[IC] Equestrian Radio Show's Adventure Variety Hour: Explorers of STOMP

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"You did mention that you had been searching for that place," said Amber, contemplatively. "How does one search for something that isn't anywhere?" She paused, contemplating the blank page of her notebook in front of her. "Would that cave wall be the only way to get there?"

The mare that the cart belonged to ran over. "I hope you're okay. Cart got away from me that time. Here, let me help you with this..." She picked up one of the gears from the now crashed treadmill contraption and passed it to Black Night. The gear was cobalt colored, faintly smelled of flowers, and had a familiar etched logo of a tulip that had dizzy stars circling it.

"Its fine." Black Night says, the cart and contraption taking more damage then she did. "I was hoping to get this thing in one piece to the Police station for safe keeping..." She says and then examines the gear that was handed to her. It didn't take her long to realize the similarities between it and the catapult several days ago. "Citizen, I want you to keep an watch over this." She says taking a second gear, one for The police and one for Stomp. "It seems there is more behind this device then I had thought. I need to get this evidence to the police quickly. I am sure some officers will be by shortly to help clean this up and help you with your cart." She states and quickly takes to the skies and rushes towards the police department, likely passing over the trio (quartet?) of co-workers on her way.

"We have the machine tiles that are connected to Nightmare Heights somehow, which are also connected to the combination chests somehow, which are connected in some way to whomever created that mansion nowhere," said Amber, looking back and forth between Night Cap and Snowy Skies. "The tiles, excepting the one you recovered, Night Cap, were probably but not at all certainly not found at Nightmare Heights, and seem to be a puzzle; the chests are still sealed tight, apparently waiting for the right combination; the mansion nowhere might be somewhere else as well. Where shall we begin?"

Misty pauses, taking in the scene for a moment.

"Oh! Light Fantastic!" She trots up next to her unicorn friend. "Do you work here?" she asks.

Flairvoyant trotted back to Static Signal. "Good to know everything is in working order. I hear you're supposed to be working on some sort of special project."

Spoiler

Static winced. "Yes. I'm afraid Night Cap and I got a little sidetracked with recent STOMP business, but we're making a documentary about Princess Luna's history: the good, the bad. I hope to clear up a lot of the misconceptions we've had about her past while keeping it respectful. We brought Rhapsody into it as an advisor and fact checker. She know's a lot more about Princess Luna than I realized."

"Like I said, though...we got kinda side tracked. We're still in the research portion of it. I was hoping to go by the library tonight after work and see what I could find."

"I'm...sorry. I'm rambling. I do that sometimes, I'm afraid. It's just...this project is...well...it's a pretty huge deal for me."

Light Fantastic smiled when she saw Misty.

"Hi, Misty!" she said, "No, I don't work here. I was just helping out. What have you been up to?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
As soon as Maplejack walked into the advertising department, all eyes turned to look at her. She could see both Bold Standard and Plaid Paisley, the latter of which greeted her with, "Hey heeeey, glad to see you here Maple. They send any more of us northern ponies here and it might start snowing. Well, no need to keep waiting, want to know your opinion on these proposals. We've narrowed it down to just two." Bold Standard walked over and lifted the cover off of one of the posters. It was a deep blue with silver text and drawings. Numerous sparkles adorned the poster. "This is the first proposal. Design elements that make ponies feel like they've been transported to a dreamy place. Contemplating having cool lighting with subtle bells and chimes for maximum ambiance. The color scheme has an unproven chance to increase patronage by 2%." Plaid Paisley then revealed the other poster. It was a weathered tan with cocoa text and drawings. The four corners had small alicorn designs. "Keeping things rustic and old timey. It's like ponies have taken a step back in time. Adjustment to lighting and prop placement makes ponies feel there. Ponies like princesses, so that was added to the main poster but not so large that it overshadows the dinosaurs."

Detective Gem Champron frowned as he looked at the gear. "Looks like we've got a bigger operation than a trigonometric formula. Somepony is making a lot of this stuff. Earlier today, there was a calamity involving the mayor and the culprit had a harmonica with that image engraved on it. He said he was paid to test it out and the pony who paid him bought it from somepony else, so there's some sort of supplier out there. Unfortunately, the culprit doesn't know much."

Snowy twitches, almost imperceptibly. He still hadn't had a chance to practice since this morning, and lunch was usually the time for it. But he had a feeling leaving Amber and Night Cap alone would bring the conversational progress to a grinding halt, so he couldn't just leave. "Food sounds good. Do either of you think Light might have had some experience you lack?"

Black Night frowns. "There was that Catapult previously as well... The operator of this contraption got away, but he claimed that he was still paying on it. Not much use to him now. I was hoping to get it here in one piece, but it and a fruit cart are now in pieces. Some patrol ponies could probably gather the rest of it. When I noticed the familiarity of the gear I rushed over here." She states as she looks to the gear once more. "I don't like this. Somepony is operating under our noses, and providing dangerous devices to the local criminal element it seems." She then looks to Gem as it seems like she remembers something "There is also the report of some suspicious characters from Petrichor Falls... A quartet, with two seemingly missing according to one of my informants. I'm not sure if they are up to anything or not, but TWO incidents in one day, the same day they visit? It seems less likely that they aren't at least partially involved."

"Already had a citizen file a report about suspicious individuals. We're certainly keeping our eyes peeled for any moves this group makes."

Snowy twitches, almost imperceptibly. He still hadn't had a chance to practice since this morning, and lunch was usually the time for it. But he had a feeling leaving Amber and Night Cap alone would bring the conversational progress to a grinding halt, so he couldn't just leave. "Food sounds good. Do either of you think Light might have had some experience you lack?"
"Ms. Fantastic?" Amber asked. "Dear me, where does one start? Being the center of attention like that, and so confident, and graceful" - Amber unconsciously struck a pose - "really, who doesn't lack Ms. Fantastic's experience? But we should focus on the task at hand, I should think. Lunch does sound a very compelling proposition."

Light Fantastic smiled when she saw Misty.

"Hi, Misty!" she said, "No, I don't work here. I was just helping out. What have you been up to?"
"Oh, I've had an interesting day so far... after work, I went to the mayor's ceremony where I saw Static Signal and Maplejack give a presentation about birds. It was really great! And afterwards we had to stop some buggy ruffians from messing everything up. I like a good scuffle, so I had fun, hee hee. But it all turned out alright!"

After that long explanation, she takes another look around the cafe. "Gosh... it is really busy in here. Maybe I can help with something too?"

Snowy covers up a variety of derogatory facial expression with a loud cough. "Not that kind of experience. Did she do anything in the manor that either of you didn't?"

Amber hesitated. "Oh," she said, straightening herself. "Hmm. I believe her attentions were largely on Ms. Rose and her condition. She did seem concerned about the other trapped pony, as well - and I believe she was the last to return from the portal."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Spoiler
-just Zam's post for reference

Maple liked Mr. Paisley, he always seemed to be from the same stock of Pony Maple was... well at least in level of enthusiasm. PEP...yes that was the word Miss Sweet used. But she also liked Miss Standard, she seemed a perfect match for another of Maple's qualities... Equinable. Extremely interested in other ponies and making sure she'd done everything she could to make them feel good about something.

And here they both were asking her opinion on two different posters... so she couldn't just pick the one without Princesses and hurt Mr. Paisley's feelings.

"For myself, I can't help but admit a bias for your Poster Miss Standard... it speaks to me more then Mr. Paisley's does. However, I've also sadly entirely not yet acclimated myself to the patron-ship of this branch." Maple moved closer to Mr. Paisley's poster.

