How to survive?

Axaday

Citizen
My life isn't without troubles that I mostly don't go into in a forum like this, but my parents did set me on a good foundation and I have had good luck and made good on some opportunities. So there you go. Barring big surprises, I am on a course where I don't have to worry.

Someone replied maybe a little harshly to you yesterday. I didn't reply because mine would have been similar. Much as I would like Earth to be the way it is in 24th Century Star Trek, it isn't. If you want an income to support a family and benefits, your job is either going to be hard or require skills/training that are uncommon. No one is going to find you a job you can do from home with minimal effort and great reward. And I gather from things you post about that you are on about my age, so if your 401k isn't already on course, it is going to have a limited impact on your retirement. You will need really good luck and really hard work to get where you want to be.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Are you aware that the tech companies are laying off thousands of people right now?

I think that’s how I lost my job early this year:

IMG_1475.jpeg

It was part of a reduction in workforce that I got laid off:

IMG_1476.jpeg

My position was eliminated, so they said.

I’m hoping that the tech industry is done laying off workers. They usually do that to temporarily raise their stock prices.

I like being part of a big, prestigious company because I feel they can afford to pay more for less work. And the many hands in a large company or organization make the work lighter because the burden is spread out amongst a lot more people.

The problem was that after the pandemic everyone still wanted to work from home everyday, including me. So that created a lot of redundancy. There was a lot of politics going on. Basically 90% of the organization was trying to force 10%, including me, to come back into work onsite everyday so that the 90% could continue to work from home every day. I was willing to rotate onsite/offsite every other week, but it apparently was not enough to keep me from getting laid off. I began to resent my boss for trying to constantly coerce me into agreeing to work onsite everyday while he worked from home everyday full time. I refused to give him a glowing review at the end of last year like I normally do, and I think he took offense to that which is why I believe he chose me to get laid off.

I just got tired of walking and taking the bus to and from work, an hour each way, every day. I had no life.

I’m hoping I can find something closer so I can have time to do other things besides work, like enjoy life and be there for my family.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I haven't replied again because there wasn't much I could say, but you do need to keep in mind that the longer you are out of work, the harder it will be to re-enter at anything like your old wage, much less a higher one, and there is a lot more competition now due to those layoffs. It's not stopping, it's actually getting worse. And different jobs do have different levels of 'show up' responsibility. Your boss might not have been doing anything like what you did. Generally the higher up you go the more flexibility you will have, but at the door, you will be putting in the hours and doing the 'be there this time' stuff, there's no way around that. The 'digital nomad' lifestyle predicted during the pandemic didn't pan out. If it's causing that much of a burden mentally, you need to talk to a professional, not ask for advice here. No one here can get you a job or improve your work ethic. It's a fanboard for toy robots, and while we do talk about more serious things, either we're not motivational professionals, or if we are, we don't do our jobs on this board.

At this point in the economic situation across the board, expect to get up, go to work, and be there, daily. There's no real alternative. Being there for your family isn't much help if you can't bring in any support for them.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
My parents told me, their friends, and relatives that I had a bad brain when I was growing up. I think they did that to save them the embarrassment of having it pointed out to them by others when we had visitors over or if we went to other people’s homes. It hurt me and has stayed with me all my life. I don’t know what to do with that information, how to process it, especially when I know that it’s true. And if that’s the case, what’s the point in my even trying then? I’ll just fail.

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Why do people just accept that a family member is dying just because a doctor says they are? Where there’s life, there’s hope. Why do people just give up? Why aren’t they fighting to stay alive till the very end? Can’t they just pump the person with steroids to keep them alive? Aren’t there always things that you can do? Steven Hawking was able to stay alive for decades in pretty much a state of dying. I heard we now have the technology to keep the head alive separated from the body. Who is anyone to tell you that you or your family member is dying? They are not God. How is ending someone’s life merciful when the alternative is death? Isn’t death worse than any pain?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Miracles can happen. This is how you fight and survive:

with the power of love.

Last edited:

Axaday

Citizen
My parents told me, their friends, and relatives that I had a bad brain when I was growing up. I think they did that to save them the embarrassment of having it pointed out to them by others when we had visitors over or if we went to other people’s homes. It hurt me and has stayed with me all my life. I don’t know what to do with that information, how to process it, especially when I know that it’s true. And if that’s the case, what’s the point in my even trying then? I’ll just fail.

I am sad to read that. If you have a disability there are some right ways to handle it and a lot of wrong ones and your parents didn't get it right.

Why do people just accept that a family member is dying just because a doctor says they are? Where there’s life, there’s hope. Why do people just give up? Why aren’t they fighting to stay alive till the very end? Can’t they just pump the person with steroids to keep them alive? Aren’t there always things that you can do? Steven Hawking was able to stay alive for decades in pretty much a state of dying. I heard we now have the technology to keep the head alive separated from the body. Who is anyone to tell you that you or your family member is dying? They are not God. How is ending someone’s life merciful when the alternative is death? Isn’t death worse than any pain?

