How to survive?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Will having a mate, a companion, help you to survive and make life easier by sharing the burden and helping each other?

Will it give me the drive, motivation, and energy as it did him?

Axaday

Citizen
Will having a mate, a companion, help you to survive and make life easier by sharing the burden and helping each other?

Will it give me the drive, motivation, and energy as it did him?

Statistically, married people live longer than non-married people, but marriage and longer life could both be symptoms of a third factor.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Whenever I’ve had any type of somewhat friendship or association with females it has hurt me. They used me, abused me, drained me dry financially, and tossed me aside, an empty husk.

I almost did not survive. And she did not care.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Sometimes I wish I could do this:

I think I’d have a greater chance of surviving. Letting my emotions get the best of me has gotten me in trouble time and time again.

Axaday

Citizen
Dating can be very hard to survive. Marriage isn't for everyone. I would switch off my emotions from time to time if I could.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Violence seems to work for survival. I think the saying, “Violence does not solve any problems, “ is not entirely true. We see politicians make decisions out of fear of violence from protesters. Judges pass sentences because they are afraid of backlash from the public.

Does crime pay? It’s been around since the beginning of time. Prostitution is the world’s oldest profession. It must have some survival value. The drug trade is very lucrative.

It seems like people join gangs for protection, resources, and a sense of belonging.

No one messes with predators:

The sad fact is people who project the threat of violence are treated with kindness and respect while the weak are bullied, picked on, used, taken advantage of, and treated as less than human.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why haven’t we figured out how to survive cancer?

We’re still as clueless as ever, doing the same types of treatments (radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery) as were done in the 1960’s

Why is this so hard? How can a perfectly healthy individual be told by a doctor that they only have a month to live?

Axaday

Citizen
A lot of people survive cancer.

We aren’t treating it remotely the same as the 1960s.

Doctors don’t tell perfectly healthy individuals that they have a month to live. You are maybe thinking of people whose body is full of cancer.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Cancer doctors are still cutting off body parts and removing organs. The patients end up worse after the surgery than they were before.

People can feel perfectly fine, go to a doctor for a routine checkup, and be told that that they only have months to live.

Axaday

Citizen
Cancer doctors are still cutting off body parts and removing organs. The patients end up worse after the surgery than they were before.

Cancer is your body tissue transforming into malignant cancer tissue. When they remove that, it isn't your organs anymore. It is useless, nutrient grabbing, expanding, not-you tissue. You are worse off because your organs started turning into cancer, not because they cut it out.

People can feel perfectly fine, go to a doctor for a routine checkup, and be told that that they only have months to live.

Yes. They can FEEL perfectly fine and have only a month to live. But inside their body, their organs are turning into useless non-organs. They aren't fine.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
Also Cancer isn't a single thing, just like there's not a single "Common Cold" virus. The only thing the various types have in common is the "forgetting their function and growing out of control, taking all the resources they can" bit. There's vaccinations already that work on greatly reducing specific types of cancers, but do jack-all on other types.

Also I can vouch for the "it can come on fast" in the modern day for specific people. My own mom went from nothing straight to stage 3 between checks. They did treatments but it only got her a extra year or two, from what I recall of her timeline.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
There’s got to be a better way:

I thought cancer progresses very, very slowly in old people and very fast in young. If an old man gets prostrate cancer it’s no big deal because it’s slow-growing in old people and he’ll probably die of old age first. Also, if an old woman gets leukemia it doesn’t hit her as hard as it would a young person, I heard.

Don’t all cancers generally move slowly in old people because they’re old, and is fast-moving in young people because they’re young?

If old people just left the cancer alone wouldn’t they just die of old age before the cancer got to them?

Axaday

Citizen
I thought cancer progresses very, very slowly in old people and very fast in young. If an old man gets prostrate cancer it’s no big deal because it’s slow-growing in old people and he’ll probably die of old age first. Also, if an old woman gets leukemia it doesn’t hit her as hard as it would a young person, I heard.

Don’t all cancers generally move slowly in old people because they’re old, and is fast-moving in young people because they’re young?

If old people just left the cancer alone wouldn’t they just die of old age before the cancer got to them?

Cancer goes fast in old people and slow in young people and slow in old people and fast in young people.

My mom had cancer and survived it. For ten years and who knows how much longer, but ALS got her before cancer got another shot. My dad has cancer now, but it is slow growing and they are going to monitor it but they believe the cancer doesn't have enough time to cause a problem because he is 72 and it is little and slow and was just caught on a scan for something else. One of my coworkers' mother died a few years ago in her 80s from a super fast everything cancer in her abdomen.

There is no age rule except that the older you are the more likely you are to have it.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
People used to say never to perform CPR on someone unless you’re certified because you could hurt the person (eg. break their ribs). However, 911 operators are always telling non-certified and non-qualified people to perform CPR.

Does that mean anyone can perform CPR by watching YouTube videos and not have to get certified?

Axaday

Citizen
I get regular first step CPR training things at work, not certification level, and the last several times they've said the new thinking is that if you find a person who is not breathing but not quite dead, anything you are able to do for them might help. If they don't make it they won't mind a broken rib and if they do make it they won't begrudge it.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Women seem to be better off than men because they have more natural currency for survival. They don’t have to work for it really.

Females are biologically superior because they live longer.

Girls really are the ultimate survivors and the most efficient predators.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’m just not sure I have the skills to survive relationships. Human relationships can be deadly:

It can bring even the strongest man to his knees. Still they must serve a purpose. Do people start families as a way of surviving past death?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Our oldest description of cancer (although the word cancer was not used) was discovered in Egypt and dates back to about 3000 BC.

Why haven’t we found a cure yet?

People are able to live normal lives with HIV/AIDS with medications. Why haven’t we done the same for cancer.

Human beings and other animals have had cancer throughout recorded history. We’ve had since the dawn of history to come up with a cure or medications to normalize the lives of people with cancer.

If we were able to do it with HIV/AIDS in less than 40 years, how come we haven’t been able to do the same with cancer given well over 5000 years?

Plutoniumboss

Citizen
Because "cancer" isn't just one disease, the same type of cancer in the same location may behave radically differently from person to person. Also, since cancer is basically your body's own cells, it's extremely difficult to target it without a lot of collateral damage.

Top Bottom