"If we're seeing more guests coming in that agree with the sentiments behind this design... then I would say we should use this one." Maple moved over to Miss Standard's poster.

"That being said, a potential increase of 2% is not something to just discard out of hand." Maple held a hoof to her face and pondered.

"Can you do both? if we just put up these posters in the areas of town where each would be more effective... Pony's who like both will show up."

Maple Smiled really big.. and then stopped.... "or did you both mean, you want to know if I think the display itself should look like one of these?"

Flairvoyant shook her head. "Having a clear goal in life isn't rambling, Static. Your cutie mark is a radio tower, right? Sounds like this is your big chance to spread information." "Well-that-big-conservation-thing-finished-faster-than-expected-so-you're-free-to-take-a-lunch-if-you'd-like."

"Two posters isn't possible" "Yeah, the whole room is going to decorated in the poster's design style. That's why we wanted input! from somepony who did tours. We want to know what ponies will probably like the most based on what you've seen. Probably won't even be able to add princess imagery to the room itself. That'll probably only be on the poster."

Snowy's ear twitched. "Hold up. Another pony? There was a fifth pony in there? And you didn't bring them out?" He may have passing mention of this before, but he'd assumed he'd been mishearing things.

"Well, there was another pony somewhere" - Amber rolled her eyes very briefly and continued - "who was communicating with Ms. Rose through a magic book. He said that he was also trapped, but it was difficult to learn much more than that from him. He seemed to be suffering from amnesia and perhaps something else."

"Lunch? Well, truth is, we kinda had lunch already after the speech and the ruckus. But if you don't need me at the moment, I suppose I could find a quiet place where I can get some more reading done on some of those Luna documents."

What he really wanted to do was find Anchors and see where their relationship stood. But he had no idea where she'd be and the museum was much too large to simply wander around aimlessly looking for her. So the best use of his time really would just be research for his project.

He turned to regard Flairvoyant. "A pleasure meeting you. I look forward to working with you in the future."

Static went off to get the documents about Luna and to find a quiet place to read them.

Well, no stranger than it was last week, in any case. "But we asked if we could help him escape," said Amber. "If we were talking to the book, couldn't we have simply taken it with us?"

Static Signal remembered that there was a small seating area outside of the building that was perfect for study. Due to the efforts of Misty Monsoon and the rest of the weather team, it was a very pleasant day outside. In the distance, he was able to see Amber Spark, Snowy Skies, and Night Cap approaching the building.

Maple hated that this thought entered her head but it was right there and had to be said.

"the tours I've done, ponies of all kinds have enjoyed the temporary Princesses exhibit... and with the Dinosaur display going back in that location it does free up those wax sculptures to be used else where."

*deep heavy sigh* "I heard Madam Tussle finally convinced Shining Armor to let her sculpt him too... so there's another reason to keep showing the others."

"It would be wonderful to find an area to move that exhibit to and use the design from the Princes poster..without the dinosaurs ..of course... for that...and then use the dreamy one for the dinosaur display."

"Already had a citizen file a report about suspicious individuals. We're certainly keeping our eyes peeled for any moves this group makes."

With that confirmation, Black Night exited the room just as quickly as she entered, leaving the gear with the Detective. She had to get back to work afterall, and stopping the crime put her off her time table, but netting another gear for Amber to look over negated that. Ducking down into an alley she switches back to her regular attire, her costume one more hidden at the bottom of her saddle bag wit the gear closer to the top, and quickly flies towards the museum. Seeing Static and the others at the main entrance she decides to use the employee entrance around the side.

Static sighed as he caught sight of the others. "I'm never going to get anywhere on this research!" he muttered to himself. He waved as they got closer and walked up to meet them. "Hey, guys! What's up?

Light Fantastic nodded.

"It'd be most helpful if you would," she said. "You should be able to ask the waitress over there about what you can do."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Thing is, the princess exhibit already has a look. Don't want to change what already works." "Yes. I made a chart with many tasteful colors showing that there's a 11% probability that a change might lower patronage."

"So even if we do the dreamy one will be down 9% ?" o_o Maple's eyes focused a few cm beyond the end of her face as her hoof drew invisible maths in the air ....

Spoiler
-Zam, and anyone else who wants a laugh

Misty heads past the congested line of customers placing orders and peeks into the kitchen area. "Hi! I'm Misty Monsoon. I'm friends with Light Fantastic, she's the unicorn who's helping out with serving orders. Is there anything I could do to lend a hoof as well?"

Static sighed as he caught sight of the others. "I'm never going to get anywhere on this research!" he muttered to himself. He waved as they got closer and walked up to meet them. "Hey, guys! What's up?

Snowy wanted to press Night Cap, but this was probably more important. "Silent Belle just got broken out of jail by Dazzling Midnight. Tell me everything you know about her."

He used to appreciate the nuances of a pleasant greeting, The information that flowed in the exchange of pleasantries. Oh, how he had changed!

Static's smile dropped. He went eerily silent. You could see his eyes moving behind closed eyelids.

"Silent Belle?"

[What do you call yourself doing?]

"And Dazzling Midnight?"

[For your sake, I hope we never meet again.]

"Silent Belle..."

[I'm docking your pay and this is your final warning. If this or anything even remotely similar EVER happens again, not only will you be out of a job, I'll drag you down to the police myself.]

Static shook his head fitfully, looking pleadingly to Snowy.

"Both of them...together?"

[Pony feathers? Buck?]

"Rumps!" Static muttered. "I...I can't face...I can't..."

[Get a grip, Static!]

Static forcefully shakes out of it. "I...I'm sorry. I just...I'm not sure I know too much more about Silent Belle than Amber would. She's a unicorn with normal unicorn magic from what I could tell. She's blind, but she had this triangle that allowed her to see. But I gave the triangle to Mr. Sands. So unless Dazzling liberated that along with Silent herself...or if she has another backup triangle..." Static shrugged helplessly. "I'm afraid the fight went way too fast for me to learn anything more about her."

"As for Dazzling,"
Static visibly shudders. "Spend two minutes with her! She's polite, cordial...and yet downright terrifying at the same time. Most of our interactions was mostly talking. She didn't get aggressive until she I was about to spring the trap on her and get her arrested. But with all the policeponies in that apartment and the anti-teleportation magic set up in there...she just teleported right out."

"And it wasn't any normal unicorn teleportation either. I've seen unicorns teleport before. This was different. This was...wrong...dark. Another unicorn who was in the vicinity got sick from being around it."

Static thought paced. "The only other thing that really stands out about her...she wore her hair over one of her eyes. Just as she was about to attack me, she brushed it aside. I didn't get a good look before the officers burst out of their hiding spots and tried to arrest her...but I'm thinking there's probably some magical trinket she has." Static sighed. "I can't think of much else aside from this, Snowy. I've faced down a COIN attack squad trying to take the Sword of Shining Dark. I've faced an undead Anugypt princess that possessed an entire audience at a ballet. I've faced a living plant that nearly destroyed our entire team in less than a minute..."

"This mare terrifies the Tartarus out of me."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
[Night Cap]​
"You wouldn't believe the morning I just had!"

Static stares blankly at Night Cap. The morning he just had? After the mind-wiped cukarocka's with the one doing the mind-wiping having COIN connections and just learning not 30 seconds ago that the two ponies in all of Equestria that had the most reason to want him dead are out and about and working together...and Night Cap thought he wouldn't believe the morning he just had?

"Try me," Static dead-panned.