My mom died a year ago. She continued to decline despite treatment for various conditions. She probably had a few strokes near the end. When she couldn't eat anymore and couldn't speak and could barely stay awake, my Dad and sister brought in hospice and stopped treating the various ailments. I am doubtful that she would have lived a lot longer with all of her medicines. I don't feel like we just gave up. What end would have been served by hooking her up to a machine and keeping her heart and lungs operating?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Is the Bible a survival guide for life?

Is it like a roadmap for life as some would call it?

I’ve heard the Bible is the most complex book in the world.

I’ve never been able to get it to work for me. In fact it’s hurt me. Maybe I wasn’t using it properly.

I heard that the Gutenberg Bible is the reason why we have books to read today. It was the first book printed and made available to the masses. It was the beginning of literacy, when Martin Luther defied the Catholic Church.

Before then, the only people who knew how to read were the Church and aristocrats. Common, regular people had to go to the Church to get information imparted, spoken to them because no one could read.

I’d like to know how to use the Bible to get my life in order. I want to know how to extract and decode the instructions.

Last edited:

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen
The Christian bible, if you boil it down to its essentials, amounts to nothing more than Jesus saying:
giphy.gif

The Old Testament, in Christian theology, was a combination of rules for surviving as a nomadic desert tribe, morality plays, and teaser trailers for Christ. The New Testament was Jesus's life, basically repeating the above message many times in many ways. Unfortunately IMO a lot of people get hung up on the words, or try to apply things from the OT that are no longer relevant(as Jesus himself IIRC said so himself), all in pursuit of pushing their own biases and agendas. If you want to live life by the bible, the above message is the biggest thing to take away from it, and don't get tangled in the specifics.

Of course the Jewish version is just the OT, and athe Quran has their own interpretations, hence my specifying "Christian bible" above.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
The Christian bible, if you boil it down to its essentials, amounts to nothing more than Jesus saying:
giphy.gif

The Old Testament, in Christian theology, was a combination of rules for surviving as a nomadic desert tribe, morality plays, and teaser trailers for Christ. The New Testament was Jesus's life, basically repeating the above message many times in many ways. Unfortunately IMO a lot of people get hung up on the words, or try to apply things from the OT that are no longer relevant(as Jesus himself IIRC said so himself), all in pursuit of pushing their own biases and agendas. If you want to live life by the bible, the above message is the biggest thing to take away from it, and don't get tangled in the specifics.

Of course the Jewish version is just the OT, and athe Quran has their own interpretations, hence my specifying "Christian bible" above.

Very eloquently put.:)

Can I expect a transcendental experience? Will He upgrade me, give me the power to destroy my enemies, and make me into a digital nomad?

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Do you need friends and a romantic partner for survival?

I heard someone say, “You’re never alone with a good book. “

Can this be extended to say:

“You’re never alone with a good podcast. “
“You’re never alone with a good TV show. “
“You’re never alone with a good radio program. “

Does listening to an audible book count as reading that book?

Is liking reading a genetic trait? I’ve never liked reading, but I envy those who do. I read so slowly and painfully, and I have to keep going back because I get distracted and forget what I just read. My brain ends up quickly exhausted and drained, and I fall asleep for hours. In contrast, natural readers seem to go through books like a vacuum cleaner and feel energized in the process and afterwards.

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’m looking to attract a mate who will give me empathy, compassion, love, attention, pampering and positive stroking:

No strings attached.

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Try not to go into a nursing home. You will be mistreated.

I don’t trust hospitals either. They will hook you up to machines, and it will be game over. You’re as good as dead.

Both places can tie you up against your will. You will be their prisoner, in chains. It’s inhumane and cruel.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’m trying to save money on bottled water.

I actually heard that it’s fine to drink the tap water straight from my bathroom faucet or the shower nozzle.

But I don’t know anyone who does this.

They all buy bottled water, and if they want to save on bottled water they use the Brita pitcher with 6-month replacement filters.

No one I know drinks straight tap water, especially from the bathroom faucet. But I’ve heard from the governor and health department of the State of California that the tap water has higher health standards than bottled water.

It’s just that drinking straight tap water seems universally considered unaesthetic. But health officials say it’s sanitary and okay to drink straight from the faucet without any filtering.

I think the tap water at least from my shower nozzle (the shower head broke off so I get a strong flow) has a noticeable taste of chlorine, but I’m thinking the level of chlorine is safe. I figure letting the tap water sit in open air will release the chlorine eventually, or boiling the water will cause the chlorine to diffuse into the air even faster.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I drink water from my fridge. My fridge has a filter, and I have a filter before the water gets to the fridge. I like to think that's good enough.

Top Bottom