G1 Episodes in Select Theaters in May

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
And no one is going to mention Greg Berger's portrayal of Spike?

Really whiny and annoying, to an almost comical degree. The kind of acting one does to mock a character.
Frankly, it just reminded me of the voice he used for a teenage boy he played in an episode of The Jetsons.

CoffeeHorse

*sip*
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I can't muster any sympathy. If you don't sign your art and archive it somewhere other than twitter, don't complain when you see it making the rounds with no source. You didn't want people to be able to find the source ever again.

ZacWilliam1

Citizen
Saw the show at noon today for my Birthday. It was good but maybe a hair long. I think, idealy I would have cut episode 4 or replaced it with a really fun fast paced episode. (Transport to Oblivion is just a little slow after watching 3 eps already.)

The Table read was interesting but distracting. It was very weird to hear different reads of lines than your used to.

-ZacWilliam, still a fun birthday afternoon

Xero

Citizen
Went today with my wife and daughter. Pretty full, 80%. The crowd really enjoyed the re-read. I thought it was great, on target, and totally worth the experience. The guy doing Chris Lattas work was great, loved his Starscream. The guy doing Jazz was right on, I wouldn't have known it wasn't Scatman except I know he's no longer with us. Greg Berger was strangely the worst of the reworks, Cliff jumper didn't work for me, but whatever. His spike didn't bother me. I liked the slightly aged version of all the characters, Bumblebee, Prowl, and Hound.

Seeing both Cullen and Welker doing the characters 40 years on was pretty amazing. Soundwave basically being Dr. Claw was fun. Megatron's inflection was enough different to be interesting. Cullen is just a pro, both Prime and Ironhide were just spot on.

My kid has been doing a lot more school band, and she had so much fun hearing all the instrumentation -- usage of instruments that she is playing. Seeing the bots on the big screen at near actual size was great.

I could have just done with the pilot episodes and then more commercials or whatever. Good time all in all.

LBD "Nytetrayn"

Broke the Matrix
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
I'm curious how Cullen's Prime was. He's been doing the solemn, aged leader version of Prime for so long... did he bring that extra everyman spark that Prime had early on?

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I'm curious how Cullen's Prime was. He's been doing the solemn, aged leader version of Prime for so long... did he bring that extra everyman spark that Prime had early on?
He tried. He really tried.

Though the age in his voice was very apparent, it was honestly one of the most uplifting Optimus performances he's done in recent years, trying to lean more into that classic "John Wayne"-esque voice he did all those years ago instead of the grim, tired old soldier he's been playing as of late.

Andrusi

Lun!
Citizen
I can't muster any sympathy. If you don't sign your art and archive it somewhere other than twitter, don't complain when you see it making the rounds with no source. You didn't want people to be able to find the source ever again.
That doesn't mean it isn't still a dick move on Botcon's part.

Or bizarre that their phrasing seems to imply they think whether it's fine depends on whether it's posted on Facebook or on Twitter...?

Donocropolis

Olde-Timey Member
Staff member
Council of Elders
Citizen
That doesn't mean it isn't still a dick move on Botcon's part.

Or bizarre that their phrasing seems to imply they think whether it's fine depends on whether it's posted on Facebook or on Twitter...?

I don't think they were using it as a "because we found it on Facebook, we don't HAVE to credit anyone!" so much as a "Here's a cool thing we saw on Facebook. Don't know where it came from, but thought you might like to see it."

And once they did know where it came from, they did everything they could to get the credit to the proper person.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
That cup and bucket set is going for $50 on ebay right now. o_O
They were almost $25 to buy from the theater. (Granted, that's full of popcorn and soda, but still.)
And no one is going to mention Greg Berger's portrayal of Spike?
Lots of people laughed at that at the showing I went to. Also, is no one going to mention the hyper episode credits? Ludicrous speed!

A pretty fun experience overall. I did find it a bit jarring that they didn't bother with any vocal processing, so for the evening's performance Soundwave was played by Dr. Claw.

I'm hoping that at least the reread of episode 1 makes it to home media of some sort, it would be nice to add to the collection.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
Also, is no one going to mention the hyper episode credits? Ludicrous speed!
I mentioned it.

I did find it a bit jarring that they didn't bother with any vocal processing, so for the evening's performance Soundwave was played by Dr. Claw.
Just like ROTF/DOTM Soundwave and Prime Soundwave. ;)

Truth be told, I actually read Marvel Soundwave with the non-vocoded Dr. Claw voice, as it better fits the greater range of emotion he has in those comics compared to his more emotionally-neutral depiction in the G1 cartoon.

Sabrblade

Continuity Nutcase
Citizen
I never realized before watching this event that Starscream has such a punchable face.
Tud3_starscream_smirkiest.jpg

Hmm... Yep. That's a face definitely needing a punch.

DefaultOption

Sourball
Citizen
Apparently they're so excited to announce that they're un-privating the listings for eps. 1-4 on their YT channel that they went to the trouble of making an announcement video.

(They're going live again on Friday June 14th, for those that can't endure the thirty seconds of anticipation)

Top Bottom