Amber watched the exchange as it unfolded. She wasn't sure why Mr. Cap had seemed hesitant about the idea of having hypothetically taken the book with them. She didn't like to admit that if whomever they had been writing to had been a book all along, he probably wouldn't have remembered being one, and so Mr. Cap may actually have a point worth pressing.

But now it seemed that everypony was talking about police business again. Amber wasn't at all happy to have Silent Belle on the loose again, either, but she still seemed very unlikely to become their problem again, and this Dazzling Midnight really did sound to have only one trick up her sleeve. Teleportation magic despite magical interference - Amber couldn't help thinking that asking Ms. Flint about it might lead to advantageous information regardless of any future altercation with Ms. Midnight.

"I spent the majority of the event unconscious," said Amber. "It was a somewhat less interesting event from my perspective. But I think we're also nearly close to the very verge of a breakthrough with the artifacts recovered from the Nightmare Heights caves." Amber looked back toward the Keep entrance pointedly. "We may be even closer over lunch."

Static didn't care about waffles vs. pancakes. As far as he was concerned, they both had their perks. And, unfortunately, he could quite easily believe the police mistook Night Cap for a criminal. He could act rather shifty without intending to.

But he was too preoccupied with Silent Belle and Dazzling Midnight to really bother about such trivialities. Wait...what did Amber just say?

"You were unconscious the whole time?" He turns to Snowy and Night Cap in turn. "But not you two? That's odd. Why would Dazzling specifically target Amber? If anything, it seems she would target Night Cap. She knows him! Or...at least...she met him. She'd have more reason to suspect him to be part of STOMP."

"She wrecked every unicorn in the station, I'm just persistent." Snowy clarifies. He'd gotten everything he needed from Static about Dazzling Midnight. He hadn't encountered anyone that lived by Fear Factor in...well, ever. It was the con mare's dream, to make ponies so scared of you that they just acquiesced, but no one ever succeeded. Then again, given that she hadn't convinced Static to defect, maybe it wasn't for the sake of coercion. Maybe it was just...confidence, faith in her own strength. Snowy thought he might like to meet her, but he didn't much feel like talking about it anymore. "Let's finish all of this over lunch, hm? Night Cap was telling me about! a book from the manorspace, that let them communicate with another pony."

"Every unicorn...at once?" Static visibly shuddered. How could Snowy even think about food at a time like this? He took another deep breath, just grateful for any idea that would get him back inside the museum. He felt way too exposed out here now. "Yeah, sure. I've already had lunch. But...yeah..." He said distractedly. He was going to have to start taking different ways home and start looking over his shoulder for the time being.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Bold Standard scampered over to an easel with several poster boards and flipped to a chart. There were many lines on the chart in very pretty colors. "After doing a large number of calculations, I found that it's not as simple as 9%. Ponies can be thrown off from changes to things they expect. There's a lot of complex interactions." "Yeah, we gotta be careful with this considering some of the prior budget issues. Hate to see the Keep in the red again. We do thank you for helping us with this really important decision, Maple."

The mare behind the counter replied to Misty Monsoon with, "Things are slowly starting to get manageable. If you'd help with getting orders to the tables, that'll be a big help."

"Why would Dazzling Midnight target me? Do you think she didn't buy my cover story?"

"She might have bought it until you showed up at the police station. Or...I don't know. Who knows with that mare? She's beginning to seem more powerful than even I gave her credit for, knocking out every single unicorn in a given area and just breaking someone out of prison like it was a stroll through the park!"

[We have got to get rid of this mare...for good!]

"Anyway, lunch sounds good. I'm finally in the habit of eating real food several times a day and I'd rather like to keep it up."

"That's good to hear. I could use some coffee right about now!"

Then a thought hit him. Every encounter he'd heard about from Dazzling either had everypony she met react with fear or being enamored with her. And COIN didn't exactly seem like an organization that rewarded failure. It made him wonder.

"Just...one more thing. Silent Belle...how did she react when she realized Dazzling had come for her? Relief? Dread?"

"Mm...Resigned stoicism? Apparently she said 'this is going to hurt' and lay down just before everyone else collapsed. She probably passed out too, being a unicorn and all, but she knew it was coming so she got low to the ground. Sounds like she knew Dazzling well enough that COIN didn't want her in jail." Snowy resumed walking, hoping to lead the group towards The Keep's dining area.

"Interrogation may not be the right word." Snowy supplements. "He was asking the secretary a stunning variety of questions."

Static nods at Snowy's explanation. Not that he thought of Night Cap as a liar, but his perceptions were often...skewed.

"At this point, I wouldn't underestimate what she may or may not know. Saving grace for you all is that you're just members of the opposition. She has a personal grudge against me. Push comes to shove, I may be able to take some of the heat off of the rest of you"

"I think we should definitely tell Ms. Iron about this. She said she was having a meeting later. But this probably shouldn't wait. I've already had lunch. So I can go ahead and tell her. Anypony who wants to join me... I'd love the company."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Oh, yeah, I can help with that!" Misty replies. "Just tell me where the orders are and where they need to go."

"okay so if some ponies react negatively to unexpected changes, but studies show that these changes are both somewhat expected and seem to be very well researched by both of you... all I can suggest is maybe a mid season change from one to the other and document any and all feedback."

Maple smiled, thinking she'd finally hit on a solution that would keep everypony happy.

"we could start with yours Miss Standard, and that would give you the chance to see if your 2% projections are accurate.. and then we could do Mr. Paisley's." Maple thought for another moment before adding.

"Unless of course, the 2% revenue increase wouldn't cover the cost of the second remodel... ooohh then we could maybe do a promotional fundraiser to cover the difference. My friends and I really enjoyed the Pancake breakfast last time Miss Standard, ...

Maple licked her lips at the memory of it the meal, but then remembered not actually eating anything... thoughts for later anyway.

"I'm thinking there could be a lot of potential in 'Prehistoric platter Princess Pancakes' or perhaps some other local businesses may want in on it."

"Something to go I suppose is alright. The mane thing is I just don't want to dilly dally. A jail break is kind of a big thing, and I don't want to be the one the chief director asks about why she wasn't told immediately."

"Perhaps somepony could go ahead and tell Ms. Iron while the rest of us find a table?"

"Right! Well, like I said, since I've already had lunch...catch up when you can."

Static starts to move off towards Brisk Iron's office.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
When Static Signal arrived at Brisk Iron's office, he found an 'Out of Office' sign hanging on the door.

The mare behind the counter replied to Misty Monsoon with, "That one unicorn mare in the corner has been waiting patiently. I'd hate to keep her waiting. If you could get her order?"

Static sighs as he sees the sign. "Every time!" he grumbles. "Can't say I didn't try."

[Besides, I can certainly use some coffee right about now.]

He goes back to join the others.

As everypony makes their way to the break room, Rhapsody could already be found occupying one of the tables with a Hayburger and some coffee.

Rhapsody spots Night Cap and begins ignoring.

Amber nodded toward Rhapsody and smiled as she headed for the counter. Night Cap, Rhapsody, Night Cap, and herself, she thought. It seemed so strange to all be sitting and having lunch together like this. It seemed only yesterday that they'd all been at each other's throats.

"Have you heard about the jailbreak?" Snowy asks Rhapsody, persisting in his newfound lack of care for opening pleasantries. He steps around Night Cap's waving form and opens a small drawer in the corner of the room, extracting a tea bag from an unobtrusive box labeled as a collection of trash bags. Though thin, his form was large enough to obscure all this from sight as he drew out a crystalline black mug. For all the good it did him, he seemed to have conjured it all out of thin air. He fills the mug with leftover hot water from the espresso machine and turns back to the table, depositing his tea bag in the water and disturbing it with his magic as he moves.

