Ezra Miller is somehow The Flash in the DCEU

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen

I dunno how Ezra is being treated now that the movie is out but is it related to how the movie is supposedly a flop? Separating the artist from the medium and all that, I thought the movie was a ton of fun. Better than Shazam 2. I enjoyed it over Spiderverse. It's not bad at all so I don't get why it's considered a flop.

Btw, teeth are... Dead cells? What's the science? Hair and nails are keratin and grow (?) but teeth are bones. But bones also heal up, right? Soooooo...

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Well, I hope so. I thought it was really good.

But I thought Black Adam ala the Justice Society movie was great too and it was apparently a flop too.

Steevy Maximus

Well known pompous pontificator
Citizen
Pretty sure the term applies to box office performance, i.e. $$$.

So this movie being The Fla$h and not The Fla$$$h means it's a box office flop.

Streaming and home video might turn it around, though, hard to say.

Well, I hope so. I thought it was really good.

But I thought Black Adam ala the Justice Society movie was great too and it was apparently a flop too.
To be fair, though, just about ALL the big releases this year have been soft to lackluster, short Disney remakes and Marvel films. Mario was a surprise hit, and John Wick 4 is building on 3 very well received films to a conclusion of sorts. But Fast X? Won’t break $150 million domestically. D&D will struggled to creep to 95 million and the foreign box office was soft there as well (despite some of the stronger reviews of the current crop of big releases). Elemental is a bona-fide bomb. And I’m not expecting Indiana Jones to get far past $150 million domestic (against a nearly $300 million budget) and I don’t expect Haunted Mansion to blip on most radars.

I think a big issue facing these films has been budget management. Consumers aren’t hitting the movies as strong as they used to, pre pandemic. I think given the increasing costs and hassle of going to theatres is taking its toll (it costs me $20 for an average film viewing, with a drink, during a matinee pricing, and my area is cheap). Families don’t have the time or budget to hit ALL these films, or go weekly at such prices.
And that’s combined with the undermining done by studios during the pandemic and immediately after. Disney’s decision to release several Pixar films on Disney+, I feel, HAS undermined the perceived value of the brand. Boss Level, Extraction and Prey were all theatrical quality releases left to streaming. Unless Mission Impossible really nails it, John Wick 4 and Extraction 2 are neck and neck in terms of the year’s best action flick. And Mission Impossible cost more to make than both of them COMBINED.

DC, in general, still needs to shake off the “stank” from the Snyder films. And better budget control. At $220 million, Flash clearly had some “embellishment” that it probably didn’t need. And up to $260 million for C and D list characters in Black Adam? Not even The Rock has THAT level of pull at the box office.

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
I think Mission Impossible will be the biggest movie of the year, despite what the media says, REAL stunts, not CGI and Paramount I believe are very confidet in the movie that the bumped up the UK release date by a day to the 10th of July, Indi 5 I think is likely to flop, its got a lot against it, like bad word of mouth from its debut, a lot of ill will towards Lucasfilm in general after years of stupidy, of course, I believe Indi 4 was received badly, one of the lead roles is played by a unlikable actress and that is on top of the bloated budget, its one of the most expensive films of all time, so there very little chance that the film will make bank! Elementals is going to bomb for sure, families aren't trusting Disney any more, the studio behind Mario & Minions is the king of kids movies currently, thus Disney have lost their core audience, their excuse is that they have trained families to wait for the films to come onto Disney Plus, even thou the number of people subbed to their service is going DOWN!!!

As for the Flash, from what I heard, its a mess of a movie and a product of the various regime changes at Warner and the budget is believed to be much higher than they have actually said it is

Dessl0ck

Citizen
The Flash movie, much like the first season of the CW show when it came out, is honestly better than it has any right to be, nay, in spite of itself (the movie). But as was mentioned before, because this continuity was shit-canned it really doesnt serve much of a purpose apart from a book-end. And even that isn't the case due to Aquaman 2 coming out, so the movie is in a bad spot to begin with, their best bet would have been to have not shown Barry's face during the hearing then we see it is a different actor, but they used that gag elsewhere.

