He-Man, and also the Masters of the Universe

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
The Mattel Creations thing was...just for MC exclusives. Dug the behind the scenes of the stop motion Origins mini films.

But I have to say that Mattel's presentation needs a LOT of work. Which is sad since they are repeating the same mistakes Hasbro "grew out of" in their own Pulse presentations. The "nerdy celeb host" wasn't necessary, and I think detracted from spotlighting the actual Mattel people that work on those lines (Dara, of the MOTU team, had as much or more personality than Trisha Herschberger). Of which, you could clearly tell one of the MOTU team was PAINFULLY out of his element in the structured presentation.
Plus, by live-streaming through their own site with free range comments, you got all the usual garbage, including endless complaints on international distribution, Walmart, and some jackass that kept posting about WWE, despite repeatedly told (along with the posted schedule) that Mattel wasn't covering that until tomorrow (pretty sure he got muted at some point).

Previewed were the Creations exclusives Origins Demo-Man and Geldor (mini comic guy) and a fantastic looking Masterverse New Eternia Horde Trooper. But the mass retail offerings?
Wait until next Tuesday when the product catalogs drop.

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
That Rocksteady/Bebop/Two Bad one looks interesting, if my Target ever decides to carry anything more than just the Mouse-Jaw.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Ironically, Skeletor reminds me of Scare Glow... which isn't a crossover at all!

Teela reminds me of Link.

Is Splinter evoking anyone in particular?

Platypus Prime

Citizen
I may get that AS my King Grayskull, after all, its supposedly very old, there's no telling which species built it or how distorted the legends became over time (I'm the guy who assumes not all Sorceresses were bird totems, and snakes have been represented in the past).

ToyHax has Grayskull stickers, I actually laughed at the Orko elevator one!

Last edited:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd still like a figure of the 20XX King Grayskull. I friggin' loved that episode. It's the one I tend to go back to watch most.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I’ve eyeballing a Grayskull since I’ve been getting back into MOTU. Origins is easily available…but so is the Netflix one. The Netflix Grayskull doesn’t come with a figure, but I really DO dig many of the design elements (the fusion of retro stone castle with sleek metal towers), plus it retains a number of classic play features like a viewscreen and weapons rack. Plus the electronic features are just so nifty, including using the included power sword to open the jaw bridge or activate lighting effects on the roof. I’m sad I missed it for $30 last year, but I’m watching Amazon to see if they get blown out again.

Agent X

Kreon Bastard
Citizen
I’ve eyeballing a Grayskull since I’ve been getting back into MOTU. Origins is easily available…but so is the Netflix one. The Netflix Grayskull doesn’t come with a figure, but I really DO dig many of the design elements (the fusion of retro stone castle with sleek metal towers), plus it retains a number of classic play features like a viewscreen and weapons rack. Plus the electronic features are just so nifty, including using the included power sword to open the jaw bridge or activate lighting effects on the roof. I’m sad I missed it for $30 last year, but I’m watching Amazon to see if they get blown out again.

The thing is undersized, but solid. I mean once you get it together, you're never getting it apart. Not without damaging it that is.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Everything there looks good. But things I wish were there and aren't: Origins Rio-Blast and Horde Slime Pit.

ZacWilliam, a lot of the non origins figures look good, but I can't get into another scale.

Confuzor

Koopaling Aficionado
Citizen
Im really thinking abkut getting that Throne Skeletor. I heard it was "Fan Chanel" , does that mean on Mattel's website that sells out in seconds?

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
ZacWilliam, a lot of the non origins figures look good, but I can't get into another scale.
Same here. I splurged on a Masterverse figure from Best Buy with some rewards (got 40th He-Man!), but with all the OTHER stuff I buy...another scale isn't feasible. That said, I've LOVED a majority of the New Eternia redesigns. Sy-Klone and his battle mask are gorgeous and Leech turned out great. I really wish we'd get a "cheaper line" of these designs with reduced articulation and deco.
That said, Merman is the first New Eternia design I've not liked. I see what they're going for, but it's like they don't commit to the concept. Something just doesn't click with me, and given the choice, I'd rather the Revelation Classic Merman.

Im really thinking abkut getting that Throne Skeletor. I heard it was "Fan Chanel" , does that mean on Mattel's website that sells out in seconds?
If it were Hasbro, Fan Channel just means online retailers. I guess to Mattel, Fan Channel means "OUR singular fan channel". But my observation is that Masterverse stuff doesn't sell out NEARLY as fast. It's Origins that gets the instant sell outs.