Static sighs as he walks into the room. "Rhapsody" he greets curtly. "Got a small lead for you on that symbol that's on those business cards you passed out." He grabs a cup and fills it with coffee.

He then realized that he probably just interrupted Snowy. "Sorry. His is probably more important. I'll wait."

Rhapsody looks to Snowy with a frown at that news. "No, I hadn't." Before looking to Static briefly. "So do I." She says and opens her saddle bag and placing the second gear down, the scent, design, and 'signature' likely very familiar to those present. "I had a talk with Black Night after She stopped a Criminal with some weird machine, and it broke down. She passed me one of the gears since she recalls the trebuchet incident and cards. Thought maybe someone in the museum might know more. Seems today has been an interesting day for all of us..." She says, still making no notice of Night Cap's presence.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Sure thing!"

Misty takes the mare's order and flies over to the table in the corner. "Hi! I'm here to bring you your order, and here it is. Hope you enjoy!" She carefully sets the tray on the table.

"Hmm." Amber looked over the gear, so much as possible with the interference of the coffee cup and scone levitating in front of her and demanding her attention in turns. "Rhapsody, I know you've worked with Ms. - erm, Black Night for some time now. But isn't all of this business with criminals and jailbreaks just a titch out of our roundhouse? If COIN agents are interfering with our work, we are of course obligated to stop them, but we are not vigilantes."

Amber took another bite of her scone and frowned. "Are we? Ms. Naught certainly didn't mention anything of the kind when she explained the organization to me, at the very least ..." she said, voice trailing away into her coffee cup and ending with a muted slurp.

"We may not be vigilante's, Amber...at least I know I rather not go looking for trouble. But there are some things that, once you're aware of it, you almost have to do something about it...especially when it could affect those you care about."

"Speaking of which," Static continues, turning to Rhapsody, "we need to get word to Black Night. The jail break that Snowy mentioned? Dazzling Midnight broke Silent Belle out. I don't know what they plan, but since Black Night had a hoof in Silent Belle's arrest, at the very least she needs to be warned."

As Night Cap approached the coffee vending machine he once again saw a multitude of exciting buttons. Wonderfully gleaming shining levers. It seemed even newer than before. However, he found that it now had a happy and hungry coin slot, ready to accept bits in exchange for its wares.

The unicorn mare smiled as Misty Monsoon served her order. Her coat was deep purple and her hair was a pastel yellow. "Thanks! It's crazy busy today, huh? Almost wish I didn't come but felt like treating myself since I was here. The name's Resolving Door, what's your's?"

Bold Standard seemed slightly on edge. The luster of her coat ever so briefly flickered dull. "But...the Princess Sized order is part of the Pancake Pilferer's standard options. And I'm not sure exhibit rotations are conductive to seasonal structure. And..." "Hold on a moment. Let's simplify this. Maple, let's just say you were taking a tour group to another exhibit and they passed a poster. Which one do you think would be the most likely to catch their attention?"

*twitcha twitch*

One ear flops.

Night Cap slowly sits in front of the coffee machine, stunned and defeated. For a moment the only movement is a quivering lip. Then he slowly rears back and raises his gaze to the heavens, silently screaming in a Homeric rage.

Spoiler

Static looked piteously at Night Cap.

[If you buy him one now, he'll come to expect it. You'll be buying him coffee for the rest of your life.]

[Or the rest of his life. Which ever comes first.]

[Sometimes you have to cut the strings. Let them sink or swim on their own.]

[Aww! But look at him! He's so bummed.]

[It's for the best. He'll be stronger for it in the long run.]

"Sorry, buddy! I guess they needed a way to pay for the one that got busted."

"Meanwhile, we're hoping to sort out the puzzle boxes we fou..." Snowy broke off to watch Night Cap. "I'm not doing anything." He adds, offhand.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"oh, well that would be Miss Standard's then. I wouldn't be easily distracted by a Princess ... the way they pop up, we've been getting new ones every year for a while now..." There it was... she'd said it... try to avoid it and then jump in with all 4 hooves. Maple sighed, disappointed in herself for letting that slip out so easily.

"My name's Misty Monsoon, pleased to meet you! Are you from out of town? I've only been living around here for a month or so myself. How do you like it here?"

Resolving Door replied with, "Yeah, I'm from out of town. Only here because of friends and work. Speaking of which, don't want to hold you up."

Bold Standard glistened brightly as she smiled. "We'll get right on it." "Nothing like a survey to brighten everypony's day. And don't worry about the princess thing. I say the more the merrier but I can get being princessed out. Now for me, I'd love to see a Princess of Money if we get another one this year."

"Oh, no worries! My friend and I are helping out temporarily, but if there's anything you need, let me know. I can definitely take care of it!"

After several minutes, the lunch rush in the coffee shop died down to manageable levels. The mare behind the counter gave Misty Monsoon, Light Fantastic, and Silk Double-Time vouchers for a free coffee the next time they visited.

"Hmm." Amber looked over the gear, so much as possible with the interference of the coffee cup and scone levitating in front of her and demanding her attention in turns. "Rhapsody, I know you've worked with Ms. - erm, Black Night for some time now. But isn't all of this business with criminals and jailbreaks just a titch out of our roundhouse? If COIN agents are interfering with our work, we are of course obligated to stop them, but we are not vigilantes."

Amber took another bite of her scone and frowned. "Are we? Ms. Naught certainly didn't mention anything of the kind when she explained the organization to me, at the very least ..." she said, voice trailing away into her coffee cup and ending with a muted slurp.
"We may not be vigilante's, Amber...at least I know I rather not go looking for trouble. But there are some things that, once you're aware of it, you almost have to do something about it...especially when it could affect those you care about."

"Speaking of which," Static continues, turning to Rhapsody, "we need to get word to Black Night. The jail break that Snowy mentioned? Dazzling Midnight broke Silent Belle out. I don't know what they plan, but since Black Night had a hoof in Silent Belle's arrest, at the very least she needs to be warned."

"As of late, we have been a bit of a magnet for COIN. It's not a matter of being vigilantes. It is, as Static states, being aware of the situation." Rhapsody states plainly looking at those gathered around her. "SOMETHING is going on, first with that catapult, then this contraption, Static's harmonica thing, a Jail break, and then there is those Petrichor Falls ponies, who are obviously up to something, and most of that is JUST today. This has way surpassed coincidence. Surely, Amber even you are able to see that." She says with a smile, before continuing. "We need to be aware and on top of this, just as much as our normal duties; because if COIN is after or up to something, it stands to reason there is a very good chance we're gonna come across them, either here in town or out on an expedition. And I know that in such a case, I'd rather have an idea of what they are up to beforehoof, rather they trying to piecemeal it together afterwards, as that not only means we might be able to cut them off before they do something really bad, but also allow us to better protect any historical artifacts they may be targeting."

*twitcha twitch*

One ear flops.

Night Cap slowly sits in front of the coffee machine, stunned and defeated. For a moment the only movement is a quivering lip. Then he slowly rears back and raises his gaze to the heavens, silently screaming in a Homeric rage.

Spoiler

For a brief moment, Rhapsody stopped ignoring Night Cap and just smiled broadly, before taking a sip of her own coffee and looking back to the others to continue the more important topic at hand. She looks back to Static. "I will get a message out to her as soon as I can, she is not the easiest mare to get a hold of, you understand. Its not as if I can just shine a light into the sky and get her attention."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"I wouldn't mind a Prince of money...." Maple said with a grin ..looking at Mr. Paisley's side. "...wings would look good on you."

