Hollywood is on Strike

Axaday

Citizen
AI is crazy stuff. My wife will be on a grade appeal board this week. A paper didn't seem to be the same voice a student used before and an online analysis tool said it was likely written by AI, but can it be proven?

A lot of questions follow. The skills students learn writing a research paper have long been mostly unused by most people after graduation, but there has been a sense that they needed to have the skill. Maybe the skill won't be necessary going forward and only people doing Masters and PhD will need it. Maybe we'll stop having everyone else write papers at all.

Shadewing

Citizen
The "simple" solution to that is prioritize the purchasing of games that either do not use voice acting, or has certified that it has real actors working for it rather than AI voice generation.

Make 'em feel it in the pocket book, and they'll change their tune.

Oh yes, convince people not to play Triple A video games; because that always works. -=looks at the discourse over the Hogwarts game earlier this year=-

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
There's a reason I put simple in quotes man. We all know that'll it work: but almost no one will do it because they aren't giving up their games.

Shadewing

Citizen
There could be an actually Ring-like triple A video game that literally kills you if you play it; with full documentation of all the player deaths... and people would still buy the **** outta it and play it.

Dake

Citizen
AI is crazy stuff. My wife will be on a grade appeal board this week. A paper didn't seem to be the same voice a student used before and an online analysis tool said it was likely written by AI, but can it be proven?

A lot of questions follow. The skills students learn writing a research paper have long been mostly unused by most people after graduation, but there has been a sense that they needed to have the skill. Maybe the skill won't be necessary going forward and only people doing Masters and PhD will need it. Maybe we'll stop having everyone else write papers at all.

There are AI programs that can detect with fairly decent accuracy the probability that something was written by AI.

As for the value of writing research papers, there is value in learning how to assemble, collate and present information. You don't need to be an advanced degree student to utilize those skills in the "real" world. The research paper itself might not be valuable but as with much in formal education, it's the process that counts. If nothing else the process also teaches subject matter, but if an AI writes a paper, now the student isn't really any wiser on a topic than they were before.

wonko the sane?

Citizen
Fallout 4 did need that though.
Oh, indeed. The things the modders are doing with often time free tools is just incredible.

Which makes it more terrifying for actors: if a bunch of nobodies with free tools can make stuff that makes the original creators stand up and take notice: what can an organization with billions in funds do? Probably make stuff so seamlessly that even the actors would question what actually happened.

I do not want the future where machines are writing the books and making the movies while humans are killing themselves doing all the manual labour.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
The "simple" solution to that is prioritize the purchasing of games that either do not use voice acting, or has certified that it has real actors working for it rather than AI voice generation.

Make 'em feel it in the pocket book, and they'll change their tune.
The only problem I have with this is that it can cause issues with legitimate uses of AI voice synth in games. Say I'm developing a game that heavily features procedural generation, right down to place/character names and quests. There's no way in the world I could pull that off with a voice actor, so my choices are either AI text to speech, or just using text. Be a shame to limit said games to text only. Now for a scripted, narrative driven game, things are definitely different.

I do not want the future where machines are writing the books and making the movies while humans are killing themselves doing all the manual labour.
Frankly, machines can do most of the manual labor too. Robotics has improved considerably over the last two decades. I, frankly, look forward to the day when humans can dedicate their lives to their passions instead of doing whatever they can to keep a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. Also keep in mind that people still go to concerts and watch plays even after the advent of recorded video and audio.

The big problem is that the current way the economy works won't allow the true benefits of emerging technology to take hold and the people pushing the technology the most don't want to change the economy.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

Were they required to make citations? Current LLMs love to make fake links that don't exist(since it doesn't treat it as a unit, but as a bunch of words that have a high probability of being arranged in this fashion), and if they weren't assigned sources to cite from but had to make citations, there's a chance that the LLM just made them up. If the student didn't want to take the time to write it after all, they almost certainly didn't take the time to check all the links to make sure they were valid.

Even lawyers have gotten caught up in that: https://www.legaldive.com/news/chatgpt-fake-legal-cases-generative-ai-hallucinations/651557/

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
Well, yes, especially on the management side, but there are levels. Unions have more power in some industries than they do in others and gaming (software in general, really) tends to be towards the minimal end when it comes union power.

Dake

Citizen
Yeah, and it's because for most of its history, people working in the game industry were looked down on as not real artists, or skilled individuals. Consequently, the bigger unions wrote them off.

Dekafox

Fabulously Foxy Dragon
Citizen

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That is a horrible deal. They should need to have permission and compensation to the estate/family.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd be okay with having a statute of limitations on it. I would love to see this technology used to recreate some lost film scenes. But what studios are asking for here is nuts.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd be okay with having a statute of limitations on it. I would love to see this technology used to recreate some lost film scenes. But what studios are asking for here is nuts.
Sure, but let's use the same rules as they do for IP going to the public domain. Which would be 70 years after the death of the creator.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
*gets some popcorn and watches the fire burn*
Say! Anyone got any kerosene?

wonko the sane?

Citizen
I've got a garage full of ethelyne derivatives. Are you intending to throw a cocktail party?

Top Bottom