Fero McPigletron

Feel the fear!
Citizen
Oh, I should check for a Pixar thread, in case folks have opinions on Elemental. But I lost faith on Pixar due to Lightyear being bad and Turning Red being streaming.

Anyhow, how's Ezra's chances of staying in the Gunn verse?

Superomegaprime

Wondering bot
Citizen
About as good as Snyders.

With Snyder, the old regime pretty much used him as a escape goat for their own failures, they were in a rush to get their own shared universe off the ground, which is why they did a hop, a skip and a jump approch to DC, if they had just worked on setting up the characters prior to Justice League, that film wouldn't of been a big mess nor would Bat V Sup, if you look at Snyder cut of JL, there is a lot baggage because they spent ages setting up all of the various characters, like Cyborg, the Flash, when they could of been setup seperately, if they just done Man of Steal, Wonder Woman, Aquaman and the Flash before bring them together, I think DC live action movies wouldn't be such a mess and this Flash movie, should of been the End Game story for the Flash's character arc instead of trying to use it to spring board a rebound into another mess!

Spin-Out

terminal shitposter
Citizen
1687746648270.png

IT'S MORBIN' TIME

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
That’s a bad enough comparison, but’s worse when you consider Morbius cost about 1/3rd as much as Flash.

Rhinox

too old for this
Citizen
So can we go ahead and call the Snyderverse dead now? Or will we insist upon the next Aquaman for the final nail?

I keep hearing people say that James Gunn considers Blue Beetle to be the first of the 'new DCEU' so it may avoid this fate.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Finally got around to see it and…I thought it was pretty good. That said, it’s hard to shake a lot of the “meta issues” surrounding it. Ezra Miller actually turned in a fantastic performance across his 3 incarnations, and Ben Affleck finally nailed Batman in his final appearance.
But I’ve never seen a movie that cost this much look so damn “cheap”. Seriously, that initial rescue sequence was UNFATHOMABLY awful in terms of its effects, and the “chrono-bowl”, while a novel concept, keeps the uncanny valley well in play. If anything, the endless Easter eggs, cameos, and set pieces actually take away from the fundamentally solid structure of the film. It suffers the same issue almost all the DCEU films ended up suffering: undue escalation. We’ve had this Flash as a supporting player in two versions of the same film (and it’s not clear which one is “canon” to the film), and a few cameos. It’s the same issue as with Dawn of Justice- we haven’t spent enough time with this character, this world, to be invested when it all gets changed.

As a nerd, I LOVED the Easter eggs and cameos. That said…I was miffed said elements were exclusively the purview of Batman 89 and Superman. Aside from a Teddy Spears derived Jay Garrick, there were no cameos from ANY of the other live action iterations of Flash. (Almost as if the film guys don’t know or care they had a near decade running series featuring the character…).
And lord knows they would have cost less than the likeness rights to some of the actors they featured.

Going back to the budget, it is weird to think that this is a film that is both TOO expensive..yet clearly didn’t have enough budget for its ambitions. Another fallacy of the superhero genre the film falls into is the bloated 3rd Act set piece.

Again, I think it’s a fine film on its own. But, I think “the meta” offers too many issues that will dog the film for years. Ignoring those issues, I think I like it better than most of the DCEU, for whatever that’s worth these days.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
I saw a thing where Teddy Sears was labelled as no actor of note. Dunno if true.
To me, it looked like one of those AI composite images. I think it ended up looking like Sears because he's pretty much the only actor to play "Jay Garrick" besides John Wesley Shipp (whose metadata is probably tied more to The Flash, than Sears) and searching "Jay Garrick" turns up a LOT of meta data associated with him in that role.

Steevy Maximus

Citizen
Another “milestone” for the film will probably be its cratering drops this weekend. In addition to losing nearly 1/3 of its screens, the drop off for this weekend is projected to be 67% for a measly $5 million.
The Flash is now playing in FEWER theaters than Transformers, in that film’s fourth weekend, and made about $2 million less at the box office this past weekend.

Top Bottom