Gotta Catch 'Em All! - Pokémon Thread

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
oh! Do the Pokemon and Megaman fandoms have a rivalry or something? Cause I may be a bit conflicted.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
Just the naming coincidence. Mega Man fans have been clamoring for a Legends 3 since the PS1 era (not least because 2 ended on a fairly depressing cliffhanger), and it's almost happened a few times, but it always falls through for various reasons.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I think the joke is...
Instead of getting Megaman Legends 3, we're getting Pokemon Legends Z.

Just the naming coincidence. Mega Man fans have been clamoring for a Legends 3 since the PS1 era (not least because 2 ended on a fairly depressing cliffhanger), and it's almost happened a few times, but it always falls through for various reasons.
You two got it!

I mean, then names are very phonetically similar.

oh! Do the Pokemon and Megaman fandoms have a rivalry or something? Cause I may be a bit conflicted.
None that I'm aware of. Maybe when Battle Network was hot there was something, but even then, I don't remember anything substantial beyond "Aww, don't tell me they're going to start making TWO versions of every game now!"

Daith

Bustin make feel Good!
Citizen
I almost made the same confused post for a minute before thinking about it. Gotta remember Nytetrayn is one of the resident Mega Man guy around here. Grateful for his site though, can never remember the last few boss weaknesses in most of the games.

Keep hearing that the game will be contained to Lumiose alone. Will this be the town as it’s being built similar to how the Galaxy Team was building in Arceus, just in a much larger scale. Will it even have similar battle mechanics? How do we catch Pokémon once the area is urbanized?

ZakuConvoy

Citizen
Fans can't even decide WHEN this game is supposed to take place.

In the future? Because of the "holograms" and the city already being built and now getting "re-developed"?

In the past? To reflect when the Eiffel Tower was getting built, and a lot of Paris was torn down to redesign the city. With the "holograms" just being a way to represent old school blueprints in 3D?

In a alternate present? Or maybe some time travel stuff? Or something like Assassin's Creed, where you re-enact the past with VR technology in the future?

If the game really does take place entirely within a already built Lumiose, that's actually a really big change. I'd guess that those 5 circles, which used to be plazas, will be full of stuff and probably expanded so that we can catch Pokemon in them. If it takes place in the future, maybe there's even something like the Terrarium in Blueberry Academy below the city.

And, personally, I do hope they've tweaked the combat a little. Everything with the catching mechanics was great in Legends Arceus, but something about the battles themselves always felt a bit off. Maybe there just weren't enough of them to really get used to the new mechanics, but something just felt unfamiliar with the battles.

Maybe our character is basically hired as a "dog catcher" for the city. And we just catch the unwanted Pokemon that are springing up different places in outbreaks around the city. That feels almost too dark for Pokemon, but maybe?

I've even see some people speculate that this Legends game won't play anything like Arceus did. Much like how LA experimented with changing the catching mechanic and a open world, THIS game might experiment with making Pokemon battles real-time. This might be the feature that the Synchro Machine was teasing. We might end up controlling our Pokemon during battles, with more action-oriented combat. We do see most of the trailer from the Pokemon's POV, after all.

It kind of depends. Does Gamefreak see "Legends" as a particular style of game, or do they see this sub-franchise as just a excuse to test out new mechanics that could be brought into the main games?

It's going to be interesting to see how accurate that trailer really was later.

Last edited:

Blot

Citizen
Taking the most boring Pokemon games and making the worst location in them the focus is a bold strategy, but one I should I have expected of Game Freak.

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
A word of warning, and YMMV, but the latest update of Pokemon Go appears to be buggy enough to crash my game every time it loads: I had to update another game I play this morning and saw an update for Go was available, so I went ahead and ran the update. Now, my game will load to the world map, but seems to crash when it tries to load the pokemon and restarts. I tried clearing the cache and uninstalling and reinstalling the game, but nothing has worked. The latest reviews from the last day or so are describing similar problems.

I guess what Im saying is, I wouldn't update unless it forces you.

abates

unfortunate shark issues
Citizen
There's a version 0.303.2 out which should fix that problem. Sounds like it was only happening with certain phones.

The Mighty Mollusk

Scream all you like, 'cause we're all mad here
Citizen
I maintain that Platinum was fine. It fixed most of the slowdown issues in DP, expanded the Pokedex, and did more with the story legendary. Unfortunately they don't like to acknowledge the third editions when doing remakes. (RIP Kris.)

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
There's a version 0.303.2 out which should fix that problem. Sounds like it was only happening with certain phones.

Indeed, the 0.303.2 update showed up today, and after the update, I could log right in. I use a Samsung phone, so I'm guessing whatever the bug was, it was only effecting Android phones? (and maybe not all Android phones?)

Anyway, Pokemon is working again after this last update!

Caldwin

Woobie Destroyer of Worlds
Citizen
I'm on iPhone 8. It had been a long while since I've played. It wouldn't let me automatically sign in, even after updating today. But I chose the option to sign in under another account and just put in my normal sign in info, went through connecting with my pokemon account (which I thought I already did), and I'm back in.

I wonder if maybe it just dumped my sign in info after a while of not playing?

Top Bottom