Maple checked her watch, it was still in the middle of what would be the normal tour schedule, maybe she would head time to head to the break room.

Static nodded. "I'm sure she can take care of herself. But it certainly wouldn't hurt to give her a heads up if possible. After her help during COIN's attack on the Keep, we owe her that much."

"And I agree, COIN's definitely building towards something. I even gave my opinion to Ms. Iron as such. The jail break only confirms it. Personally, I think anyone in STOMP or even associated with them would do well to be on guard."

"Well that was fun, I guess? I'm glad we could help them out. I hope it's not this bad every day!" Misty comments once the lunchtime rush has died down. "So, um, what are you both going to do now? I didn't really make any plans for the afternoon, but I hear there's some kind of bowling practice going on tonight. I wonder if I have to bring my own bowl...?"

Static raises an eyebrow and Nightcaps antics.

[Oh, c'mon! The poor thing's in pain.]

[No, no! He has to learn to do it on his own.]

Just because Night Cap was in pain didn't mean they had to be. As the shriek rose to a higher pitch, Snowy silenced it, shooting a glare at Night Cap's tongue to get the message to the sound. "So, Puzzle chests." He says, following Night Cap to the table. He wanted to get back on topic. "We've linked the script on the chests to the embroidery on the curtains in the manor that we found Desert Rose in. It seems to exist in its own little pocket dimension, so I've taken to referring to it as Manorspace. Night Cap, Amber, and Light Fantastic were all communicating with another pony somewhere else in Manorspace, by writing in a book." He reiterates f! or the newcomers. He pauses for a moment, hoping everyone will appreciate the cliche before them. "The script is still illegible--we think it's completely foreign to Equestria-- and what we really need is somepony who would be familiar with it. Does anyone have any ideas how we could contact the Manorspace pony?" He figured 'without returning to the swamp' was implied.

"Honestly, I'm uncertain why it didn't occur to anypony to take it," said Amber. "We had no real reason to assume that it wouldn't continue to communicate with the trapped pony if we did. But I don't like our chances of justifying another expedition back, even if it weren't for mmm-hmm-hmm-hmm outside the cave entrance."

"Oh," said Amber, after a pause. After a longer one, she added, "Good thinking."

"Hey, Maple. Yeah, we get charged for coffee now. Someone went overboard with the last espresso machine. "

He turned back to the book and the conversation at hand. "Great! Shall we try it out then?"

"Me and some of the girls went bowling the other day," said Light Fantastic. "I'm up for it, if you and Silky are. It should be fun."

Silky Double-Time smiled triumphantly. "I'm certainly up for more bowling. I think I'm developing a knack for it."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Maple took a quick look around at her friends....
Spoiler

"how do you take your Coffee Mr. Night Cap?"

"Oh I haven't met her yet, but she sounds really awesome... Here you go." Maple puts the cup of coffee down in front of the wide-eyed stallion.

"I don't mean to interrupt, but I had some successful mission gifts to hand out once we got back, and this is my first time seeing a few of you in a while.... and well I know how much you all were upset about the coffee issue last time and then the bags of candy went over so well... and I figured maybe some emergency instant coffee would be a decent way to say thanks for a fun adventure."
Maple sets a fresh little silk bag down in front of everypony and puts the bottle of water in front of Static.

"what's with the book?"

"Great!" Misty exclaims. "Maybe you can teach me how it's done... I'm still not sure about that."

"Maple, you're an angel! Thanks!"
Static goes for the bottle of water not realizing he still holding his coffee. "Oh...right!" He sets the coffee down and goes again for the water, realizing again that his coffee cup is still half full. "Well I...hmm!" He puts the water in his saddle bags. "Save that for later. Thanks, Maple." He then opens his silk bag and takes a deep sniff. "This will definitely come in handy next mission."

"Sorry, Maple. I'm a bit distracted. Just learned that an old...acquaintance...just got an early parole. It's not a reunion I'm looking forward to."

Once he sees what's inside, Snowy leans over and sniffs the bag, recoiling subtly at the strong scent. It was not entirely unpleasant, but he still didn't like it. From the looks of things, though, it was unwise to let anyone else here know that, so he quietly levitated the bag into his saddlebags, choosing the pocket he thought he would least mind smelling like coffee.
At Static's comment, Snowy rolls his eyes. As a member of STOMP, Maple should not be coddled. "He's understating things." He says in a thoroughly unamused tone. "Dazzling Midnight, his worst fears ponified, broke Silent Belle, his nemesis and the mirror of the darkest reaches of his soul, out of prison." Mild hyperbole out of the way, he sips his tea in a nonchalant manner. It needed more steeping time.

"Well, that too," Static said, the hair on his neck bristling. He didn't like being reminded about the monster within himself that Silent Belle represented. "Dazzling Midnight is a unicorn who's powers are not natural. Magic inhibiting fields don't even touch her and she laughs at facing an entire police squad."

"Silent Belle..."
Static cringes just saying the name. "Silent Belle is just a personal reminder that I'm only just barely one of the good guys."

"Still, best you beware them both."

Amber smiled in gratitude at Maple with a "ah, hmm, thank you!" and tucked the bag away in her saddlebag. At the very least, the presence of the instant coffee should be a powerful reminder not to allow a situation where such barbarism would seem required.

"She led the attack on the Sword of Shining Dark,"
said Amber. "She is, by all appearances, a professional - very little at all like the comparatively amicable Opportunists we had the pleasure of consorting with during the original Wand expedition. Hmm, ah, original in the sense that - I mean, certainly not that there would be any others, of course," Amber said with a look over her shoulder and a slow sip of her coffee. "Aside from her seeming quite skilled and confident, I don't know that we know rather very much about her. She does seem to rather dislike me, for reasons I can't begin to guess, but I suppose I should really come to expect that." Amber drew out her notebook and looked back over her notes from the raid, smiling at something, then turned her attention to Night Cap.

"I think she went after you because she thought you were the weakest link...what with your glasses and all," Static says to Amber. "Felt good to see you prove just how wrong she was."

"Same incident, Night Cap. Like I said, I can't really say too much about Silent Belle. The fight went so fast. I kinda went ballistic there after she mocked Amber and blinded her. I got a lucky shot in and Black Night finished her off." Static looked sheepish. "I used to be more hot headed then. I rather not say what happened next."

"Oh, Yes Miss Rhapsody... maple quiet down and took the bag as well as a small note out with it and held them both out to Rhapsody. ...shhh!" She added softly as if to indicate that the note was to be kept secret.... despite everypony else being in the room.

Spoiler
RHAPSODY

Spoiler
Shadewing

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Rhapsody takes the seed bag and places them in her saddlebag before reading over the note. She simply gives the younger mare a nod, since likely she wants the contents to be kept secret, and then places the note in her bag as well.

"Regardless of who's on the opposing team, there is still much we have to deal with and figure out. Not just the Puzzle boxes, the mysterious devices, and what ties any of this has to COIN or other criminal activity that might impede our jobs... I very much feel we all need to work on teamwork. We're a team... but we've not really been acting like it."

"well there is the interdepartmental bowling challenge."

Rhapsody was right, more or less. They needed to function better as a unit. But it wasn't as though they were particularly bad at teamwork when a crisis came around. They just bickered incessantly otherwise. All he could really think of to improve on that was to put them into more crises, which was going to happen anyways. How was he supposed to suggest that?

