Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I usually go fire with the starters... but...KITTY!

Between Rowlet in Legends and now kitty-mon in Scarlet, I seem to be starting a disturbing trend towards grass-starters.

MEDdMI

Nonstop Baaka
Citizen
Per Google translate: cat is spoiled and whimsical, croc is laid back and self-paced, duck is serious and pretty.

Note: "kirei" (pretty) can also be interpreted as clean.

Caldwin

Citizen
I'm going to have to make a Sprigatito, Litten, Meowth, Shinx and Purrloin team. That should be a decent cover for typing.

EDIT: Wait, that's only 5. Need one more. Solgaleo!

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
They've already said there won't be every Pokemon in the game (like every game since LGPE) so here's hoping that at least Litten and Shinx make it in

I'm going Fuecoco. I'm legally obligated to pick the alligator, and it's also shaped like a pepper which is hilarious.

Caldwin

Citizen
C61AD788-1BA6-4AA5-BF65-36B13F2F0E79.jpeg

Got a shiny Exeggutor in GO at the mall. I will never understand the thought process of making it so tall that it won't fit on the screen.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
BDSP can now get a Mystery Gift of Oak's Letter, which unlocks the Shaymin event to go catch one. He's not shiny-locked, and will respawn if you just run away from the battle, run back down the path until the area name changes, and then return, so you can reset for a shiny if you're inclined.

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Oh, look you can get a shiny Piplup in Cafe Remix and Shaymin in BDSP...

And there's a Legends Arceus cartoon coming, along with DLC today for some new stuff (including some free balls with a code)....

Oh, who am I kidding? All anyone is going to care about is Gen 9!

Scarlet and Violet! Kind of weird name choices, honestly. But, if you look REAL close at the trailer you'll notice two shields around the...magic door at the end (in the live action segments). On the shields we see what appears to be Grapes (Violet) and....some sort of citrus fruit, maybe a blood orange or a grapefruit or possibly Figs since those are red on the inside and apparently big in Italy (for Scarlet). So...are the legendaries going to be fruit-themed? Although, I've seen some people speculate that it could actually be a reference to UltraViolet and InfraRed light...as in something outside our normal perception, maybe something to do with invisibility or other dimensions again.

It looks like this region will be themed around Spain. You can see a building that's probably inspired by the Sagrada Familia. And with all of Spain's ancient ruins and this trailer starting off in a archeologist's study, I'm guessing the story will likely revolve around a ancient civilization or ancient Pokemon.

The game itself looks like it's using the Legends Arceus engine, to me. That's probably a good idea. People are liking the changes Legends brought with it.

And then there's the new starters! I'm...lukewarm on them, honestly. The grass cat is cute, but, like always, any choices I make will depend on final forms and typings. Beret duck might have a interesting evolution line. And fire types are always so useful early on.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised we're getting Gen 9 this quickly. I kind of thought they'd take more time to tweak things after Legends Arceus came out. But...I'm getting it, for sure.

I kind of wonder what they're going to do about Gyms this time around. Will they throw us another curve ball like in SM or will they do something more traditional? Would they dare to do anything themed around Matadors in this day and age? That could be a new angle on it, like SWSH's use of big stadiums and being themed around football-type fights.

Also, does anyone know any Spanish-themed myths the Pokemon could take inspiration from this time around. I'm sure Spain has some myths Gamefreak could draw from...but they'd probably be like SWSH's, mostly based around warriors or sportsmen or conquistadors or something. Don Quixote seems likely (especially if there are invisible enemies around).

Also, have a theory video:

Last edited:

Thefakelink

Citizen
Has it been 3 years already? Geez.

I hope they keep a lot of the mechanics from PLA, specifically catching and battling in the overworld.

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
Well SW/SH came out in 2019. The DLC came in 2020, we got BD/SP in 2021, so ya by Nov this year it'll be three.

Caldwin

Citizen
BDSP can now get a Mystery Gift of Oak's Letter, which unlocks the Shaymin event to go catch one. He's not shiny-locked, and will respawn if you just run away from the battle, run back down the path until the area name changes, and then return, so you can reset for a shiny if you're inclined.
The only way I could find to get to route 224 (where this shiny Shaymin is waiting) is to go through Victory Road again. Not only have all the trainer encounters reset in the fog room, but I'd forgotten just how overboard on random encounters this hugging game is. So yes, if I'm going to go through all that jive, you can bet I can go through the hassle of making sure this damn Shaymin is going to be shiny.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Also, does anyone know any Spanish-themed myths the Pokemon could take inspiration from this time around. I'm sure Spain has some myths Gamefreak could draw from...but they'd probably be like SWSH's, mostly based around warriors or sportsmen or conquistadors or something. Don Quixote seems likely (especially if there are invisible enemies around).
The region based on France had legends inspired by Norse mythology, so I don't think that's necessarily a limit.

Caldwin

Citizen
Hug it. I have more things I wanted to do tonight than shiny hunt for a hugging Shaymin. I've been getting enough shinies lately anyway. Caught it and now I'm going back to Arceus...where I have another Shaymin waiting for me.

M. Virion

If Hell is forever, then Heaven must be a lie
Citizen
I've only had Fuecoco for a day and a half, but if anything happened to him... Yadda yadda rest of the meme.

No but seriously, Fuecoco may genuinely be my new favorite starter first form. I adore that funky little pepper croc.

Noideaforaname

Stone and Sky
Citizen
This was an eventful day.

New games! Kinda strange one's called Scarlet since it's a bit redundant with Red.
The stark difference between SwSh and PLA leaves me a bit unsure on what to expect from this game. Open world at least is encouraging.

Hot Pepper Gator is pretty amazing. Grass Cat is, well, a grass cat. The duck looks rather like Ducklett with a hat instead of a inner tube. I haven't been liking how "characterful" more recent starters have gotten (prefer the more animalistic earlier ones), so I'm a bit apprehensive on seeing what these things turn into.

Legends Arceus had a free content update! New missions, new mechanics, and that one Ginkgo salesman carries more than one item now! Thank god.

And
I found a whopping 5 shinies today, weee!
0BVgqkD.jpg

Top Bottom