Hollywood is on Strike

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
There is a potential escalation in play:
The voice actor union has joined the fray, especially in regards to AI replication of performers' likeness. If unaddressed, they might also be joining the broader entertainment strike.

Ungnome

Grand Empress of the Empire of One Square Foot.
Citizen
With the UAW also on strike, we could be getting closer to a general strike. Just need a couple more industries to enter the fray.

Echowarrior

Citizen
With the UAW also on strike, we could be getting closer to a general strike. Just need a couple more industries to enter the fray.

The UAW is doing limited strikes, however. Only workers in a few states are on strike, rather than all of them. Odds are good that their strike will end much sooner than the strikes in Hollywood.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Shame. We could use a general strike. (Or at least the metalworker unions. It's about the only way I'll get anything like a vacation any time soon.....)

Dake

Citizen
Southwest Airlines pilots are getting close as well. Although the RLA makes it a bit more complicated there.

The Predaking

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Time is reporting the WAG have reached a tentative agreement. Picketing has stopped while the finalized version gets made and voted on. No word on any progress with SAG.

Echowarrior

Citizen
I sincerely hope that this is one that the WGA can be satisfied with, and that it can be a good springboard for the SAG.

Tuxedo Prime

Citizen
The new season of survivor is 90 minute episodes. Considering the last writers strike spawned reality TV as we know it today: I fear what loathsome abomination with be birthed with this one.
We also got Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, as I recall (as well as a big boost to the Tube of You from all the Evil League of Evil applications....).

Ungnome

Citizen
Nah, we're beyond that now. It will all be Siri level text to speech, either that or every game's dialog will be rendered in Animal Crossing speak.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
Hell, modders have been using AI to add entirely new voice dialogue to fallout 4. Not spliced together existing lines, entirely new.

Frankly: it's ******* terrifying. I hope the union wins.

Ungnome

Citizen
My fear is that it's too late and I can easily see the executives in the gaming industry simply saying 'we don't need you anymore' to SAG-AFTRA members. The industry is notoriously anti-union as it stands, after all.

wonko the sane?

You may test that assumption at your convinience.
Citizen
The "simple" solution to that is prioritize the purchasing of games that either do not use voice acting, or has certified that it has real actors working for it rather than AI voice generation.

Make 'em feel it in the pocket book, and they'll change their tune.

Top Bottom