"I still need to talk to Dusty about joining the janitorial team." He says, mostly to himself. "It seems to me that there's very little we can do on the matter of teamwork while we're in The Keep." He ventures. "Most of us get along...reasonably well, and the fact that you two are on speaking terms suggests that there's very few exceptions to that." He inclines his head towards Rhapsody, then Static. "I've found that when we're in times of crisis, things come together quite well. Once one of us can communicate a plan to the others, it flows smoothly. Most of us have a good sense of what the others can do. We just need more practice moving as a unit."

Static frowned when Snowy dared to imply he could get along with Rhapsody. But then it occurred to him that he was right.

Of course, he couldn't speak for Rhapsody. But at the least, she hadn't said anything antagonizing to him...or Night Cap for that matter. He noticed she patently ignored him. But then as much as he liked him, Static couldn't deny there were times where Night Cap absolutely had to be ignored.

And for his part, he wasn't even mad at Rhapsody any more. Oh, he was sure there was bound to be some butting of heads in the future, no doubt. But in the end, didn't they all want the same thing?

"When we're in crisis, I can't deny Rhapsody is good with strategies. We may have issues between us off the battle field. But on the battle field?" Static shrugs. "She knows what she's doing."

"As far as off the battle field..."
he sighs, turning his attention to Rhapsody. "Things got ugly on our expedition. They got damn ugly. But just because there are some parts of your personality I find...abrasive, that doesn't mean we can't be friends. Heck, if it weren't for some ponies ability to deal with abrasive personalities, I doubt I'd have any friends."

Static sucks in a deep breath through his teeth as the words escape his mouth. With a wince, he turns to Maple. "Sorry about earlier. Pride can be a heck of thing when wounded."

"I still want a rematch!

"Actually Static, I think you really ought to ask for a hoof race... you'll loose again if we have a rematch." Maple chuckled, as she spread her wings and made zooming and whooshing noises.

Static stared deadpan at Maple. He still thought that should go without saying. But then, with this group, he guessed nothing should be taken for granted. "Yes...absolutely. No flying."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Just then, Steel Flint walked into the break room. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything. I was just getting some hot water."

Spoiler

"HELLO!!" Maple says as she waves enthusiastically.

"Just comparing notes, Ms. Flint. Seem's COIN's been busy. I was going to try and tell Ms. Iron, but she doesn't seem to be in her office."

"She was called away to the police station so it might possibly be due to that. This whole thing is quite distressing."

After parting ways with the two dancers, Misty wanders about town. She looks at the voucher she received for a free coffee. She appreciated the gesture, but she didn't really like the taste of coffee. But it would be a shame not to make use of it... hmm. Maybe one of the other STOMP team members would like to have it?

She flies off in the direction of the Keep.

"She was called away to the police station so it might possibly be due to that. This whole thing is quite distressing."

"Well if it is, that would prove my theory that whatever this is that is going on, also effects us and we shouldn't just turn a blind eye to it."

Entering the Keep and navigating through its many hallways, Misty Monsoon eventually found herself in the fairly occupied break room.

Static gives a lopsided grin as Misty enters the break room. "Anypony want to go get Light Fantastic?"

Misty was already inside the Keep when it occurred to her that she had no idea where anyone but Maplejack worked. So, she decided to wander around the building until finding someone she recognized.
As luck would have it, she happened upon the employee break room, and was pleased to see nearly all of her teammates gathered there. She eagerly trots over and takes a seat. "Hi everyone! What's new?"

"Good to see you again so soon Miss...Monsoon." Maple said, blushing slightly at her awkward greeting.
"There's this book thing from the swamp, and the music bug thing for earlier, and there was a dastardly prison break of Coin agents that we didn't get to meet yet and I was about to tell everypony about tomorrow night's wrestling event."

Maple paused to breathe.

"And Static wants to have a hoof race with me soon because of reasons, and I gave out some post mission gifts, and Mr. Night Cap likes Blacknight and um... How have you been?"

Misty pauses for a moment, the smile never leaving her face as her brain tries and fails to parse the full extent of the information Maple has just communicated to her.
"...I'm fine. How are you?"

"Much better now." Maple says in a much calmer tone... as she takes a sip of her tea

Static's ears prick and he regards Maple rather shocked. "You called me Static! I...thanks!"
[Hug? Don't hug?]

[Not in front of everypony!]

Maple sighs as Static notices -finally ... and uses a hoof to pat the spot next to her. But now this was going to be awkward with everypony else in the room....

"you can, um come sit next to me ...Misty, if um, when you're done getting a snack or something... if you've got time to I mean.

Yes.. most assuredly awkward

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Snowy's tea mug pauses, hovering in his hoof inches from his muzzle. His face reveals both complete comprehension and absolute disbelief. "...If you think I can transport it home from here, then yes, that would be excellent." He says, his voice measured to conceal the full measure of his incredulity.

"OH my gosh Mr Skies... no hints...

Maple looks around the room and then leans in to whisper.

...>_> teehee ... okay I give... you shouldn't have any problem carrying it around."

Maple's little giggle went all the way up to her nose and it scrunched a little along with her eyes squeezing shut...

"So does anypony have work to get back to? or can we talk about this book some more?"

Snowy has no idea how to respond to Maple's body-encompassing vibrations. He just feels relieved that he's not getting an organ or a piano. "Talking about this book is my work right now." He comments, hoping to help steer the conversation back towards it's initial purpose. A pang in his stomach reminded him that he still hadn't eaten lunch, but he still couldn't leave.

"Oh, what kind of book is it?" Misty asks.

Maple looks at the book intently ... sometimes it's hard for her at first to know if she's recognizing something... or remembering that she recognizes something .

Spoiler

Maple's eyes begin to hurt before anything comes to mind so she shrugs and waits for somepony else to discover something super important

Maple rubs her eyes with her hooves...

"IT MIGHT BE ALIVE!?!" Maple looks back at the book... not squinting this time and then passes a quick look to Static...

"I might have a way to test that Mr. Night Cap?"

"Hmm. I don't think I've read that kind of book before. It sounds interesting though!"

Spoiler
Zam /group

Maple has no idea what she looks like when she does this... but if she gets anything from the book, it may answer Mr. Night Cap's question.

As far as Maplejack could tell, the book was unresponsive.

Somewhat relieved to not sense anything Maple thought quickly how this could still be salvaged...

"Sorry, um, I wasn't serious everypony...."

<_< *sigh* even if they got upset about her 'joke' it would be better than having any of them run away screaming

"I was doing research for Night Cap, Rhapsody and I's documentary...at least...I was going to...but didn't even get to cracking open a book before I heard about the jail break. But I think that can wait if it involves COIN being up to something. Mr. Quill didn't have any immediate need for me anyways."

Spoiler

Rhapsody looks to the book, drawing it closer after Static and looks it over. trying to see if if she can figure anything out about it from all the magic lessons she's had.

[broken spoiler tag]Arcana: Roll(1d20)+5:
18,+5
Total:23 [broken spoiler tag]

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Static Signal noticed that while the notebook was mostly unremarkable, it had unique subtleties. Despite being in very good condition, the style was actually fairly old. The sap for the resin that held the bindings was from a type of tree that no longer grew in Equestria.

Meanwhile, Rhapsody sensed that the notebook had been in the presence of strong magic yet it didn't seem magical itself.

Static watched as Maple tried to mind control the book. It amused him as he was reminded of Night Cap trying to move a movie cannister by telekinesis. But then he thought about the unknown properties of this book and realised maybe it wasn't such a bad idea to try.

