed out a window, where would you have been? What would you have seen."

Amber bowed her head and sighed. "There was nothing outside. Not that it should be a difficult illusion to create, but it looked precisely as you would expect a starless, moonless void to appear."

Snowy was puzzled. "So, it wasn't your normal dreamscape? At all? It was...what? Some sort of pocket dimension?"

A grimace forms on Snowy's face, but transforms into a grudging smile."...Fair point. Do you think the mansion was it's own pocket dimension? Just the mansion, and nothing else? And if so, who made it?"

The mare that the cart belonged to ran over.
"I hope you're okay. Cart got away from me that time. Here, let me help you with this..." She picked up one of the gears from the now crashed treadmill contraption and passed it to Black Night. The gear was cobalt colored, faintly smelled of flowers, and had a familiar etched logo of a tulip that had dizzy stars circling it.

"She seems nice enough. A little advertisey but not mean or anything. You may want to hurry so they aren't kept waiting."

NO BREEZIE EMPLOYEES SIGHTED. FILM ABOUT BREEZIES NOT FILED IN PROPER LOCATION.

"Be with you in a moment." Misty Monsoon walked in to see quite a sight. The coffee shop was quite busy and crowded. Not many ponies were behind the counter and it seemed like Light Fantastic was helping serve tables during this lunch rush.

Static laughed out loud and shook his head.

THAT JUST MEANS HE'S BEEN THERE. GO AHEAD AND LEAVE IT. I'VE LONG SINCE LOST THAT ARGUMENT.

"Okay Mr. Hide, I'll see you later..." Maple ran like the wind... she likely still would have beat Static. Aerodynamics work on the ground too after all.

Top Bottom