G1 Transformers Size, Power, and Mass

Haywire

Collecter of Gobots and Godzilla
Citizen
Fun fact: when Bandai revived the Machine Robo line (the line that the GoBots were made from) in the early 2000s as Machine Robo Rescue, Hasbro released 2 figures in their then-current Universe line, Ratchet and Inferno, as a subset called Machine Robot Rescue. Things have changed a lot since then, but at that time, I think someone at Hasbro was very antagonistic towards GoBots or letting Bandai bring Machine Robo back to the US.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
Also IDK what you meant when you asked why GoBots isn't more popular, like if you're asking 'why isn't it more popular nowadays' the answer is pretty simple: because it's a dead franchise.

Obviously a franchise being dead doesn't mean that it has zero fans whatsoever and there's obviously enough GoBots fans within the Transformers fandom for Hasbro (or its licensees) to be more willing to reference and actually do stuff with the GoBots franchise and characters in recent years, but I'd say overall most people (if they even remember/are aware of GoBots to begin with) would just think of it has being that 'failed also-ran competitor to Transformers from the 80s' and the butt of cheap jokes about knock-offs and things like that.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
GoBots was overshadowed by Transformers even in the 80’s.

It had the backing of Tonka, probably the most well-known toy manufacturer for boys.

So it must have been the cartoon that was not attracting and keeping the kids.

The GoBots cartoon was made by Hanna-Barbara which in retrospect did not produce cartoons with staying power. The Super Friends which is probably one their most notable cartoons has dropped off the face of the earth, only being used as a footnote or the butt of jokes in modern media.

Gizmoboy

Administrator
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I know I owned 3 or 4 Gobots before I got my first Transformer. It wasn't until my best friend bought Wheeljack and I got to play with him that I realized Transformers was better. Then, when you add the cartoon and story, I was sold forever after that.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
With the GoBots everything seemed to be in scale; the figures fit with the vehicles, bases, and play sets.

The biggest criticism of Transformers is the incompatibility.

I sort of would like to be able to board and load all the Autobots into Omega Supreme and be able to have that realistic play value.

Haywire

Citizen
The Transformers had better marketing. Period. The Autobot and Decepticon emblems, the rubsigns, the dynamic anime-like cartoon, the Marvel comic, even the higher pricing all worked together to give Transformers the impression of being the "name brand". The smaller Transformers were in no way better than the smaller scale GoBots. The DX Gobots were largely designed with a different aesthetic, and so seemed jankier than their contemporary Transformers counterparts, but compare DX Leader-1 to a vintage G1 Starscream; Leader-1 has working landing gear, Starscream has a stick with a wheel on it IF you haven't lost it already (along with the wings, fists, missles, etc.)

And, yeah, as a franchise, GoBots is largely dead. Hasbro does manage to throw us GoBots fans a bone once in a while, but they would have to work a deal with Bandai to ever revisit the original GoBots designs. Even Bandai's Machine Robo toyline seems to get only sporadic revivals in Japan, though there is a current line called Unitroborn.

20230530_134858.jpg

20230530_134948.jpg

Not official names: Tree Rex, Psych Bus, Shutter Bird, and Sky-Byte's cousin Kwik-Byte.

Last edited:

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
Tonka made the best toys at the time with battery-powered electronics, action features, lights, springs, motors, mechanics, putting all the modern engineering into their toys.

GoBots seemed like it successfully merged Transformers with Maters of the Universe type electronics, action features, and gimmicks.

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I was in error. It was Stomper that I liked in the 80’s:

It was not Tonka. I can see now why the GoBots failed. Hasbro was just a better toy company than Tonka.

Princess Viola

Dumbass Asexual
Citizen
The GoBots cartoon was made by Hanna-Barbara which in retrospect did not produce cartoons with staying power. The Super Friends which is probably one their most notable cartoons has dropped off the face of the earth, only being used as a footnote or the butt of jokes in modern media.
I will not stand for this Scooby-Doo erasure.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
The large majority of GoBots toys weren't even made by Tonka. They were made by Popy and Bandai, while Tonka merely had the license to import those toys from Japan.

The few GoBots toys Tonka did make were the Command Center, Thruster, Zod, Scales, the Boomer Vehicles, the Space Hawk, the canceled GoBotron Fortress, and the six Kids Meal toys exclusive to Wendy's fast-food restaurants. Everything else in the GoBots line was a Japanese toy.

Last edited:

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'd be happy with updates of the few Tonka-originals Hasbro owns, but I know they're not the most popular designs even by GoBots standards. But that's probably why I like them.

Haywire

Citizen
I'd like to see someone tackle the Gobotron Fortress. Seems like some enterprising 3rd party would try to make it a reality.

Also, I think the Guardian Command Center could have been a potential retool of SkyLynx.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
...I had no idea this was a thing. Or going to be, at least.

Also, from Facebook, shared as an image since FB has to be weird about sharing:

1685528990800.png

Frankly, I was hoping to hear from Screwhead...

Yeah, that's what I'm-- oh. Oh no...

ooo-baby

BANNED
Citizen
I was horrified and scared for Chip Chase when he was kidnapped by the Decepticons:

What were they going to do to him, especially after what happened to Dr. Arkeville. Soundwave sounded so sinister and Ravage was so rough with Chip. He just threw him into Starscream like a rag doll.

They were really evil to humans in those early g1 episodes. I wondered what else they were capable of doing to Chip to extract that information. My mind went to some dark places.

Top Bottom