As he looked at the book, he could tell a few things about the book...nothing of which seemed particularly useful. Crazy random knowledge he gleaned from those movies...

He handed the book over to Rhapsody for her to inspect.

"Other than the fact that the stylings are pretty old, the binding resin being from a tree that doesn't even grow in Equestria any more for example, I got nothing. Basically, for as good a shape as it's in, it's actually quite old."

Static sighs.

"That felt...less than useful. I don't know. Has anypony tried writing in it since taking it out of the cave? Maybe we could see if it still has a connection to the other pony you all were talking to"

Steel Flint arched an eyebrow as she sipped her tea. "What exactly do you mean when you say 'facilities'?"

Rhapsody looks over the book, tracing her hoof over it as she closes her eyes to sense any magic that it might have had on it, and then shakes her head. "The book itself seems to lack any kind of 'real' magic, but there is definitely a trace of magic on it from another magical source, a pretty strong one at that."

"Sooooo, the book is just a book...and the only magical energy comes from...what? The entity that was using it to communicate? So...take it too far from its source,...did we just take away this being's (pony or otherwise) only means to communicate with the outside world? And now whatever he/she/it was...we just left it utterly alone?"

Static looked heavily on the book.

"That all may just be theory, but I really think somepony should write something and see if we get a response."

"I can't tell based on what little training I've had. There could be much more to it that someone more skilled in artifacts or magic might be able to discover; or we could just roll the dice and try writing in it, as you suggest, and and see what happens. I suggest Night Cap do it. He is our 'expert' after all." And if something happens nopony of value would be lost.

"Makes sense," Static conceded, and senses no ill intent from Rhapsody, not being a mind reader and all. "This would be his area of expertise and he has talked with this pony...or...whatever...before. Anypony have a pen he can borrow?"

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"The Keep does have differently insulated research rooms. Most of the more heavily secured rooms are underground but they have different clearances. If you have concerns over doing anything with this, it might be best to wait." Just then, a full description of what happened in the police station was given and then Steel Flint was asked how one might circumvent teleportation dampening. Steel Flint took a long sip of tea and she pondered. There was a brief silence until she replied with, "My my, that's quite the fascinating puzzle. I'm thinking of some ideas but bear with me, it may take a bit to explain properly. I will note that some of this will be theory and conjecture as opposed to absolutes."

"I'm not sure you'd have clearance for the more secure rooms but anyway, here's my thoughts. Sometimes there's more than one way to approach things. Let's just use flight as an example. We ponies aren't the most aerodynamic thing out there but pegasi grace our skies with wondrous agility. This is a magical effect that can be negated as such yet it can sometimes be applied to other things such as carts being pulled. Bird, bats, insects, and many creatures fly through wing speed and position. And even still, there's various flying contraptions such as blimps and helicopters that can carry ponies where they need to go but require construction and training. Three different ways of achieving the end result of flight." Steel Flint began to pace back and forth, her mug dutifully following her as it was held aloft by her magical grip. "In the vein of magic, negating it has its own quirks. Sometimes you use an active magical effect. My assumption is that this is what the police uses. It would make sense considering the police would have need of their magic outside of the cells. It's probably a generalized effect, instead of one that targets specific types of magic. Sometimes you stop a magical effect by using materials that are fairly resistant to magical interference. This branch of the Equestrian Expedition Keep is mostly built with such a material in various quantities. Most of our magic is unaffected but it prevents some things, like winking through most of the walls. Of course, we do have some active effects here and I'm sure the jail cells are built from a material that resists tampering." Steel Flint's mug began to idly spiral, though no tea spilled out. "Now, here's where the information stops and theory begins in earnest. It's wholly possible that Dazzling Midnight is "cheating" so to speak. Active spells can be rerouted. She could be using a different type of teleport that simply isn't playing by normal rules. Of course, this has its own quirks. Whatever it is, it seems to be fairly unfriendly to her own team. Though that highlights another oddity to this puzzle. Dazzling Midnight has such a powerful teleport...but she wasn't among the ponies in the break in several days ago. In fact, she needed Keep employees for her team to get in. There's a variable to all this that we're missing. Maybe the spell tires her out if done too often. Of course, it's possible she's just an aberration of nature and she simply plays things safe. I feel the term "monster" should be applied to actions, not ability or origin. Still, the biggest issue is that she's smart. Whether through immense magical power or playing by a different set of rules, she knows how to leverage what she can do. If only one of us had more insight to her methods or personality quirks."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"Are you saying it might have been better in the long run for Static to have joined her and been a super cool secret double double agent!... instead of the single double agent she wanted him to be...."

Maple smiled... single double teehee

"Like Tartarus!" Static growled at Maple's suggestion. "I consider myself damn lucky I didn't get sucked in with her wiles."

Static thought for a moment. "Maybe, and this is complete theory as well, she wasn't a part of the break in because she's a higher up. I mean, I'm sure you and Ms. Iron can be effective in battle. But you're the one's in charge, who strategize. You don't get into the actual fighting unless something really major is going on. We're the foot soldiers, so to speak. Maybe Dazzling's that high up."

"Of course, if that's true, then the fact that Dazzling took it upon herself to personally break Silent Belle out of prison would mean she's really important to what ever they have planned next."

Maple growled right back...

"Maybe she's just her friend!" Maple then turned back to Miss Flint.

"..And if she has one friend, maybe she wants more friends... was Mr. Static the only Keep employee she's shown any type of interest in? I mean I don't think Static's cut out to be a super secret double double agent... "

Maple looked back at the group. "I think there were coin agents scattered throughout the Manehatten branch ... at least that's one theory for the weirdness going on up there, but as far as I know none of them paid me any attention... has anyone else been in contact with them..or this Miss Midnight?"

Static sighed. He'd hoped that the expedition to Nightmare Heights would've broken Maple of this naiveté.

"Well, unless I totally mis-read a totally un-mis-readable situation, I'd say my ex-boss (Mr. Stiff Feather) for one," He said in answer to Maple's question.

"And I'm never going to be one of them, and not because I'm not 'cut out for it'. Sweet Luna I could do it so easily!"

"I find it really endearing that you like to think the best of ponies. But believe it or not, there are good guys and there are bad guys. Face them once or twice and tell me I'm wrong! They're the bad ones. Me? I'm trying. I'm trying really...really hard to be one of the good ones."

"So please, don't tell me I'd have been better off in the long run joining Dazzling and being one of her super cool double double agents. That very same thought has been through my mind more than once, and some days are easier than others trying to convince myself otherwise!"

Amber's eyes snapped up from her notebook for the first time in several minutes. She hoped as she glared over the tops of her glasses at the yellow cloud in front of her that her attempt at an intimidating stare wouldn't be obviously crosseyed. "Mister Signal, really, that is quite all that anypony is saying. Nopony could expect you to act as a - ah, treble agent given your feelings on the matter. But if the Keep sees it as in our best interests to discover what we can about COIN, we can't well overlook the necessity of seeing things from their perspective." Amber looked back to her notebook. "Magic capable of circumventing the police's safeguards could be a threat to our own. Miss Jack is correct that Ms. Midnight is clearly too valuable to be assigned to the kinds of operations that led to Ms. Belle's capture, but that incident was a setup for both parties, and both parties, to varying degrees of clearance" - Amber scowled - "knew it. Our work here is vulnerable without taking further precautions."

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
"By NO means am I saying he should have joined them. Though he may have valid points on her actions. She broke into prison for exactly one pony and left the rest there. Whether it be from the most vile of individuals still having friends to it simply being a business engagement, she has priorities."

