LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
The G1 Marvel Comics got the power levels right:

View attachment 12908

View attachment 12910

G1 Megatron, Shockwave, and Galvatron are three most powerful Decepticons. They are also the coolest.
Wow... I don't know if I ever realized what a downgrade G1 Galvatron is from G1 Megatron.

He loses half a point of strength -- if anything, I thought he was supposed to be stronger.

He loses an entire point and a half of intelligence! Though the bio doesn't mention it, I suppose one could chalk this up to his insanity?

Speed went way the hell up, five points! So that's something.

Up two points to maximum endurance, that's pretty good. I suppose that might help balance out the docked strength.

He actually went down a rank! One entire point! I guess positioning him as a "City Commander," it makes some sense that he'd be equal to Shockwave there. Or maybe this is counting when he is first made, and he got a new boss for a bit there. In other words, Unicron was the new 10, so everyone else would go down a point as a result. XD

Courage is the same. Go figure.

I'm surprised he loses a point in firepower! Guess if he's not pulling from black holes anymore, it makes sense.

And he went up a point in skill! Maybe that's because he doesn't need someone else to aim him in altmode any more? XD

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Keep in mind that Galvatron wasn't meant to be an upgraded Megatron in this version, he was supposed to be a "City Commander" and be equivalent to Ultra Magnus for the Autobots. It wasn't until the Movie that they decided to use him as an upgraded Megatron.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Keep in mind that Galvatron wasn't meant to be an upgraded Megatron in this version, he was supposed to be a "City Commander" and be equivalent to Ultra Magnus for the Autobots. It wasn't until the Movie that they decided to use him as an upgraded Megatron.
That's not entirely true. Galvatron was always going to be the upgraded version of Megatron, as evidenced by the first-draft script for TFTM being written before the first episode of the cartoon had even aired. The toy bio was simply written to not allude to his true identity so as to not spoil that reveal in the movie. Galvatron was one of the toys designed after the animation model, not the other way around like all the non-movie toys were.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You are correct and thank you for the clarification. I should have been more specific as I was referring to his tech-spec writings.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Yeah, well aware*, but thanks. =)

And Japan even managed to work the bio in anyway (God, I love that).

But bio aside, stats is stats, and In either case, the decrease in intelligence is surprising, and that was the only reason I could think of from any version of the character in the day to explain it.

* Actually, I wasn't aware that the movie was written before the first episode of the cartoon had aired -- I thought they did everything during season 2, maybe some of the later part of year 1.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
Sure, I just mean I thought the process had started after they'd had time to see it was a success.

And here people gave Inafune a hard time about announcing a cartoon for Mighty No. 9 before the game was out. Granted, that didn't work out nearly as well for him as this did Hasbro, but then, that's the entire point.

Last edited:

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Sure, I just mean I thought the process had started after they'd had time to see it was a success.

And hear people gave Inafune a hard time about announcing a cartoon for Mighty No. 9 before the game was out. Granted, that didn't work out nearly as well for him as this did Hasbro, but then, that's the entire point.
There's a reason Toy Galaxy gave TFTM the nickname of "Hasbro's Hubris". ;) 😛

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
G1 Megatron is ranked the #1 80’s villain:

E2D611D4-DF60-451A-A15F-64BA43666CE5.jpeg

G1 Megatron is stronger, smarter, and better than G1 Galvatron:

65649E1B-8BB8-4C99-B3D5-4F7AA78590F8.jpeg

He should not have ever been replaced with Galvatron.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I had the UK comic issue of where Megatron ripped off Cyclonus's head and I had (at the time) no clue what the hell was going on, thou sadly I no longer own that comic, it got binned years ago

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I’ve never understood how Starscream could come out on top in a Decepticon Battle Royale for leadership:

He seems to me lacking in strength, mass, size, power, intelligence and weaponry.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He's a sneak.

And I gotta be honest, as a kid who was smack-dab in the target demographic in 1986?

Megatron bored the piss out of me. I've grown to like him more with time, but then? Boring black and white/grey (at least, that's how it read to me on TV and the printed page) robot mode, boring Alt-mode... the only thing of real note to me was his fusion cannon.

But Galvatron? Oh my god, I loved Galvatron! He's purple! That's the Decepticons' color! He should totally be leading them! He has an orange fusion cannon (not really fusion cannon, but w/e)! I love orange! He turns into a space gun AND a big cannon! He doesn't need anyone to fire him anymore! He actually killed Starscream! He's been cosmically-empowered by robot Satan and has this cool crown of three horns and a goatee now! He'll blast his own men if they piss him off! He has an awesome voice (Welker's; I didn't hear Nimoy's until a bit later).