Additional Origins info (didn't watch the video, not sure if covered, but this was included with Toyark's posts)-
Mattel added additional assortment info for Origins, Orko is slated for a Fan Favorite Reissue with Cartoon Collection Webstor and Evil-Lynn. They also posted a listing for a Fan Favorite Trap Jaw, but I'm not sure that info is accurate (they still cite Terroar as an upcoming release, with no info on Necro Conda). Between the comic version reissue, Filmation version, Mouse Jaw and New Eternia...I'm not sure Trap Jaw is THAT popular. Even if he was a "classic version" rerun.
Then again, the catalog doesn't feature the Filmation Stratos/Merman wave which is due pretty soon, so...

General Origins thoughts- I'm sad to see so much "fresh and new" being relegated to Mattel Creations or Walmart. The Adam/Cringer pack is excellent, and the Collector is a fantastic new vehicle. Had big play on the show, and they did well in making it a solid centerpiece type item. Vecma is a REALLY nice execution (GREAT reuse of the mutant Mossman parts), unfortunate the He-Man (like the current pack's Skeletor) skews so boring. Webstor is the first really questionable Filmation selection, IMO. With Mattel rerunning the original, the Filmation version doesn't feel distinctive enough, nor is the character significant enough to make up for it.
Vypor looks fantastic, and the Crimson Horde Trooper is a nice little set (too bad it's a Walmart exclusive).

Turtles of Grayskull remains my biggest joy of the year. Some oddities in the final wave, though.
Love Mikey's hair is removable. April is great, but Hordak? He's freakin' GORGEOUS! The fusion of PoP, the mutatation elements and cybernetics make for an amazing interpretation. MerMan joins Hordak in being JUST AMAZING. For some reason, the "fish man" elements seemed to gel here better than the New Eternia version. The inclusion of the tail makes for a compelling deluxe figure. The translucent blue, the gold armor and the purple details just pop, and I LOVE the revamped face design.
He-Man comes across as a bit boring. With all the new face sculpts, He-Man being a plain Jane rerun is disappointing. The current pics don't do him any favors as they really don't demonstrate a "proper look." He has some nifty stuff, but I'm just not seeing how it all "plays together".
Leo II is also a bit odd. He bucks the trend of how Turtle characters are being reinterpreted in this line, and much of the accessories don't feel to "fit" the ninja angle, in addition to a LOT of reuse (more noticeable compared to the assorted other reuses across the line). If anything, I get an "Eldor" vibe from the hood and skirt piece. I can almost see how Splinter might have started with Eldor inspirations, but (perhaps because he got bumped into the deluxe assortment?) the design shifted to King Grayskull (which would have been a better fit for Leo).

If ToG wraps at the end of this year...I can walk away happy. I would have liked some Snakemen, but they gave a damned solid set of figures.

Platypus Prime

Citizen
My favorite reveal is definitely the Collector. I don't remember much of it from the show, my first thought was "Wow, evil Talon Fighter rival!" when I saw the seating, with the Talon Fighter's "2+ Point Dread" meets the Collector's three.

Though that TOG Mer-Man is the first version of the character I've actually wanted.

PrimalxConvoy

NOT a New Member.
Citizen
Screenshot_20240327_130703.png

Screenshot_20240327_130741.png

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen

If it were Hasbro, Fan Channel just means online retailers. I guess to Mattel, Fan Channel means "OUR singular fan channel". But my observation is that Masterverse stuff doesn't sell out NEARLY as fast. It's Origins that gets the instant sell outs.
According to Pixel Dan's video...

"Fan Channel" is talking places like BBTS and Entertainment Earth. 26:36 is where he talks about it, and specifies which ones are going there.

That ship is neat, but what really gets me is Man-of-War and Thunder Punch He-Man in Masterverse. I have the Origins version of the latter, but man... that's one of my favorite versions of He-Man. But I don't want to get more Masterverse... /_\

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I'm glad to be proven wrong. You just never know how different companies approach some things anymore.

For additional details, Reptilax is actually available in a variant wave 19 case, replacing the extra CC Evil-Lynn that fills out the standard wave 19 case (2x Lynn, 1x CC Webstor and Orko Reissue). For those going full completion.
TriKlops will be the reissue with wave 18 (CC Stratos and Merman)

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
April, Hordak, Leo II and Stealth He-Man are wave 4, not due for release until actually into the fall, while the current wave 3 figures will hit late summer

Top Bottom