Steel Flint took a sip of tea. "And that's important. She certainly didn't break Stiff Feather out of prison. However, "value" is another of her odd! ities. She recruits in a face to face environment. That's fairly dangerous if anypony is on to her."

Maple nodded, she wasn't sure she understood all of what Miss Spark just said, but it sounded agreeable. Then she turned back to Static.

"Actually I didn't say anything about it being better ..for you, in fact."

Maple rolled her ears a little so they pointed more toward Static... then let them move back to their normal location.

"I was speaking to Miss Flint, about how it might have been worth the risk to have somepony on the inside of their organization, so we wouldn't be in such strategic fog right now. If We could exploit something we know about the Miss Midnight, it would have to be one of the small number of things we do know about her."

Maple uses her wingtips to count down the items as she lists them, one feather each

1. We know she had some interest in you
2. We know she was involved in the escape
3. We can infer that there is a link between these two ladies of some kind.

Maple put her wing down... "The notion that you would be a good pony for the job currently wasn't even a thought I had Static, this entire thing obviously bothers you... what with the grumpy face and the growling... Maple motioned back to the group with a little head nod... That's why I asked if any of them had been in contact with her... so we could maybe add to our list, ...Maple wiggles her wingtip feathers at Static ... or discover somepony else that might be a convincing mole to send her as a turncoat."

"I understand you might think I'm just a simple pony Static, but I'm good with ponies ... I almost wish I could have met either of these two mares. I know not everyone is good...trust me I do, but as somepony making a film about Luna should remember... badguys have motivations too, and most of them don't see themselves as badguys."

"What does she look like? What should I do if I see her?" Misty asks. This was clearly a sensitive situation and she didn't want to be caught off guard.

Static nod's slowly. "When you said..."

Destron D-69:
"Are you saying it might have been better in the long run for Static to have joined her and been a super cool secret double double agent!

"I thought you meant...oh heck with it! Yeah, touchy subject."

Static sighed.

"Okay...well...double agent for the Keep spying on COIN actually was another course of action I considered. But the thing is...I...didn't trust myself."

"Dazzling has a way of making things sound so..."
Static sighs again. "I don't know. It's like...right off the bat when I first met her she was setting off all kinds of alarms in my head. But she plays so well to what a pony thinks they want, what they need."

"If we were to try an infiltrate them, it would have to be someone who knows where they stand...someone who could stand up to that kind of temptation...someone we trust beyond all reproach."

"Which kinda rules me out...even if I hadn't already burned that bridge."

Static didn't like being this open about the temptation he felt around Steel Flint. It was like he was admitting he was untrustworthy. But Dazzling couldn't be underestimated. He had to be truthful about his impressions of her.

Static describes Dazzling Midnight to Misty. "She doesn't know you. You're too new to STOMP and you haven't faced COIN. So I doubt she'd see you as an enemy...yet. But whatever you do, don't face her alone. She's twice slipped through the police's hooves with contemptuous ease. And above all, remember whose side you're on.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Amber nodded to Ms. Flint. "The situation seems roughly as I had feared. It never even occurred to me that the walls of the Keep might be protected against winking because" - Amber's voice dropped slightly - "hmm, because I've never been able to wink through walls of any kind. But just as your protection against magical communications didn't interfere with Mr. Signal's transponder, which is a device that uses magical signals to communicate but doesn't use any ordinary communication spell - hmm. I suppose it's like the Anugyptian queen; the location where she was summoned certainly wasn't the location where she was banished, but nopony would say that she had used teleportation magic to get there. In between, she was simply" - Amber scowled and looked in Night Cap's direction - "nowhere in particular. So protecting the Keep against teleportation magic or illusion magic or any other particular spell doesn't mean there isn't some way to come to the same effect."

"Um... where do you go to get to nowhere?"

[Night Cap]​
"It's pretty simple. If what you're searching for isn't anywhere, you should try searching nowhere."

Amber looked at Night Cap again, no longer frowning. "I'm beginning to think that it depends on whom you're talking to. Conversations with some ponies seem to reliably lead to nowhere quite quickly."

"Hmmm." Misty ponders this. She's had plenty of conversations with other ponies since coming to the Keep, but had never ended up in any place that could be called nowhere. This was quite a puzzle.

*gasp* "Light! Silky! Is that you?" Bopping down the sidewalk with a boogie in her stride was a magenta pony with a poofy, curly purple mane and light blue headband with matching leg warmers. It was none other than the music and dance sensation, Jam Session. "Long time no see girl! How you been?"

Spoiler

Many, many of Snowy's thoughts were completely inadmissible in front of Steel Flint. Among them were a few dozen sharp remarks about Steel Flint's apparent purpose as a call center for the Keep and the fact that he would still very much like to meet Dazzling Midnight. He doubted anyone on the team would consider him beyond distrust, but he couldn't deny that he was drawn to everything about the idea. The extent of the performance he would have to weave and the opportunity to decide for himself which job offer he liked were great draws (but he quietly understood that COIN would be even more gleeful to have a henchman who could be disposed of by city police even m! ore than the Keep did). But he knew how idiotic voicing that opinion was, and Steel Flint seemed to have a perfectly adequate time communicating with Night Cap, so he remained silent.

...Static's tendency to respond sharply (and more importantly openly) to perceived slights was starting to bother him. What might he replace them with? Hm...

Was his orange-and-black obelisk chamber one of the Keep's high-security containment rooms? That would explain a great deal. It was probably the best thing he was going to learn in this conversation (and he couldn't even be certain if it was true).

Well, there was something he could add to the growing pile of collected facts. The others had been tossing them on the table like playing cards. "When Dazzling Midnight attacked the jail, there was a touch of her magic left behind. It was keeping a sheet of paper afloat in the room with the jail cells. But it wasn't normal levitation, the paper was...slowly disintegrating while hovering in midair. And when Night Cap touched it, it fell to the floor immediately. The police have the paper now."

"Do you think the paper might still contain some magic that we could analyze?" asked Amber. "And an object being held by the police might be difficult to acquire, particularly if we want it for the same reasons," she said, voice trailing off slightly.

Steel Flint arched her eyebrow in intrigue. She pulled out a pencil and a piece of paper and scribbled anote. "Now that sounds like a bit of researchable information. Thank you Mr. Skies."

"wow mister Skies, I was thinking Mr. Night Cap would be the best choice to be the fourple agent ..." Maple winks at Miss Spark thinking she'd appreciate the math joke... "...but you'd be perfect too, you're so nice... they'd never doubt you were one of them... it's too bad that's also why it wouldn't work -because why would such bad ponies look to recruit you."

Maple paused for a minute and the realized what she had inadvertently said about both Static and Mr. Night Cap....

"sorry, Mister Night Cap, ...I just mean I know you're a nice guy too... but there must have been some reason the ponies of Nightmare heights acted the way they did towards you when we landed... and whatever mistake they were making would surely be something we could embellish a lot to make Coin want you to work for them...."

Maple put her face in her hooves and decided to stay quiet for a while

"I doubt we can get the sheet of paper from them but if we ask, there's the possibility that they'll let us examine it. Regardless, we have a starting point for research, even without the paper itself."

"Well...shoot! She did the same thing to a bottle of cider last time I met with her. She teleported out, making a unicorn sick in the process, and left a cider bottle just hanging there mid-air. I was kinda creeped out at the moment to think straight. Certainly wasn't thinking about residual magic to be studied. I...kinda threw it along with the rest of my cider out...so I don't have it anymore. But it seems to be showing a pattern of what her abilities are."

Top Bottom