Not everything holds up as much today, but a lot of it does, though like I said, I've come to appreciate Megatron a lot more over the years, too.

But for kid me? Galvatron was the hypest shit when it came to Decepticons.

Know what the tragic part is?

I never got to own a Galvatron toy until 2008.

Yes, that one.

I will add that, for a happy ending, today I am the proud owner of a Titan Master Galvatron, a Generations Select Galvatron, and a Legacy Galvatron (and I almost never double up on a mold).

Edited: Damn autocorrect. You WILL respect Frank Welker, dammit!

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen

Yes, that one.

I will add that, for a happy ending, today I am the proud owner of a Titan Master Galvatron, a Generations Select Galvatron, and a Legacy Galvatron (and I almost never double up on a mold).

You mean Universe (2008):

92499D01-58BE-464D-8064-0F38CC2D283A.png

Titan Master:

645830E8-0586-4651-A76F-AE9776CFF883.png

Generations Select:

D9A26ED5-ABCA-4066-B8C2-3D2142DDA180.jpeg

and a Legacy:

808C5442-933F-4846-ABBB-024B6565FBCE.png

Aren’t you forgetting the original G1 Galvatron toy redecoed and re-released by Takara into a sort-of more show-like appearance, being primarily purple instead of gray?

152359DD-BAA8-4C36-BE91-4993A285D1B5.png

Last edited:

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
That old Universe Galvatron ranks among the worse TFs made, whoever at Hasbro decided to change his size class from voyager to deluxe was a idiot if you ask me because the figure suffered as a result, thou I kind of would like for them to try again using that desgin but stay at the voyager scale, thou I doult it will happen, but then Galvatron has been a victim of bad choices over the years, the TR figure ok but I never liked the flip up mask or how his cannon in robot mode covers his arm and then you can't do anything with it! Of course we all know what happened with the Kingdom figure where copies had the shoulders put on incorrectly and that was wide spread, plus the battle damage paint, so I think Galvatron has been very much a victim of bad choices when it comes to toys

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I wanted to own G1 Galvatron in toy form because I felt small and weak, and I would imagine that with the G1 Galvatron toy I could do this to those who bullied me:

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
You mean Universe (2008):

View attachment 13059

Titan Master:

View attachment 13060

Generations Select:

View attachment 13061

and a Legacy:

View attachment 13062

Aren’t you forgetting the original G1 Galvatron toy redecoed and re-released by Takara into a sort-of more show-like appearance, being primarily purple instead of gray?

View attachment 13063
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and no -- I don't own that last one, unfortunately.

I'm certainly not against owning it, or the original G1, for that matter, but those stars have just never aligned.

I will say that the GS and Legacy ones fill the gap for me pretty well, especially after ordering a 3D printed version of the rifle that the GS version now holds proudly.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
He's a sneak.

And I gotta be honest, as a kid who was smack-dab in the target demographic in 1986?

Megatron bored the piss out of me. I've grown to like him more with time, but then? Boring black and white/grey (at least, that's how it read to me on TV and the printed page) robot mode, boring Alt-mode... the only thing of real note to me was his fusion cannon.

But Galvatron? Oh my god, I loved Galvatron! He's purple! That's the Decepticons' color! He should totally be leading them! He has an orange fusion cannon (not really fusion cannon, but w/e)! I love orange! He turns into a space gun AND a big cannon! He doesn't need anyone to fire him anymore! He actually killed Starscream! He's been cosmically-empowered by robot Satan and has this cool crown of three horns and a goatee now! He'll blast his own men if they piss him off! He has an awesome voice (Walker's; I didn't hear Nimoy's until a bit later).

Not everything holds up as much today, but a lot of it does, though like I said, I've come to appreciate Megatron a lot more over the years, too.

But for kid me? Galvatron was the hypest shit when it came to Decepticons.

Know what the tragic part is?

Yes, that one.

This is exactly why I've always considered Galvatron the leader of the Decepticons in my Gizmo-verse. Megatron was always so boring to me, so when I was 13 years old and went to see TF:TM in the theater, and they killed off Megatron and made him Galvatron, it was one of the greatest cinema moments of my childhood. It made a lasting impression on me and from that point on, Galvatron was my Decepticon leader.

Top Bottom